any 3-4 DE's in the draft ?

Larz

You bet there is, his name is Everette Brown from Florida State.

This is the ONLY defensive player I will take, if he's off the board then we HAVE to do defense. But this guy is a complete monster, literally.

can anyone tell me if there are any good sturdy 285 lb DE's in this draft ?

txs

The best and most natural 34 DE is Tyson Jackson outta LSU; the kid was basically born to play the 5 technique. He is fast for his size, 4.9 40 at 6'4" 295 lbs, strong as an ox and can hold hid ground on double teams and is excellent against the run. He isn't an elite pass rusher by any means, but for his size, he can still get after the QB.

Jarron Gilbert (6'5 288 lbs - 4.87 40), who you may have seen jump out of a pool, is raw, but possesses unreal physical attributes.

Ziggy Hood (6'3" 300 lbs) - is another favorite of mine; strong enough to collapse the pocket and hold his ground, but is also very quick off the line. Very quick for his size and has the ability to make plays in the backfield as well.

Fili Moala (6'4" 304 lbs) is an athletic stud. I'm not sold on him being a 34 DE, but he has all the tools for it. He isn't the best at disengaging from blocks or using his hands, but possesses the perfect beldn of size and speed. I think he's best utilized as a 43 UT, but if chosen, I certainly feel Rex could use him in very unique ways. Probably a 2nd to 3rd round guy.

This is the ONLY defensive player I will take, if he's off the board then we HAVE to do defense. But this guy is a complete monster, literally.

I've seen you say this before and he's an excellent prospect, but he weighs only 256 lbs at 6'2". I would love if we had a spot for OLB, but he's just not a good fit for us. I didn't follow him much in college so maybe he weighed that much before, but he has been viewed as an OLB for a while now. His frame doesn't look like it could support that weight so as much as I would like to have him, i think it'd be a luxury pick with Pace, Thomas and Gholston.

I've seen you say this before and he's an excellent prospect, but he weighs only 256 lbs at 6'2". I would love if we had a spot for OLB, but he's just not a good fit for us. I didn't follow him much in college so maybe he weighed that much before, but he has been viewed as an OLB for a while now. His frame doesn't look like it could support that weight so as much as I would like to have him, i think it'd be a luxury pick with Pace, Thomas and Gholston.

lol

Ghost you want us to take a small LB at the same position as Gholston?

:rl:

Ghost wants our 34 DE's to be Jason Taylor and Everette Brown so that the signing of Bart Scott can mean absolutely nothing as our DE's are pushed 40 yards downfield each play.

Here are the REAL 34 DE prospects:

Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State (6-5, 287)

Tyson Jackson, LSU (6-4, 295)

Everette Pedescleaux, Northern Iowa (6-6, 305)

Khalif Mitchell, East Carolina (6-5, 317)

Zach Potter, Nebraska (6-7, 279)

Rulon Davis, California (6-5, 281)

Bobby Greenwood, Alabama (6-5, 280)

If Tyson Jackson is at #17, you take him. If not, Hicks.

Make it happen.

Ya, it's a tough call. In my opinion there isn't anyone who's a more natural 5-tech than Jackson, but with Rex's scheme he may want someone who's more familiar with playing in a 43 as well.

Is Hicks a nickname for Hakeem Nicks???

The perfect scenario for me would be Nicks at 17 and Gilbert in Round 2.

Likewise, except for switch Nicks with DHB for me. Gilbert reminds me a lot of Kendall Langford from last year, only more explosive and athletic. I think he would make one heck of an addition. Gotta love drafting the big uglies.

The perfect scenario for me would be Nicks at 17 and Gilbert in Round 2.

From a needs perspective I think that is definitely the ideal:

Round 1 = WR

Round 2 = DE

Round 3 = Call Bradway up and get his thoughts on kickers

Round 4 - 7 = Depth

The best and most natural 34 DE is Tyson Jackson outta LSU; the kid was basically born to play the 5 technique. He is fast for his size, 4.9 40 at 6'4" 295 lbs, strong as an ox and can hold hid ground on double teams and is excellent against the run. He isn't an elite pass rusher by any means, but for his size, he can still get after the QB.

Jarron Gilbert (6'5 288 lbs - 4.87 40), who you may have seen jump out of a pool, is raw, but possesses unreal physical attributes.

Ziggy Hood (6'3" 300 lbs) - is another favorite of mine; strong enough to collapse the pocket and hold his ground, but is also very quick off the line. Very quick for his size and has the ability to make plays in the backfield as well.

Fili Moala (6'4" 304 lbs) is an athletic stud. I'm not sold on him being a 34 DE, but he has all the tools for it. He isn't the best at disengaging from blocks or using his hands, but possesses the perfect beldn of size and speed. I think he's best utilized as a 43 UT, but if chosen, I certainly feel Rex could use him in very unique ways. Probably a 2nd to 3rd round guy.

Excellent choices....Ziggy Hood is the guy I'm targeting for us...originally thought he would make it to us in the second round now I'm pretty sure we will have to use our 17th overall to get him in Green and White. The guy is a stud and most are not projecting him as a 3-4 DE. I know some think we need to address a backup for Jenkins and we do but Hood would really make a defense something special.

Gilbert ain't gonna be there in Round 2 where we pick..

It's beginning to look like a distinct possibility, which is why, if he's our guy, we go and get him and trade up with our second.

He would be best utilized in a hybrid scheme, like the one Rex runs. He can be lined up almost anywhere on the line, on all different downs, creating huge mismatches. As a 43/34 type hybrid scheme or "3.5-3.5" he could effectively play the 43 LE, 34 DE, 43 UT and he could be like CJ Mosley or Ellis last year and slide inside as our NT on passing downs. I really like this guy.

He would be a waste in Mangini's old scheme, but in Rex's more penetrating, attacking defense, he could flourish.

Archived