AL Cy Young race

PFSIKH

Far more compelling then the Division and Wildcard races.

Contenders:

Zack Grienke 15-8, 2.08 ERA, 229Ks and 47 BBs

5th in Wins, 2ns in Ks, 1st in WHIP, 2nd in CG, 4th in IP, 1st in ERA and 9th in Win%

CC Sabbathia 18-7, 3.31 ERA, 186Ks and 60 BBs

1st in Wins, 7th in Ks, 2nd in WHIP, 8th in CG, 2nd in IP, 6th in ERA and 3rd in Win%

Felix Hernandez 16-5, 2.45 ERA, 196Ks and 64 BBs

3rd in Wins, 4th in Ks, 3rd in WHIP, 8th in CG, 4th in IP, 2nd in ERA and 2nd in Win%

Longshots:

Scott Feldman 17-5 3.62 ERA, 104Ks and 56 BBs

2nd in Wins, 9th in WHIP, 10th in ERA and 1st in Win%

Justin Verlander 16-9 3.44 ERA, 245Ks and 59 BBs

3rd in Wins, 1st in Ks, 7th in WHIP, 5th in CG, 3rd in IP, 8th in ERA and 12th in Win%

Josh Beckett 15-6 3.80 ERA, 187Ks and 51 BBs

5th in Wins, 6th in Ks, 4th in WHIP, 3rd in CG, 9th in IP, 4th in Win%

Jon Lester 14-7, 3.33 ERA 215Ks and 60BBs

9th in Wins, 3rd in Ks, 10th in WHIP, 8th in CG, 11th in IP, 7th in ERA and 6th in Win%

Feldman plays in relative obscurity and some pedestrian stats kills his chances. Beckett (last month), Lester (first month) and Verlander (last few starts) had struggles that knocked their otherwise brilliant season #s down.

It should be Greinke. He is top 5 in all meaningful pitching categories. His one outside the Top 5 is winning %. He is 9th with a .652 percentage on a team thats wins at barely 40%. He has 9 starts where he has pitched at least 6 innings and gave up less then 3 earned runs. In those 9 starts, he has 5 no-decisions and 4 losses. If he was on a .500 team he would likely have 20+ wins.

I don't know if anyone else has a problem with this, because it's not made a big deal like the MVP is. But the thing that bothers me about Greinke is that he's pitched in, oh, ZERO meaningful games this season. I mean, doesn't the fact that Hernandez, CC, and Lester pitched in races for some/most of the year mean something, anything?

I don't know if anyone else has a problem with this, because it's not made a big deal like the MVP is. But the thing that bothers me about Greinke is that he's pitched in, oh, ZERO meaningful games this season. I mean, doesn't the fact that Hernandez, CC, and Lester pitched in races for some/most of the year mean something, anything?

I agree with your point i theory, but Greinke is it when he pitches. He has no room for error.

The Cy Young award is NOT the same as the MVP award. It goes to the best pitcher, period. Greinke was it this year. You can't blame him for pitching for a bad team.

Greinke will win by a landslide. He deserves it.

As does Lincecum.

He should win it, but as PTI showed during their show. Sometimes writers get lost in big market stars. Greinke will lose votes because some in the media want to liken the Cy to the MVP when as 80 pointed out it is not.

There's shouldn't even be a race. It's Greinke by a landslide IMO.

ETA: Wins is the most meaningless statistic in gauging a pitcher's performance.

How dare you, are you insinuating that Tim Wakefield didn't deserve his all star appearance? Heathen.

If anyone other than Greinke wins I'll go ape****.

How dare you, are you insinuating that Tim Wakefield didn't deserve his all star appearance? Heathen.

If anyone other than Greinke wins I'll go ape****.

He is hardly the first or last player to get an undeserving All Star bid.

if it was closer....then yeah maybe. but greinke is so far ahead of the rest and it's just not close.

When are they going to recognize his all-time greatness? There has never been a better closer in MLB history. Without him even with their rock solid order, the Yankees are probably a wild card team at best. This is not close to his best season, but a WHIP under 1 and over 1K per inning.

http://yesnetwork.stats.com/mlb/playerstats.asp?id=5400

True.

A Cy Young equivalent for relievers is long past due. A Sparky Lyle award for the best closer makes too much sense.

Archived