Baker placed on PUP

flgreen

I agree that Baker is a good player and is probably under-utilized in our offense, but he should know that complaining and parking in the team presidents parking spot is not the way to get a raise or whatever he wants.

The one player that should have been complaining (and with justice) would have been Kerry and he didn't complain, he waited and the Jets rewarded him, because he was GROSSLY underpaid.

Different contract situation though. Kerry was still on his rookie contract.

Walking out of OTA's (or whatever it was), 5 days before the Jets entered their draft-day war room, was pretty friggin' stupid.

I agree sperm & I also know the jets can't just go & give every player what they ask for.

I'm just sayin I wish I was reading stuff like jets & baker tryin to come up with an amicable solution rather than jets sayin, sorry but we bumped yer pay in nov. & yes we threw $$$ at bubba franks which was a slap in the face to you but tough luck cris.

the pup thing tells me its over. I'm sad about how this all went down thats all. I don't like to read about brass 1 upping a player with knife throwing.

while Baker will be the loser, so will the team

He's a MUCH better player than kendall.

Bull****. Based on what? 30 catches in a season? My ****ing hero. He's barely adequate as a blocker and a non-entity as a receiver. He doesn't drop the ball. That is his one shining achievement.

TEs are a dime a dozen. You can plug almost any JAG in and get similar production. Baker is not Gates, Gonzalez or even Shockey.

Bull****. Based on what? 30 catches in a season? My ****ing hero. He's barely adequate as a blocker and a non-entity as a receiver. He doesn't drop the ball. That is his one shining achievement.

TEs are a dime a dozen. You can plug almost any JAG in and get similar production. Baker is not Gates, Gonzalez or even Shockey.

Baker was one of the top 10 most efficient TE's in the NFL for years.

Baker is a better blocker than both franks & keller. Baker caught the ball inbounds vs cleveland in the endzone.He has good hands & a fine target for any q'back. He's more than servicable for blocking & recieving.

He did dig his own hole & I ain't sayin he doesn't deserve being treated badly at this stage, i'm sayin losing him hurts this team. period.

Baker is right. The jets are treating him like crap. he's worth more than 600k.

And he makes more than $600K; almost 3x that, actually. I fail to see how this is the FO treating him like crap because they were nice enough to pay him the bulk of his 2008 money in advance. They should have been worse to him by giving him nothing up front. He didn't seem to mind it too much when he ran the risk of career-ending injury in the final month.

My guess is that Tannenbaum chose his words carefully when it happened. They'll give him the advance on his 2008 bonus/salary, and they'll look at his contract again in the spring. Well, they looked at it or re-addressed it & decided they don't want to pay him any more. Baker, naturally, would interpret - or claim to interpret - a "we'll re-address it" (or whatever was said) as "we will give you another pay raise."

And he's nowhere the blocker that he has gotten this sudden reputation for being. Every time a TE has medocre or worse receiving numbers, people assume that means he's a good blocker. Truth is, even his receiving is a little suspect. Just because he has good hands doesn't mean he routinely gets open & poor Chris Baker doesn't get the ball thrown his way.

He's fine. Nothing more. And he's paid like someone who's fine but nothing more.

And he makes more than $600K; almost 3x that, actually. I fail to see how this is the FO treating him like crap because they were nice enough to pay him the bulk of his 2008 money in advance. They should have been worse to him by giving him nothing up front. He didn't seem to mind it too much when he ran the risk of career-ending injury in the final month.

My guess is that Tannenbaum chose his words carefully when it happened. They'll give him the advance on his 2008 bonus/salary, and they'll look at his contract again in the spring. Well, they looked at it or re-addressed it & decided they don't want to pay him any more. Baker, naturally, would interpret - or claim to interpret - a "we'll re-address it" (or whatever was said) as "we will give you another pay raise."

And he's nowhere the blocker that he has gotten this sudden reputation for being. Every time a TE has medocre or worse receiving numbers, people assume that means he's a good blocker. Truth is, even his receiving is a little suspect. Just because he has good hands doesn't mean he routinely gets open & poor Chris Baker doesn't get the ball thrown his way.

