New York Yankees vs. L.A. Angels of Anaheim @ Angels Stadium Series Thread

Otter

Tonight's Yankees lineup. Cody Ransom is at short, Jeter is DH, Molina is catching. Albaladejo(sp?) sent down, Melancon called up.

YANKEES (51-34)

Jeter DH

Damon LF

Teixeira 1B

Rodriguez 3B

Swisher RF

Cano 2B

Cabrera CF

Ransom SS

Molina C

Pitching: RHP Joba Chamberlain (4-2, 4.04).

ANGELS (46-37)

Figgins 3B

Izturis 2B

Abreu RF

Rivera LF

Morales 1B

Napoli DH

Matthews CF

Mathis C

Aybar SS

Pitching: LHP Joe Saunders (8-5, 4.44).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems Mr. 5 inning pitcher is at it again. Can't this guy have one good start?

Is that really the problem? He's being exposed by pitching so many innings? I don't watch enough Yankee games to comment but his lines in the box score have been terrible lately.

Is that really the problem? He's being exposed by pitching so many innings? I don't watch enough Yankee games to comment but his lines in the box score have been terrible lately.

I don't think it's a matter of being exposed. I think his stuff just loses something after about three innings and they tee off on it.

Joba's arm will never be the same after he got hurt last year in Texas.

He's damaged goods. My friends mother ran the MRI at Columbia Presbyterian last year on Joba and said he'll never get full strength back. Im starting to believe it.

Joba's arm will never be the same after he got hurt last year in Texas.

He's damaged goods. My friends mother ran the MRI at Columbia Presbyterian last year on Joba and said he'll never get full strength back. Im starting to believe it.

Even if that were true, he doesnt need the 97-98 mph fastball to dominate. He still sits at average on 93. This is not the problem.

The problem is he's effectively a 2 pitch pitcher (cause he chooses to be) that's in love with his 4 seam fastball+slider combo. His curve is inconsistent as all hell and when he sees that he doesn't have it he ditches it and sticks to those two.

I don't understand why he doesn't go to the changeup + 2 seamer more often to induce more groundouts. He's not happy unless he's striking out 20 guys a game. He doesn't have very good command of his fastball, on top of everything, so he's prone to lay some right over the plate. Doesn't help that his fastball is flat as all hell.

He's got 4 pitches (5 if you count that two seamer he threw in the first game against Boston). He belongs as a starter, but he's gotta change his approach and start listening to his catcher(s). You know why every windup took so long last night? It's cause Molina was cycling through his pitches to figure out with Joba wanted. If it was Posada Joba would have just shook off everything because you have 2 stubborn people trying to take control of the game.

So bottom line, Joba is a starter, end of story. He's got a plus curve and plus slider, and a decent changeup. His fastball is still hitting 94-95 consistently. He just needs to swallow his fat pride and realize that he can't work up his pitch count to 100 by the 4th inning trying to get swing and misses all the time.

Even if that were true, he doesnt need the 97-98 mph fastball to dominate. He still sits at average on 93. This is not the problem.

The problem is he's effectively a 2 pitch pitcher (cause he chooses to be) that's in love with his 4 seam fastball+slider combo. His curve is inconsistent as all hell and when he sees that he doesn't have it he ditches it and sticks to those two.

I don't understand why he doesn't go to the changeup + 2 seamer more often to induce more groundouts. He's not happy unless he's striking out 20 guys a game. He doesn't have very good command of his fastball, on top of everything, so he's prone to lay some right over the plate. Doesn't help that his fastball is flat as all hell.

He's got 4 pitches (5 if you count that two seamer he threw in the first game against Boston). He belongs as a starter, but he's gotta change his approach and start listening to his catcher(s). You know why every windup took so long last night? It's cause Molina was cycling through his pitches to figure out with Joba wanted. If it was Posada Joba would have just shook off everything because you have 2 stubborn people trying to take control of the game.

So bottom line, Joba is a starter, end of story. He's got a plus curve and plus slider, and a decent changeup. His fastball is still hitting 94-95 consistently. He just needs to swallow his fat pride and realize that he can't work up his pitch count to 100 by the 4th inning trying to get swing and misses all the time.

If Joba is choosing not to throw his other pitches, that tells me that he has no confidence in them. If he has no confidence then I don't want him throwing them either.

Joba has had one big moment as a starter and that was in Fenway last year. He has shown me nothing since. The guy doesn't have the makeup to be a starter. He works too slowly and throws way too many pitches. The guy can barely even pitch long enought into a game to get a decision. In 29 career starts he only has 10 decisions. That is the fewest decisions for a pitcher through 29 starts in MLB history.

The Yankees need to put him back in the bullpen where he excelled two years ago. I'm sure they stick with him in the rotation through the rest of this season, but come playoff time he'll be back in the pen where he belongs.

I just hope that this experiment hasn't ruined his arm.

Yeah, I honestly don't see Jered Weaver having a bad start. This guy is nothing like his brother, he's actually pretty damn good. I don't honestly see how they win this game today, and really the only one they can win is tomorrow's game this series. They win this game, I honestly will be shocked.

If Joba is choosing not to throw his other pitches, that tells me that he has no confidence in them. If he has no confidence then I don't want him throwing them either.

Joba has had one big moment as a starter and that was in Fenway last year. He has shown me nothing since. The guy doesn't have the makeup to be a starter. He works too slowly and throws way too many pitches. The guy can barely even pitch long enought into a game to get a decision. In 29 career starts he only has 10 decisions. That is the fewest decisions for a pitcher through 29 starts in MLB history.

The Yankees need to put him back in the bullpen where he excelled two years ago. I'm sure they stick with him in the rotation through the rest of this season, but come playoff time he'll be back in the pen where he belongs.

I just hope that this experiment hasn't ruined his arm.

I have said all along that he should be in the pen, so I agree with what you wrote.

Archived