Ratliff

lancemehl

How could anybody see what Ratliff did in preseason last year and say, "No, don't want him"

Did he at least not spark interest? Do we at least not want to see him play against first stringers?

Help me here.

If a player shines in college, where he is clearly the best player on the field, we want to draft him first round, but if a player shines against other PROFESSIONALS who are equal in talent (all third stringers) we say, " ahhh, he only played against third stringers"

Logic,please,someone, help, idiot i must be.

I would rather see a guy who played like Joe Montana against Professional thirdstringers in a pre-season NFL game, than a guy who played like Joe Montana at Boise ST. Is it me?

I love you lance!

:gay:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 Ratliff threads? REALLY?

Clemens deserves another shot, with a real Oline. If he sucks, then we try the scrubs. I'm rooting for the underdog just like everyone else, but I also enjoy being realistic.

I think if there is no Favre then the Jets go in with an open competition and may the best man win.

I think if there is no Favre then the Jets go in with an open competition and may the best man win.

And honestly, thats all im asking for. Im a Ratliff supporter but if Clemens goes out there and in 4 preseason games he shows that he's the man...then he's the man. Not a problem with it. I just want to make sure that we're not leaving a "Jake Delhomme", "Steve Young" or "Tony Romo" on the bench too long.

And honestly, thats all im asking for. Im a Ratliff supporter but if Clemens goes out there and in 4 preseason games he shows that he's the man...then he's the man. Not a problem with it. I just want to make sure that we're not leaving a "Jake Delhomme", "Steve Young" or "Tony Romo" on the bench too long.

the way Jake played in the playoffs this year, i am sure he could be on our bench if we wanted him.

the way Jake played in the playoffs this year, i am sure he could be on our bench if we wanted him.

Jake will be at Dell"Home" this coming season after that dump he took in the playoffs... he is not Chad... only Chad can pull of that ****ty performance and sucker his way back in... lol

As well as Steve Young at this time...whats your point?

Im talking about as an overall producer in this league. Remember, the only reason why Jake doesnt have a ring on his finger is because the Patriots probably paid off the kicker with their cheating asses lol Anyway, Jake Delhomme has been a producer every year. So he had one bad game and it happened to be a playoff game. We have a QB on our team who's been bad almost every game and couldnt even get into the playoffs.

Big difference

Im talking about as an overall producer in this league. Remember, the only reason why Jake doesnt have a ring on his finger is because the Patriots probably paid off the kicker with their cheating asses lol Anyway, Jake Delhomme has been a producer every year. So he had one bad game and it happened to be a playoff game. We have a QB on our team who's been bad almost every game and couldnt even get into the playoffs.

Big difference

no real point other than the guy was the suck in the playoff game this year.

BTW, which qb of ours are you referring to?

Big difference

2008 - 16 games - 15 TD's 12 INT's

and that playoff game...

He did bad all year... not one game...

no real point other than the guy was the suck in the playoff game this year.

BTW, which qb of ours are you referring to?

Referring to Clemens. My opinion is that Favre is no longer a Jet. When you think about retiring 1 time and you decide to comeback...and you dont succeed and you decide to think about it a 2nd time....I dont think you come back a 2nd time. This is more than just business, he's second guessing his talent against his personal life.

Im not saying that he doesnt deserve a chance, Im just saying he souldnt simply be "given" the job.

Why not?

Chad was... Favre was.... both of them suck ... why not let a young guy with upside have a shot at it?

I know though... you cant take that big of a risk with a 16 game season and millions of dollars riding on it...

Referring to Clemens. My opinion is that Favre is no longer a Jet. When you think about retiring 1 time and you decide to comeback...and you dont succeed and you decide to think about it a 2nd time....I dont think you come back a 2nd time. This is more than just business, he's second guessing his talent against his personal life.

Favre is too ****y to ever think he might not be great.

Why not?

Chad was... Favre was.... both of them suck ... why not let a young guy with upside have a shot at it?

I know though... you cant take that big of a risk with a 16 game season and millions of dollars riding on it...

Because when the Jets just give a job to a player as you stated yourself, they end up sucking.

And this isnt about a young player, because if it was then Ratliff would win in that department too.

Lets see how everything leading up to the start of the season plays out.

I don't think Clemens has that much more of a grasp of the offense then Ratliff. They've been in the system for a couple of years now.

