Julius Peppers headed to the Patriots?

Alk

Why wouldn't Wilfork go anywhere?? Yes, he's a NT, an elite one, but he could also shed a few pounds and play some UT in a 43, he's that talented, as you know. Also, you might have noticed the plethora of other teams that are starting to run a 34 who would sell their first born for him; denver and green bay being a couple new ones.

If you don't lock him up and lose him because of the peppers signing, than you will be quite sorry. He is the key to your defense and without him, peppers will just be like 24 ct. gold spinners on a '84 Cutlass supreme.

I am not saying he would not be a valuable commodity on the open market. Far from that.

I am saying giving a second and paying Peppers is a great move. Doing that and letting your blocker occupying big body in the middle minimizes the impact you hope to get.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
March 16, 2009

Panthers: No Peppers deal, or talks

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney denied an Internet report Monday that the Carolina Panthers were working on a trade to send defensive end Julius Peppers to the New England Patriots for a second-round pick, 34th overall.

Furthermore, Hurney said he was unaware of any activity involving Peppers and other teams.

An NFL.com story indicated Carolina and New England were hoping to complete the trade sometime between next week's owners' meetings in Dana Point, Calif., and the draft in late April.

“By the rules of the (collective bargaining agreement), we cannot and have not had any conversations with other teams about Julius,” Hurney said in a statement. “Under the non-exclusive franchise tag, Julius and his agent, Carl Carey, are within their rights to talk to other teams about a potential contract. However, at this point, we are not aware of any such conversations.”

Carey did not return telephone messages.

Peppers' contract expired following the 2008 season, after which he and Carey said he wanted to move to another team. They said he was especially interested in playing in a 3-4 defense, which the Patriots employ.

Peppers and Carey were hoping the Panthers would not use their franchise tag on Peppers and instead allow him to become an unrestricted free agent. But the team tagged him just hours before the deadline last month after signing All-Pro left tackle Jordan Gross to a multi-year contract.

The Panthers have consistently said they want to keep Peppers, whose contract tender as a franchise free agent is counting $16.683million against the team's 2009 salary cap.

The team has very little salary-cap room, but seems willing to keep Peppers at that price. He counted nearly $14million against the Panthers' cap last season, when he had a career-high 141/2 sacks and was selected to his fourth Pro Bowl.

The CBA allows Peppers to talk to other teams, who could sign him to an offer sheet. The Panthers would have the right to match the offer sheet, or reject it and receive two first-round picks in return.

There also have been instances when teams have agreed to less compensation in trades involving franchise players, but the Panthers so far have been steadfast about the CBA's trade terms for franchise free agents.

-- Charles Chandler

Could just be Carolina blowing smoke since they're technically not allowed to talk to other teams about Peppers since he hasn't signed the franchise tender yet. That's not to say they haven't been talking, they're just not going to fess up to it.

Buzz: 99.9 Chance of Peppers Trade Not Happening?

Posted on March 17th, 2009 by Bassett

I only heard part, but Adam Schefter was on WEEI in Boston this morning and told hosts Jon Dennis and Gerry Callahan that there was a

I only heard part, but Adam Schefter was on WEEI in Boston this morning and told hosts Jon Dennis and Gerry Callahan that there was a

Yep, and thats why its idiotic for anyone to imply that NE is trying to buy a Championship. Randy Moss's signing bonus was less than Fanacas who is a freakin Guard.

But Fanaca already had a ring...Moss still doesn't

Its about future performance and not whats on the resume.

I'll take Moss and his contract over Faneca's and Favres anyday.

you are changing the subject, you said it was about buying championships. You compared Moss's contract to Fanaca's..I merely pointed out that Fanaca didn't have to buy into the " I WANT A RING, I WILL PLAY FOR LESS category as does Moss..but I know that's what patsie* fans are best at, changing the subject

As it stands now they couldn't but that's not to say they couldn't make some moves to make the room. As I said earlier Jarvis Green and Tedy Bruschu come to mind.

I'm pretty sure they'd make the room. The whole idea of you D-bags having him in a Patriot uniform terrifies me.

As it stands now they couldn't but that's not to say they couldn't make some moves to make the room. As I said earlier Jarvis Green and Tedy Bruschu come to mind.

Booski is hardly a loss and i'm sure his cap # is not large

willfat will command Albert H cap #'s

Yes they could make some moves... but the problem is they need to re-sign some other guys too... Wilfork is going to cost a small fortune... and bringing in Peppers for big money is not going to make him any cheaper...

