Rally against the PSLs

FITM

Steve Kern has organized a rally for both New York Jets and Giants fans that are against the implementation of Personal Seat Licenses due to funding for the construction of their new stadium.

The rally will be held on Saturday, August 23rd, the night of the Giants and Jets preseason game. The rally will begin at 4:00 p.m. EDT and run until the last speaker has been heard. The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority has allowed the rally against PSLs to be run in the East Grandstand Apron Parking Lot, between the racetrack and the new stadium.

Many fans want to voice their opinions on the PSLs and they are limiting each speaker to a maximum of five minutes each. If you are interested in speaking at the rally, please contact Steve at PSLSpeackers@verizon.net and he will add your name to the speakers list. They intend to videotape each speech and put them together on a DVD with the intention of sending it to the owners of each team.

If you are in favor of finding an alternative or would like more information, be sure to check out the official website for the Rally at PSLRally.com.

http://www.pslrally.com/Why? – This Rally is being held to give the loyal fans of both the Jets and Giants a forum to discuss the PSL Policy that is being implemented by both teams to help them pay for the construction of their new stadium.

Would You Like To Speak at the Rally? – We would like to have as many fans speak as possible limiting each speaker to a maximum of 5 minutes. This is your chance to be heard. Please email me at PSLSpeakers@verizon.net to add your name to the Speakers List. We plan on videotaping each speech. We will be putting together a DVD that will be sent to the Owners of each team.

Alternatives – We know that the fans of the Giants and Jets are some of the most intelligent and creative people in the world. We welcome your thoughts on suggestions for Alternatives to the Personal Seat License Policy. This could be anything from Ways to Change the Policy to Ways to Make the Policy More Acceptable and everything in between. Please email me all your suggestions to PSLAlternatives@verizon.net. We will be putting together a compilation of all reasonable Alternatives and sending this to the Owners of each team.

The following are some of the Alternatives that we have come up with so far:

Personal Seat Licenses on Only the Best Seats – The Cowboys are charging up to $150,000 per PSL for the best seats in their new stadium. If the PSL costs for the new Giants / Jets Stadium were increased to $100,000 on the Coaches Club seats, leaving the Field One Section PSL at $20,000, and increasing the PSL cost on the 7,085 Mezzanine Club A & B seats to $20,000, the amount of revenue generated from the PSL sales would be $391,420,000. This is more than the amount of revenue the current plan would generate. This would mean that PSLs would apply to only 11,247 of the 78,448 seats or 14%. There would be no need for any other PSLs. Please note that the cost of the Coaches Club seats are $700 per ticket per game and the cost for Mezzanine Club A & B seats are $500 & $400 per ticket per game, which is beyond the financial reach of most average fans.

Five Year Ticket and Parking Price Freeze – We would propose that both teams commit to the Season Ticket Holders that the prices for Game Tickets and Stadium Parking will not be raised for the first 5 Years that the New Stadium is operational. This would give the Season Ticket Holders price certainty for this period of time.

Right to Advance Purchase Tickets to Other Stadium Events – We would propose that all PSL Holders be offered the opportunity to purchase tickets for all other events that are to be held at the New Stadium one day prior to the general public.

Make the Purchase of Preseason Tickets and Preseason Parking Passes Optional – Currently, season ticket holders of both teams are required to purchase tickets and parking passes to both preseason games as part of their season ticket package. Before 1997, the Jets made the purchase of these tickets optional, as it was not a requirement. Change the policy back to the optional plan. The tickets and parking passes to the preseason games would then be made available to be purchased by other fans at face value.

Personal Seat License Fees to be Tax Deductible – The Giants have stated that half of the PSL Fees will be paid as Taxes. We would be asking that both teams speak to Governor Corzine of New Jersey about making the initial Personal Seat License Fees deductible on our State Income Tax Return. The State has not had to pay any money for the stadium and they stand to makes millions in taxes once the stadium is opened. This plan may be agreeable to the lawmakers in Trenton. Income taxes would apply on the future sale of the PSL as this sale would be considered as income for the current PSL holder.

