2 scenerios for The Classy Jets........

lancemehl

I am a Jets fans not a "player" fan Right off the bat,so please read it all before the hatred rains, BUT

I don't care what anyone says, that treatment of Chad Pennington was the most low-class thing I've ever seen from an organization, and the scenerio involving Chad to Miami and whipping our a$$ is not even one of the two because it's too sickening to ponder.

Here's the 2:

1. Favre, who doesn't know if he wants to play football or not, doesn't want to be a jet(unlike Chad who wanted nothing but), who comes from a system where he called the shots, had his own office and was God, who will be looked at sideways by the likes of Coles and the gang who MUST LOVE the treatment of their a$$ busting QB, comes to NY and is beat up by the media to the point of retiring mid-season( Hooray Clemens fans!)

or

2. Favre, one of the greats, comes in with a chip on his shoulder, humble, hard working, likable, respected and respecting. Throws darts to all his weapons. Gets C and C to new levels. Makes Dustin Keller his new Chumura(minus the hottub),Favre does like the TE's.

Basically, he comes here with the whole world watching and has some "Greatness" left in the tank.

Now, that would be wonderful.

I pray for #2 and Chad in the NFC( for a QB that sucks there are an awful lot of bidders), good luck #10, you gave your heart to this team!

Go Jets!!! No matter what, and they still will have a top 5 defense!! At least.

Just wondering, what would you want the Jets to do with Chad? Sit him on the bench and swallow up his contract to watch him be third or fourth on the depth chart? Chad wants to start, we are granting him his wish. I don't see how that can be considered bad. His time's up in NY and he would not have been content on the sidelines anyways.

So the only way for the Jets to preserve "class" in your eyes is to stick with Chad Pennington even if they are clearly not confident in his abilities & durability?

I'd say that they handled it with as much class as they could. Tannenbaum made a point of speaking to Chad (and Clemens) about the situation so they didn't have to find out about it from a newspaper.

D-Rob gave his heart & soul to the team also, through bad knees, through being forced into playing the one DL position he is most ill-suited for. Jets picked up Kris Jenkins & dumped Robertson, and not one peep was uttered about the Jets' lack of "class" through the situation.

You only see it this way because of, despite your opening claim to the contrary, you clearly are a fan of the player.

I am a Jets fans not a "player" fan Right off the bat,so please read it all before the hatred rains, BUT

I don't care what anyone says, that treatment of Chad Pennington was the most low-class thing I've ever seen from an organization, and the scenerio involving Chad to Miami and whipping our a$$ is not even one of the two because it's too sickening to ponder.

Here's the 2:

1. Favre, who doesn't know if he wants to play football or not, doesn't want to be a jet(unlike Chad who wanted nothing but), who comes from a system where he called the shots, had his own office and was God, who will be looked at sideways by the likes of Coles and the gang who MUST LOVE the treatment of their a$$ busting QB, comes to NY and is beat up by the media to the point of retiring mid-season( Hooray Clemens fans!)

or

2. Favre, one of the greats, comes in with a chip on his shoulder, humble, hard working, likable, respected and respecting. Throws darts to all his weapons. Gets C and C to new levels. Makes Dustin Keller his new Chumura(minus the hottub),Favre does like the TE's.

Basically, he comes here with the whole world watching and has some "Greatness" left in the tank.

I pray for #2 and Chad in the NFC( for a QB that sucks there are an awful lot of bidders), good luck #10, you gave your heart to this team!

I disagree with your assesment that our treatment of Pennington was classless. Once we traded for Favre, and we can debate if that was a good move or not all we want, the simple facts are that:

1 - we needed to clear up cap space for Favre.. (Penny was scheduled to be paid about $8 Mill this year to be a backup, and we already have Clemens)

2 - Chad does not WANT to be a backup...He is 32 years old, nearing the end of his career. He quite understandably wants to go out on his own two feet as a starter...Not as a backup. It would've been more classless, IMO, to keep him on the roster for another week or so, thus completely ruining any shot he has to be a starting QB somewhere in this league.

IMO, releasing Chad right away was the CLASSIEST thing the Jets could've done given the situation they were in...

It's always the same. Whenever someone says they are not something, they follow it up by showing that they are that something.

