The Loss of Leon Washington Is Being Greatly Exagerated

Darth Vader

Some in the media are calling yesterday's "win" a jarring setback. LW was an explosive player but the CS had a hard time integrating his style into the offense. The CS was afraid he couldn't endure the workload of a starting every down back and limited his carries; as result, they had a hard go of getting LW 20 "crafty" touches a game. LW has been a more consistent RB than TJ in terms of running to his ypc, but LW hasn't had the explosive long gainers for TDs, neither on the ground, nor via the screen pass he has been adept at converting. Leon has had ZERO offensive TDs this year.

He was also a player whose impact was felt on ST. I don't know why he hasn't returned punts, but since the rule change on kick offs, LW has done nothing. This fact reduced his value greatly, as he was previously a pro-bowl KR. He has Zero TDs on KO. The drop off is real and tangible.

Now yes he's an explosive, shifty player, with great short area quickness. And yes it is a big human interest story with the contract and his life story.

However, LW's loss wasn't felt on Sunday and it may not be felt going forward.

In large part, this is bc of great and timely drafting. Greene had just been waiting in the wings for his shot. When he got It he showed precisely why the run game will not only show no drop off, but will actually become more focused and complimentary.

As compliments to the stutter-and-shuffle-in-the-hole TJ, which can be effective with a tired or overcommitted defense, both LW and SG are more "burst into the hole" types. But SG is going to really wear down defenses with his smashmouth and ornery style whereas LW was never really capable of that. Nor really was TJ capable of wearing down a defense. TJ is tough, but he isn't the tough-yards short-yardage back he has been miscast as, probably bc he has huge arms and is ripped. SG is a real straight thru the hole short yardage back that we have lacked. This IMO will really compliment TJs stutter, shuffle and burst. It will wear a D down making TJs style more effective whereas before he was miscast in that role, and we were without a real third down back. As we saw, SG is not just a 3rd down back. He's quick, agile and capable of breaking tackles. He will keep defenses honest like no other player on O besides what Braylon does to the periphery. He will bruise, batter, and run thru arm tackles. Importantly, he is quick enough to the corner, so the toss sweep will not be deleted from the playbook, altho I never want to see TJ run laterally again.

One thing the CS has tried is to get the ball to LW on the screen, which has limited TJ in the passing game. But TJ once caught 50+ balls in Chicago and has caught 30+ many times. While SG has terrible hands, TJ can catch the ball for reliable gains.

While the loss of LW is tragic, tactically the FO has this team in a position not to lose a beat. Moreover, SG will bring a dimension of power to the running game that has been visably absent for at least 25 games, and because SG is more than just a lumbering powerback, our offense will be able to CONTROL defenses, wear them down like never before, while only lessening the explosive element a little.

"Smash and Dash" never worked bc there was never any smash to Leon's dash. Now we will finally see a coherent offensive philosophy organized around the running game, which finally has the personnel to execute a coherent strategy, which bc of new personnel we saw become "Ground and Pound".

We won't miss a beat in the running game, and a big test will come on Sunday. I knew the last time that Miami would contain bc our running game was incoherent, the stats skewed by a few long runs. While Miami still has an edge, I'm not so unsure of our running game.

Ryan wants a run heavy offense. IMO SG helps to attain that by adding a new dimension to the offense, something LW could not add, and neither frankly could TJ. IMO Greene solidifies the entire identity of the offense around what Rex wants, and by extension, completes the identity of the entire team: tough, stingy defense and an ornery run heavy O. Both together will keep the defense fresher by the offense pounding opposing defenses. With opposing Ds softened, watch what it does for Sanchez. It will make him more patient, reduce passing turnovers, and most important, it will unlock the playaction.

It's not so much that Greene replaces LW with better stuff, altho it could be argued, it is more that SG adds a new dimension, that will be just as powerful when LW and him are truly able to operate a "Smash and Dash" attack in 2010.

As for KR, his lack of game breaking runs makes it easier to see Dwight Lowery or Brad Smith back there.

Thats a good post and there is a lot of truth to this.

We havent benefited from Leon's game breaking ability this year. Partially do to a inept OC, and partly because, he hast played all that well.

His KR's have been less then spectacular and we dont use him in punts. Since we never adequately got him the ball on offense, its almost like this really doesnt affect our offensive philosophy.

The only thing that hurts is with Leon, you just never know when he's do to break a big one. That's why its important to get him so many touches, but when its all said and done, I dont think the loss hurts the team too bad.

The only place that this might hurt is that Leon is used on all 3rd down passing situation and a change of personnel for Sanchez on that down might be different for him, but that shouldnt be too much of a factor.

I'm one of Leon's biggest fans but point of the matter is Shonn Greene did more in one game then Leon has all year to this point. I'm not discrediting Leon at all here but I think people are blowing this out of proportion. Shonn Greene has fresh legs, he's got an opportunity, T.J won't likely be here next year. Next year we'll have Leon and Shonn, the real thunder to Leons lightening.

