Dolphins signing safety Gibril Wilson

faba

The Miami Dolphins didn't wait until Friday's start of the free-agent signing period to address their need at strong safety.

Top stories | Rumors | Video | Photos

FOXSports.com has learned Gibril Wilson has agreed to contract terms with the Dolphins. Further details weren't immediately available.

Wilson became available when released by Oakland, an unexpected move considering he was signed to a six-year, $39 million contract in March 2008. Wilson finished last season as Oakland's second-leading tackler with 129. Wilson, 27, spent his first four seasons with the New York Giants and was a starter on the team that defeated New England in Super Bowl XLII.

Both of Miami's 2008 starting safeties -- Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill ? are set to become unrestricted free agents at midnight Friday.

The Wilson signing is the third major personnel move Miami has already made this offseason. Within the past week, the franchise also inked right tackle Vernon Carey and linebacker Channing Crowder to multiyear contract extensions.

This close to the FA period, you would have thought Wilson would have waited.

He knew he wanted to play for a winning team. No need to wait untill free agency starts when a franchise like Miami comes calling. I read his agent told him the Jets were going to offer more money on Friday, but Wilson said he wanted to play for winners, hence his signing early ;)

He knew he wanted to play for a winning team. No need to wait untill free agency starts when a franchise like Miami comes calling. I read his agent told him the Jets were going to offer more money on Friday, but Wilson said he wanted to play for winners, hence his signing early ;)

He had no need to wait for FA because he was cut. He'd be stupid to wait until the money dries up. This had nothing to do with a "franchise like Miami" calling

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning!

if thats true then i'm glad he signed already. i'd rather have sean jones personally.

Your homeriffic attitude is adorable!

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning!

That's what I'm here for ;)

if thats true then i'm glad he signed already. i'd rather have sean jones personally.

Ha, not sure if it's true or not. If it is, I have an uncanny senese for making up the truth.

Your homeriffic attitude is adorable!

Uhhh... um... Thanks, I guess.

Is this sarcasm?

How are you a "winner" if you've been "winners" (I guess by your logic being a winner is playing in the postseason and getting your ass handed to you) only once since 2001?

Having the highest winning percentage in the NFL since the merger, makes us winners.

Yes, we got our ass handed to us in the playoffs. How did the Jets do?

Said the DolFAG troll. :P

Archived