THE NFL SHAVES POINTS THREAD

Borgoguy

Once again, NFL officials in our game took a score off the board in order to "get the points right" and assist a once venerable franchise--the San Francisco 49ers--in winning a football game. Was Leon Washington's brilliant kick return for a TD nullified because of a phantom illegal hit/hold or because the NFL had the fix in? I, along with many fans who have watched football over the decades, have the same thought when we watch games like yesterday's: The NFL is shaving points to help certain teams win. Call Commissioner Roger Goddell--the latest in a long line of game riggers--and ask him why his officials were so one sided and inept again during our game. Oh, wait, he's probably still at "the Club" with the rest of the good ol' boys stuffing his face with eggs Benedict and laughing over how they pulled one over on the fans again this week.

give me a break.

It was a terrible call, but the fix wasn't in.

The fix is in every week. Look at all the blown calls throughout this season that have cost teams games, and people money. Yesterday was a prime example. Did you read Mike Westhoff's lips as he was lambasting the official that made that abysmal call on Washington's game changing TD? I don't think I've ever seen him that upset, something ManDunce should try once in a while. Flat out: The NFL wanted the Niners to win yesterdays game. They did it by having Ed "I Am the Wost F**king Excuse for An NFL Referee Who Has Now Cost At Least Two Teams This Year Wins Because I Am A Corrupted Steroid Case" Hochuli and his crew call the game in favor of San Francisco.

The officiating was horrendous yesterday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you can't advance a fumble for a TD unless it is recovered by the same player who fumbled the football. During the 49er's first TD, Gore fumbled the ball at the 1 yard line, the ball bounced into the end zone, and it was recovered by one of the SF offensive linemen for a TD. Shouldn't the ball be placed at the 1 yard line in such a case?

The Jets were screwed over in the same exact scenario last week.

Am I wrong here, or did the refs completely blow this call? Why did Mangini let this go without putting up a fight?

Jet Nation: Home of the only undefeated team because they never lose a game. They get F'd out of a victories 40 years and counting.

You like having TDs taken away on phantom calls? Most of us here know that THE NEW YORK JETS--PLAYERS AND ORGANIZATION--ARE THE BIGGEST CHOKERS IN THE NFL. The coaches and players always deserve the majority of the blame for losses. But, some of us also know that the NFL--through the feigned ineptitude of their officials--alter games weekly. They accomplish this by either not calling infractions for one team, or calling ones in key spots for the other. Go look at what has happened to various teams with awful officiating this year. The statistical probability of so many game altering blown calls in that time period would be nearly impossible.

The officiating was horrendous yesterday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you can't advance a fumble for a TD unless it is recovered by the same player who fumbled the football. During the 49er's first TD, Gore fumbled the ball at the 1 yard line, the ball bounced into the end zone, and it was recovered by one of the SF offensive linemen for a TD. Shouldn't the ball be placed at the 1 yard line in such a case?

The Jets were screwed over in the same exact scenario last week.

Am I wrong here, or did the refs completely blow this call? Why did Mangini let this go without putting up a fight?

i think it is a fumble in last 2 min..maybe i'm wrong i;m old

53 was right there, phuck him

there were 4 fumbles and we only got 1

I'm getting pretty sick of blaming referees. I hate blaming referees, it only gets you mad and makes you sound like an idiot.

I want to be clear. I am not blaming the officials for yesterday's loss, although I think they contributed greatly towards it. We all know that THE NEW YORK JETS--PLAYERS AND ORGANIZATION--ARE THE BIGGEST CHOKERS IN THE NFL. My intent in starting this thread--which I will bump each week from here on in--is for Commissioner Goddell, and the rest of the NFL brass, to know that some of us life long fans have questions. Major questions. These "blown calls" by officials are becoming commonplace. Why? Should I even bother? Goddell and his flunkies probably don't have internet service in their limos.

You like having TDs taken away on phantom calls? Most of us here know that THE NEW YORK JETS--PLAYERS AND ORGANIZATION--ARE THE BIGGEST CHOKERS IN THE NFL. The coaches and players always deserve the majority of the blame for losses. But, some of us also know that the NFL--through the feigned ineptitude of their officials--alter games weekly. They accomplish this by either not calling infractions for one team, or calling ones in key spots for the other. Go look at what has happened to various teams with awful officiating this year. The statistical probability of so many game altering blown calls in that time period would be nearly impossible.

