Sawx to sign Baldelli, and Smoltz

JonEJet

They signed 3 players who can't stay on the field? How exactly does that make them the team to beat?

Who knows if Smoltz would be able to pitch in the American League, along with the toughest division in baseball. Besides, I think he'll be out until at least June.

Brad Penny is a bum, end of story, he can't be any worse then Bartolo Colon though, can he?

Baldelli has had troubles staying on the field for years now, he's clutch, but he'll only be a bench player for them.

Baldelli is good if healthy. It's always a good thing to have some quality guys coming off of the bench. But the Yanks are making some decent minor league deals.

John Rodriguez I think is pretty good, but Angel Berroa in my opinion is a scrub. He's like Wilson Betemit without the power. So in other words, he's useless.

They signed 3 players who can't stay on the field? How exactly does that make them the team to beat?

Who knows if Smoltz would be able to pitch in the American League, along with the toughest division in baseball. Besides, I think he'll be out until at least June.

Brad Penny is a bum, end of story, he can't be any worse then Bartolo Colon though, can he?

Baldelli has had troubles staying on the field for years now, he's clutch, but he'll only be a bench player for them.

Brad Penny might be a bum, but he's the 5th starter. And if he turns out to be a bum for 5 million, then Smoltz can step in and be the 5th starter, for 5.5 million. Not too shabby.

Baldelli has had troubles staying healthy, but appraently he's been diagnosed and treated and is going to be ready to go. He's the 4th outfielder anyway. He should be a great role player.

Maybe one more pen arm and figuring out the catching situation and the Sox will be all set. They are not the team to beat, but they aren't one to sleep on either, especially if healthy (which every team says).

Brad Penny might be a bum, but he's the 5th starter. And if he turns out to be a bum for 5 million, then Smoltz can step in and be the 5th starter, for 5.5 million. Not too shabby.

Baldelli has had troubles staying healthy, but appraently he's been diagnosed and treated and is going to be ready to go. He's the 4th outfielder anyway. He should be a great role player.

Maybe one more pen arm and figuring out the catching situation and the Sox will be all set. They are not the team to beat, but they aren't one to sleep on either, especially if healthy (which every team says).

smoltz is kaput...arm blown up

Smoltz has always been one of my favorite pitchers. Obviously I want him to do well in Boston, but I really don't want to see a washed up shell of his former self. It would be a shame to see that from who I consider to be one of the best of our generation.

As for Baldelli, yeah Carl it's my understanding he's being treated too. As a 4th OFer, I absolutely love it. I'd hate chancing him as a starter at this point, but who knows, if he can stay healthy we've seen how great a player he can be.

Really. They were the team to beat before those signings. ;)

Really? I thought it was the Tampa Bay Rays that knocked you out of the postseason. If you were the team to beat, wouldn't you have beaten the Rays then?

I knew I could get a Skank fan response. :rolleyes:

I like all the Sox signings. If healthy all can help and the best part is they are basically just depth for right now.

A healthy Smoltz in the 2nd half makes their staff very good. Big if, but at the price tag well worth it.

Penny I can never figure...great stuff but never pans out to be the Ace I thought he would become.

Baldelli if cured of whatever that ailment was is a good player. I really thought the Yanks would have looked at him for CF.

Sox have also reportedly brought back Mark Kotsay on a 1-year 1.5 million dollar deal. He should do a solid job back up the outfield and first base again this season. Kotsay, Baldelli, Bard and Lugo = very strong bench.

Good move. He's a veteran who's use to the pressure of pennant races .

Sox signed former Dodger closer Saito.......another nice low risk big reward move. Theo is quietly putting a very deep club together although return to health by these guys will be the key.

If healthy that's as good a back of the pen as anyone with the exception of the Mets and Yanks if Joba sets up which he won't.

The deal was completed after Saito passed his physical on Friday. It includes a guarantee between $1.5 million and $2.5 million, the sources said, and Saito will have the chance to earn more than $7 million if he reaches all of his incentives.

If healthy, Saito could emerge as a late-inning complement to closer Jonathan Papelbon. Saito, who turns 39 on Feb. 14, spent the past three seasons as the Dodgers closer. He missed significant time last season with a sprained ligament in his elbow and the Dodgers did not offer him a contract for 2009, making him a free agent.

Best thing about these signings is that if they do not work out the Sox have young players ready to step in and contribute. This just gives them more leverage in trades for hopefully a stud catcher.

Penny, Smoltz, Baldelli, Bard, Saito and Kotsay for base salaries for less than 20 million dollars. That's pretty good value.

If Saito is healthy they also probably have the best pen (on paper) in the league.

I still believe Penny sucks, but every other move they've made I think have been good moves, for what they've paid anyway.

There is nothing the Sox can lose by their signings, but the could gain a lot.

If Brad Penny pitches you'll see a lot the Sox could lose... lol

Better hope this new Sox pen can hold a lead for 4-5 innings for Penny, like they do with Matsuzaka as well... lol

Whatever the Sox get from Penny, he is so low risk it won't matter. Not to mention they have lots of SP depth in the minors.

And with the pen as currently constructed, it might be shutdown city after the starter anyway.

Solid moves by Theo and Lucchino, low risk high reward, they didn't need much, only to get healthy and mature the likes of Lowrie, Ellsbury, Masterson and Buchholz.

Smoltz is probably the best move because he can add the occasional start but mostly serve as a quality set up man, something they reall didn't have last season

Archived