Jets talking to Ty Law

RSJ

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets05,0,6046769.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Jets talking with Ty Law

BY BOB GLAUBER

STAFF WRITER

March 4, 2005, 10:19 PM EST

The Jets said goodbye to another key free agent Friday, welcomed two acquisitions, signed a third player to an offer sheet and began negotiations with what could be the biggest catch of all.

Care to have three-time Super Bowl-winning cornerback Ty Law on your team?

The Jets are talking with the former Patriots cornerback, two sources have told Newsday. Law, 31, was released last week in a salary-cap move and is on the open market.

Law, who spoke with team officials Thursday, suffered a fractured foot Oct. 31 against the Steelers and missed the rest of the season, including Super Bowl XXXIX. He is not completely healthy, which could factor into how much the Jets are willing to offer in a contract. At full strength, Law is one of the league's premier cover corners.

If Law were to sign, it could impact veteran Donnie Abraham, who joined the team as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay in 2002. Abraham fell out of favor with the Jets' coaching staff near the end of last season.

Law, the Patriots' first-round pick in 1995, tied Raymond Clayborn's franchise record with 36 career interceptions. He is a four-time Pro Bowl selection, including three straight from 2001-2003.

The Jets also are continuing their efforts to complete a trade for Redskins receiver Laveranues Coles, the former Jet who was signed by Washington in 2003 as a restricted free agent. The only remaining hangup is working out a contract for Coles, who is being asked to forfeit $5 million of the $13-million signing bonus he received from the Redskins. The Jets would trade fourth-year receiver Santana Moss if and when Coles agrees to a contract offer.

Meanwhile, the Jets signed tight end Jeb Putzier, a restricted free agent from the Broncos, to a five-year, $12-million offer sheet. The Broncos have seven days to match the offer. If they let him go, the Jets will forfeit a sixth-round pick in next month's draft. Putzier had 36 catches for 572 yards and two touchdowns last season.

The Jets declined to compete with the Giants' megabucks offer for offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie, who signed a seven-year, $37.8-million deal Friday. The Jets have no immediate plans to sign a replacement for McKenzie -- former Titans right tackle Fred Miller is available -- and might select a tackle in a draft that is considered very deep at the position.

The Jets have filled two other needs by signing backup running back Derrick Blaylock, an unrestricted free agent from the Chiefs, and Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree, who will figure into the defensive line rotation.

"I'm very excited to be with the Jets," said Blaylock, a backup in Kansas City to Priest Holmes. "I got a good feeling from the organization. I think I can contribute."

Blaylock hopes to carry the ball as many as 15 times a game, although workhorse running back Curtis Martin, who won the NFL rushing title last year, still figures to handle the bulk of the running game.

On Thursday, the Jets lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys and backup running back LaMont Jordan to the Raiders.

Ty is going to have to realize that he's not going to command the kind of money his agent tells him he is. The Chiefs don't even want him for christ sake. I could start at corner for the Chiefs and the last time I played corner was.......NEVER!!

If Gary Baxter is getting a $12.5 mil signing bonus, Ty Law is getting 15. No doubt. If you're the Jets, IMO, you do it and you don't blink. They are losing credibility by the second here, and Ty Law, IMO, will give them instant cred. Then they can go back to business as usual and get low-level FA's to fill holes.

Do you guys really think signing Law will bring back credibility? Did you hear what I said? The Chiefs don't even want Law. You have to KNOW that something isn't right here. He rolled into Arrowhead on his pimped out rascal. He's been tooling around on that thing for an awful long time. At what point do you start wondering if the guy is through?

Do you guys really think signing Law will bring back credibility? Did you hear what I said? The Chiefs don't even want Law. You have to KNOW that something isn't right here. He rolled into Arrowhead on his pimped out rascal. He's been tooling around on that thing for an awful long time. At what point do you start wondering if the guy is through?

Alk, Donnie Hendu's defense made it look like David Barrett could play. Ty can come in here and be average and it would be OK. The Chiefs have about $400 million dollars tied up in their offense, and Vermeil can't pay anybody on defense now. They're f'ed. The Jets have some coin to spend, and they may as well use it on Ty.

did you see the peices of sh*t we had at CB last year?

case closed.

did you see the peices of Sh#t we had at CB last year?

case closed.

Did you see the pieces of sh#t that the Chiefs fielded? There couldn't possibly have been a worse bunch of corners in the entire NFL. I'm just saying, if he recovers he'll be a great addition for you guys but at this point, I would even be leary of him coming back to the Patriots at a fourth of his previous salary.

Are you kidding? The chiefs couldn't even lock up Trotter. They have 2.5 million in cap space and have yet to improve thier team at all, and probably won't all offseason. Chiefs are really not a great example here.

Ty is going to have to realize that he's not going to command the kind of money his agent tells him he is. The Chiefs don't even want him for christ sake. I could start at corner for the Chiefs and the last time I played corner was.......NEVER!!

Since when did The Chiefs become The Masters of Defense?

Just because they don't want a player, We should follow suit because they are the almighty judges of defensive talent.

Look at all the scrubs that KC has signed or drafted over the years. A players value goes up in my eyes if The Cheifs don't want that player.

I wait for The Chiefs test. If The Chiefs think that Jonathan Vilma stinks. I'm drafting him. I'd stay away from the defensive players they like. :)

Since when did The Chiefs become The Masters of Defense?

