Jets set to hit fans with personal seat licenses

BP

New York Jets set to hit fans with personal seat licenses

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Saturday August 02, 2008, 10:57 PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Jets owner Woody Johnson said he understands the fans' pain but said he has no choice. Johnson said yesterday that the Jets will also charge their fans personal seat licenses (PSLs) in the state-of-the-art stadium his team will share with the Giants.

During a luncheon with beat reporters before the Green-White game at Hofstra University's James M. Shuart Stadium, Johnson said the team had decided to follow the Giants, who last month announced a fee structure for PSLs for their season-ticket holders.

The exact prices of the Jets' seats -- a one-time charge some view as an investment -- has yet to be determined, Johnson said, but he left the impression that PSLs would apply to each of the 82,500 seats in the new stadium, scheduled to open for the 2010 season.

In June, the Jets sent surveys to season-ticket holders, asking how likely fans would be to pay fees ranging from $500 in the top level to $150,000 for 50-yard-line seats. Johnson said the organization hopes to have a plan in place by the end of this month.

"We sent out virtually thousands of surveys. We're collecting that information back. We will have seat licenses," Johnson said. "We understand the feeling of the fans. I think what we're going to do is listen to the fans' response from the questionnaires we sent out and we're going to try to incorporate as many of those ideas into the way we package this PSL program to make it as fan-friendly as we can, recognizing the nature of our fans and how long they've been fans and where they sit.

"I think you'll see the way the financing arrangements are, the way the seats are allocated and priority. Those kinds of issues will be dealt with."

The Giants' fees range from $1,000 to $20,000 per seat.

Albert Garlatti, Jr., 46, called the Jets' announcement a "slap in the face" for loyal fans. The Hillsborough resident, who has held the same two season tickets since 1983, said he would be willing to pay up to $5,000 per PSL. If prices are higher than that, he said he would surrender his seats and purchase regular tickets instead.

"We've been supporting them for years, but they probably just don't care," said Garlatti, adding he had been looking forward to watching the Jets play at the new stadium. "If I couldn't afford it, I would go a lot less."

The license holder also must buy a season ticket each year. Now, season-ticket holders can only transfer tickets to family members. Johnson said the organization plans to send out information explaining to fans exactly what a PSL is because he believes some don't fully understand the concept. He said the Jets' research shows many fans have had a "good experience" with PSLs.

The Jets will be the 16th NFL team to require licenses, according to the league.

Johnson said he realizes the PSLs are costly and many middle class families -- and long-time Jets' season-ticket holders -- simply can't afford them.

"We don't want to alienate anybody," he said. "I feel pretty good about coming out with something that is reflective of those values and those interests. ... (But) we're not going to be able to make everyone happy and that's something I'm disappointed about."

The Jets' PSL prices will likely be in line with the Giants. Some critics say the Jets should charge less because they're not coming off a Super Bowl victory.

"The cost of building the stadium is the same for both of us," Johnson said. "The fact the Giants won the Super Bowl and we were 4-12 is just one of those things that happens in football.¤... We're committed to building a championship team. We don't hold back on anything."

This offseason, the Jets spent over $140 million in free agency and are moving into a new training facility in Florham Park in September.

The cost of building stadiums -- along with cities' increasing reluctance to commit tax dollars to sports projects -- has made such fees necessary at new venues, according to sports finance experts. The $1.6 billion stadium being built next to the current Giants Stadium is expected to open in mid-2010. These fees would help fund the construction.

The Giants and Jets are sharing the costs of what is expected to be the most expensive stadium built. The state is paying an estimated $300 million for infrastructure improvements at the Meadowlands, as well as other costs related to the new venue.

The Giants' seat licenses are expected to bring in $300 million to $400 million, team co-owner John Mara said in June. If the Jets were to match that with their take from the PSLs, the cost of the stadium construction would have been cut in half.

Link

F U WOODY! you are disappointed about nothing you rat ba$tard. Keep padding your pockets off of your team and shut the hell up.

Let's see.. Everyone begged for a new stadium. He didn't get any money from the taxpayers for the actual stadium (which is a good thing). The stadium is going to cost him more than 800M.. and he's not supposed to try to recoup the money?

That just makes me scratch my head.

if only posts were saved here or the other sites from 4-5 years ago...

We have posts from here when 3 years ago when they were trying to get the WSS.

I have to be honest, there were a few people that wanted the WSS or any stadium in NY. But I really don't remember the masses begging for a new stadium at any cost. Most people seemed to be indifferent.

Either way though the posts are here.

We have posts from here when 3 years ago when they were trying to get the WSS.

I have to be honest, there were a few people that wanted the WSS or any stadium in NY. But I really don't remember the masses begging for a new stadium at any cost. Most people seemed to be indifferent.

Either way though the posts are here.

