jets could be the worst offensive unit in the nfl for the 09 season

joewilly

Nope, we'll have a good running game again. That will carry the offense.

The fact that we have Schotty still here worries me though along with the issues at QB and WR. We will not be the worst though, our O-line is far too good for that.

make no mistake.......we have a good o-line but we look to be one of the worst offenses in the league right now.

What makes the 2008 Baltimore Ravens offense on paper look any sexier?

Quarterback -- Baltimore

Joe Flacco is a sexier name than Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff because he was a 1st round pick, but all three were unknown -- Flacco coming into 2008, Clemens and Ratliff coming into 2009. For now, BAL has the edge.

Backfield -- Slight edge to Jets

BAL: Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, LeRon McClain

NYJ: Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Tony Richardson

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends -- Slight edge to Baltimore

BAL: Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Yamon Figurs, Todd Heap

NYJ: Jerricho Cotchery, David Clowney, Chansi Stuckey, Dustin Keller

Offensive Line -- Jets

BAL: Jared Gaither, Ben Grubbs, Jason Brown, Chris Chester, Willie Anderson

NYJ: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, Damien Woody

I kind of agree. I think we have an above average o line and rb's. Which should be able to carry the team. But, we won't be able to run with 8 guys in the box. We have to have some sort of weapons for the passing game or it won't matter who we have back there.

All we need to do is have the QB do just enough to keep the defense back. We really don't need more than 20 passes from the QB to win. This team is going to be a lot like the 2004 Steelers, 2008 Ravens and other run first, run second and maybe pass third teams of the past. We are going to run the football down a defenses throat until they can prove that they can stop it consistently enough for us that we're not scoring. It will be frustrating at times, but that is what we're going to be doing so we best get used to it. You wanted Rex Ryan? You got Rex Ryan and his teams. Get ready for a ton of 10-6, 13-10 games and winning by RUNNING NOT THROWING and defense, during this regime.

I don't think we have enough in the Passing Game right now to keep those Defenses honest, they'll stack the box against the run until we prove ourselves capable of beating it. We really need that explosive option at WR to make them pay for that, which I'm hopeful is where our 1st round pick is going.

so favre and coles are irreplaceable ? and baker too ?

favre carried the jets maybe twice last year, and coles and baker can easily be replaced

QB is still a huge concern, but coles can be replaced by a number of veterans and baker already has been replaced

we may still sign veteran WR's after the draft, and we'll certainly land 1 or 2 in the draft

winning with defense and a running game can work

favre carried the jets maybe twice last year, and coles and baker can easily be replaced

QB is still a huge concern, but coles can be replaced by a number of veterans and baker already has been replaced

we may still sign veteran WR's after the draft, and we'll certainly land 1 or 2 in the draft

You better hope so.

The running game will only be as effective as your QB. If he cannot keep the opposing Ds honest, then the Jets are going to struggle offensively.

The Jets D should be improved, but I doubt it is at Baltimore's level. The Ravens were able to win with a rookie QB because of a great D. The other team rarely scored over 17 points. If the Jets D can do this the team will be ok. If not, trouble.

We still wont be the worst offense in the AFCE.

Did Detroit join the AFC East?

What makes the 2008 Baltimore Ravens offense on paper look any sexier?

Quarterback -- Baltimore

Joe Flacco is a sexier name than Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff because he was a 1st round pick, but all three were unknown -- Flacco coming into 2008, Clemens and Ratliff coming into 2009. For now, BAL has the edge.

Backfield -- Slight edge to Jets

BAL: Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, LeRon McClain

NYJ: Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Tony Richardson

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends -- Slight edge to Baltimore

BAL: Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Yamon Figurs, Todd Heap

NYJ: Jerricho Cotchery, David Clowney, Chansi Stuckey, Dustin Keller

Offensive Line -- Jets

BAL: Jared Gaither, Ben Grubbs, Jason Brown, Chris Chester, Willie Anderson

NYJ: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, Damien Woody

The Ravens offense didn't get them to the AFC Championship game either..

Also.. Our WR's are much, much worse on paper.

We can probably get a better blocking TE than Baker, who was overrated in that area. He was merely average. We have to get a credible wideout. Someone who can shake a corner playing man defense. I think we have people who can throw. Let's see what BS does with them. I am not as down on our QBs as some here. Until they fail, I adopt a wait and see attitude. Clemens did nto fail. He was put in a meat grinder. Maybe he did not look good, but I do not consider that a failure.

