Johnson might have to pay $500,000 to become Ocho Cinco

So what happens if a player is traded? You can't wear the new team uniform until you pay Reebok? Somehow I don't think this is a contractual issue at all. His name changed, it doesn't matter what it used to be. I sincerely doubt there is anything in the contract saying he can't change his name.

The NFL and Chad Ocho Cinco should just sue for a declaratory judgment and get it over with.

honestly, he should sue. i can't believe that is part of the contract. so, from now on are they going to do this same thing if someone changes there name for a religious reason.

Yeah or if they are traded. It just reeks of BS. Or if you're cut and get onto a new team. The jerseys were already produced in each of those situations, which was Reebok's rationale.

What's worse is that those ****suckers at Reebok are the ones that will be pulling in all that money from the ocho cinco jerseys.

First thing I thought of.

$500K? They weren't going to sell that many more C.Johnson jerseys. Those who wanted it have it. But now you could find countless thousands of C.Johnson jersey owners ALSO buying an Ocho Cinco one. Even people who aren't Bengals fans or fans of the player might buy an ocho cinco jersey because of the novelty of the name. Reebok is going to make a killing on that.

Amazing how this money is just absorbed by Reebok if 85 was actually traded to another team, and this cost of doing business isn't passed onto the team trading him, the agent, the player, or the NFL as a whole.

When a star player changes his name, changes his number, changes his team, or changes to a position that requires a different number, the mfr of the jerseys makes a killing in new sales. Many of them going to people who already bought that player's jersey before.

This is the most outrageous part of it:

Reebok says they have a certain number of C.JOHNSON jerseys to sell before they presumably would be agreeable to this name change. The thing is, they will ALWAYS have a large inventory of it because they will never allow them to be 100% sold out without making more. So they want to keep producing them even today even though this is no longer the player's name (or desired jersey number, or whatever). So until Ocho Cinco gets traded to another team, there will NEVER be a time when Reebok doesn't have a large current inventory of C.JOHNSON-85-Bengals jerseys.

The NFL should award about 20 companies the privilege of being "official" jersey manufacturers and then let's see how Reebok feels about it.

The ONLY way I could sympathize with them is if it came out that the individual player - not the NFL as a whole - agreed, for the course of his current contract, to not change his name.

This absolute BS and Ocho Cinco should hire a lawyer immediately. Like any other business on the planet, Reebok takes a business risk when it makes a product. There are no guarantees that every business decision will work out and make money for you. I can see where changing a number would be a problem as that is an arbitrary decision, however Ocho Cinco went to court to legally change his name (not saying it was a good decision). Reebok should put the Johnson jerseys on the clearance rack and start raking in the cash that is sure to roll in from the new jerseys.

All I have to say is I was pretty pissed off when John Abe switched to 56 from 94 his last year in NY....I wasn't about to buy another Abe Jersey and instead was stuck with a # no-one was wearing anymore..no-one bought it back from me, F OCHO CINCO

Archived