He's fine. Nothing more. And he's paid like someone who's fine but nothing more.

I've watched him pretty closely since the start of the 04 season. I stand by my thought that he was underused. he is a good tight end. I think he could be a great tight end.

I was hoping he'd have a break out year this year not a break up year

The Jets online would've been garbage last year EVEN WITH Kendall.

Yes, but they would never have matched their four win total if Baker went down! Give me a ****ing break.

Baker is a better blocker than both franks & keller. Baker caught the ball inbounds vs cleveland in the endzone.He has good hands & a fine target for any q'back. He's more than servicable for blocking & recieving.

He did dig his own hole & I ain't sayin he doesn't deserve being treated badly at this stage, i'm sayin losing him hurts this team. period.

I don't think he is a better blocker than Franks. He is probably better than Keller, but he was considered a lazy blocker coming out of college too. I agree that he is serviceable. I don't think he is a bad player, but you don't set a terrible precedent to keep "serviceable" players.

TE efficiency? What the **** is that? What's his WHIP? The guy has no seperation speed and is lucky if he puts 30 ypg up by the end of the day. Let's give him a big new contract!

He is efficient because he is in an "efficient" offense. I don't want efficiency, I want points and wins. Baker may not be the problem with the Jets, but he certainly isn't the solution.

Yes, but they would never have matched their four win total if Baker went down! Give me a ****ing break.

I don't think he is a better blocker than Franks. He is probably better than Keller, but he was considered a lazy blocker coming out of college too. I agree that he is serviceable. I don't think he is a bad player, but you don't set a terrible precedent to keep "serviceable" players.

TE efficiency? What the **** is that? What's his WHIP? The guy has no seperation speed and is lucky if he puts 30 ypg up by the end of the day. Let's give him a big new contract!

He is efficient because he is in an "efficient" offense. I don't want efficiency, I want points and wins. Baker may not be the problem with the Jets, but he certainly isn't the solution.

I think baker suffered as jones,leon,cotch & coles suffered last year. with a better guards & right tackle & q'back play, all of the above would have much improved #'s.

bakers gone, yer happy & i'm not. lets leave it at that

TE's need to have have the ball thrown to them. The Jets NEVER used him enough.

Okay, assuming that it is the fault of the coaches and front office, why keep him around if they can't find a way to utilize him? Sometimes a change is best for everybody. Vilma was a much better player than Baker, he just didn't fit in here. Other teams weren't so hot to jump on him when he tested the market, so I don't think FOs around the league are salivating over the opportunity to finally utilize Baker's talents. Remember, this isn't the first coaching staff that he's played under. The first one thought so highly of Baker they trade a high pick for Doug Jolley when Baker was entering his prime.

Do you think maybe his "efficiency" might have dropped if he had the ball thrown to him more often?

IMO Baker will not get cut or traded and will play out the season with the Jets. He's flapped his gums before and nothing has come of it. This is nothing new. He is a solid, adequate player. If he doesn't play all season we probably won't even notice.

Okay, assuming that it is the fault of the coaches and front office, why keep him around if they can't find a way to utilize him? Sometimes a change is best for everybody. Vilma was a much better player than Baker, he just didn't fit in here. Other teams weren't so hot to jump on him when he tested the market, so I don't think FOs around the league are salivating over the opportunity to finally utilize Baker's talents. Remember, this isn't the first coaching staff that he's played under. The first one thought so highly of Baker they trade a high pick for Doug Jolley when Baker was entering his prime.

Do you think maybe his "efficiency" might have dropped if he had the ball thrown to him more often?

IMO Baker will not get cut or traded and will play out the season with the Jets. He's flapped his gums before and nothing has come of it. This is nothing new. He is a solid, adequate player. If he doesn't play all season we probably won't even notice.

He's still their best all around TE and best red zone threat. He should play and get the ball more.

