Callahan a major asset

BP

by Dave Hutchinson

Saturday June 07, 2008, 4:35 PM

New assistant head coach/offense, Bill Callahan, whose main responsibility is the offensive line, is coaching to rave reviews and is a big upgrade from former offensive line coach Tony Wise.

Callahan, formerly head coach of the Oakland Raiders and the University of Nebraska, has brought an in-depth knowledge of offenses and a keen eye for detail with regards to technique along the offensive line.

Also, Callahan is excellent at explaining to his offensive line why he wants things done a certain way.

Conversely, Wise was more accustomed to working with veteran offensive lines in Dallas and Miami and he wasn't very detailed oriented. With youngsters Nick Mangold and D' Brickashaw Ferguson on the Jets offensive line, the unit needed direction. That's why the lost of veteran Pete Kendal was so crticial last season.

The Jets reached out to Callahan, who was fired by Nebraska at the end of last season, at the suggestion of GM Mike Tannenbaum and were delighted when the veteran coach expressed an interest in the job.

The organization has poured $65.5 million, including $32 million guaranteed, into its offensive line in the person of two new additions -- LG Alan Faneca and RT Damien Woody. They join veteran RG Brandon Moore, Mangold and Ferguson.

``What I like about Bill is he's incredibly flexible,'' said coach Eric Mangini. ``He's got the West Coast (offense) experience, he's got the coordinator experience, he's got the head coach experience.

``He's called plays and he's able to five the guys a real insight into the why -- why we're running this blocking scheme, why the hot (read) is where it is, what we have to do on each play and how it fits into the quarterback's depth.

``He can give a lot more detail because he has a great understanding of the big picture.''

In addition to working with the offensive line, Callahan is expected to be a huge help to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Meanwhile, the Jets concluded their three-day minicamp today with a tour of their state-of-the-art Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J and a Family Day event at nearby Delbarton High in Morris, N.J. The team will move to the new facility at the end of training camp, a year ahead of schedule.

The club has no scheduled practices or workouts until players report to training camp around the third week of July.

link

This is great news for probably the worst part about the 07 Jets.

Meanwhile, the Jets concluded their three-day minicamp today with a tour of their state-of-the-art Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J and a Family Day event at nearby Delbarton High in Morris, N.J. The team will move to the new facility at the end of training camp, a year ahead of schedule.

:bwahaharoll::rl:

Poor jetsrule128, no more bushes for you.

Wait until they replace Sutton. they might want their money back.

Wise was awful.

I saw the same thing happen to Wise down here with the Dolphins BP...at the end of his tenure EVERYBODY in town knew the guy sucked-from talk radio to the guy on the street

I saw the same thing happen to Wise down here with the Dolphins BP...at the end of his tenure EVERYBODY in town knew the guy sucked-from talk radio to the guy on the street

This is true.

I was stunned when the Jets hired him. Guy sucked

This is great news for probably the worst part about the 07 Jets.

:bwahaharoll::rl:

Poor jetsrule128, no more bushes for you.

I posted this in another thread last week and I don;t know if it was ever answered. So that is definite? After camp this year they are moving? Meaning they will be practicing in NJ this year? Or does that mean that they start in NJ with the OTA's next year?

I posted this in another thread last week and I don;t know if it was ever answered. So that is definite? After camp this year they are moving? Meaning they will be practicing in NJ this year? Or does that mean that they start in NJ with the OTA's next year?

That's what it sounds like to me. it's a much quicker commute on gameday.

Wait now I am really confused. It is a quicker commute for you? You made the team? OMG this is great.

:)

I was thinking for some odd reason that they meet at the facility and hop on a bus. I guess they don't do that.

But it is a quicker commute for us next year. it might be ****the official BP training camp report****

Callahan is a obsessive compulsive micro-manager who is unable to take any responsibility for his shortcomings. We're talking about a guy who had the balls to actually say "I'm doing an excellent job in all areas" during a press conference last October when Nebraska was getting their asses handed to them every week. He's not an asset, he's a nincompoop.

Callahan is a obsessive compulsive micro-manager who is unable to take any responsibility for his shortcomings. We're talking about a guy who had the balls to actually say "I'm doing an excellent job in all areas" during a press conference last October when Nebraska was getting their asses handed to them every week. He's not an asset, he's a nincompoop.

He sucks as a Head coach. but if he's not at the wheel and somebody has a leash around his neck pulling him in the right direction he could be helpful. he's a major upgrade over Wise, that is for sure.

He sucks as a Head coach. but if he's not at the wheel and somebody has a leash around his neck pulling him in the right direction he could be helpful. he's a major upgrade over Wise, that is for sure.

That may be true, but I wonder how long his enormous ego will allow that to go on. He's also a divider that's likely to create a distraction in the locker room. I wouldn't want him in any position on any team I rooted for. Granted, I'm biased and I can't help but cringe every time I hear his name. I have no respect for him whatsoever.

