Baker placed on PUP

flgreen

Jets Place Baker, Trusnik on PUP; Oldenburg on Active/Non-Football Injury

Published: 07-21-08

pr-mic-small.jpg?1160069518

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

change font email article

<DIV class=article_column id=articleText style="DISPLAY: none" _extended="true">

The New York Jets announced that TE Chris Baker and LB Jason Trusnik have been placed on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list and T Clint Oldenburg has been placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list. The announcements were made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">

This could get ugly.

he's a flippin TE getting paid more than enough for his value. I imagine this is more of a joke in the locker room then a worry.

If it's not a joke, it should be. Baker is so average i can't even explain.

The PUP list is another word for doghouse.

Exactly, and it's exactly where big mouthed TEs with limited performance should be.

When Keller and Franks come to town, it's not the best time to run your mouth. You'll find yourself sitting 4th on the TE depth chart behind the long snapper. :snip:

Exactly, and it's exactly where big mouthed TEs with limited performance should be.

When Keller and Franks come to town, it's not the best time to run your mouth. You'll find yourself sitting 4th on the TE depth chart behind the long snapper. :snip:

the easiest way to end this hole fiasco is the offer baker his release if gives back his signing bonus and the advance he took last year.

This is a direct result of Baker riding the excercycle during mini camp, and saying he was injured.

Does anyone know the exact rules on PUP? Can they keep him out of camp?

Yes, many questions. Where are the experts; please tell us what this means? Can he say, "surprise, I'm not injured anymore." What then? Off the PUP and then what? So many questions, my fingers can't type fast enough! SPERM, WHERE ARE YOU?!?

This is a direct result of Baker riding the excercycle during mini camp, and saying he was injured.

Does anyone know the exact rules on PUP? Can they keep him out of camp?

Maybe he forgot the bike seat, and now has a serious anal fissure issue.

Found this

lombardi on the NFL

The Real World of Pro Football

Friday, July 18, 2008

WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE NEW WEEK

A couple things to expect to read and hear about when camps start next week:

The PUP list. This is a list is called the ACTIVE PUP List and is used by NFL clubs to let the player know he did not pass his training camp physical and he is not allowed to start practice. Now, being on this list does not help the team add more players to camp, so the more players on this list, the less teams will have on their practice field. This list solely protects the club from accepting the contract and being held to the contract of the player because he is reporting to camp unhealthy, regardless if the injury occurred last year on the field.

For example in NE, if you don't pass Bill Belichick's running test, you immediately go on this list and are under the trainers and his supervision BEFORE he will let you back on the field.

In late camp, teams have three options with players on the ACTIVE PUP list;

1. Pass him on his physical

2. Put him on RESERVE PUP reserve which knocks him out for six weeks into the season before he can start practicing with the team. During a three week period, he can practice and he can be activated to the roster.

3. Release him and have no further monetary obligation.

I expect teams to be very careful putting players on this list as it will reduce the numbers for camp. Players might make a day or two appearance on PUP list but clubs will need to activate them to have decent practices. The 80 man limit does affect many areas.

The other news item to be prepared to read about in the coming weeks are rookie contracts and where they stand. Don't worry too much about this, most of them will be done in time for camp and all the posturing the agents do through the local papers is for effect--- there is not any substance to their threats. The top ten picks in the draft may be a little more difficult for clubs to handle, but for the most part, this should be an easy signing time in the NFL.

http://www.lombardionfootball.com/2008/07/what-to-expect-in-new-week.html

It's probably not too big a deal. Maybe a little slap in the face, but no big deal. Guys on the PUP list before camp starts can be returned to active any time. Remember, they did it with JMac in '06 after he failed that test from his foot injury. He was back on the active list in under a week. They can attend meetings and rehab with the team (maybe find more reasons to fine him?), but can't practice.

If a guy is placed on the PUP after camp starts then he must sit out six games (no practice) and must be activated by week 10 or he's out for the year. Chatham was on this PUP list last year and activated around mid-season. After Vilma went down.

Yes, many questions. Where are the experts; please tell us what this means? Can he say, "surprise, I'm not injured anymore." What then? Off the PUP and then what? So many questions, my fingers can't type fast enough! SPERM, WHERE ARE YOU?!?

They can take him off the PUP list whenever they want (before the rosters get reduced) because they put him on it before training camp started rather than after it started.

Physically Unable to Perform (PUP)

A player who fails his club

So they can take him off, but if he's still on there - certainly by the start of the regular season - then he has to stay on there until after the Jets' 6th game (after week 7).

Thanks, man. Surely they wont leave on him on there come opening day, but say they did...could they trade him while he is on the PUP list?