Our team might even be more productive with Greene in. There is no fancy shmancy when TJ and Shonn are in, for the most part it's north and south ground and pound. Which is almost always better.

Shonn Greene will be a beast and compliment Leon and T.J just fine. Shonn Greene is a load!!

We'll be fine.

its true! Leon does not fit well in this offensse. There wont be much of a drop off if any at all with our production. As a matter of fact our running game might be better. Pick up Jusitn Miller and use hime just for Kick Returns since that is the only thing he can do anyway. Or better yet give him a shot at a back up safety spot as well, after all he can run and hit and he is probably better than that inhdiegbo. thoughts?

Thats a good post and there is a lot of truth to this.

We havent benefited from Leon's game breaking ability this year. Partially do to a inept OC, and partly because, he hast played all that well.

His KR's have been less then spectacular and we dont use him in punts. Since we never adequately got him the ball on offense, its almost like this really doesnt affect our offensive philosophy.

The only thing that hurts is with Leon, you just never know when he's do to break a big one. That's why its important to get him so many touches, but when its all said and done, I dont think the loss hurts the team too bad.

The only place that this might hurt is that Leon is used on all 3rd down passing situation and a change of personnel for Sanchez on that down might be different for him, but that shouldnt be too much of a factor.

It's true. Leon hasn't broken anything from scrimmage or on runbacks this year. I feel terrible for him though. I honestly thought the Jets were stringing him along in pre-season about his contract because they did not want to sign him and then have him go down before the season with an injury. I thought he would get his contract early in the regular season. Now I am thinking that the delay is the fault of his idiot agent and that is too bad. I also dislike Schittenheimer's playcalling. Does he ALWAYS run on second and long? But you have to admit that Leon has made some huge plays with Schitty as his OC. I just have a natural aversion to all Schittenheimers.

I'm one of Leon's biggest fans but point of the matter is Shonn Greene did more in one game then Leon has all year to this point. I'm not discrediting Leon at all here but I think people are blowing this out of proportion. Shonn Greene has fresh legs, he's got an opportunity, T.J won't likely be here next year. Next year we'll have Leon and Shonn, the real thunder to Leons lightening.

Our team might even be more productive with Greene in. There is no fancy shmancy when TJ and Shonn are in, for the most part it's north and south ground and pound. Which is almost always better.

Shonn Greene will be a beast and compliment Leon and T.J just fine. Shonn Greene is a load!!

We'll be fine.

Leon had 1 carry for 6 yards...this is a huge loss

until SG does it against the varsity...

Yep.. Leon was playing crappy...

his avg on rushes was 4.6 yd per carry.. his avg on receptions 8.7 yd.

yes i realize that this is down from his 4.8 avg last year..

really guys.. he still was a high production RB given that he doesnt call the plays and has to do what is dealt him.

i totally agree with AFO.. lets see what the rookie can do against the big boys..

hell i could run for a buck fifty against the raiders. :lol:

We will miss Leon.

We will miss Leon in the passing game and we will miss Leon on Special Teams.

We will also miss Leon in the running game. I am one of Shonn Greene's biggest fans, but it is Oakland. Lets see him run like that against Miami.

We are going to miss him. However, we can win without him because this DEFENSE will decide whether we win or lose games.

Yep.. Leon was playing crappy...

his avg on rushes was 4.6 yd per carry.. his avg on receptions 8.7 yd.

yes i realize that this is down from his 4.8 avg last year..

really guys.. he still was a high production RB given that he doesnt call the plays and has to do what is dealt him.

i totally agree with AFO.. lets see what the rookie can do against the big boys..

hell i could run for a buck fifty against the raiders. :lol:

But thats our point gg, he wasnt used affectively so how much does it really hurt the offense? His KR's were nothting like they've been in the past. And varsity or not, SG out played Leon 10 folds yesterday than anything we've seen from Leon this season.

Leon is my favorite player on offense and this is killing me, but I dont see our offense suffering that much from his loss. It hurts, no doubt, because we dont have the game breaker, but if we are trading for what we saw from SG yesterday, this isnt going to set us back too much.

I agree though, he needs to do it against a good D.

But thats our point gg, he wasnt used affectively so how much does it really hurt the offense? His KR's were nothting like they've been in the past. And varsity or not, SG out played Leon 10 folds yesterday than anything we've seen from Leon this season.

Leon is my favorite player on offense and this is killing me, but I dont see our offense suffering that much from his loss. It hurts, no doubt, because we dont have the game breaker, but if we are trading for what we saw from SG yesterday, this isnt going to set us back too much.

I agree though, he needs to do it against a good D.

who is returning kickoffs for us?

again.. no offense to SG.. but until we see him run against a team that has a run defense.. i am not convinced he is the second coming...

imagine if leon wasnt hurt for yesterdays game.. he might have run for 200.. you dont know.. i just am not ready to crown SG quite yet...

again.. no offense to SG.. but until we see him run against a team that has a run defense.. i am not convinced he is the second coming...

imagine if leon wasnt hurt for yesterdays game.. he might have run for 200.. you dont know.. i just am not ready to crown SG quite yet...

