Sunday 8/2 Camp Updates

SoFlaJets

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BRING BACK RATLIFF!

Maybe the Browns did have their choice of our QBs.

I thought that was what we had Henry Ellard for...we need a starter opposite Cotchery who ISN'T named Brad Smith...Harrison or Jones (who I watched on ESPN and looks like he has his head back on straight)

Back on straight? If Matt Jones has his head on straight it's for the first time.

A second rounder next year and a random scrub should do it.

You think we'll have to give up our 1st rounder?

It's not just the compensation it's the contract. If Edwards were happy with his contract he'd be staying with the Browns. He wants crazy money and he isn't exactly Mr. Reliable. People that want to pay Leon $6M are going to balk at the money Edwards is looking for.

Lady, you need to read this post from TNJet. The man's a Clemens fan, but he's on board with Sanchez if he's the man.

Maybe you should read the next post. The one where TN posted a winky face. I would guess that would mean his prior post was sarcastic, but that's just me.

I'm not concerned about the cap savings. I'm thinking about a player who can be in Mark's ear on the sidelines who really helps him. A guy who can step onto the field and play in a pinch, and not crumble like an aluminum can in a biker bar.

A Jeff Garcia would be looking mighty nice right now.

He'd be starting. I think he's sick of "mentoring". IMO if Sanchez is the guy, then he doesn't need Jeff Garcia muddying things up.

idk about making a good collegw coach.....his player development skills are zero.

He hasn't developed any young players? Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Leon. Thomas had his best season by far. They guy is stiff and hard headed, but he gets a bum rap around here.

I'm glad (again) that Ryan isn't banning Tweets from camp-like Mangini

Tweets? You think players should be texting on the sidelines? WTF? They all have their iPhones out there? I think it's demented.

Tweets? You think players should be texting on the sidelines? WTF? They all have their iPhones out there? I think it's demented.
You're not getting it.

Since everything about Ryan is the opposite of Mangini everything is better now.

You guys think the media wants Sanchez to win this competition a little?

Two-Minute Big Play? Kellen-to-Keller

Published: Sun, August 2, 2009 - 12:19pm ET

By Randy Lange

It was two-minute time. The rain was pouring down on Cortland Stadium. The score was tied, 10-10, Kellen Clemens was directing the first offense, and he was facing a third-and-long on his side of the 50.

What did offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer dial up? Kellen-to-Keller.

Practice in the 'Invisi-dome'

August 2, 2009

Rex Ryan loves the football facilities here at SUNY-Cortland, but the one thing it doesn't have is an indoor practice facility. It rained hard this morning for practice, so the Jets repaired to the "Invisi-dome," as Ryan called it.

In other words, they stayed put, practicing in the elements in the football stadium.

You'd think the rain would be an advantage for Kellen Clemens in the QB competition -- after all, he played his college ball in Oregon -- but rookie Mark (It Never Rains in Southern California) Sanchez throws a better wet ball.

Sanchez edged Clemens in Practice 4. And know this: For the first time in camp, Sanchez got a few reps with the starting offense.

"He'll be getting more reps with the 1s as we go on," Ryan said.

Ryan gushed about Sanchez' morning practice, saying he made some throws that most quarterbacks couldn't make. Sanchez went 6-for-10 in the 11-on-11 portion of practice, including a couple of short TD darts to WR David Clowney. He also hit WR Marcus Henry on a nice comeback route. It's still early, but it seems like that's one of Sanchez' favorite passes.

Actually, Sanchez' best moments came in a 6-on-8 drill in which he threw red-zone TD passes to TE Dustin Keller and WR Britt Davis. On the downside, Sanchez went three-and-out in a two-minute drill at the end of practice.

Clemens? He was 7-for-14, with an interception. The interception deserves an explanation, though. They were practicing a "must-have" situation -- an end-game scenario in which the quarterbacks were instructed to get rid of the ball and not take a sack -- and Clemens unloaded a ball directly into the chest of S Jim Leonhard. Clemens was under pressure from LB Bart Scott, who came free on an inside blitz.

Earlier, in the 6-on-8 drill, Clemens made a horrible pass to WR Brad Smith, a deep out that was picked off by CB Darrelle Revis. Maybe the wet ball was a factor, but Clemens' throw didn't have enough on it to make that play work.

In four practices, Clemens has four interceptions, reminiscent of his start last summer. So far, I'd call the QB battle a toss-up, neither player standing out.

Update on Kris Jenkins' calf injury: He "could be out a little longer than I thought," Ryan said.

In three years, I don't think I heard Eric Mangini ever utter those words. We appreciate Ryan's candor, although he didn't offer a timetable. My best guess is that he'll be sidelined for at least a week.

Still too early to panic.

Rookie RB Shonn Greene tweaked an ankle while blocking in a one-on-one pass-rushing drill. He didn't leave practice, though.

"He rolled an ankle as somebody rolled him," Ryan cracked.