Just because they don't want a player, We should follow suit because they are the almighty judges of defensive talent.

Look at all the scrubs that KC has signed or drafted over the years. A players value goes up in my eyes if The Cheifs don't want that player.

I wait for The Chiefs test. If The Chiefs think that Jonathan Vilma stinks. I'm drafting him. I'd stay away from the defensive players they like. :)

You misunderstand. What I'm saying is the Chief's secondary is absolutely horrid. So if they had the remote chance of signing Law, why wouldn't they do it? I can't find the article but he honestly couldn't even work out for them and that's probably why they didn't pursue things any further. It's been how long since his surgery and he still can't work out. I'm just a poster, I'm not going to stand in anybodies way. Sign him up but I wouldn't be so gung ho about him if I were you. Don't you find it strange that people haven't been beating down his door like they have been with Smoot?

Don't you find it strange that people haven't been beating down his door like they have been with Smoot?

Law not drawing as much interest has a lot to do with the age difference between him and smoot. He is also scheduled to meet with the Bills tomorrow I believe. Look the bottom line here is the chiefs have no cap room. That is why they didn't sign Law or Trotter for that matter.

Law not drawing as much interest has a lot to do with the age difference between him and smoot. He is also scheduled to meet with the Bills tomorrow I believe. Look the bottom line here is the chiefs have no cap room. That is why they didn't sign Law or Trotter for that matter.

If the Chiefs don't have the cap room, why are they even bothering to invite players like Rolle in for visits?

If the Chiefs don't have the cap room, why are they even bothering to invite players like Rolle in for visits?

Idk, in hopes of seeing if they could talk them down in terms of dollars? I saw a report that the chiefs were having Priest and other players meet Rolle and other free agents to try and persuade them into signing with the chiefs. Look the facts are the chiefs have no cap room and have yet to close the deal with anybody.

By the way,

Fred Smoot is better than Anthony Henry and Ken Lucas. He's also better than Gary Baxter.

Henry has still got burn marks from T.J. Houshmanzadeh last year and I don't even want to get in to all the fun that Lucas had covering Keyshawn Johnson.

Not all teams are smart. Jonas Jennings stinks and he got a zillion dollars to get beat by Leonard Little and Bertrand Berry for 7 sacks next year.

I've seen a ton of teams make mistakes over the years in judging talent. Remember I am a Jets fan.

By the way,

Fred Smoot is better than Anthony Henry and Ken Lucas. He's also better than Gary Baxter.

Henry has still got burn marks from T.J. Houshmanzadeh last year and I don't even want to get in to all the fun that Lucas had covering Keyshawn Johnson.

Not all teams are smart. Jonas Jennings stinks and he got a zillion dollars to get beat by Leonard Little and Bertrand Berry for 7 sacks next year.

I've seen a ton of teams make mistakes over the years in judging talent. Remember I am a Jets fan.

Id rather pay Fred Smoot then Ty Law.Call me crazy.

I'm not sold that Smoot is a "great corner" per se. Before that Skins team had Greg Williams blitz on every down, Smoot got very exposed by the Giants. IDK if I'd pay him big bucks. Law, I'd do it and hope he has two seasons left.

I'm not sold that Smoot is a "great corner" per se. Before that Skins team had Greg Williams blitz on every down, Smoot got very exposed by the Giants. IDK if I'd pay him big bucks. Law, I'd do it and hope he has two seasons left.

Ty Law isn't getting anybetter or younger. Smoot can only get better and i believe if Henderson can get the youngs Ravens secondary playing big league ball then he can do the same for smoot.

JMO.

Ty Law isn't getting anybetter or younger. Smoot can only get better and i believe if Henderson can get the youngs Ravens secondary playing big league ball then he can do the same for smoot.

JMO.

You should change the location on your avatar, it's been a while. 8)

Listen here dingle berry ,i own you . I got the deed with your name on it right here,i won it off max in a game of strip poker.

When the dust settles and the smoke clears, one man will be on top :shock: .....Me.

The rest are just imitation

Atwater,Lott,Lenoard Marshall,Art Monk,Boomer Esiason

etc..Don't the Jets just love Old players whose best

days are gone to join the club?? No to a 31 year old

Law..Unless it's 1 year for Vets minimum! Go for the

young players unless the only Ring you want is from

a old Vet that got it playing for another Team in his

"Younger" days..The Jets already have been kind

to the Senior Citizens by giving one a job running the football!! :roll:

Atwater,Lott,Lenoard Marshall,Art Monk,Boomer Esiason

etc..Don't the Jets just love Old players whose best

days are gone to join the club?? No to a 31 year old

Law..Unless it's 1 year for Vets minimum! Go for the

young players unless the only Ring you want is from

a old Vet that got it playing for another Team in his

"Younger" days..The Jets already have been kind

to the Senior Citizens by giving one a job running the football!! :roll:

Smoot > Law for the money they will demand at this point in their careers.

I think it would be a good signing, for the right money. He played w/NE - played against Buff, Miami - he knows the receivers, schemes, etc. in the division. He parcticed against the first team offense in NE. I think it would be a very smart move. Plus, one thing about Ty Law, he plays great w/something to prove and a chip on his shoulder. Honestly, this guy is a fierce competitor.

Archived