Rajon Rondo vs Chris Johnson in a root race???

Blackout

130788.jpg

My first reaction when I heard that Rajon Rondo had challenged Titans running back Chris Johnson to a foot race: Huh? Rondo is among the speediest players in the league; Johnson plays football.

Details, from the Nashville City Paper:

[Chris] Johnson also says he is ready to undertake the challenge brought forth to him by Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo, who said believes he can beat the Titans star in a footrace. Word of that was relayed to him by a friend, Marquis Daniels, who is Rondo

Let's do a little estimating here: A standard court is 94 feet end-to-end; three-quarters of that is 70.5 feet. There are 3 feet in a yard, meaning that the 3/4 court sprint is, in effect, a 23.5 yard dash. Let's presume that the distances are short enough, and the process of adjustment for added time complicated enough, that we can convert a NBA combine time into an NFL time by multiplying it by 1.702.

You can't convert times this way. People are running slower early on, so multiplying the time to account for greater distance gives an innacurately low figure.

The writer said hoop players don't have a chance against football players. Let me bring up the example of Kenny Lofton, who for many years was considered the fastest player in pro baseball. His favorite sport was hoop and he played it at the college level. In college hoop he was never good enough to start and his speed was never a big deal, no one paid any attention to him. Then he switches to baseball and suddenly he's the fastest man in the sport. I know the main reason he sucked at hoop was lack of height but I do think this shows that top hoop players have all around athleticism. Truth is, I never heard of someone who was good enough to play basketball and chose to play some other sport instead.

• 5 months later...
I don't find it inconceivable that a fast NBA player could be faster than a fast NFL player at all. The NFL keeps building up the stats of their players to make them seem like supermen.

the best athletes in sports are Lebron James (hands down), Kobe Bryant, Matt Kemp, Hanley Ramirez and Darelle Revis

only 1 football player in there ;)

Archived