Whenever anyone says: "I'm not racist but" you know the next thing out of their mouth is going to be something racist. Always. Never fails. Everytime Smizzy tells me "I'm not gay but" I know he will try to do something gay, usually to Max. And now, apparently you're "not a fan of the player" but you are making an issue that isn't there. It was the classy thing to release him. Most of the time teams will hold onto the player and try to trade him, and then it becomes really late and the guy won't be able to become a starter anywhere. What's the team supposed to do, pay a guy a big contract and keep him no matter what?

If Chad really cares about the franchise, he'll be back probably after his playing career is over (which will probably be another year or two, once he goes and sucks on another team and they get sick of him). The truth is this franchise has always pandered to Chad and it's why we had so many problems for so long. We gave him way too much money to begin with, and then we kept starting him after season ending injury after season ending injury. We were so desperate for our own true franchise QB that we gave him every chance and more. Instead, we should have drafted somebody high years ago to replace him.

Here's an impartial (neither a Pennington "fan" or "hater") assessment on this very topic that someone emailed me this morning from footballguys, comparing the Jets/Pennington situation to Packers/Favre:

What a great contrast for how a front office handles things up front and decisively. They delivered bad news to Pennington but were direct and upfront about it. And then gave him a release where he would be free to sign with any team he wanted without tying a bunch of strings and conditions to it. The situation changed to one where he wasn't wanted as the starting QB any longer, management made a firm and quick decision, Pennington was informed, and he was allowed freedom to sign where he wanted and do what he felt was best for him. That's how a class business operates.

I mean you couldn't make up a more direct contradiction from an avid football fan who doesn't give a rat's ass about Chad Pennington or the New York Jets.

I don't totally agree with that sperm. The difference is, the Packers fear playing brett, the jets do not fear playing Chad.

Sending Favre to the Vikings puts them in the tops in the NFL, sending Chad to the Vikes puts them exactly where they were the day before the aquisition. IMO, the packers had no choice but to hold favre long enough to keep him out of the division.

A awful lot of bidders? Who?

Miami has contacted his agent.

Kansas City views him as nothing but a back-up.

NYGiants have view him as nothing but a back-up.

Chicago has not inquired.

Minnesota has not inquired and has said they're not interested.

Green Bay or New England could look at him as nothing but a back-up as well.

A "awful lot of bidders" to you must be ONE in Miami. One freaking bidder to START in the NFL.

All of his "bidders" are for 2nd string jobs except one. Miami. The second worst team in the NFL (behind Atlanta). Oh joy for Chad.

I don't totally agree with that sperm. The difference is, the Packers fear playing brett, the jets do not fear playing Chad.

Sending Favre to the Vikings puts them in the tops in the NFL, sending Chad to the Vikes puts them exactly where they were the day before the aquisition. IMO, the packers had no choice but to hold favre long enough to keep him out of the division.

I really don't want to see Pennington play for the Dolphins, and I think there is a good chance he will go there.

The Jets could have played with trading him for a 7th or so. They didn't play around they just released him. I'm sorry to see Chad go, but thought he was dealt with fairly.

It's a cold business

The Jets didn't force Chad to go anywhere, other than off the Jets roster at his current $6M salary.

I'm sure if the opportunity presented itself to do all this in March, the Jets would have done just that. You cannot pick & choose when a Brett Favre becomes available to you. When the opportunity was there, the Jets acted in the manner they felt would best improve the team's superbowl chances for 2008.

So I could not hold the Jets to the Packers' scenario since they were not in that scenario. But the only thing that was constant was they had a player under contract who they did not want on the team anymore. The Packers did not grant Favre his release; the Jets did grant Pennington his release.

The Jets could have easily let Pennington twist in the wind by releasing Barrett & holding out for the highest bidder, and leaving Pennington in limbo.

There are 32 teams Chad Pennington is free to sign with today, to whichever team wants him. It is not contingent upon division, conference, or compensation to the New York Jets.

I would not classify the Jets' handling of Pennington as being bad or classless in any way. The only thing that was unfortunate for Pennington is the timing of Brett Favre's availability. The Jets hardly had any control over that.

I really don't want to see Pennington play for the Dolphins, and I think there is a good chance he will go there.