If Ratliff was doing better then Clemens all preseason, why didn't Mangini at least try and move Ratliff to 2? It's kinda hard to find a players ceiling of playing ability if you don't change his setting. Realistically, I would like to see Ratliff get more time, and chance against first stringers, and if he is better than Clemens then we need to shoot Clemens ass further down the depth charts and stop being stubborn since he was a second round pick.

With a new regime coming in I think everyone should start at zero. Find out who knows more and who looks better and forget what round they were taken in and do a real evaluation.

I think the only thing that really bothers people is that people are going overboard with Ratliff. He's pretty much a complete unknown because a couple of nice deep balls against 3rd string preseason defenses isn't enough to annoint him the "QB of the future." I would like him to compete with Clemens for the job but its very annoying that some people are acting like he should be given the job or that he's shown anything worth getting excited over.

I think the only thing that really bothers people is that people are going overboard with Ratliff. He's pretty much a complete unknown because a couple of nice deep balls against 3rd string preseason defenses isn't enough to annoint him the "QB of the future." I would like him to compete with Clemens for the job but its very annoying that some people are acting like he should be given the job or that he's shown anything worth getting excited over.

EXACTLY! great post

or he didn't want to look like a fool for wasting a high second rounder on a guy who got beat by an undrafted free agent.

Clemens was not a high 2nd rounder. He was the 17th player taken in the round. We had a high 2nd rounder (the 3rd pick in that round) and traded down rather than drafting Clemens there, picking up Washington's 2nd round pick from the following season in the process.

What I think most agree on - though some curiously don't - is that it should be enough that EITHER one of these guys works out. I would not be so picky as to be upset because of liking Ratliff better than Clemens (or Clemens better than Ratliff) months before the team's first OTA of the upcoming season.

Who gives a crap? As long as someone wins a good competition, rather than winning simply ecause the other guy was just so awful, I'll be happier with whichever one it ends up being.

I have not seen where people are "giving" the job to Ratliff. I think they just want him given a fair chance to compete.

That's about it.

The Ratliff Fan Club in here cracks me up. I wish him all the best, and hope has enough going on that the new staff wants to take a long look at him this summer. That can only be a good thing for the team. But the guy was playing catch at the end of a couple preseason games. No defensive gameplans. Not a lot of guys who made NFL rosters, probably.

What do you think Schottenheimer thinks of him? He never had a shot at the starting job last year, and the Jets chose to carry a fourth QB. I don't know.

Yes, and that 4th QB was Ratliff!!!Ainge was drafted

see, I thought they carried 4 QBs because of how Ratliff performed..

if Ratliff stunk it up when he went in, he was going to be the odd man out...

I think Ainge, Clemens, and obviously Favre were the guys to fill out the QB position, and once Ratliff did what he did, they felt they had to ensure they could hold onto him.

BINGO!

BTW, that 2nd round pick vs. UFA means crap now. here's what REX sees:

Clemens: 2 inches shorter, 20 pounds lighter, sucked to mediocre EVERY single time he stepped on the field.

Ratliff- Excellent size, played great EVERYTIME he stepped on the field, even against 2nd stringers, where he threw for 350.

You take away that 2nd round ego thing and Clemens looks very Bollinger-like.

:face:

Can he please, PLEASE, just once do something effective against maybe 2ND STRINGERS? Please.

Dear god, enough of these ****ing Ratliff threads. The guy isn't any better than Brooks Bollinger. If he were so good, he would've jumped at least Kellen on the Depth Chart. He didn't.

because clemens was a 2nd round pick!!!! If clemens started 07 from day one, i bet my life Ratliff would've been playing by week 8!

You can compare Ratliff to Aaron Rodgers, I can compare Ratliff to Alex Smith as he played in the exact same offense to Smith and proceeded him as the starter at Utah.

Its all irrelevant.

I just do not understand why a couple of Preseason throws against the guy on TV in the Budweiser shirt is so special.

I think Jets fans, and a lot of people around the NFL, are in too much of a rush to find the next star at the Quarterback position. One good pass or one good throw and the guy is Jesus.

Doesn't work that way.

Ratliff is a no-no until we can at least see some second string success.