Have you ever ref'd a game? I have. ;)

Seriously though, I did a volunteer ref job for my kids soccer game. We are talking 10 year old kids. There was one play and I was in good position eyes on the play to make a call and it happened so fast I did not know what happened. Now you are talking about NFL athletes. Mistakes happened.

we had them at first and long, second and along and blew it each time. the Leon call back was awful but the 9ers got some bad calls as well. The jets just suck and are deemed unwatchable until i hear they get another win.

See you guys in 2011. haha

Have you ever ref'd a game? I have. ;)

Seriously though, I did a volunteer ref job for my kids soccer game. We are talking 10 year old kids. There was one play and I was in good position eyes on the play to make a call and it happened so fast I did not know what happened. Now you are talking about NFL athletes. Mistakes happened.

Kudos to you for volunteering. We are in complete agreement regarding the speed of the NFL game and the difficulty in catching everything or how mistakes happen. The problem I have is that the NFL has never really made a true attempt to remedy the problems. All of us watching the game at home know that the field referee should not be the arbiter for replay. That function should reside with the booth official who has the best vantage point and all the technology. They could change the system tomorrow, but they choose to let a flawed method continue.

Another is that certain plays or penalties can't be reviewed. Why? If someone made a mistake, fix it. Watch the replay of the call that nullified Washington's TD; it was a joke. If a proper system is in place, that call is reversed. I said this last week: The NFL must tell its fans one of two things: 1. Our officials and systems are flawed and we are not skilled enough to ameliorate them, or 2. We know the system is broken, but choose to allow it to proliferate so that we may favor certain teams or shave points periodically.

The only problem I have with officiating is the fact that they review the play on the field. It would save so much time if they just did it up in the booth. I can't believe they are still using that archaic approach. I'm not even talking about yesterday, I was at the Broncos game and it was the second coldest I've ever been. The time it takes to review a play is completely absurd.

lol

if the NFL was fixing games, it would be JETS/Giants in the SB

c'mon man

the 9ers ?

they just wanted it more, and martz coached circles around manGINA and sutton

It's not a true fix in the classic sense. I believe that officials are told to call a game tighter for one team over another, or to throw a flag--or not throw a flag--in key spots. By doing this they, essentially, shave points.

It's not a true fix in the classic sense. I believe that officials are told to call a game tighter for one team over another, or to throw a flag--or not throw a flag--in key spots. By doing this they, essentially, shave points.

give it up

did you see what the NBA went through ?

the commish knows there are only two things that threaten the league seriously

point shaving and cheating

why do you think the pats* tape was destroyed so fast ?

it showed something that terrified him

it always come down to blocking and tackling and who wants it more

the 9ers wanted it more

simple

i think it is a fumble in last 2 min..maybe i'm wrong i;m old

53 was right there, phuck him

there were 4 fumbles and we only got 1

What does inside of two minutes have anything to do with it? Either you can advance a fumble forward for a TD or you can't. I'm surprised to see no one talking about this today as it had a huge impact on the game and set the tone for SF. We could have stopped them on 3rd down and changed the whole direction of the game.

A completely blown call that goes against basic NFL rules.

I agree, 53 (Spencer) is a bum. He had the ball in his hands.

give it up

the 9ers wanted it more

simple

I respect your opinion and envy your perspective. Unfortunately, I am too much of a cynic--and have seen too many questionable calls over the many years--to agree.

What does inside of two minutes have anything to do with it? Either you can advance a fumble forward for a TD or you can't. I'm surprised to see no one talking about this today as it had a huge impact on the game and set the tone for SF. We could have stopped them on 3rd down and changed the whole direction of the game.

A completely blown call that goes against basic NFL rules.

I agree, 53 (Spencer) is a bum. He had the ball in his hands.

No, he's right...only in the last two minutes does the player who fumble it have to recover it to advance it. The TD yesterday was good.

Thanks for the clarification although you didn't have to be an ass about it.