Thanks, man. Surely they wont leave on him on there come opening day, but say they did...could they trade him while he is on the PUP list?

I don't know if the Jets have to administer another physical to see if they're warranted in keeping him on the PUP list longer than they have to, or if they're just sticking it to him.

NY Jets place Chris Baker on PUP list

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger Monday July 21, 2008, 5:31 PM

Disgruntled tight end Chris Baker reported to Jets training camp over the weekend, but he won't take part in the team's first practice Thursday. The Jets placed Baker on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list Monday but didn't announce his injury. Baker tweaked his back after the first minicamp practice in June after boycotting the team's voluntary workouts in a contract dispute. Baker, who didn't have offseason surgery and didn't appear seriously injured at minicamp, is unhappy with his contract. He blasted the team on a daily basis during minicamp and was expected to do the same during training camp and become a huge distraction. A Jets spokesman denied that the move was punitive and said Baker will be available to the media Thursday. He won't be able to practice with the team but is eligible to come off the PUP list anytime before the final 53-man roster is set next month. Baker's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, declined to comment.

The Jets fined Baker $3,000 for missing a rehab assignment during minicamp. He defiantly parked his Bentley in the parking spot marked "Team President" and refused to move it.

Veteran free-agent signee Bubba Franks, rookie Dustin Keller and third-year pro Jason Pociask will try to fill the void created by Baker's unavailability. If Baker, a five-year starter, starts the regular season on the PUP list, he must sit out the first six weeks.

The Jets also placed linebacker Jason Trusnik on the PUP list with an undisclosed injury. Right tackle Clint Oldenburg was placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list.

I agree but these 2 clowns feinsod and what's his name played Tannenbaum last year with kendall, and the Jets will not deal with it....I ask anyone here, maybe I am wrong but name a few players from a team that said they were "promised" reworked contracts and the team reneged? it seems it is these 2 clowns with the rosenhaus wannabees agents doing it?

I know there are some on this board that believe Baker is an above average TE and would be sorely missed.

I am not one of those people.

Just like I supported our FO in the Kendall situation, the Coles situation...I now am fully behind our FO is this situation.

The guy signed a contract and is acting like an immature jerk.

Not exactly the type of character I want on the field or in the huddle.

Good riddence...go away.

Get me players that operate with class.

He's lost any respect I had for him.

Sit 'em.

great he's on pup.

you guys think this is good news? I don't.

i'm a baker fan, I'm a tangini fan but above it all i'm a jets fan. I would have much preferred a better outcome than hearing that the front office decided to play tit for tat.

baker did dig his own grave but no one affiliated with the jets won with this outcome

great he's on pup.

you guys think this is good news? I don't.

i'm a baker fan, I'm a tangini fan but above it all i'm a jets fan. I would have much preferred a better outcome than hearing that the front office decided to play tit for tat.

baker did dig his own grave but no one affiliated with the jets won with this outcome

Walking out of OTA's (or whatever it was), 5 days before the Jets entered their draft-day war room, was pretty friggin' stupid.

I like Baker too, but he has no room to be running his mouth and making demands like he's Antonio Gates or someone.

He's a decent player who is a good run blocker and average receiver. Playing games like you're a 5 time Pro-Bowler and walking out of OTAs was a brain dead move.

I like Baker too, but he has no room to be running his mouth and making demands like he's Antonio Gates or someone.

He's a decent player who is a good run blocker and average receiver. Playing games like you're a 5 time Pro-Bowler and walking out of OTAs was a brain dead move.

Baker is right. The jets are treating him like crap. he's worth more than 600k.

Baker is right. The jets are treating him like crap. he's worth more than 600k.

I almost positive Baker re-negotiated his contact with the Jets and than asked the Jets for an advance of $$ and they gave it to him, thus showing a salary of $600k this season.

I almost positive Baker re-negotiated his contact with the Jets and than asked the Jets for an advance of $$ and they gave it to him, thus showing a salary of $600k this season.

He thinks he was promised a new deal though and he probably was. Baker is a GOOD PLAYER who has been misused here. They should be making him a bigger part of the offense not screwing around with him to piss him off.

He thinks he was promised a new deal though and he probably was. Baker is a GOOD PLAYER who has been misused here. They should be making him a bigger part of the offense not screwing around with him to piss him off.

I agree that Baker is a good player and is probably under-utilized in our offense, but he should know that complaining and parking in the team presidents parking spot is not the way to get a raise or whatever he wants.

The one player that should have been complaining (and with justice) would have been Kerry and he didn't complain, he waited and the Jets rewarded him, because he was GROSSLY underpaid.

Archived