Rookie LB Jamaal Westerman, the former Rutgers standout who caught everybody's attention in the OTAs, continues to make noise. He's playing a new position -- inside linebacker -- but he looks very fluid for a guy who played as a down lineman in college.

"I'll be shocked if he doesn't make a name for himself this year," Ryan said.

With Ryan singing his praises, Westerman has a chance to become a "name" player. As we're learning, Ryan likes to gush about his players and his team. He may have taken it a bit too far today when he compared LB Vernon Gholston to former Bears great Otis Wilson, a key member of the famed '85 Bears defense. Ryan didn't say Gholston is on that level yet, but he did say that Wilson -- like Gholston -- came on strong after a washout rookie year.

I can understand why Ryan continues to talk up Gholston, in whom the organization invested $20 million in guarantees, but to paraphrase Shakespeare, "He doth gush too much."

This just in from Jets PR director Bruce Speight: Tomorrow's morning practice will start at 8:50, not the usual 8:15.

RB Danny Woodhead (head) returned to practice.

Ryan on special teams coach Mike Westhoff: "He's confident. He's ****y. He invented the game ... He's like I am on defense. Maybe that's why we get along so well."

I don't understand whats going on. Some reports have Sanchez ahead of Clemens and others have the battle still tied/neither standing out.

So who should I believe?

IDK about anyone else but I tend to believe what I read from guys who are there reporting on every play that do NOT have some kind of agenda or are afraid of alienating players that they might have to be friendly with to make a living.

I don't understand whats going on. Some reports have Sanchez ahead of Clemens and others have the battle still tied/neither standing out.

So who should I believe?

Based upon the facts we are hearing, it sounds like Sanchez is easily winning. Those who are saying it is tied seem to struggle with the concept of objective reporting.

the clemens reports are not encouraging, but lets's give him a week before we start throwing dirt on him

I WANT him to be great Larz-I thought he'd be the starter next month, I'm shocked that he still isn't stepping up and that this is starting to look like Mark Sanchez' team already.

If Clemens is good it increases his trade value and make no mistake I want us to be able to recoup that 2nd round pick for him if at all possible.

IDK about anyone else but I tend to believe what I read from guys who are there reporting on every play that do NOT have some kind of agenda or are afraid of alienating players that they might have to be friendly with to make a living.

Point me in the direction of these individuals. I'm annoyed by the varying reports.

So who should I believe?

the clemens reports are not encouraging, but lets's give him a week before we start throwing dirt on him

+1

Every year it's the same. People want to decide who is ahead after one day. It's going to take until the 3rd preseason game before we have a real handle on it. I remember people deciding Clemens or Pennington should be cut/enshrined in the HOF on a daily basis the last couple of years.

Based upon the facts we are hearing, it sounds like Sanchez is easily winning. Those who are saying it is tied seem to struggle with the concept of objective reporting.

While I want both players to look great, but in the end for Sanchez to absolutely blow Clemens away in camp and be our guy right out of the gate, I tend to think the exact opposite of what you said is true. Consider that most of the people that are stating Sanchez is clearly beating out Clemens are Jets fans, not reporters. And as much as I love to read their insight, these are the same Jets fans who have been crapping on Clemens left and right for the past two years. I would hardly call that analysis objective. Especially considering most reports stated Clemens looked good yesterday, yet the first report in this thread stated the exact opposite. More often than not, the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the varying reports.

Either way, we're three days in and its way too early to start jumping to conclusions. This time last year Pennington was embarrassing Clemens with his safe play, by mid-camp Clemens was looking much improved based on reports and then one day, Chad is gone, Clemens is the backup and Favre is our starter. While that's not obviously going to happen this year, its a little early to be calling anything just yet. I guess my only point is of course its great to discuss it, but I think people are going overboard just a tiny bit considering how early on in the process it is.

While I want both players to look great, but in the end for Sanchez to absolutely blow Clemens away in camp and be our guy right out of the gate, I tend to think the exact opposite of what you said is true. Consider that most of the people that are stating Sanchez is clearly beating out Clemens are Jets fans, not reporters. And as much as I love to read their insight, these are the same Jets fans who have been crapping on Clemens left and right for the past two years. I would hardly call that analysis objective. Especially considering most reports stated Clemens looked good yesterday, yet the first report in this thread stated the exact opposite. More often than not, the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the varying reports.

Either way, we're three days in and its way too early to start jumping to conclusions. This time last year Pennington was embarrassing Clemens with his safe play, by mid-camp Clemens was looking much improved based on reports and then one day, Chad is gone, Clemens is the backup and Favre is our starter. While that's not obviously going to happen this year, its a little early to be calling anything just yet. I guess my only point is of course its great to discuss it, but I think people are going overboard just a tiny bit considering how early on in the process it is.

No doubt that when fans do camp reports, they can not help but be somewhat biased by their own leanings, myself included. But the facts reported from this morning's camp in particular, Sanchez throwing multiple TDs and Clemens throwing multiple picks, it is a little hard to believe any other conclusion than Sanchez had the better of it today.

