Victor Hobson

Gainzo

You guys have seen him play a heck of a lot more than I have. What do you think of this blog (from Pats passing camp) post by Pats beat writer Mike Reiss?

Victor Hobson leads the huddle. In making the switch from outside linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 alignment to inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment, sixth-year veteran Victor Hobson will be a player to watch in the ensuing months. If he can pull off the switch, and give the Patriots some quality play at a spot that has traditionally been difficult to fill, he could be one of the NFL's best under-the-radar signings. Hobson was leading the defensive huddle throughout the practice, and there was nothing that stood out physically (e.g. footwork) that would make one think Hobson can't make the move.

Does the guy have talent? Was he playing out of position as an OLB in Mangini's defense?

You guys have seen him play a heck of a lot more than I have. What do you think of this blog (from Pats passing camp) post by Pats beat writer Mike Reiss?

Does the guy have talent? Was he playing out of position as an OLB in Mangini's defense?

He was our most talented defender. If only Mangini had considered moving him over one-spot to ILB. :yawn:

He was our most talented defender. If only Mangini had considered moving him over one-spot to ILB. :yawn:

Don't you think that might be a little bit of a stretch? While I agree it would appear that he is better suited a ILB I can't imagine he was your most talented defender.

Whatever Gonzo. Quit trying to deflect away from the cheatriots. :lol:

You got me man. What was I thinking starting a thread about a football player who just moved from the Jets to the Pats?

Whatever Gonzo. Quit trying to deflect away from the cheatriots. :lol:

I think you're obsessed, this thread shows why gainzo is a millions times better a poster than you are.

Back on Topic, That guy is probably a homer. at best Hobson will be serviceable.

I thought he was too slow to play on the outside. The Jets chose to keep Barton on the inside rather than keep Hobson around... ? Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Some guys really respond to a change of scenery, especially when that scenery's in NE, so maybe he'll work out for you. I don't think many Jet fans were too upset about losing him, though. The fact that he only signed a one year deal tells you he wasn't in too high demand anywhere.

I guess it's impossible to have intelligent football discussion with posts like yours.

Sperm, BP, SoFla, 124, 4H, etc. Can you give me your thoughts on Hobson and how he will fit playing ILB? Thanks in advance.

The fact that he only signed a one year deal tells you he wasn't in too high demand anywhere.

Great point and thanks for the insight. Bruschi and Seau (if he returns) are 100 years old so I hope Hobson is at least serviceable on rushing downs.

I think you're obsessed, this thread shows why gainzo is a millions times better a poster than you are.

Back on Topic, That guy is probably a homer. at best Hobson will be serviceable.

I'm sorry, I missed the memo that said I wasn't allowed to joke around with my fellow Patriots fans here too. Could you get me a copy of that rule book? The one that doesn't say all posters by the name of Alk should be banned? kay thanks!!

Don't you think that might be a little bit of a stretch? While I agree it would appear that he is better suited a ILB I can't imagine he was your most talented defender.

So, you like your sarcasm extra-thick today?

Okay, Hobson was not only our best defender, he practically QB'd our defense.... His savvy play and tackling skills were so consistent that the team rewarded him with an extended contract, but he refused to play for a non-contender. His talent status made him the prized acquisition of the league's darling Patriots, where he looks to personally captain his new team back to the promised land, in his pants.

So, you like your sarcasm extra-thick today?

Okay, Hobson was not only our best defender, he practically QB'd our defense.... His savvy play and tackling skills were so consistent that the team rewarded him with an extended contract, but he refused to play for a non-contender. His talent status made him the prized acquisition of the league's darling Patriots, where he looks to personally captain his new team back to the promised land, in his pants.

Thicker please. It's still dripping off the spoon. :lol:

He was definitely playing out of position in the 34 at OLB. He had a nice quick start in 2006 but in 2007 dropped off his game considerably. He has the talent to play both positions, but at OLB he's really just a good back-up / reserve that you can use every once in a while. He could start and play well at ILB in the 34, IMO. But the Patriots have Bruschi and Mayo, so I'm sure Hobson will be a role player only playing 10-15 snaps a game, baring injuries.