The Jets could have played with trading him for a 7th or so. They didn't play around they just released him. I'm sorry to see Chad go, but thought he was dealt with fairly.

It's a cold business

Not so cold where he doesn't get to collect hundereds of thousands of dollars in any given month. I have no pitty for any pro athlete that plays as long as Chad did.

As much as I love Chad what happend to him is nothing new in the NFL.

The NFL is a cold hard buisness where loyalty only goes as far as your talent goes.

That is why teams like New England and Philly and Pittsburgh are always at the top or near the top year after year. They have no problem getting rid of a guy if

A) His talent set diminishes

B) Can get more money elsewhere.

They use the draft and look at guys who in 2-3 years can replace a guy who might be good now but may command too much money on the market or they are starting to see the skills diminish.

As far as Favre is concerned: I hope he does well here. I hope he doesn't throw ridiculous INT's that cost the Jets a playoff game like he did in Green Bay on numerous occasions. Most importantly I hope his heart is commited to this. Right now I'm not sure it is. I think alot of us want to believe that his heart will be in this but I'm going to need to see it on field first before I am completely sold.

The first 4-5 games this season are going to be very intersting especially with the Jets playing SD and NE back to back. If the defense steps up (and that is a HUGE if considering how the Defense has started off seasons in the past 7 years) while the offense gets used to Favre and Favre gets used to them, then this has a chance of working. If it doesn't then we probably have a 6-10 season on our hands and Favre probably retires for good after the season.

I agree that on the surface the Jets handled the Chad situation in a classy way.

Even Woody supposedly sent a jet to bring him back to NY.

Yes he had to be released to make cap room for Brett's 12mill but whose to say

if they could have handled Brett's figure within their cap space that they wouldn't

have held onto Chad for a few days and called around to see if any one would have

traded for him.

Yeah, the Jets certainly do owe Chad more than this. Perhaps paying him the number 1 QB's salary after 02 wasn't enough, maybe they should just rename the stadium after him?

You're right Matt - maybe we should just re-name the team to the Inhonorofchad's or the Pennington's. They probably aren't going to do it because the names are too long to make efficient logo's. But beating 4 teams that finished the season with better than a .500 record in his CAREER certainly warrants it.

The Jets didn't force Chad to go anywhere, other than off the Jets roster at his current $6M salary.

I'm sure if the opportunity presented itself to do all this in March, the Jets would have done just that. You cannot pick & choose when a Brett Favre becomes available to you. When the opportunity was there, the Jets acted in the manner they felt would best improve the team's superbowl chances for 2008.

So I could not hold the Jets to the Packers' scenario since they were not in that scenario. But the only thing that was constant was they had a player under contract who they did not want on the team anymore. The Packers did not grant Favre his release; the Jets did grant Pennington his release.

The Jets could have easily let Pennington twist in the wind by releasing Barrett & holding out for the highest bidder, and leaving Pennington in limbo.

There are 32 teams Chad Pennington is free to sign with today, to whichever team wants him. It is not contingent upon division, conference, or compensation to the New York Jets.

I would not classify the Jets' handling of Pennington as being bad or classless in any way. The only thing that was unfortunate for Pennington is the timing of Brett Favre's availability. The Jets hardly had any control over that.

I am not under the impression that the Jets did anything wrong with Penny. Same can be said with the Packers' treatment of Favre. Both teams were given information at very inopportune times and acted how, IMO, they should have acted.

Calling out the Packers for being classless is as ridiculous as calling out the Jets as being classes. Both organizations did exactly what they had to do.

BTW, this is as a classy move as they come in the NFL. The Jets could've held onto him until someone came around with a 6th or 7th round pick but they didn't, they cut their loses and let him move on to wherever he wants to go. When you have an opportunity to improve you take it and you make the necessary moves you have to make to improve the team at all costs. If that means hurting Chad Pennington's and his fans' feelings, so be it. We are a better team today. Do not be a Pennington fan, be a Jet fan.

You're right Matt - maybe we should just re-name the team to the Inhonorofchad's or the Pennington's. They probably aren't going to do it because the names are too long to make efficient logo's. But beating 4 teams that finished the season with better than a .500 record in his CAREER certainly warrants it.

wow...that puts a lot of things in perspective.