Allow Food and Drinks to be Brought Into the New Stadium – Currently fans are not allowed to bring in Coolers, Thermoses, Back Packs or Large Bags for Food. This policy was put in place for security reasons after the 9/11 Tragedy. With the security personnel checking every bag that comes into the Stadium, these risks have been minimized. Allow small coolers that can be opened and inspected. Allow plastic thermoses. Allow clear plastic bags that can carry food. This will allow fans to avoid the high cost of these items at the concession stands.

Feed Back – If you are unable to attend the PSL Rally and you would like to be heard, feel free to email us with your Feed Back to PSLFeedBack@verizon.net. You can also send us video feedback to the same email location. These videos will be added to the DVD of rally speakers. We will be putting together a compilation of all Feed Back that will be sent to the Owners of each team.

Questions? – Please feel free to forward all questions to Steve Kern at pslrally@verizon.net.

Media Links Mentioning the PSL Rally:

Oh god, what a group of misguided fans. Let's take on some of these issues... and no, I'm not FOR PSLs, but you guys need to make sensible arguments if you're going to win. These arguments are so shortsided it's not funny.

1) "PSLs only on the best seats.".... let's rephrase the argument... "I hate PSLs, but if they aren't on my seat, then I do not give a damn." You're either for them or against them boys... you can't be selectively against them.

2) "5 yr ticket/parking price freeze.".... How about if your boss comes up to you and says your salary and vacation time is on a 5 yr freeze?

3) "Right to Advance Purchase Tickets to Other Stadium Events" - This one makes sense actually.. you should get this

4) "Make the Purchase of Preseason Tickets and Preseason Parking Passes Optional" - The Jets would then not play ANY preseason games. You schedule your pre-season games yourselves, and the visitors take a % of the gate. The Jets were the last team in the NFL to require the purchase for preseason games. They did so because teams stopped wanting to play them in the preseason because their % of the gate was quite small. Charging for preseason games is something that happens all over the nfl, and unfortunately, it's not going to stop. Get used to that, because without it, the Jets won't have a preseason schedule.

5) "Personal Seat License Fees to be Tax Deductible" - You have to be kidding. Is it a donation to a 529 charity? I didn't think so. I'm happy that taxpayer money was not used for the stadium. If you reduce the ability to tax this fee, then it will become a taxpayer funded stadium in part when income/property tax goes up.

6) "Allow Food and Drinks to be Brought Into the New Stadium" - You answered yourself why this is not going to happen.

I do hope for you season ticket holders that it has some effect on the Jets, but it won't. Some of the stuff in here is nuts. If you want to make a real appeal, you have to take the nutty part out or the whole will be ignored.

Tax deductible PSL's? You have to be kidding me. The taxes that the teams are paying are for real estate property taxes. Unless the teams give PSL holders equity in the team, you cannot write it off as a tax deduction. Officially, you are buying a tangible asset more akin to buying gold or oil or a CD or a government bond. That asset may appreciate, it may depreciate, or it may remain constant. The one thing the same about all of these assets is you are not forced into buying any of them. This one comes with the right (or more accurately, a mandate) to buy full season tickets. But other than that, it's merely something you own that is not taxed (other than regular sales tax), so you cannot deduct it from your income.

They will never again allow the general public to bring in closed containers with food/drink. It's mostly for concession money (same as a movie theater), but security in these times is not something to make light of. Besides, if it's something like a sandwich, it's pretty easy to conceal. But coolers with beers or sodas in them, that will mean a 75% reduction in concession sales? Lol. Pretend you live on planet earth.

Fans bitched & bitched about not having their own "home" for the Jets. They bitched & bitched after Sheldon Silver & the dicks he sucked at MSG thwarted the WSS. Did any of these bitching people honestly believe that their costs would remain the same and the owner would just fork over about a billion dollars out of the goodness of his Jets fan heart? Forget about the unlucky $20,000 PSL people who can't afford them (or even if they can, come to the conclusion that they hav better things to spend their money on). Regular people are screaming bloody murder over $1000 and $5000 and think after buying the team for $600M that Woody is just going to eat another $900M (including the WSS lobbying money spent) and tell Jets ticket holders: "It's all good. I got this one."