All you heard was how we rent from the Giants and we need a stadium we own...

Now we got one and we still hear the whining. If we build the WSS, the PSLs would be triple.

Now we got one and we still hear the whining. If we build the WSS, the PSLs would be triple.

Probably not, there would have probably more public funding. Mayor Mike would have taken care of things, he wanted that stadium there. There would have been incentives.

Probably not, there would have probably more public funding. Mayor Mike would have taken care of things, he wanted that stadium there. There would have been incentives.

Sure, but instead of an 800M debt, it would have been closer to 2.5B. Doubt the state/city covered 1.7B.

Sure, but instead of an 800M debt, it would have been closer to 2.5B. Doubt the state/city covered 1.7B.

It was going to be more than just a football stadium, it was going to be an expansive thing that had a football stadium. It was supposed to be some huge ass convention center and a place to hold the olympic games, parks and affordable housing. Woody wouldn't have been on tap for all of that. PSL's would have been less there, if anything. There would have been tax incentives and breaks and all that niceness from the mayor.

It was going to be more than just a football stadium, it was going to be an expansive thing that had a football stadium. It was supposed to be some huge ass convention center and a place to hold the olympic games, parks and affordable housing. Woody wouldn't have been on tap for all of that. PSL's would have been less there, if anything. There would have been tax incentives and breaks and all that niceness from the mayor.

this new stadium is STILL gonna be called Giants Stadium and we all know it....Woody failed us (again)

this new stadium is STILL gonna be called Giants Stadium and we all know it....Woody failed us (again)

I just don't understand what the problem was with the west side stadium, It would have cost some money, but would have stimulated the economy in the long term. The olympics and other events it would have allowed us to host would have more than paid for it.

I think the majority of the outcry from the Jets fans was that they wanted a stadium of their own..not another shared stadium that will be called Giants stadium by most fans. I am going to see a Jets game at Giants stadium...and that has not changed

Jets fans asking for their own stadium is different from what is happening. It can be spun ANYWAY people want. But this new field will be called Giants Stadium by many regardless of the sponsor.

Jets fans asking for their own stadium is different from what is happening. It can be spun ANYWAY people want. But this new field will be called Giants Stadium by many regardless of the sponsor.

Maybe in the NY/NJ area but not the rest of the Country. I have always called it the Meadowlands and just about everyone I know says the same thing.

I doubt many will be calling the new stadium Giants Stadium anymore, it is equally owned by both franchises.

You could thank Jimmy Dolan for shutting down the WSS project, he was a major factor in fighting against it being built.

If he was smart he would be doing the same with the whole Nets in Brooklyn thing, but we all know he's not the brightest bulb on the tree.

I doubt many will be calling the new stadium Giants Stadium anymore, it is equally owned by both franchises.

You could thank Jimmy Dolan for shutting down the WSS project, he was a major factor in fighting against it being built.

you can blame Dolan for alot of things

All true, but I can promise you he would have been on tap for more than 800M

Let's see.. Everyone begged for a new stadium. He didn't get any money from the taxpayers for the actual stadium (which is a good thing). The stadium is going to cost him more than 800M.. and he's not supposed to try to recoup the money?

That just makes me scratch my head.

Woody & the mara`s/tisch`s will get 30 million a year for the naming right of the new stadium X the 30 year life of the stadium is $900,000,000 (900 million dollars just for that ) they will also get between 5-8 million a year rent for each gate entrance X 30 year life of the stadium is a minimum of 20,000,000 (20 million a year X 30 years is another $600,000,000 (600 million +the 900 million puts them at 1.5 billion already ) now the 4 scoreboards that will each get names lets say they only charge 2.5 each year for them thats another 10 million a year X 30 years is another 300 million that puts us at 1.8 billion ,then there is the 300 million from the NFL 150 million to each team, oh yea I forgot he has to make a profit. let see there is all the tv revenue for starters the luxorey boxes that start at 250,000 & go up to 1 million each & there are going to be over 200 of those that is about 50 million a year minimum ,club seats there are going to be over 2000 of these ,the highest any PSL should be is $5,000 & these things should be set up interest free.....

joisey a ton of information in there...I think you would make your point clearer if you bullet pointed your facts...just my two cents

Sorry Tyson ,I just keep getting fustrated at all the people crying poor for Woody ,when in fact the money is just pooring in for this project....

Mike how many teams in the NFL share stadiums with another team in one of the biggest markets in the world?

This isn't baseball. The market is minimal factor. If you're talking about the fact that this stadium shouldn't cost 1.3 billion or whatever you're probably right.

I am talking about 2 NFL teams sharing a stadium...double the revenue..as for the costs of the stadium imagine if it actually had a roof

Their point that building in this area is more expensive is valid. Add that to a 1.4 billion dollar building and that adds up.

Archived