I am not under the impression that the Jets did anything wrong with Penny. Same can be said with the Packers' treatment of Favre. Both teams were given information at very inopportune times and acted how, IMO, they should have acted.

Calling out the Packers for being classless is as ridiculous as calling out the Jets as being classes. Both organizations did exactly what they had to do.

When did I call out the Packers for being classless? Or even offer up any opinion of mine on how they handled it?

All I did was quote someone who believed the Jets acted classy. His opinions on the Packers are only relevant because the author doesn't just throw that word around to everyone.

It was in response to the thread starter who felt the Jets method of handling Pennington was "the most low-class thing I've ever seen from an organization."

Here's the 2:

or

Chad SUX. I`m glad he might go to the fish so we can kick his a** twice a year

Chad Pennington is a HUGE upgrade over Tavares Jackson and its not even close..Chad behind that O line and impressive running game would put the Vikes in the drivers seat in the Central.ther ain't a whole lot of throwing going on in Chi or GB in Dec.Vikes need a good game manager and dispite his lack of arm strength Chad is one of the best at making the right check down or anything else involving game management..Chad vs Tavares is a no brainer

Chad Pennington is a HUGE upgrade over Tavares Jackson and its not even close..Chad behind that O line and impressive running game would put the Vikes in the drivers seat in the Central.ther ain't a whole lot of throwing going on in Chi or GB in Dec.Vikes need a good game manager and dispite his lack of arm strength Chad is one of the best at making the right check down or anything else involving game management..Chad vs Tavares is a no brainer

Who is chad going to throw to? It's not like he makes his wide outs look better than they are, evident of them never going to the probowl on the Jets but going on other teams.

They have "no hands" Berrian and...?

Can you verify this? Show me the stats where you got this info? That would be pretty damning IMO.

It's not true. By my count it's 10 wins (21 losses). But it's not those teams that left us hopeless when it came to advancing to a championship game or superbowl. It's the 4-19 record against teams with 10 wins, since those are the ones you have to beat to get there. Getting past a 9-7 Dolphins team is one thing; getting past a 14-plus win Patriots/Steelers/Colts is another.

He's gone now & I wish him well except against the Jets.

Here's the breakdown I came up with. If I made any errors here please correct me:

2002 wins

9-7 Dolphins

9-7 Broncos

9-7 Patriots

12-4 Packers

2002 losses

9-7 Browns

11-5 Raiders

10-6 Colts

11-5 Raiders (playoffs)

2002 total: 4-4

2003 wins

12-4 Titans

2003 losses

14-2 Patriots

10-6 Dolphins

12-4 Colts

2003 total: 1-3

2004 wins

12-4 Chargers

9-7 Bills

12-4 Chargers (playoffs)

9-7 Seahawks

2004 losses

9-7 Bills

14-2 Patriots

15-1 Steelers

14-2 Patriots

15-1 Steelers

2004 total: 3-6

2005 wins

9-7 Dolphins

2005 losses

10-6 Chiefs

12-4 Jaguars

2005 total: 1-2

2006 wins

(none)

2006 losses

12-4 Patriots

12-4 Colts

13-3 Bears

2006 total: 0-3

2007 wins

(none)

2007 losses

16-0 Patriots

10-6 Giants

16-0 Patriots (QB for all but 1 series)

10-6 Titans

2007 total: 0-4

2002-2007 totals vs teams over .500: 10-21

vs 9-7 teams: 6-2

vs 10-6 teams: 0-5

vs 11-5 teams: 0-2

vs 12-4 teams: 4-4

vs 13-3 teams: 0-1

vs 14-2 teams: 0-3

vs 15-1 teams: 0-2

vs 16-0 teams: 0-2

so...in other words SE, that's 6.4 million bux for every win to a good team

If you consider 9-7 to be good, then yes. If you consider 9-7 to be little more than a lucky FG better than 8-8, then it's $16M per.

But while that was the biggie number on his contract, he didn't make $64M. So while it makes for a damning post, it's not really accurate. But then the blockbuster contract also doesn't take into account his rookie deal, during which we paid him about $10M from 2000-2003.