He was definitely playing out of position in the 34 at OLB. He had a nice quick start in 2006 but in 2007 dropped off his game considerably. He has the talent to play both positions, but at OLB he's really just a good back-up / reserve that you can use every once in a while. He could start and play well at ILB in the 34, IMO. But the Patriots have Bruschi and Mayo, so I'm sure Hobson will be a role player only playing 10-15 snaps a game, baring injuries.

Thanks for that.

I'm thinking that Mayo won't see a lot of time next season. It was weird enough to see the Pats draft a linebacker in the 1st round it will be even weirder if he gets more playing time over a veteran like Hobson.

I guess it's impossible to have intelligent football discussion with posts like yours.

Sperm, BP, SoFla, 124, 4H, etc. Can you give me your thoughts on Hobson and how he will fit playing ILB? Thanks in advance.

Sorry Gainzo,

I didn't mean to retard the conversation. I think Hobson has the right size to play the position, and he definitely has some experience playing in a two-gap scheme. Mangini likes all of his players to know all of the roles, so at any given moment an OLB knows the gap-responsibilities of the ILBs and secondary.... So the playbook is there (in his head).

I personally thought he was played out of position. He's not a pass-rusher by any means, and doesn't shed blocks particularly well. I'm sure he's much better off playing inside behind Wilfork and Co. than he was playing outside behind our shoddy DL (last year).

All in all, I think he's got the understanding of his role.... beyond that, he's a marginal player. I wouldn't get too excited about him teaching the younger players (Mayo, Crable, Woods, Ruud) how to adjust to the 34; because he's probably just a stop-gap for the rookies to develop. Similar to Chatham, Poteat, Hawkins, for us....

Older players who know "the system" not superstars.

By the way, this post has such a whiny tone to it... Maybe if you let me crash on your couch once in a while I could get added to your list of "intelligent" posters? :)

I like leather from the 70s :)

By the way, this post has such a whiny tone to it... Maybe if you let me crash on your couch once in a while I could get added to your list of "intelligent" posters? :)

I like leather from the 70s :)

The leather is from the early 80's jackass :P

Thanks for your input on Hobson. I don't want him playing outside but think he will do well inside. As you said Wilfork, Seymour & Warren are much better than anything you guys had last year.

ALK isnt thinking clearly these days,,he is too excited thinking about the upcoming College Football season, and rooting for his beloved Oklahoma Sooners

He has his good games and his bad games. Last year it was more of the latter & eventually lost his starting job. Truthfully, I (like many) never understood keeping him at OLB in the 3-4. He's too slow to get to the passer (except for coverage sacks).

On the plus side, I don't remember him being in on either Herm's or Mangini's s***t list for dogging it or committing outrageous penalties. Further, he is (or was) a pretty sure tackler - when he managed to get there in time - who has outstanding size for his new position. His straightaway speed shouldn't be the hindrance inside that it was on the perimeter as a rusher. Also it will help that he has a formidable front line in front of him that has been absent on the Jets for the better part of 3 straight years; the last two in particular.

He was a bit of a reach in the draft (2nd round was just stupid), so don't go by that any more than Jets fans should look glowingly upon Calvin Pace being a first rounder once.

At worst, he'll make a top-notch backup. He's dirt-cheap; has potential (based on his physical skill-set) to play ILB; and in a pinch can be moved outside since he has a couple years experience in a nearly identical system. I'm sure the terminology is pretty damn close as well, so that's always a nice head start for any player.

You won't be unhappy with him this year. Don't know if the team will be happy enough to lock him up for longer after the year is up, but if he doesn't make the starting lineup, there are worse second-stringers out there than Victor Hobson.