You're right but I think it's natural to be excited about him.

With RB's you can normally tell pretty quickly whether they have it or not. Not crowning Greene but I LOVE what I saw from him.

Also, I think the original point in this thread isn't that Leon wasn't an incredible talent. Oh man we all know how great he was with the ball, just electrifying.The point that GB is making was that he wasn't being used to his full potential in this offense anyways because of our idiot offensive co-ordinator.

Nobody is ready to crown SG, but he clearly played better than Leon has all year. Like IJ said, it pretty easy to tell when a RB has "it", SG looks like he has in every opportunity thus far.

KR's will probably go to Ahmad Carrol, Dwight Lowery or Brad Smith. Or maybe we get someone available. Leon's KR's this year havent been great to begin with, so I'm not too concerned there.

We will miss Leon, I just dont think its the end all be all of our offense. Besides, our D is winning us games, not our O.

Nobody is ready to crown SG, but he clearly played better than Leon has all year. Like IJ said, it pretty easy to tell when a RB has "it", SG looks like he has in every opportunity thus far.

KR's will probably go to Ahmad Carrol, Dwight Lowery or Brad Smith. Or maybe we get someone available. Leon's KR's this year havent been great to begin with, so I'm not too concerned there.

We will miss Leon, I just dont think its the end all be all of our offense. Besides, our D is winning us games, not our O.

i just want to see him run against a team that doesnt have the 31st worse run defense :D

This would be worth the price of admission.

And I would never Boo you.

;) i have talent! lol

if you listen to Rex's press conf today.. you will hear what he thinks of Leon.. special player.. cant replace him with one guy.. etc..

just sayin.

and yes.. i listened and heard that he likes shonn.. and i am not trying to diminish.. but i just dont think he is a replacement for Leon

;) i have talent! lol

if you listen to Rex's press conf today.. you will hear what he thinks of Leon.. special player.. cant replace him with one guy.. etc..

just sayin.

and yes.. i listened and heard that he likes shonn.. and i am not trying to diminish.. but i just dont think he is a replacement for Leon

Greene's not a replacement to Leon, I don't think anyone's saying that he is. There isn't a player in this team capable of being a direct replacment to Leon because no one can do what he does.

He's going to be missed but not to the extent he would in another offense. Schotty didn't utilize him to get the best out of his talents anyways and that's reflected by Leon's lack of big plays this season.

He's a special player and even if Green is too he still won't bring what Leon does. I'm just hoping that Schotty can do for Greene what he could never do with Washington and that's use him in the right way and get the best out of his ability.

Greene's not a replacement to Leon, I don't think anyone's saying that he is. There isn't a player in this team capable of being a direct replacment to Leon because no one can do what he does.

He's going to be missed but not to the extent he would in another offense. Schotty didn't utilize him to get the best out of his talents anyways and that's reflected by Leon's lack of big plays this season.

He's a special player and even if Green is too he still won't bring what Leon does. I'm just hoping that Schotty can do for Greene what he could never do with Washington and that's use him in the right way and get the best out of his ability.

Someone else mentioned earlier that Schotty would have been best served running a true RBBC with three RBs getting proportional carries and i agree with that. Leon should have been used more effectively for sure, in the passing game with screens and circle routes etc.

What you say is exactly what I meant in my post. Thing is -- this isn't about Greene vs. Leon. Not at all.

It is about having a complimentary running game. It shouldn't have taken a season ending injury to get Greene in there on power-downs. In fact, had we cycled our stable of backs, using Greene more, and using Leon and TJ more effectively, we would likely have avoided this type of injury.

My larger point is that Greene adds a power dimension to the offense that our offense has lacked since....Barlow?....Jordan?...Baxter?...but anyway, Greene compliments the entire offense, hand he compliments both running backs. As a RB in and of himself, he has some of LW's qualities of explosion that will fill in nicely, yet not perfectly.

IMO, the CS basically fatally misjudged our personnel. LW was NOT a full-time back that should be running dives into the pile (even if he found success there.) LW should have been conserved more and used more efficiently. And TJ is NOT a power back; he is tough, but not a tough-yards runner. He is also not a player that can run the stretch or the sweep. Greene should have taken responsibilities from both Washington and TJ, and we'd have had a more balanced rushing attack to begin with without having to get our star HB's leg cracked to find that out.

That is the real tragedy here. The CS, as much as I like what they're doing, should be criticized MASSIVELY for misjudging our personnel.

The media, searching for a SOJ storyline, the tragedy to report from the wreckage of LW's season, have focused on the wrong thing, LW's injury beig a huge blow to the Jets tactically. Not so, Greene will fill in fine, and probably be better for the offense as a whole anyway.

Rather, the media, who should also be scrutinized for their choice of angle, should have seen what Greene had done after the injury, and scratched their heads, and asked why, why, why?

A stable of RBBC with Jones, Greene, and Washington this year would have been key down the stretch.

Archived