Here's the breakdown I came up with. If I made any errors here please correct me:

2002 wins

9-7 Dolphins

9-7 Broncos

9-7 Patriots

12-4 Packers

2002 losses

9-7 Browns

11-5 Raiders

10-6 Colts

11-5 Raiders (playoffs)

2002 total: 4-4

2003 wins

12-4 Titans

2003 losses

14-2 Patriots

10-6 Dolphins

12-4 Colts

2003 total: 1-3

2004 wins

12-4 Chargers

9-7 Bills

12-4 Chargers (playoffs)

9-7 Seahawks

2004 losses

9-7 Bills

14-2 Patriots

15-1 Steelers

14-2 Patriots

15-1 Steelers

2004 total: 3-6

2005 wins

9-7 Dolphins

2005 losses

10-6 Chiefs

12-4 Jaguars

2005 total: 1-2

2006 wins

(none)

2006 losses

12-4 Patriots

12-4 Colts

13-3 Bears

2006 total: 0-3

2007 wins

(none)

2007 losses

16-0 Patriots

10-6 Giants

16-0 Patriots (QB for all but 1 series)

10-6 Titans

2007 total: 0-4

2002-2007 totals vs teams over .500: 10-21

vs 9-7 teams: 6-2

vs 10-6 teams: 0-5

vs 11-5 teams: 0-2

vs 12-4 teams: 4-4

vs 13-3 teams: 0-1

vs 14-2 teams: 0-3

vs 15-1 teams: 0-2

vs 16-0 teams: 0-2

I came up with 11 based on what the teams were at the times the Jets played them.

2002: San Diego 6-2

Miami 5-3

New England 8-6

Green Bay 12-3

Indy (playoffs)

Tenn 9-2

SD 1-0

Sea 7-6

SD Playoffs

2005 Miami 1-0

2006 New England 6-2

I'd have to figure out the losses but I think we all get the same drift here.

If you consider 9-7 to be good, then yes. If you consider 9-7 to be little more than a lucky FG better than 8-8, then it's $16M per.

But while that was the biggie number on his contract, he didn't make $64M. So while it makes for a damning post, it's not really accurate. But then the blockbuster contract also doesn't take into account his rookie deal, during which we paid him somewhere between $10-15M from 2000-2003.

IOW he did really good for being a mediocre QB here...I wish him all the best as he was always one of my favorites but I was done with him...in the words of Michael Corleone "it's business Tom, it ain't personal"

I came up with 11 based on what the teams were at the times the Jets played them.

2002: San Diego 6-2

Miami 5-3

New England 8-6

Green Bay 12-3

Indy (playoffs)

Tenn 9-2

SD 1-0

Sea 7-6

SD Playoffs

2005 Miami 1-0

2006 New England 6-2

I'd have to figure out the losses but I think we all get the same drift here.

I like that method better, but even so I accidentally short-changed him on the Indy playoff win.

It's not true. By my count it's 10 wins (21 losses). But it's not those teams that left us hopeless when it came to advancing to a championship game or superbowl. It's the 4-19 record against teams with 10 wins, since those are the ones you have to beat to get there. Getting past a 9-7 Dolphins team is one thing; getting past a 14-plus win Patriots/Steelers/Colts is another.

He's gone now & I wish him well except against the Jets.

You're right Sperm and I'm off base in my comment. What I meant to say and have said in the past is that Pennington has a total of 4 wins against teams with records better than 1 game over .500 (9-7 is one win better than .500) - or 10 win teams.

My mistake and I hate to pass out bad info.

The numbers are still ridiculous - but they were never going to be better with Chad throwing.

A awful lot of bidders? Who?

Miami has contacted his agent.

Kansas City views him as nothing but a back-up.

NYGiants have view him as nothing but a back-up.

Chicago has not inquired.

Minnesota has not inquired and has said they're not interested.

Green Bay or New England could look at him as nothing but a back-up as well.

A "awful lot of bidders" to you must be ONE in Miami. One freaking bidder to START in the NFL.

All of his "bidders" are for 2nd string jobs except one. Miami. The second worst team in the NFL (behind Atlanta). Oh joy for Chad.

doesnt this sum it up...if you want a friend ..buy a dog

Archived