Simms feels like a "hostage" in Tampa Bay - PFT.com

If Simms is cut, I'd love for the Jets to bring him in.

I totally agree. I like this guy. He played well in the games I've seen and the playoff game i watched but got destroyed behind that o line. Not sure how his arm strength is but IMO he can be a franchise qb. Doubt we'll sign him though. Baker for simms..

I think at this point let's wait awhile to see if he gets cut . It surely sounds like he's NOT in their plans at all and it's just a matter of time before he gets cut. His dad played here so he's got an inkling of what life is like playing in NYC. From the reports we've all been reading it sounds like the QB position is still pretty much up for grabs. ::GoJets:

he's played 19 games in his career that started in 2003 and we're ready to trade away a mediocre TE for him? Maybe we should give Clemens a little more time to prove himself.

He only averaged 185 yards passing per game in his best season...

I'd say pass on him. we have enough mediocre QB's that can hand off to a RB.

he's played 19 games in his career that started in 2003 and we're ready to trade away a mediocre TE for him? Maybe we should give Clemens a little more time to prove himself.

He only averaged 185 yards passing per game in his best season...

I'd say pass on him. we have enough mediocre QB's that can hand off to a RB.

I agree with this also, I really don't see whats so special about him. I say pass also.

Please! A professional football player in 2008 is no "hostage" in any sense of the word. The guy has already made more than most people will make in their lives and he hasn't accomplished anything in his profession. Got to hell Chris ... you're Dad was overrated! :rolleyes:

The Truth Hurts :)

Whatever man. Are you gonna become a Dolphins fan if Pennington starts again this year (which there is a 50% chance of)? Are you going to automatically write off the season? I know I won't.

it would certainly allow us to cut ties with Penny. At least then we'd have a known quantity if KC doesn't pan out.

You can spout all you want about how Pennington sucks but what the hell has Simms done and what has he proven? He had one year with 10 TD's. You want to throw a guy away who knows the playbook inside and out and has won in NY already for a guy with 12 career TD's and hasn't played since 2006 when he was in 3 games? Not to mention the fact that you have to teach him the system and hope he can learn it. They just fixed up their OL and added depth in the backfield and you want to take a step back? Regardless of how you feel about Chad he is the better option than Simms for this team and this year. If Clemens wins it out Chad would be much better insurance and for advice than Simms. After this year I can see bringing someone in as a back-up if Clemens proves he is the guy but not right now.

Ainge is a better option than chad right now. Anyone is better than chad. At the very best you can hope from chad is mediocrity and not ****ing up enough to win some games. So, that is what you're happy with? one decent year one ****ty year? Lets go 8-8! yay! and lets not give someone else a chance to do better because chad can manage a game and get us to maybe 8-8 if all the planets align and last year him sucking dick was a fluke. Oh and he also had to beat the odds and not get injured again.

You can spout all you want about how Pennington sucks but what the hell has Simms done and what has he proven? He had one year with 10 TD's. You want to throw a guy away who knows the playbook inside and out and has won in NY already for a guy with 12 career TD's and hasn't played since 2006 when he was in 3 games? Not to mention the fact that you have to teach him the system and hope he can learn it. They just fixed up their OL and added depth in the backfield and you want to take a step back? Regardless of how you feel about Chad he is the better option than Simms for this team and this year. If Clemens wins it out Chad would be much better insurance and for advice than Simms. After this year I can see bringing someone in as a back-up if Clemens proves he is the guy but not right now.

nah, lets just keep Pennington around until he tells us he's ready to retire. Afterall, it's great having a QB that cannot throw the ball.

nah, lets just keep Pennington around until he tells us he's ready to retire. Afterall, it's great having a QB that cannot throw the ball.

You're sarcasm is lovely but it does nothing to solve anything ... AND Chad CAN throw the ball. Is he a rocket launcher? No. But he can compete at the NFL level and he can win when given protection and some semblance of a running game. The Jets haven't had much of either since Curtis was hobbled early in 2005. I'm not saying that he should start because of that but the fact remains that no QB has had much success with the Jets Offense in the last few years.

Listen, if you're really ready to hand the team to Clemens he is still going to need a QB on the roster to help him along. Regardless of his potential, Clemens still has a lot to learn as an NFL QB. Simms is not the guy to help guide him. Whether you like the way Chad plays the game or not ability-wise, there is no disputing that he has the head for the game. Chad knows the way this Offense is written up (and has played in multiple systems for that matter) and can be invaluable in Kellen's development. Since they have him on the roster already and do not have cap trouble, it does not make sense to just get rid of him at this point. IF Clemens can play a full season AND do it well it would then make sense to bring in another vet and get rid of Chad's contract.

Whatever man. Are you gonna become a Dolphins fan if Pennington starts again this year (which there is a 50% chance of)? Are you going to automatically write off the season? I know I won't.
I won't write it off ,But I'm smart enough to know that we won't be headed to the playoffs if that's what you mean.

And as far as me becoming a Dolfag Fan, I'd rather ride into the Sunset w/Garb on her horse and become a Gaytriot fan before that would happen,And that my friend is real torture!!

I won't write it off ,But I'm smart enough to know that we won't be headed to the playoffs if that's what you mean.

And as far as me becoming a Dolfag Fan, I'd rather ride into the Sunset w/Garb on her horse and become a Gaytriot fan before that would happen,And that my friend is real torture!!

