Victor Hobson

Gainzo

I dont think Hobson will fare well having to fight off big linemen on run plays on the inside. He isnt particularly fast, but his coverage duties should be primarily limited to zone coverage at which he should be ok. He isnt going to give the Pats an inside pass rush (in my opinion). He should be average. 3-4 ILB isnt really a glamor position anyway so he may do alright. He isnt a long term solution to Bruschi but he should give Mayo some time to develop.

BTW if Hobson does have an outstanding season inside for the Pats what does that say about Mangini's ability to put guys in the right position? I dont think it will happen, but if it does it wont do anything to enhance Mangini's reputation.

He was played outside because he was better than the other OLB options on roster (like Bowens or Murrell or Devito, who still spelled him on obvious pass-downs). It doesn't speak to Mangini's talent evaluation at all, but rather the lack of talent on defense.

It would be similar to us playing Ty Law at CB at this stage in his career...He's probably better suited to playing a safety spot right now, but he would clearly be the best CB2 on our roster, so that's where he'd play.

Hobson is merely there for depth. This is not like the Pats getting Bryan Cox in 2001.

IMO, he has the opportunity to be a situational player. Likely on obvious run downs with Bruschi and Mayo. At this juncture, Seaus replacement.

I like his chances. Ex Jets have panned out really good for NE.

You guys have seen him play a heck of a lot more than I have. What do you think of this blog (from Pats passing camp) post by Pats beat writer Mike Reiss?

Does the guy have talent? Was he playing out of position as an OLB in Mangini's defense?

Nothing that stands out physically pretty much sums up Hobson in a nutshell. He's not a horror, but he doesn't add much. He's cheap and the Pats LBs were 100, so you'll probably be happy with him, but not in love. I don't think it makes a difference where he plays.

As for him leading the huddle he was on the Jets for some time and Vilma and Harris both came in and took over signal calling duties and I never once heard any mention of him helping. They specifically talked up Barton for helping Harris with the signals. That may be a function of being inside, but still... Never heard anything bad about his work habits and he seemed to be a good soldier and durable.

Yeah Hobson,I personally cant wait til his slow @ss gets whiffed by when Washington blows by him...oh yeah and when T. Jones stiff arms his soft butt to the ground. Oh yes it will happen,just like it did to him when he was here...trader bazt@rd. We've only upgraded over him anyway w Gholston and Pace.

I thought he was too slow to play on the outside. The Jets chose to keep Barton on the inside rather than keep Hobson around... ? Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Some guys really respond to a change of scenery, especially when that scenery's in NE, so maybe he'll work out for you. I don't think many Jet fans were too upset about losing him, though. The fact that he only signed a one year deal tells you he wasn't in too high demand anywhere.

Probably just a case of slow slower slowest. The Jets must have considered him as an ILB though. Remember, they have watched hin play IN GAMES for 3 years. He did not make any tackles last year but I always thought he was a fair blitzer.

He was played outside because he was better than the other OLB options on roster (like Bowens or Murrell or Devito, who still spelled him on obvious pass-downs). It doesn't speak to Mangini's talent evaluation at all, but rather the lack of talent on defense.

It would be similar to us playing Ty Law at CB at this stage in his career...He's probably better suited to playing a safety spot right now, but he would clearly be the best CB2 on our roster, so that's where he'd play.

You might be right. Still I think if your only playing Hobson outside because he's the only available option you move to replace him more quickly, move Hobson inside, and you let Brad Kassell go. But, you make a good point.

IMO, he has the opportunity to be a situational player. Likely on obvious run downs with Bruschi and Mayo. At this juncture, Seaus replacement.

I like his chances. Ex Jets have panned out really good for NE.

There is a difference between Hobson and guys like Victor Green and Bryan Thomas. Green and Thomas were good players.

Victor Hobson sucks.

Archived