Exhibit A On Why Joba Needs To Move to the Pen

piney

Tonight's game is a prime example of why Joba needs to be in the 8th inning.

This game mirrored what a playoff game most likely will be.

Who cares about losing 8 games to the Sox, that is insignificant compared to what the impact would be if this were a playoff game.

If Joba is in the 8th inning, Giradi doesn't trot CC out there after a long top of the 8th in that crappy weather. Joba shuts it down and Mariano closes it.

Without that lights out 8th inning guy the Yankees will be a one and done team in the playoffs.

Maybe Joba's future is in the rotation, but I think, this year, he has to go in the pen.

The Yanks could get a starter....hell they have 8 starters right now if you count Hughes, Tomko, and Aceves.

They have no 8th inning guy and they have no insureance for Mariano...

Good point.

However, you are robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

To quote Forest Gump, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get." After CC, Joba has been the most consistent starter. Andy has alternated good and bad halfs the last four years. AJ is a .500 pitcher. Hughes might be great one day, but he is not there yet. CMW? Tomko? Aceves? Can he give you 20 starts in a dog fight of a pennant race? Doubtful.

Unfortunately for the Yankees, Joba is the solution at two trouble spots.

Good point.

However, you are robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

To quote Forest Gump, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get." After CC, Joba has been the most consistent starter. Andy has alternated good and bad halfs the last four years. AJ is a .500 pitcher. Hughes might be great one day, but he is not there yet. CMW? Tomko? Aceves? Can he give you 20 starts in a dog fight of a pennant race? Doubtful.

Unfortunately for the Yankees, Joba is the solution at two trouble spots.

I think it would be easier for the Yankees to go out and trade for a starter than it would be for them to get a lights out 8th inning guy.

Simply supply and demand...there are guys available like Cliff Lee, Bedard, Peavy (although it seems he wouldn't come), possibly Oswalt, and maybe even Halladay.

This is just the top tier pitchers..not mentioning the B and C level guys who could be available.

If the Yanks could get a guy like Cliff Lee and move Joba to the pen it would be like trading for two players..a starter and an 8th inning guy.

I think it would be easier for the Yankees to go out and trade for a starter than it would be for them to get a lights out 8th inning guy.

Simply supply and demand...there are guys available like Cliff Lee, Bedard, Peavy (although it seems he wouldn't come), possibly Oswalt, and maybe even Halladay.

This is just the top tier pitchers..not mentioning the B and C level guys who could be available.

If the Yanks could get a guy like Cliff Lee and move Joba to the pen it would be like trading for two players..a starter and an 8th inning guy.

Yanks need to make a great trade. We could we trade? Nady is coming back, we don't really need him.

Yanks need to make a great trade. We could we trade? Nady is coming back, we don't really need him.

I am sure they could pull the trigger on a guy like Cliff Lee...yeah...it could hurt the minors a bit...and maybe they have to give up someone they really want...but Lee is a proven AL pitcher who has been great this year.

They nab him and move Joba to the pen (which, with Joba's inning limit this year, they might have to do anyway).

Plus, I like the idea of a rotation with three leftys on this team.

How many innings did Wang go against the Sox? It would be nice to have Joba to pitch the eighth. It would also be nice to have 5 Johan Santanas to start, but I think we are better off with Joba in the rotation.

Agreed, you don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Hughes has looked fairly good in the 7th inning, I would say you guys should be set there with him over the next few years.

If you can just find that 8th inning guy and a couple of starters to replace Wang and Burnett, your staff should be set.

Hughes is going to be pushed as a starter. If he fails miserably the next 2 years then it's safe to say this assessment is correct. Making the assumption that Hughes will remain in the pen for the next few years is incorrect.

Ive heard Yankees might trade for Qualls. Either they trade a top prospect for him or they can also get eric byrnes + qualls and pick up his contract and trade a lesser quality prospect.

This is the kind of trade we should be looking at.

Chad Qualls? The guy has forearm issues and a very unimpressive stat line in the weak hitting NL West...

no thanks....

I have no problem getting a guy in the pen, but are they going to be better than Joba?

I mean...Joba in the pen is not just about this year...but as a successor to Mariano.

Didn't the Sox try Papelbon as a starter too? Doesn't he have three out pitches which makes him a sick closer?

Chad Qualls? The guy has forearm issues and a very unimpressive stat line in the weak hitting NL West...

no thanks....

I have no problem getting a guy in the pen, but are they going to be better than Joba?

I mean...Joba in the pen is not just about this year...but as a successor to Mariano.

Didn't the Sox try Papelbon as a starter too? Doesn't he have three out pitches which makes him a sick closer?

This thread is amazing.

FYI - Papelbon would still be starting if not for elbow issues. They don't think his arm is ok to throw 200 innings a year.

This thread is amazing.

FYI - Papelbon would still be starting if not for elbow issues. They don't think his arm is ok to throw 200 innings a year.

Papelbon would have been a starter, but he said he'd rather close. It didn't really have to do with arm issues.

This thread is amazing.

this isn't some kooky thought...

where are the Yankees weakest...in the pen....they have three guys who are starters in the pen, all of whom are not as good at short relief as Joba is...

Aren't the Yankees going to have to move Joba anyway due to his inning limit this year?

Because the 8th inning is just as important as the first 7 combined. :confused:

Who would want him getting 21 outs instead of 3?

because you have other player who can get those outs..there are three starters right now in the bullpen....

The Yankees won their World Series by shortening the game to 6 or 7 innings. Teams knew they couldn't score off of the relief.

First it was Mo and Wettland, then it was Stanton, Nelson, and Mo..

or if you want to use math...

Joba could pitch once every five days and maybe win his game (he only has 3 wins in 11 starts) or, he could pitch three to four times every five games and possibly hand the lead over to Mo...having a greater impact over the week.

Hughes has looked fairly good in the 7th inning, I would say you guys should be set there with him over the next few years.

If you can just find that 8th inning guy and a couple of starters to replace Wang and Burnett, your staff should be set.

lol....they jus gave this guy like 100 million dollars.

lol....they jus gave this guy like 100 million dollars.

yeah, I was not a fan of this signing, he was getting paid number 1 money for number three stuff...and he has injury issues, and he is old.....

ugh...they were determined to get this guy though.

because you have other player who can get those outs..there are three starters right now in the bullpen....

The Yankees won their World Series by shortening the game to 6 or 7 innings. Teams knew they couldn't score off of the relief.

First it was Mo and Wettland, then it was Stanton, Nelson, and Mo..

or if you want to use math...

Joba could pitch once every five days and maybe win his game (he only has 3 wins in 11 starts) or, he could pitch three to four times every five games and possibly hand the lead over to Mo...having a greater impact over the week.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Wang and Hughes haven't been good this season--particularly Wang--and you want to put BOTH of them in the rotation over the Yankees second best starter. That's rich.

FYI a good reliever NEVER has as much impact as a good starter. Just never. Because in most of the games that Wang or Hughes would be starting for Joba, he wouldn't even get a chance to come in and have an impact.

Archived