That may be true, but I wonder how long his enormous ego will allow that to go on. He's also a divider that's likely to create a distraction in the locker room. I wouldn't want him in any position on any team I rooted for. Granted, I'm biased and I can't help but cringe every time I hear his name. I have no respect for him whatsoever.

That's exactly how I feel about Herman Edwards. :)

You forgot to mention that he shutout all of the Nebraska alumni when he was HC. There was a great article in Sports Illustrated about the new Nebraska Coach a few months back and Callahan's name was mentioned often (not in a good way).

But how do you REALLY feel? :P

ray rhodes was a terrible head coach but a great coordinator. He tanked with the packers but thrived with the eagles and now again with the seahawks.

I expect callahan to like having less responsibility and get back to what he knows....or he could do like you said. stay positive, you're a jets fan and you have lasted this long. :cool:

ray rhodes was a terrible head coach but a great coordinator. He tanked with the packers but thrived with the eagles and now again with the seahawks.

I expect callahan to like having less responsibility and get back to what he knows....or he could do like you said. stay positive, you're a jets fan and you have lasted this long. :cool:

which is why I was happy when Belichick said no thanks to being our HC...I saw him as another one of those guys (like say Pete Carrol, Dave wannstedt) who were good second fiddles but not cut out for #1. For years whenever this subject came up I always said "just shows you how little I figgin know" but now after seeing he had to cheat to win the rings I don't think I was so wrong after all.

this Callahan signing was essential for several reasons:

-to put real running plays in the play book - no more of this motioning FB please.

-to coach up Brick, Mangold and sort out the young depth guys (Bender, Garner, Montgomery, Turner, McMacklin).

-to evaluate 2 expensive free agents before they signed.

-to have a veteran coach in the conference room - and possibly replace Mangini or Schott in a worst case scenario

The fact he was a failure at the head coaching level doesn't mean he's not an excellent pick up for this squad. If this team starts winning games they will talk about Faneca and the rest of the players but make no mistake Callahan over Wise is a huge upgrade for the coaching staff.

Fantastic bio:

Bill Callahan (born July 31, 1956, in Chicago, Illinois) is the Assistant Head Coach/Offense for the New York Jets. He was formerly the head coach of the Oakland Raiders for the 2002-2003 seasons and for the University of Nebraska for the 2004-2007 seasons, during which Callahan allowed the storied Husker football program to gravitate to mediocrity. He was fired from both positions after posting a losing record in his final season with the teams.

Um, Bit, no offense, but until proven otherwise (and that could be) his past failures are a reflection of his abilities.

Fantastic bio:

Bill Callahan (born July 31, 1956, in Chicago, Illinois) is the Assistant Head Coach/Offense for the New York Jets. He was formerly the head coach of the Oakland Raiders for the 2002-2003 seasons and for the University of Nebraska for the 2004-2007 seasons, during which Callahan allowed the storied Husker football program to gravitate to mediocrity. He was fired from both positions after posting a losing record in his final season with the teams.

Um, Bit, no offense, but until proven otherwise (and that could be) his past failures are a reflection of his abilities.

It's obvious he was a bad to terrible head coach but he was (a long time ago granted) a great offensive line coach. The only risk that i see is that he turns into the micromanger that bugeater is worried about.

It's a risk but some guys really thrive when they get back to what they were great at in the first place.

It's obvious he was a bad to terrible head coach but he was (a long time ago granted) a great offensive line coach. The only risk that i see is that he turns into the micromanger that bugeater is worried about.

It's a risk but some guys really thrive when they get back to what they were great at in the first place.

The Jets have made a major upgrade on the o-line, no doubt. I don't think the poor performances in the past was a reflection of coaching, rather a reflection of talent, you know? If I were a Jets fan, my concern would be how long it will take for this new line to gel.

The Jets have made a major upgrade on the o-line, no doubt. I don't think the poor performances in the past was a reflection of coaching, rather a reflection of talent, you know? If I were a Jets fan, my concern would be how long it will take for this new line to gel.

That is why most of us like the Callahan signing. It definately takes time to gel and that is something a good coach can help expedite. It's unfortunate that our starting couple of games have to be against a terrible team then against two solid teams. It may give them a false sense of security that they will be able to blow everyone off the ball and throw 200 rush yards on the Pats or Chargers.

I do think the jets can and will hit 200 yards on the ground in week one, run blocking won't take the time pass protection does.

If I were a Pats fan my concern would be Satan coming to claim Tom Brady's immortal soul, as per their 2000 deal.

wow, people said the same thing about kurt warner and look what happened to him....oh wait.......maybe brady is screwed.

by the way Callahan did a pretty good job with the Raiders, got a SB appearance. gruden owned him but it was gruden's playbook so what are ya gonna do?

that was an excellent team with Lincoln Kennedy, Frank Middleton and real bruisers up front pounding it for Garner and Wheatley... Jerry Rice, Rich Gannon etc.

Callahan ran into a buzzsaw in that SB but he did get em there.

Archived