jets could be the worst offensive unit in the nfl for the 09 season

joewilly

That doesn't change the fact that he showed nothing.

Okay, so playing well enough to bring your team back on the road, against one of the best defenses in the NFL (Baltimore) in one of your first NFL games only to lose because your WR doesn't catch the ball is "nothing". Gotcha.

Okay, so playing well enough to bring your team back on the road, against one of the best defenses in the NFL (Baltimore) in one of your first NFL games only to lose because your WR doesn't catch the ball is "nothing". Gotcha.

Hell, that happened to Clemens 3x on the same last-drive in his first start. To be fair it would have been a good catch by Coles. Maybe if he was worthy of $28M over the next 4 years he would have caught it. Then he still came back after that & threw two more to JMac, both of which he muffed; the second one getting popped up into the air for a pick.

But his receivers have difficulty catching footballs that hit their hands. Therefore the QB didn't play well enough. Mmm-kay.

Nope, we'll have a good running game again. That will carry the offense.

The fact that we have Schotty still here worries me though along with the issues at QB and WR. We will not be the worst though, our O-line is far too good for that.

We absolutely can be the worst, absolutely.

Thomas Jones, as great as he was last year, gives us no guarantees, look at his career body of work, he is no Curtis Martin.

On the flip side:

He could be great again, because we DO have a great Line. We have weapons. If one of our young QB's and one(or two) of our young WR's emerge, plus we creatively use Leon,Keller, and Brad Smith

we can be near the best.

Total crap shoot this year. Rex seems to be unlike any other rookie head coah, any other one would have Leftwich and Marvin Harrison on this team, panicking.

I guess he trusts schotty more than we do. Or the man has the patience of JOB, which could turn Leftwich and Harrison into Cutler and the best WR in the draft.

Nope, we'll have a good running game again. That will carry the offense.

The fact that we have Schotty still here worries me though along with the issues at QB and WR. We will not be the worst though, our O-line is far too good for that.

Not necessarily. YEs The Oline is a very good run blocking oline, but a very average pass blocking oline. You can bet teams are going to load up to stop the run and dare the Jets to beat them with the pass.

Don't fool yourself Brett Favre played a hugh part in the Jets sucess on the ground last year.(defenses had to respect his ability) Now you put an inexperienced Qb back their and what do you think is going to happen. The opposition stops the run and gets the Jets in known passing situations and it could get real ugly on offense.

Thomas Jones is not a great running attack....I promise

We need a bruiser.....Beanie Wells would look great wearing Green and White

Thomas Jones isn't a brusier? Are you serious? Lay down the pipe. You saw what he can do in Chicago behind a good OLine and what he did last year for us. Nobody could produce behind the pitiful OLine that was the 2007 New York Jets.

If we take a RB with the 17th overall selection the Jets will be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Thomas Jones isn't a brusier? Are you serious? Lay down the pipe. You saw what he can do in Chicago behind a good OLine and what he did last year for us. Nobody could produce behind the pitiful OLine that was the 2007 New York Jets.

If we take a RB with the 17th overall selection the Jets will be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Yeah, I can't agree more.

Regardless of what Thomas Jones is or is not, he will be 31 next season. Not good for a RB. He doesn't have much left.

It may not be the pick I want but to say getting Wells/Moreno would make us the "laughing stock of the NFL" is just not true. It would be a very understandable pick.

Thomas Jones is not a bruiser. The very idea is silly. He doesn't have the power that his physical appearance would seem to indicate. If there isn't a hole, he doesn't push a pile or carry tacklers an extra couple of yards. He doesn't hurt defenders trying to tackle him play after play. In recent years, a guy like Jamal Lewis is (was) a bruiser. Jerome Bettis was a bruiser. Brandon Jacobs is a bruiser. Marion Barber is a bruiser. Michael Turner is a bruiser. That Stewart kid on Carolina is a bruiser. RB's like Ricky Williams, Deuce McAllister, Fred Taylor, and even lesser-heralded guys like Rudi Johnson were bruisers.

Thomas Jones is not that kind of runner. Not even close.

He's a solid but unspectacular all-purpose back. A so-so one-cut runner with little power for his size. Generally stays healthy (more so than he did with his other teams), doesn't fumble, and is a good blocker.

But he is no power back. He's also not a speed back. He's not really special at anything on any given play. I'm trying to imagine any play where I said to myself, "Man, only Thomas Jones & maybe a handful of other RB's could have done that." He doesn't do anything special or so much better than others with the ball in his hands on a given play. If you need a sure one or two yards on demand, he's not your man as he WILL get stuffed without a hole being created by his blockers. On the flip-side, if you need a "wow" 30+ yard play, he's not your man either. In this regard, he's exactly like your hero Martin.

I'd have no problem with drafting a guy like Wells. But a RB, to me, isn't the type of position where someone needs to be groomed or experience is needed to be really good. Especially bruisers; their careers don't typically last over 5 years. So taking one in round 1 this year is hardly a necessity. There are RB's to be found in every draft throughout the draft (or after the draft is over). So if we draft someone in round 1 and he's going to get 100 carries or less, then it's stupid. He'll then have 4 years left on his rookie deal and will be looking for a new mega-contract extension before his 5th year.

I'm fine with another year of Jones/Leon if Leon is actually given significant playing time on offense (which at this point we are led to believe will happen). We don't need a 3rd RB in 2009 to be drafted in round 1 though. If someone like Wells presents the best value, then fine. I'd rather a draft-slot-worthy luxury pick than reaching for a combine-warrior because we need a WR (which we do).

Sperm as much as I agree with your premise I cannot see the Jets even considering taking a rb in the first round. With the current offensive line and Jones/Washington the running game should be considered a strength. If a valued wr is not available at #17 I would not be opposed to a corner or offensive lineman before a rb. Unless the Jets are not going to re-sign Leon........

Sperm as much as I agree with your premise I cannot see the Jets even considering taking a rb in the first round. With the current offensive line and Jones/Washington the running game should be considered a strength. If a valued wr is not available at #17 I would not be opposed to a corner or offensive lineman before a rb. Unless the Jets are not going to re-sign Leon........

I didn't say I want them to take one. I think there are a lot more things we need. Personally, if top value isn't there at WR, I like the idea of a CB. Lito Sheppard is due like a $10M roster bonus or whatever next year. It would be nice if we had someone who was groomed for a year as a nickel back in '09, ready to start in '10. It's not like Sheppard has been a model of good health his whole career either.

I don't know about the worst in the league. That seems a little steep, even for self hating Jet fans. As a Dolphins fan, I am willing to wait until AFTER the draft before I make any sort of prediction on how bad you guys will be. Because as we all know, after the raft, we all know who will do what and by how much each team will win/lose.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of draftin Pettigrew, the TE

Exactly what we need....can start from Day 1, can block

Fills a need

BINGO!

pettigrew is the perfect pick as long as he is as good as they say for the obvious reasons.

I cannot believ no mocks have the Jets taking him....then again how many of those mocks are ever correct after say the 2nd pick

Archived