He's what, 27 years old-in his prime, having been a starter in the league for almost his entire career. He hits the open market in a season where there really aren't alot of FA LB's and gets absolutely no interest whatsoever. None, nada, zilch. If the Pats didn't finally give him a deal he either would have been praying for a LB injury somewhere during TC/preseason or he was heading to Canada. He is painfully slow, has poor footwork, and extremely stiff in coverage. Let's put it this way-If he's starting at ILB for the Pats you guys are in for a hell of alot of hurt.

He has his good games and his bad games. Last year it was more of the latter & eventually lost his starting job. Truthfully, I (like many) never understood keeping him at OLB in the 3-4. He's too slow to get to the passer (except for coverage sacks).

On the plus side, I don't remember him being in on either Herm's or Mangini's s***t list for dogging it or committing outrageous penalties. Further, he is (or was) a pretty sure tackler - when he managed to get there in time - who has outstanding size for his new position. His straightaway speed shouldn't be the hindrance inside that it was on the perimeter as a rusher. Also it will help that he has a formidable front line in front of him that has been absent on the Jets for the better part of 3 straight years; the last two in particular.

He was a bit of a reach in the draft (2nd round was just stupid), so don't go by that any more than Jets fans should look glowingly upon Calvin Pace being a first rounder once.

At worst, he'll make a top-notch backup. He's dirt-cheap; has potential (based on his physical skill-set) to play ILB; and in a pinch can be moved outside since he has a couple years experience in a nearly identical system. I'm sure the terminology is pretty damn close as well, so that's always a nice head start for any player.

You won't be unhappy with him this year. Don't know if the team will be happy enough to lock him up for longer after the year is up, but if he doesn't make the starting lineup, there are worse second-stringers out there than Victor Hobson.

Good insight as always. The Pats rotate their LB's so I'm not expecting him to be a starter. Does being a starter even matter anymore with all of the different D packages that teams run?

BTW: I don't give a crap where a player is drafted. The best player the Pats have had (apart from Brady) over the last 14 years was Troy Brown. He wasn't even drafted.

Where am I?:penguin::Nuts:

Hobson is what he is, average. He can serve as a capable stopgap as the team grooms mayo if need be. Nothing to write home about though.

Where am I?:penguin::Nuts:

Hobson is what he is, average. He can serve as a capable stopgap as the team grooms mayo if need be. Nothing to write home about though.

My apologies.

I don't think he is going to be anything more than a serviceable ILB. As long as he doesn't screw up I will be happy.

i always thought he was a good tackler

but i'm probably wrong, i was usually watching elsewhere

I thought he was too slow to play on the outside. The Jets chose to keep Barton on the inside rather than keep Hobson around... ? Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Some guys really respond to a change of scenery, especially when that scenery's in NE, so maybe he'll work out for you. I don't think many Jet fans were too upset about losing him, though. The fact that he only signed a one year deal tells you he wasn't in too high demand anywhere.

There certainly wasn't any huge rush to sign him either as he lingered as a FA for weeks.

I dont think Hobson will fare well having to fight off big linemen on run plays on the inside. He isnt particularly fast, but his coverage duties should be primarily limited to zone coverage at which he should be ok. He isnt going to give the Pats an inside pass rush (in my opinion). He should be average. 3-4 ILB isnt really a glamor position anyway so he may do alright. He isnt a long term solution to Bruschi but he should give Mayo some time to develop.

BTW if Hobson does have an outstanding season inside for the Pats what does that say about Mangini's ability to put guys in the right position? I dont think it will happen, but if it does it wont do anything to enhance Mangini's reputation.

Hobson was a good strongside backer when we played the 4-3 defense. In most cases, when teams switch to a 3-4, the strongside backer moves inside. For some reason, Hobson played outside linebacker in the 3-4 and always seemed too slow. I always wanted us to give him a chance inside because he is a tough player, but it never happened. I think he has a chance to be OK with the Pats.

Archived