It is what it is, a 3rd stringer playing well against 3rd stringers and guys that didn't even make the 1st cut. Congrats to Brett, he kicks ass against 3rd stringers and Budweiser guys.

are WE too quick to annoint him or are YOU too quick to dismiss him? We're asking for a fair shot, others are saying Clemens and that's it. And I will bet anything on this planet Clemens will NEVER be an effective starter in this league, I've seen it. Now I'd like to see the guy who bigger try.

The fact remains: he was pretty undistinguished in college, and he has zero NFL experience, save a few series against truck drivers and insurance salesmen.

This summer's TC should be very interesting...

and yet they chose to keep him on the roster, interesting.

I don't know if it's been stated, but I'll answer the open question ...

The reason why Clemens was No. 2 over Ratliff all year was because of only 1 thing:

Experience.

It was actually reported on during the season. Mangini wanted someone with NFL regular season experience to back up Favre because such a QB would be more comfortable coming into a game if Favre got hurt. With an inexperienced QB like Ratliff it is better to have a full week of practice and start the game. But for a vet (which Clemens is now because of 2007) it would be easier for him to come in and play at a moments notice.

Also, Clemens had his chance to win the starting role: in 2008 preseason. I firmly believe that if Clemens wowed Mangini and the organization in his competition with Chad the Jets would never have pursued Favre. Instead, Chad played CPF and Clemens was mediocre at best.

i don't think anyone here isn't ntrigued by ratliff. i, for one, am all for giving him a legitimate shot at winning the job.....but for christ's sake, don't just do nothing to address the fact that we have biq question mark at the position. bring in a vet to compete. draft a qb early. trade for a guy like quinn....idk what the answer is, cause obviously i don't have access to the GM's of other teams or player's agents to aske who's available and what not......but something has to be done.

I have not seen where people are "giving" the job to Ratliff. I think they just want him given a fair chance to compete.

there's a fair share of peopel on this board who think we need a receiver or safety more than we need a ****ing quarterback....and that's because we have ratliff on the roster. it's a joke. some of them think it's because we have clemens.....which may be an even bigger joke.

I don't know if it's been stated, but I'll answer the open question ...

The reason why Clemens was No. 2 over Ratliff all year was because of only 1 thing:

Experience.

It was actually reported on during the season. Mangini wanted someone with NFL regular season experience to back up Favre because such a QB would be more comfortable coming into a game if Favre got hurt. With an inexperienced QB like Ratliff it is better to have a full week of practice and start the game. But for a vet (which Clemens is now because of 2007) it would be easier for him to come in and play at a moments notice.

Also, Clemens had his chance to win the starting role: in 2008 preseason. I firmly believe that if Clemens wowed Mangini and the organization in his competition with Chad the Jets would never have pursued Favre. Instead, Chad played CPF and Clemens was mediocre at best.

I think this is likely as well. We'll find out who's better and who's not if/when Favre is gone. The organization has whispered that they're very high on Ratliff. But that doesn't mean he's the guy they'd give the ball to first on no notice if Favre got knocked out of a random game while the team is in a playoff hunt.

He did the same thing with Clemens at #3 a year earlier when Ramsey was the #2. Everyone knew Ramsey sucked, but he had years of starting experience. On no notice mid-game, you put Ramsey in. With a week or more to prepare, and if he's played well in practice with first-team reps, then maybe you give the inexperienced kid a shot.

there's a fair share of peopel on this board who think we need a receiver or safety more than we need a ****ing quarterback....and that's because we have ratliff on the roster. it's a joke. some of them think it's because we have clemens.....which may be an even bigger joke.

I definitely think Rex will bring a vet QB from somewhere just because our qbs are 25, 22, and 23. I'm not saying Ratliff should get the job but I definently think we need a big fast receiver, no matter who the qb is.

Remember when Chad was the qb, how many times did you see Cotch or Coles burn past a CB in a foot race? It never happened then, and it didnt change when Favre came. If we didn't get Keller our passing game would look much worse.

I definitely think Rex will bring a vet QB from somewhere just because our qbs are 25, 22, and 23. I'm not saying Ratliff should get the job but I definently think we need a big fast receiver, no matter who the qb is.

Remember when Chad was the qb, how many times did you see Cotch or Coles burn past a CB in a foot race? It never happened then, and it didnt change when Favre came. If we didn't get Keller our passing game would look much worse.

Kyle Boller? :bag:

Archived