I only heard part, but Adam Schefter was on WEEI in Boston this morning and told hosts Jon Dennis and Gerry Callahan that there was a “99.9% chance” that the deal between the Panthers and Patriots will not happen. Schefter weakly cited that Peppers still needs to sign his franchise contract first and gave a few more reasons why it likely won’t happen.

I hate the sports media, I really, really do.

I heard the Adam Schefter interview in its entirety during my commute to work this morning. There was nothing weak about anything Schefter cited. He said, emphatically I might add, "Peppers will not be a Patriot." After further prodding, he said he was 99.9% sure it would not happen....but gee, you never know - the .1 percent could come through - with wasn't "weak" - I think it was more tongue in cheek. Oh, and I love how they gloss over the "few more reasons why is won't happen." The biggest reason is Wilfork and Seymour's contracts in 2010.

Looking at this logically -

1) The Panthers can't negotiate squat because Peppers has not signed the franchise contract. The only thing that can be happening is that Peppers agents could be out drumming up interest and talking $$ - he can't discuss compensation for the Panthers. So, basically, the story is something Peppers' agent wanted out there - that's what I think anyway.

2) No way the Pats spend that kind of cash on Peppers with Wilforks contract looming. No way the Pats spend that kind of cash on a "flash" player. No way the Pats spend that kind of cash on a DE that wants to be a 3-4 OLB. No way the Pats spend that kind of cash, period.

Cutting those 2 would save them about 3.5 million... and right now they have about 7-8 million in room... so that would give them 10-11 million...

Keep cutting... Peppers is going to cost 17 million +

Cutting those 2 would save them about 3.5 million... and right now they have about 7-8 million in room... so that would give them 10-11 million...

You honestly believe that if Peppers gets a long term deal someone is going to pay him $17 million per season? :rl:

Jets fans crack me up.

Peppers will not be a Patriot and Cutler will not be a Jet.

I don't know what his cap # is but I can almost guarantee that it's bigger than it should be.

Teddy is at like 1.6 million

You honestly believe that if Peppers gets a long term deal someone is going to pay him $17 million per season? :rl:

He will make 17 million this season, thats the cost of his franchise tag.

Teddy is at like 1.6 million

He will make 17 million this season, thats the cost of his franchise tag.

IF he doesn't work out a long term deal which WILL happen before he plays for any other team this season.

IF he doesn't work out a long term deal which WILL happen before he plays for any other team this season.

He will not be taking much if any less than his 17 million he knows he can make this season though... heck even if he took HALF the Pats still cant afford him...

He will not be taking much if any less than his 17 million he knows he can make this season though... heck even if he took HALF the Pats still cant afford him...

He'll get a fat bonus and a guarantee much larger than that number, but with a cap hit lower than $17M for this season.

He would much rather have a long term contract than 17 million right now and have his career ended on one fluke play, hell any player would. He'll get his $17 million + guaranteed just not all this season. Like I said, if the Patriots really do want him they will find a way to "afford him".

Yes he will.

What don't you understand about players would rather have long term deals than Franchise Tags? Don't you ever see players getting pissed about being tagged? If you don't, you arn't watching or reading anything. Matt Cassell is going to work out a 4 or 5 year deal with Kansas City and wherever Julius Peppers goes he will as well.

There is a reason players hate being tagged and some work out deals where they cannot be tagged for more than one season. Its because these players would rather have long term deals with more guarenteed $ than a one year, $16.7 million deal in which they could break their necks and their careers are over. You'd rather have a 5 year, $50 million deal with $25-30 million guarenteed.

Yes he will.

What don't you understand about players would rather have long term deals than Franchise Tags? Don't you ever see players getting pissed about being tagged? If you don't, you arn't watching or reading anything. Matt Cassell is going to work out a 4 or 5 year deal with Kansas City and wherever Julius Peppers goes he will as well.

There is a reason players hate being tagged and some work out deals where they cannot be tagged for more than one season. Its because these players would rather have long term deals with more guarenteed $ than a one year, $16.7 million deal in which they could break their necks and their careers are over. You'd rather have a 5 year, $50 million deal with $25-30 million guarenteed.

Yeah especially old washed up WR's like Coles... they will walk away from that 1 year of good money to get a long term deal..

Oh wait he got his money still this year too...

Yes he will.

peppers is goint to demand alot more than 25-30 guaranteed

Archived