I do agree with you that drawing any permanent conclusions at this point is ridiculous.

+ 1,000,000

It's very obvious that both fans and media want Sanchez to win the competition and are trying as hard as possible to give him the job already...but I want it to play out and hopefully Clemens realizes his career is pretty much on the line.

So who should I believe?

All the reports that I've read by non-fans so far have them in a dead heat. A dead heat of crappiness.

Jets Training Camp: Practice #6 Notes

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 2 - 2009

This morning was about Mark Sanchez clearly outplaying Kellen Clemens while also getting reps with the first offense. The defense, is still dominating. Tonight

Clemens fighting INT bug

By MARK CANNIZZARO

CORTLAND _ Kellen Clemens, while continuing to look sharp some of the time, threw another interception in today's afternoon session. He was picked off early in the practice by CB Lito Sheppard. It was the fifth INT Clemens has thrown in five pracices this camp so far, which is too many.

Clemens, who was 7-of-14 in 11-on-11 drills in the morning with an INT, finished the afternoon session 6-of-11 with a nice TD to WR Chansi Stuckey down the right sideline beating CB Dwight Lowery (more on him in a moment) and the INT.

Rookie Mark Sanchez had a nice run going in the afternoon, but stalled in the red zone. He completed his first five passes on one drive before going 1-of-6 to close the drive, which stalled inside the 10. He finished 7-for-14 in the afternoon after going 6-of-9 in the morning. Sanchez took some 11-on-11 snaps with the starters in the morning but worked exclusively with the backups in the afternoon.

Lowery, after being beaten by Stuckey on the .Clemens TD toss, came back with a vengeance, stripping WR David Clowney of the ball on one play and breaking up a deep Sanchez pass to Huey Whittaker on another.

Though he's slotted behind Sheppard on the depth chart, Lowery is having a very good camp.

END

Clemens fighting INT bug

By MARK CANNIZZARO

CORTLAND _ Lowery, after being beaten by Stuckey on the .Clemens TD toss, came back with a vengeance, stripping WR David Clowney of the ball on one play and breaking up a deep Sanchez pass to Huey Whittaker on another.

Though he's slotted behind Sheppard on the depth chart, Lowery is having a very good camp.

END

Lowery strips a ton of balls. He did it plenty last year. Some of that is because he gives up so many damn completions, but a turnover is a turnover. I wonder if Rex will be super appreciative of it.

Lowery strips a ton of balls. He did it plenty last year. Some of that is because he gives up so many damn completions, but a turnover is a turnover. I wonder if Rex will be super appreciative of it.

Schefter on Twitter just had this:

Adam_SchefterJets CB Dwight Lowery will challenge Lito Sheppard for starting job. Even if he doesn't win, Lowery will play plenty.9 minutes ago from

I like Lowery, but it takes him like three strides to build up speed. That's death for a corner, especially in the slot.

Jets Training Camp: Practice #6 Notes

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 2 - 2009

This morning was about Mark Sanchez clearly outplaying Kellen Clemens while also getting reps with the first offense. The defense, is still dominating. Tonight

HolyJoeNamath is nothing more than fans like you or me, he just takes the time to write on his website.

Until today, Clemens has had the better numbers, minus the interceptions. Sanchez's cadence, reportedly, isn't there yet.

That all being said, its Day 3.

HolyJoeNamath is nothing more than fans like you or me, he just takes the time to write on his website.

Until today, Clemens has had the better numbers, minus the interceptions. Sanchez's cadence, reportedly, isn't there yet.

That all being said, its Day 3.

Word.

I'm terribly discouraged about the WRs we have, and its being shown how poor our corps are. Either we need to acquire a guy via trade, or just sign somebody off the street. Matt Jones isn't the answer, and as much as I like Harrison I don't think he has the durability to play a full season. Here's a few FAs remaining, http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2009

Marty Booker, D.J. Hackett, Darrell Jackson, Joe Jurevicius, Ashley Lelie, Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams should all get looks just so we have something after Cotchery.

I'm terribly discouraged about the WRs we have, and its being shown how poor our corps are. Either we need to acquire a guy via trade, or just sign somebody off the street. Matt Jones isn't the answer, and as much as I like Harrison I don't think he has the durability to play a full season. Here's a few FAs remaining, http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2009

Marty Booker, D.J. Hackett, Darrell Jackson, Joe Jurevicius, Ashley Lelie, Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams should all get looks just so we have something after Cotchery.

Ewwww! You don't think Matt Jones is the answer and you propose two stiffs that were behind him on the depth chart? Reggie Williams is at least as much a coke head (he's on probation) as Jones and puts up worse numbers in the same O and Porter is shot and coming off achilles surgery. Joe J. is the only one that had a decent last season, but that was in 2007, he's been out with a staph infection and is probably suing the Browns over it. He's probably done. I don't think any of those guys broke 20 catches last year. If that's what's out there Brad Smith looks a little better.

Archived