Mets sign Oliver Perez for 3 years at $46 million

Morrissey

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2009/02/mets_reach_term.html

METS REACH TERMS WITH PEREZ

By JOEL SHERMAN

The Mets have reached agreement with Oliver Perez on a three-year, $36 million contract that will be finalized when the left-hander passes a physical, the Post has learned.

The Mets know now the likely composition of their rotation with Perez joining Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey, John Maine, and either Tim Redding or Freddy Garcia, who is trying to work his way back from injury. This all but assures that Pedro Martinez will not be returning to the team.

The Mets had been haggling for a while with Perez's representative, Scott Boras. But in the end, Perez received neither a fourth year on the contract nor even an option year for a fourth year.

I don't believe the Mets had much off a choice. That is a lot of money though. The market is so strange right now. I thought it would pull back across the board.

Instead what gets cut out is the middle. Some guys still get paid but the ones in the middle don't. Weird.

I don't believe the Mets had much off a choice. That is a lot of money though. The market is so strange right now. I thought it would pull back across the board.

Instead what gets cut out is the middle. Some guys still get paid but the ones in the middle don't. Weird.

3 years/12 million per.. isn't a bad deal for the Mets

Not a bad deal for the Mets. I like it, Perez's upside is tantalizing and he is relatively young. His wildness and inconsistency drives everyone insane. I don't think this deal was what Perez and Boras had hoped for when Free Agency began. He was looking for something like 4-5 years and 15 per. This has been a crazy market. A lot of guys got screwed. If you look at it there is only a handful of guys that got what they wanted and more. 3 of those guys ended up on the Yankees.

I think teh Mets caved slightly on this deal, but it was probably reaching a middle ground.

I would have been happy with Sheets at 2 year 18 million dollar deal and take my chances. That is a risky proposition, though.

All depends which Oliver we get, which says a lot about what he his. This gives the Mets obvious status quo, which I am not sue is good.

I think teh Mets caved slightly on this deal, but it was probably reaching a middle ground.

I would have been happy with Sheets at 2 year 18 million dollar deal and take my chances. That is a risky proposition, though.

All depends which Oliver we get, which says a lot about what he his. This gives the Mets obvious status quo, which I am not sue is good.

Between Perez and Sheets you still get inconsistency in some form. In Sheets it's the injury bug and when oh when will he end up on the DL. With Perez is who shows up that day. But you have to wonder how bad the med sheet on Sheets is considering how many teams have chosen not to sign consider how lights out the dude can be.

Interesting, Boras has had a rough year. Tex got what he wanted but still. Curious as to how Met fans feel about this. I think it's a decent signing for them, better option then whatever else they had.

I like it. It's alot of $$ but it's their best option. I just hope Ollie gets more consistant.

It's not. IMHO I think we'll be hard pressed to make the playoffs at this point.

Who says they're not ? :P . I can't believe they have ZERO interest in Dunn.

They better. I dont' cheer against the Mets but these are the times I feel bad for the fan base. You without a doubt or excuse have one of the greatest hitters in the game AVAILABLE TO YOU in the free market. The Mets aren't the Pittsburgh Pirates so they should be able to fork over the $$ to get him. I'm sure some people don't like HIM but when he's hitting bombs out of Citi Field the fans will be happy.

I feel better with a supposedly stronger bullpen, here we can pull Ollie after any 6th inning troubles.

Agreed. Not a guy I want at the top of the rotation, but I always liked him. He can shut down another team better than most I've seen, he just can't do it consistently. Going in, we know we're going to have some debacles with him, but he should win more than a few games and if the bullpen isn't a disaster, I think he'll have a great year.

They better. I dont' cheer against the Mets but these are the times I feel bad for the fan base. You without a doubt or excuse have one of the greatest hitters in the game AVAILABLE TO YOU in the free market. The Mets aren't the Pittsburgh Pirates so they should be able to fork over the $$ to get him. I'm sure some people don't like HIM but when he's hitting bombs out of Citi Field the fans will be happy.

He was available to you as well. Just because we are not publically stating interest does not mean we are not monitoring him. Tex wasn't exactly destined for the Yanks publically yet it happened. All media releases during FA period are nothing more than posturing the majority of the time.

I want him but you can NEVER forget this guy quit on his last team and threw away key at bats just because he was unhappy. Let's not make like we are talking about Albert Pujols hanging out there. Manny is a major headache depending on his attitude at any given time. I want him on the Mets but with his baggage, price tag and age it is far from a no brainer.

Meh.

For what was left for pitching, its the best available at a good price.

But he isnt the missing piece to a championship puzzle. Hopefully he can perform up to his contract.

True but at least it means the rotation can be good to very good. For that to be true it means Pelfrey must continue to be the rising star we saw last seaon and that Maine(healthy) and Ollie return to 2000 form.

Also adding Sheets on a short deal would make us very tough to beat but the brass must be somewhat sure Garcia will rebound. Redding is decent insurance and did pitch well against the Phils last year.

The bench is pretty bad so I guess we have to address that and possibly a Beimel type for the pen.

He was available to you as well. Just because we are not publically stating interest does not mean we are not monitoring him. Tex wasn't exactly destined for the Yanks publically yet it happened. All media releases during FA period are nothing more than posturing the majority of the time.

I want him but you can NEVER forget this guy quit on his last team and threw away key at bats just because he was unhappy. Let's not make like we are talking about Albert Pujols hanging out there. Manny is a major headache depending on his attitude at any given time. I want him on the Mets but with his baggage, price tag and age it is far from a no brainer.

That's why a short deal is great for him. I see your point about "publicly stating pursuit" but I'm saying I'd be disappointed if I were a Mets fan. At this point the Yanks don't need him but he'd be a nice addition. If we didn't land Tex I'd be singing a different tune.

Archived