Sawx fans want to trade Big Papi

Blackout

listening to the radio for an hour this morning I heard several Sawx fans call in about trading Big Pop-up

talk about loyalty and being delusional (who's going to take that contract for a .195 hitter?)

EDIT: Garb you are wrong, I was not listening to WEEI.

Boy oh boy

Do the Sawx fans have any class?

Trade their best player over the past 7 or 8 years?

Seriously?

He is hitting .195. In of itself is not a problem if he still had some of his other ability that made him a cult hero. He does not have any pop. He is not clutch. Tek is outhitting him. Tek.

The Sox need a bat. If they can do it without getting rid of Ortiz then so be it, but it is upto him if he can handle being relegated to the bench.

No they did not. Stop lying. I was listening to WEEI too. The monkeys there (and Lord knows Boston mediots LOVE being negative and controversial -d-bags) threw out what to do with Papi if he's done - and they are saying he is. They stated that after he's put down in the line-up - and still does not produce - do you put him on DL? Do you send him to FLA and work on his hitting? What do you do with him? I did not hear ONE fan say anything about trading him. I heard some people say release him and pay him his entire contract. The majority said he "deserved" the fans' patience. This is the thing though - how long can you afford to be patient with a DH who can't hit? That's the only thing they do - hit. What's the point?

i was listening to AM 620 this morning Garb

i don't listen to WEEI in the morning...it's a political show until 10 right?

Big Papi has zero trade value now. Large contract, not that young a guy anymore, one dimensional player, and he is not performing at all in that dimension.

If I was Terry Francona, I would bench Papi now, for 4-6 games. Then bring him back as the #6 hitter (not insult him and make him the #8 or #9). Then, let's see what happens.

Does anyone have the specifics on his contract? When he signed his extension, I seem to remember people calling him an idiot for not demanding more money.

His new agreement includes a $2 million signing bonus payable in three installments this year, keeps this year's salary the same and adds annual salaries of $12.5 million from 2007-10. The Red Sox get a $12.5 million option for 2011 with no buyout.

So he is a Sawx through at least 2010.

Exactly right. Who wants him for that much $$ ?

The gaining team would pay a pittance. The Sox would assume most of the remaining 20-25 million.

The Terrell Davis of the MLB?

Papi at his best...I dont think there was a player more feared than him.

I always feared that if I got too close to Ortiz that he might eat me. But as a hitter, there were several more fearful ones, as has already been pointed out.

I always feared that if I got too close to Ortiz that he might eat me. But as a hitter, there were several more fearful ones, as has already been pointed out.

I should have clarified...as a Yankee fan, in his prime, Ortiz was probably the last guy I wanted to see. Him or Manny.

But yeah, Bonds and Pujols obviously.

nationals lineup is one of the best in the NL - their problem is that the bullpen can't get anyone out.

also, how the hell is ortiz going to play in the field? i just don't see a 10M / year pinch-hitter.

And he is not even close to Nick Johnson as a 1B.

Archived