Yanks aquire Eric Hinskie from the Bucs

Matt39

:Typotux:

Yankees Acquire Eric Hinske

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 30 at 10:38am CST]

Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Yankees acquired Eric Hinske from the Pirates for two minor leaguers, Eric Freyer and Casey Erickson. ESPN.com's Amy Nelson says the Yankees are also sending the Pirates cash.

He can play both corners and also can play outfield but I still dont see why they need him. Ransom in AAA or Pena? or do they keep Hinske in AAA until they trade Matsui(If they do)

I don't get the trade either. I guess he's there to makeup for the loss of Nady. He can give Swisher a spell every once in a while.

I think they'll send Pena down. He's young and needs the playing experience. I'll miss him, he always makes plays when he's in the game.

I think the Yanks saw the need to add a lefty bat off the bench with some pop. He's only got one homer this year but has only gotten 106 ABs. As a part timer last season in Tampa he hit 20 HRs. For a lefty in the new stadium, he could see some more chances than what he's had so far this year and should be able to go deep a few times.

He cold also add some versatility. IIRC he came up as a 3B and has been playing 1B and the OF this year.

And of course...he could be a waste of a roster space.

We'll see.

Archived