I think baker suffered as jones,leon,cotch & coles suffered last year. with a better guards & right tackle & q'back play, all of the above would have much improved #'s.

bakers gone, yer happy & i'm not. lets leave it at that

I don't think he's gone and I wouldn't be happy if he were. I'm a player first guy and I think Baker is a quality player. Thing is, this FO has chosen to take a stand against this kind of thing and I don't think Baker is a special enough player to warrant altering team policy. If they did I would lose all respect for them and that's coming from a guy who isn't entirely against players holding out.

I agree that Baker's production would probably improve if the rest of the offense didn't blow. IMO, Baker is a mid-level starting caliber TE.

Chris Baker is average at best. Saying that he's more valuable than Kendall is simply laughable. Kendall had a pro-bowl type year for the Skins last season, anyone who watched their games could see that. What made it even worse was that we had Adrian ****ing Clarke as our plan B. That's a ridiculous step down.

I'm not saying we have great cover for Baker in Keller and Franks but it sure as Hell aint Adrian Clarke. Baker has always been average, I really cannot see how anyone sees anything more in him.

I don't think he's gone and I wouldn't be happy if he were. I'm a player first guy and I think Baker is a quality player. Thing is, this FO has chosen to take a stand against this kind of thing and I don't think Baker is a special enough player to warrant altering team policy. If they did I would lose all respect for them and that's coming from a guy who isn't entirely against players holding out.

I agree that Baker's production would probably improve if the rest of the offense didn't blow. IMO, Baker is a mid-level starting caliber TE.

yeah, I got him rated a little higher than you.

i'm not dissagreeing with him or the front office.

I just don't like reading this crap. I was really lookin forward to seein him do well this year. My friend Bob Casullo coached the tight ends for the jets a couple years back (1 yr contract with herm) and spoke very highly of baker. saw lots of potential.

yeah, I got him rated a little higher than you.

i'm not dissagreeing with him or the front office.

I just don't like reading this crap. I was really lookin forward to seein him do well this year. My friend Bob Casullo coached the tight ends for the jets a couple years back (1 yr contract with herm) and spoke very highly of baker. saw lots of potential.

Yeah, it is pretty much the suckiest thing we could be reading about. Contract squabbles and injuries are not what we want to be seeing. Back to Pennington vs. Clemens vs. Favre!

What year was Casullo there? Baker was probably the one bright spot in '05, but then he broke his leg. I honestly don't think he's done as a Jet. The dispute has been nowhere near as acrimonious as the Kendall deal and I think the injury is legit. If he's not off the PUP list in a few weeks or his agent starts squawking about it that'll mean he's done.

Chris Baker is average at best. Saying that he's more valuable than Kendall is simply laughable. Kendall had a pro-bowl type year for the Skins last season, anyone who watched their games could see that. What made it even worse was that we had Adrian ****ing Clarke as our plan B. That's a ridiculous step down.

I'm not saying we have great cover for Baker in Keller and Franks but it sure as Hell aint Adrian Clarke. Baker has always been average, I really cannot see how anyone sees anything more in him.

I watched their games, and he definitely did not have a pro-bowl type year. Against the Jets he played great, but so did many others.

Yeah, it is pretty much the suckiest thing we could be reading about. Contract squabbles and injuries are not what we want to be seeing. Back to Pennington vs. Clemens vs. Favre!

What year was Casullo there? Baker was probably the one bright spot in '05, but then he broke his leg. I honestly don't think he's done as a Jet. The dispute has been nowhere near as acrimonious as the Kendall deal and I think the injury is legit. If he's not off the PUP list in a few weeks or his agent starts squawking about it that'll mean he's done.

It slips me right now. he coached st with oakland with gruden(babt sat Janakowski). gruden left 1st. Bob's contract with herm said if a st gig came up he could take it. Holmgren took him in seattle but I don't know if he went to seattle in 05 or 06.

Gruden snagged him from seattle so he'll be in tampa for the 08 season. I had dinner with him & his wife when I was in ny this may. He has some great stories I tell ya.

Archived