who are the top candidates?

Halladay?

King Felix?

Jackson?

Verlander

Beckett?

C.C.??

Nathan?

I say Mariano should get his CYA the same way Kobe somehow won the "Career achievement 2007-2008 NBA MVP" award over Lebron/Cp3.

nobody else is having a breakout dominant season (a la Cliff Lee 2008) so why not give it to Mo? he should've won it over fat **** Bartolo Colon a few years ago anyways...

Because it was given to a reliever, does not mean it was deserved

While this is certainly not a "bad" arguement, I think a guy who pitches in the 9th inning of 50 close games and shuts down his competition 90% of the time can be just as important. The mediocre reliever could blow alot of wins.

He is an enthusiastic Red Sock or Mets fan.. I can never tell but there is nothing wrong with that.

who tries to compare having Cody Ransom as a backup to Alex Gonzalez being a starting shortstop

there IS something wrong with that. complete loon.

Best player in baseball the last 15 years. If you think I'm wrong your an *******.

Well, color me an *******.

He's a CLOSER. Meaning, he pitches one inning (or a little more) in a game about 60 times a year.

Guys like Bonds, Pujols, and ARod have had a lot bigger impact over the last 15 years.

I wouldn't even consider Rivera to be the best PITCHER in baseball over the last 15 years. He simply doesn't pitch enough to have the same impact as a starter or position player...or even a DH.

Yes, he's the best closer of all-time. That's like being the best special teams player of all-time. If Steve Tasker looked like a fruitbat and played baseball, he'd be Mariano Rivera.

He's a CLOSER. Meaning, he pitches one inning (or a little more) in a game about 60 times a year.

Guys like Bonds, Pujols, and ARod have had a lot bigger impact over the last 15 years.

I wouldn't even consider Rivera to be the best PITCHER in baseball over the last 15 years. He simply doesn't pitch enough to have the same impact as a starter or position player...or even a DH.

Yes, he's the best closer of all-time. That's like being the best special teams player of all-time. If Steve Tasker looked like a fruitbat and played baseball, he'd be Mariano Rivera.

I think a closer is a bit more important than a special teams player, but I agree with you in principle. No matter how good Mariano is, he never has the impact that a good starter or good position player has.

I get your point but that is a poor analogy.

Archived