Pro Bowl on the move?

PFT.com

PRO BOWL ON THE MOVE?

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 24, 2008, 2:23 p.m.

The NFL wants to make the Pro Bowl relevant, and it has a surprising way of doing it: Move it to the week before the Super Bowl.

Peter King of SI.com reports that this will probably be the last season that the Pro Bowl is played the week after the Super Bowl.

Per King, the league likely will announce the moving of the game to the weekend before the Super Bowl, either on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday night, and make the Pro Bowl part of the week of hype leading up to the Super Bowl. The Pro Bowl will also most likely be played in the same stadium as the Super Bowl most years, instead of in Honolulu.

That means that the 2010 Pro Bowl will be played on either January 30, January 31 or February 1 at Dolphins Stadium. It also means that no players from the two teams in the Super Bowl will play in the Pro Bowl, which means less star power for the league

that's kind of retarded ... there's no real point of putting right b4 the Super Bowl because there is more risk of injury to players PLAYING in the Super Bowl. They should keep it where it is, so in case if someone gets hurt... they have a lot of time to recover.

that's kind of retarded ... there's no real point of putting right b4 the Super Bowl because there is more risk of injury to players PLAYING in the Super Bowl.

Perhaps you missed the part where he said that no players from the two Super Bowl teams would participate.

I mean, do you really think any player would risk missing a chance to play in the Super Bowl by playing in the worst All-Star game of any of the major sports?

After what happened years ago to Robert Edwards (the rookie from the Pats who blew out his whole knee in a rookie game)....I think that the fewer exhibitions the better. Having fewer players from the championship teams makes it LESS relevant no matter when they have it.

I have always wanted to see a team skills competition between the All-Stars. Each position group could have its' skill competition and then they could have a tug'o'war. (just kidding).

that's kind of retarded ... there's no real point of putting right b4 the Super Bowl because there is more risk of injury to players PLAYING in the Super Bowl. They should keep it where it is, so in case if someone gets hurt... they have a lot of time to recover.

I may be wrong but I'm assuming teams IN the SB will NOT have their players in the Pro Bowl. Imagine if Favre broke aqn ankle in the Pro Bowl and couldn't play in the SB? No way a team or coach allows that risk.

This was talked about before the end of last season. I think they said this would be the final year in Hawaii and they wanted to find a way to create more interest in it beings that it is the only all star game with zero interest. I think moving it before the SB when people are itching to just watch an NFL game would be a great move.

When I read the title I thought they meant moving it out of Hawaii...moving it before the SB is a joke...no one is going to want to risk injury in a meaningless game.

they would OBVIOUSLY not being playing. c'mon.

how many super bowl players play in the pro bowl game anyways? half the players elected don't show up anyways. i actually think this would increase player attendance as it would be held in the same city as the super bowl.

its a great idea.

they would OBVIOUSLY not being playing. c'mon.

how many super bowl players play in the pro bowl game anyways? half the players elected don't show up anyways. i actually think this would increase player attendance as it would be held in the same city as the super bowl.

its a great idea.

+1

There will definitely be more public interest for the game. Good move for the NFL.

I have an idea to make it better. The conference that wins it gets the benefit of winning the coin toss, that is, there is no coin toss.

So the "pro bowlers" not on the super bowl teams would basically decide what the super bowl teams can do.

And since the outcome is just replacing a coin toss, it doesn't actually change anything, you could still consider it luck.

The fun part is, you might want to throw the game just because you hate the team that made the Super Bowl so much.

THAT would make things really interesting, even though in reality it's not a big deal at all. The psychology though of knowing for an entire week whether you will kick or recieve is huge (I assume nobody will defer, but the decision should be made at kickoff anyway to preserve the question).

Archived