Hey DD, I thought the same thing yesterday when the play happened....I remember this scenario from a couple of years ago. C. Martin fumbled into the endzone and another Jet recovered the ball but it was called back because Martin didn't recover it....I do believe that was in the final two minutes of the game though.....That's a stupid rule if you ask me....What does being in the final two minutes have to do with anything? Points are points no matter when they are scored.

did anybody else read Westhoff's lips on screen after that penalty? YOU MOTHER F***ER!!! to Hockule and ya know what? He DESERVED IT

Yes. I remember that and I was laughing when I saw it because about five seconds earlier thats exactly what I was saying to the TV.

I respect your opinion and envy your perspective. Unfortunately, I am too much of a cynic--and have seen too many questionable calls over the many years--to agree.

that's cool

but you have to remember the crews get graded for SB spots and playoff spots, so I think they really do try to do their best, but they are human and screw up

I also believe any conspiracy needs to involve only a handful of people. what you are suggesting would involve literally over 100 people

not very likey none of them has ever gotten pissed off over money and dropped a dime

I don't blame the officials for the loss. The game the officials and league should be ashamed of is the recent Steelers game. Taking Polumalu's points off the board was a complete disgrace and completely incorrect.

we had them at first and long, second and along and blew it each time. the Leon call back was awful but the 9ers got some bad calls as well. The jets just suck and are deemed unwatchable until i hear they get another win.

See you guys in 2011. haha

The 49er's got some bad calls as well? When? They only got 3 calls for the entire ****ing game and they looked like there were plenty of blatant holds missed.

Yes. I remember that and I was laughing when I saw it because about five seconds earlier thats exactly what I was saying to the TV.

You stopped? I was saying it right along with Westie, throughout that cluster**** of a drive in reverse and straight through the commercial break.

Hey DD, I thought the same thing yesterday when the play happened....I remember this scenario from a couple of years ago. C. Martin fumbled into the endzone and another Jet recovered the ball but it was called back because Martin didn't recover it....I do believe that was in the final two minutes of the game though.....That's a stupid rule if you ask me....What does being in the final two minutes have to do with anything? Points are points no matter when they are scored.

The rule is in effect only in the last 2 minutes because it is designed to stop intentional fumbles. Intentional fumbles are too much like illegal forward passes. In the 70's or early 80's, when Stabler was with the Raiders, he fumbled one at the end of a game. As he fell to the floor he batted the ball forward and Dave Casper dragged it into the endzone for a TD. I think they beat the Oilers and I think the game had playoff implications. They probably (and they are probably correct) believe that the last 2 minutes is the only time teams will intentionally fumble.

*The play is known as the Holy Roller and there is a wikipedia page and a link to audio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_(American_football)

give it up

the 9ers wanted it more

simple

True. Hochuli is an incompetent buffoon, but there isn't any fix. The NBA is losing tv and gate audiences like crazy right now because the Donaghy scandal showed the refs were playing with the pointspread and under/over.

give it up

the 9ers wanted it more

simple

Are you talking about the tapes that were shown for 3 hours on ESPN and NFL Network during the Matt Walsh/Arlen Specter dog and pony show in May?

The tapes that showed defensive signals, down and distance, Dolphins & Chargers cheerleaders. All things I see when I sit in the stands?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Herm knew the Pats were taping signals (he even waved to the camera at one point), and Mangini was on the Pats coaching staff.

The Pats broke an NFL rule and paid dearly for it. Is Belichick a prick? Of course he is.

You are fast becoming the new madmike. Trust me, you don't want to be him.

Are you talking about the tapes that were shown for 3 hours on ESPN and NFL Network during the Matt Walsh/Arlen Specter dog and pony show in May?

The tapes that showed defensive signals, down and distance, Dolphins & Chargers cheerleaders. All things I see when I sit in the stands?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Herm knew the Pats were taping signals (he even waved to the camera at one point), and Mangini was on the Pats coaching staff.

The Pats broke an NFL rule and paid dearly for it. Is Belichick a prick? Of course he is.

You are fast becoming the new madmike. Trust me, you don't want to be him.

no silly

how could they have been shown in may if they were destroyed a month after spygate began ?

no silly

how could they have been shown in may if they were destroyed a month after spygate began ?

Your jealousy/unmitigated hatred for the Pats is on full display. Has it ever occurred to you that the Pats were better than the Jets when it counted?

In case you are dumber than a stump the Jets beat the Pats in their 2nd meeting in 2002, 2006 & 2008.

So much for your theory about the Pats getting an advantage from stealing signals.

BTW: Those wins were in Foxboro.

Archived