Joba didn't top 92 on the radar gun last night...

Tucker134

I've read that a couple of places. Wang's mechanics are crap too. What's up with the Yankees pitchers and their mechanics? Bad mechanics lead to arm/shoulder injuries more often than not, or are a result from them.

Same thing they did with Hughes. They're changing their motions some because they think it will be better for their health long term. Maybe it will be but who the f##k is Dave Eiland?

Same thing they did with Hughes. They're changing their motions some because they think it will be better for their health long term. Maybe it will be but who the f##k is Dave Eiland?

Dave Eiland is the kind of guy that typically makes a very good prospect. He was a very good prospect who never made it. Why? He was a good pitcher he just wasn't that good, lol. He had good control but no velocity.

So maybe he is turning Joba and Hughes into his image. Paint the corners. 89mph is all you should need. :-P

Joba will never and I repeat NEVER be an elite starting pitcher, put it this way...He's nothing like the prospect of as David Price and never has been.

I'm not even quiet sure that Joba is even a STARTER...The man is a bullpen pitcher if I've ever seen one. He needs to pitch the 8th inning this year and once Rivera retires, he needs to be the closer because he's not meant for the role of a starter and I'll be honest...He could be one of the best closers in the game for years to come.

He's been overrated because he has a fast ball, wow...Big deal, Didn't Kyle Farnsworth also have an awsome fast ball?

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett

Pettitte

Hughes

Needs to be the roation with Joba as the setup man.

The one stat they quoted last night-last years 34% of Chamberlain's pitches were 93 MPH or better. This year so far it's 3%.He also looks overweight.

Suspect that this whole "strikeouts are bad; pitch to contact" horsespit is ruining every young Yankee pitcher. Which is why I like Sabbathia and Burnett so much; here's strike 1, and then strike 2. No nibbling, no BS.

As to pitch counts; heard Tom Seaver say that he, Jerry Koosman and Nolan Ryan regularly topped 100 and often 150 pitches in their starts in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Yet each went on to have solid 2 decade careers. Leo Mazzone is also an advocate of throwing alot and between starts.

If the Hughes and Kennedy a re going to come up here and throw strikes and challenge hitters, c'mon up to Fenway today. If they're going top nibble and pitch aroound the bottom of the order, don't bother.

Says who? He threw a couple of Pitches that topped out @ 99mph, unless the YES networks radar gun is broken.

The YES gun IS actually broken...

But the point stands: There is nothing wrong with Joba or his velocity. He has to take a bit off in order to start. Even ask a guy like Al Leiter, when you only need to go one inning you can throw as hard as you've got, because you can get the ice out when you're done. When you need to pitch 6+ innings you have to pace yourself.

And Tampa: You're an idiot.

Joba is highly touted not because of his fastball but because he has 4 pitches that he throws at a pretty high level for a young dude.

Finally: get over his weight. He's smaller than CC. He's thinner than David Wells. He's fine.

How can you hate a man who has, in his short career, thrown at Youklis 4 times?

Joba will never and I repeat NEVER be an elite starting pitcher, put it this way...He's nothing like the prospect of as David Price and never has been.

I'm not even quiet sure that Joba is even a STARTER...The man is a bullpen pitcher if I've ever seen one. He needs to pitch the 8th inning this year and once Rivera retires, he needs to be the closer because he's not meant for the role of a starter and I'll be honest...He could be one of the best closers in the game for years to come.

He's been overrated because he has a fast ball, wow...Big deal, Didn't Kyle Farnsworth also have an awsome fast ball?

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett

Pettitte

Hughes

_-69zDk8qw4

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett

Pettitte

Hughes

The quote in bold shows just how little you actually know about the subject being discussed. Joba was incredible because he mixed his high 90's fastball with one of the best sliders in baseball when he came up to the bigs. Some players compared it to John Smoltz who has one of the best sliders ever. It amazes me how many people will play the role of "expert" when they MIGHT know 1/10 as much as they pretend to know.

Saying Joba was only known for a good fastball is like saying Jimmy Rollins is only good because he runs fast. Ridiculous.

The quote in bold shows just how little you actually know about the subject being discussed. Joba was incredible because he mixed his high 90's fastball with one of the best sliders in baseball when he came up to the bigs. Some players compared it to John Smoltz who has one of the best sliders ever. It amazes me how many people will play the role of "expert" when they MIGHT know 1/10 as much as they pretend to know.

Saying Joba was only known for a good fastball is like saying Jimmy Rollins is only good because he runs fast. Ridiculous.

so why do you think he looks so pedestrian so far this year? His fastball certainly doesnt have the life it did last year before the injury or in '07, right? He's also not hitting his spots & walking alot of guys...he just doesnt have the mound presence he had- maybe it's just a matter of time? His mechanics seem off..

so why do you think he looks so pedestrian so far this year? His fastball certainly doesnt have the life it did last year before the injury or in '07, right? He's also not hitting his spots & walking alot of guys...he just doesnt have the mound presence he had- maybe it's just a matter of time? His mechanics seem off..

Much like the Yankees, I don't know why he's not as effective as he was before. In my personal opinion, when a team spends weeks talking about how a guys "mechanics are off" I think it's another way of saying "we don't know WTF is wrong with this guy".

I do think there is some validity to him taking a little off to compensate for the fact that he'll be going from 20-25 pitches per outing, to 85-110 per outing.

My post however, was addressing the fact that TBJF has not a single clue as to what he was talking about in reference to Joba. He knows about as much as a kid who jumped on one teams bandwagon and then read two or three articles about each of their division rivals so that he could pretend to know everything about everything. He did not succeed.

The YES gun IS actually broken...

But the point stands: There is nothing wrong with Joba or his velocity. He has to take a bit off in order to start. Even ask a guy like Al Leiter, when you only need to go one inning you can throw as hard as you've got, because you can get the ice out when you're done. When you need to pitch 6+ innings you have to pace yourself.

And Tampa: You're an idiot.

Joba is highly touted not because of his fastball but because he has 4 pitches that he throws at a pretty high level for a young dude.

Finally: get over his weight. He's smaller than CC. He's thinner than David Wells. He's fine.

How can you hate a man who has, in his short career, thrown at Youklis 4 times?

Two lefties with rubber arms. Joba is fat and out of shape. Its not helping.

Joba needs to be in the rotation now anyway, because if he's in the bullpen right now, and Wang on the DL right now, this is our rotation:

CC

AJ

Andy

Hughes (he pitched horrible last year, but he's got potential, and you'll see tomorrow)

Kennedy (Do we really want him in the majors again)

Joba needs to be in the rotation now anyway, because if he's in the bullpen right now, and Wang on the DL right now, this is our rotation:

CC

AJ

Andy

Hughes (he pitched horrible last year, but he's got potential, and you'll see tomorrow)

Kennedy (Do we really want him in the majors again)

Nope. Kennedy is injured, it would be Al Aceves in the 5th spot.

The pen has to pitch 4 innings every game, at least. They arent the problem.

In the past 3 games, the bullpen has only pitched 5 innings. Zero in Sabathia's start, 3 in Hughes start, and it's 3 in his start only because the offense decided to score 10 runs in the top of the 7th, and 2 in Joba's start. I'd say the starters have done excellent the last 3 starts, and the bullpen will be rested for the start of the Angels series.

What was interesting last night was after looking much like he had all season through the early innings, he came out with a quicker pace and throwing smoke once he had the big lead.

Last night was much closer to the Joba I expected as a SP.

It was like a light turned on, it was pretty weird...2 different pitchers before and after the 3rd inning.

Archived