And now the proposal is to forgo roughly half of the stadium seats costing $1000 that most can well-afford, people who were screwed to the tune of $20,000 should be told that number should be increased to $100,000? Per seat? And a person who owns two tickets, who can realistically (even if grudgingly) afford or scrape up the $5,000 PSL per seat should be told that he must now pay $40,000 instead of $10,000 so that others won't have to pay $1,000 per? This guy's a real a-hole.

But best of all, I don't see anyone like this dumbass throwing a fit & lashing into the construction company that raised the amount from $800M to $1.6 billion over the past 2-plus years. Because the truth is THAT is the cause of most of the PSL charges.

Did anyone think that two teams, in a metropolitan area with more millionaires per square mile than any other NFL metro area, were going to decline to charge for PSL's when places like Charlotte & Phoenix & Pittsburgh are doing it?

The only ones I really feel for are people like Max & Lil Bit Special & 124 & others who sit in sections that will carry a $20,000 per seat PSL. It is just beyond the means of most people (or those who don't want to choose Jets PSL's over sending their kids to college, owning a second car, fixing their house, buying a house, etc.). The people who are getting hit with a one-time $1000 per seat charge aren't going to make my eyes watery.

I do not want to sound like a defeatist but it is to late for this stuff. The giant fans have to submit their first payment in Oct. We might have till Dec. It is done....The business end of this crap sucks.... I understand it, but I don't like it. Most of us have to reside our selfs to the fact that we will not have season tickets any more..I am actually at piece with it now. It took about 2 months of being pissed before I just realized I will not be spending all the $$$$$ I used to on the games, tailgate.. I will make a point starting next year of taking a week trip to one of the away cities and making a famly vacation out of it. It will actually be cheaper than keeping the home game tickets...

I do not want to sound like a defeatist but it is to late for this stuff. The giant fans have to submit their first payment in Oct. We might have till Dec. It is done....The business end of this crap sucks.... I understand it, but I don't like it. Most of us have to reside our selfs to the fact that we will not have season tickets any more..I am actually at piece with it now. It took about 2 months of being pissed before I just realized I will not be spending all the $$$$$ I used to on the games, tailgate.. I will make a point starting next year of taking a week trip to one of the away cities and making a famly vacation out of it. It will actually be cheaper than keeping the home game tickets...

What is the Giants first payment , How long are they giving them to pay these things off?

Mike Lupica said last week that rumor in some inside circle's the Jets PSL will be higher then Giants:Nuts:. Now the is why Woody Johnson pushed so hard with Brett Favre.

Well I guess they will wait till after this rally before sending out the JET PSL letter ,that way they can keep saying nothing is offical yet even though they know they are going to hiy fans with them ..PS. I was just written back by the guy putting this rally togther ,It appears I have been added to the list of guest speakers...

Well I guess they will wait till after this rally before sending out the JET PSL letter ,that way they can keep saying nothing is offical yet even though they know they are going to hiy fans with them ..PS. I was just written back by the guy putting this rally togther ,It appears I have been added to the list of guest speakers...

I unfortunately do not make it up for the preseason games but I will be very interested in how it goes. Good Luck

Question:

If you decide to not pay for the PSL's in the new stadium starting in 2010, can you still have your tickets for the 2009 season and then just lose them after that or what?

who knows at this point...

I was hoping some Giants fans could clue us in. My guess is we're going to get f##ked out of our tickets next year.

I was hoping some Giants fans could clue us in. My guess is we're going to get f##ked out of our tickets next year.

Awesome.

And now you can only transfer within family, correct?

I think you would get to keep them in 2009 (provided you pay you reg. season ticket price & parking fee) accordind to the Giants thier 1st payment on the new stadium seats are do this OCT. (20% of the total amount do),I would think if you don`t make that 1st payment they would start the process of reassigning your present seat.

Archived