We can probably get a better blocking TE than Baker, who was overrated in that area. He was merely average. We have to get a credible wideout. Someone who can shake a corner playing man defense. I think we have people who can throw. Let's see what BS does with them. I am not as down on our QBs as some here. Until they fail, I adopt a wait and see attitude. Clemens did nto fail. He was put in a meat grinder. Maybe he did not look good, but I do not consider that a failure.

Kellen Clemens showed the Jets NOTHING during his 7 games starting.. How is that not considered a failure??

He got his opportunity... He blew it..

He shouldn't get another opportunity, but he probably will.

Kellen Clemens showed the Jets NOTHING during his 7 games starting.. How is that not considered a failure??

He got his opportunity... He blew it..

He shouldn't get another opportunity, but he probably will.

I hate to break it to you but the 2007 Jets sucked. The offensive line was horrible. Kellen deserves a chance to play behind a decent o-line before people throw him under the bus.

Exactly.........:cheers:

I have a soft spot for the guy because I saw him get absolutely crushed by Richard Seymour in Foxboro that season. He had about .25 seconds to get rid of the ball as Clement (I think it was him) didn't bother to touch Seymour on the play.

Plus he beat Pittsburgh that year and thats always a good thing in my book.

I hate to break it to you but the 2007 Jets sucked. The offensive line was horrible. Kellen deserves a chance to play behind a decent o-line before people throw him under the bus.

That doesn't change the fact that he showed nothing. He was downright erratic, even when he did have time..

Kellen Clemens isn't anything special..... He's basically a version of Chase Daniel that never had the opportunity to be exposed on national tv.

There was no way he should have ever been drafted in the 2nd round.... How many mediocre QB's from a spread offense that were injured most of their senior season get selected in the first day????

Nobody in the Jets brass is rooting for Kellen Clemens... Lets not forget he was given every chance in camp last season to win the starting job and by all accounts performed horribly..

Thomas Jones is not a great running attack....I promise

We need a bruiser.....Beanie Wells would look great wearing Green and White

Despite his size, i never thought of Beanie Wells even in the conversation of a bruising runningback. He plays far too soft. I think he's a fantastic prospect and would be a great addition, but as far as a bruiser goes, I personally don't think he's that. He is a much better version of michael bush, but plays very similar to it. Both have great size and speed, but don't pay nearly as big as their size should indicate. If he could have the same demeanor as a marion barber, he'd be near unstoppable.

That doesn't change the fact that he showed nothing. He was downright erratic, even when he did have time..

Kellen Clemens isn't anything special..... He's basically a version of Chase Daniel that never had the opportunity to be exposed on national tv.

There was no way he should have ever been drafted in the 2nd round.... How many mediocre QB's from a spread offense that were injured most of their senior season get selected in the first day????

Nobody in the Jets brass is rooting for Kellen Clemens... Lets not forget he was given every chance in camp last season to win the starting job and by all accounts performed horribly..

I'm rooting for the Rat but be fair to Clemens.

The O-line sucked and he was constantly under pressure. I don't remember him having more than 3 seconds to get rid of the rock EVER that year. The starting running back on this god forsaken team had one rushing touchdown all year ONE!, defense wasn't helping much (an exception or two), and when Coles was in, Cotch tended to be out - when Cotch was in, Coles tended to be out.

I'm not going to write him off. He played what, eight games? Ok so now all we need to decide he's a bum is the fact that he played poorly on an AWFUL team for an amazingly long period of eight games, in a season where he wasn't anticipating being the starter? Then the next year in camp he wasn't beating out a QB with several playoff appearances, who ended up deserving a pro-bowl nod?

I remember thinking Eli Manning sucked too. There was more than one year that he looked like one of the worst and Giants fans were calling for his head. I specifically remember thinking I'd rather have Grossman over Eli. Now all of the sudden this guy is a top 10 QB in this league.

I'm not saying Clemens is good. Not saying that at all. But god, what did you expect him to look like in his first eight starts? What would you want, you want him to look like Flacco's rookie season? You've got to take into account the team he was playing with. What was he supposed to do, wish away the constant pass rush? Turn Justin McDroppins into Jerry Rice? Push TJ into the endzone? Be realistic.

Archived