I don't see where you get that the Jets cannot make the playoffs with Chad at QB and they can with Kellen. Chad has actually been to the playoffs and the team has won a couple of those games. They have had a crap team the last couple of years - a horrible Offense (no matter who was at QB) and a terribly inconsistent Defense. With those problems fixed I think it's crazy to write off the playoffs IF Chad starts. I can see where you wouldn't want him to start, especially after last year (which I personally will not blame on either QB but it was awful). All I'm saying is that Chad might start so I hope you will at least give this year a chance IF he does. If Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, and Jeff Hostettler (among other scrubs) can win it all at QB, anyone can. All that said, I'd like to see Kellen win the job and lead the Jets for the next 10 years. Hopefully he has what it takes to do that.

You're sarcasm is lovely but it does nothing to solve anything ... AND Chad CAN throw the ball. Is he a rocket launcher? No. But he can compete at the NFL level and he can win when given protection and some semblance of a running game. The Jets haven't had much of either since Curtis was hobbled early in 2005. I'm not saying that he should start because of that but the fact remains that no QB has had much success with the Jets Offense in the last few years.

Listen, if you're really ready to hand the team to Clemens he is still going to need a QB on the roster to help him along. Regardless of his potential, Clemens still has a lot to learn as an NFL QB. Simms is not the guy to help guide him. Whether you like the way Chad plays the game or not ability-wise, there is no disputing that he has the head for the game. Chad knows the way this Offense is written up (and has played in multiple systems for that matter) and can be invaluable in Kellen's development. Since they have him on the roster already and do not have cap trouble, it does not make sense to just get rid of him at this point. IF Clemens can play a full season AND do it well it would then make sense to bring in another vet and get rid of Chad's contract.

how many come from behind wins does he have in his career (post surgeries) and how many points has he scored (not the defense or special teams, just the offense,i know that dosen't seem fair to a chadophile, but bare with me) during the playoffs in his career (post surgeries).

I even like chad as a person but i'm sorry to say he sucks as a quaterback...post surgeries. BTW, i can barely read your posts with out vomitting, so qudos for making me feel sick.

:shake:

I wouldn't mind us bringing him in for the sake of competition but to be honest, I think he sucks.

I disagree. Simms just isn't a good fit in Gruden's west coast system. He's better suited to a vertical passing attack. He has great bloodlines and he's already taken a team to the playoffs.

I'd love to see the Jets and Bucs do a Chad for Simms deal. Chad is a much better fit for Gruden's offense and I think Simms would do nicely in Schotty's offense with Coles, Cotch, Keller and Baker to throw to.

Obviously you're smarter than me cause I think we WILL make the playoffs this year. :P

Ainge is a better option than chad right now. Anyone is better than chad. At the very best you can hope from chad is mediocrity and not ****ing up enough to win some games. So, that is what you're happy with? one decent year one ****ty year? Lets go 8-8! yay! and lets not give someone else a chance to do better because chad can manage a game and get us to maybe 8-8 if all the planets align and last year him sucking dick was a fluke. Oh and he also had to beat the odds and not get injured again.

:rl:

So true. Its funny, yet said, to see the Chad lovers to continue to back their hero. We arn't Chad haters, we just actually, you know, want to win a championship, but a divisional round playoff berth.

If the Jets were to work out a deal with Tampa for Simms, it would be great. We would at the least be able to cut ties with Pennington because we would have a veteran in house to back-up Clemens or to potentially beat him out in Training Camp. Simms was never given his fair chance in Tampa Bay and is also better in an offense that throws the ball down the field more than once or twice a game. John Gruden is from the West Coast philosophy, a philosophy Pennington likes but the Jets no longer use (thankfully).

it would certainly allow us to cut ties with Penny. At least then we'd have a known quantity if KC doesn't pan out.

Bringing in Simms would be a mistake, he may be a known quantity, but we know is not that good. At the end of the day, we will probably live or die with Clemens, not because he is that great, but the Jets owe it to themselves to find out whether this kid is our franchise QB or do we need to look to thr draft. Simms is not a franchise QB thus he is not the solution to what is a glaring problem for the Jets.

When the season starts, either Chad or Kellen will be the starting QB and BOTH will be on the roster. We can either complain about that and continue to argue about it or we can stand by the decision MANGINI makes and know that he knows who should be starting a hell of a lot more than any of us do. Chad isn't going anywhere this year. I know that hurts a lot of people but we are all going to have to deal with that. I'm happy he's here now that they have a solid OL (hopefully dominant but one step at a time) and possibly a monster D (fingers crossed). That said, it would be better if Clemens can win the job and play great this year.

I just wanted to add that I love how people call me a Chad Lover for being logical about the situation we have here. From what I saw last year, Clemens can possibly be Brooks Bollinger with Browning Nagle's arm. He can be something great too, as we all know how bad the line was and it was his first chance to start. He showed some short flashes.

The point is that you always want a vet on the team that knows the system. Chad is a very smart QB and he has played in a bunch of different systems since he has been here. He's a good guy to have around whether he starts or not.

Regardless of how you all feel, Chad was the QB when the Jets won 10 games in '06 with a crap running game and an inconsistent D. It was far from a perfect team and they won 10 with Chad at QB. I didn't just say Chad won 10 games. I said the Jets won with him starting and no one can deny that. Last year, both QB's looked like garbage and so did the rest of the team. I'm not convinced any QB could have won more than what they won with that OL and porous D.

If Clemens wins the job and fails miserably or gets hurt, I KNOW (regardless of what anyone has to say about Chad) that the JETS can win a good amount of games with Chad at QB. They have done it when the team has actually been good enough to win. Even great QB's don't win without at least an above average supporting cast.

I'm done. We can argue but these are the two guys that we have capable of starting this year. One of them will start and the other will be ready to step in. Fingers crossed that it goes well!

Archived