***OFFICIAL Jets vs Colts Game Thread***

Jetsfan80

Where the hell did he say the problem is the defense? NO ONE [i think] in their right mind thinks that the defense is a problem. It's just their tendency to blow games that we are leading.

ok then..

this defense is very good though. I have a hard time believing an entire defensive unit can be labled as "unclutch"

If anything, it's just the regular old curse of the Jets at work here. We are masters at grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
INJURY REPORT (Colts)

Garcon: OUT

Session: OUT

Mathis: Questionable

We SHOULD be able to run on them. I would imagine Freeney and Mathis will only be in on crucial downs, kinda like they did against Jacksonville. Session and Garcon being out is good.

You know how good teams win games?

They run the clock out on the offensive side of the ball. Good teams don't rely on their defense, no matter how good it is to make stop after stop after stop. If this team could kill the clock, or god forbid, score late in a game when it has a lead, our defense wouldn't constantly be put in a position to have to save the day.

I watched all these games and I agree with Yellin here...Again, I put Schottenheimer at the top of the "to blame" list.

They run the clock out on the offensive side of the ball. Good teams don't rely on their defense, no matter how good it is to make stop after stop after stop. If this team could kill the clock, or god forbid, score late in a game when it has a lead, our defense wouldn't constantly be put in a position to have to save the day.

best defense is a good offense'd

ok then..

this defense is very good though. I have a hard time believing an entire defensive unit can be labled as "unclutch"

If anything, it's just the regular old curse of the Jets at work here. We are masters at grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

Call it what you want, but the defense is not great. Very good, but not great. All we can hope is that we ride our very good defense to 9-7 and the playoffs.

I agree. The offense is the problem here.

Call it what you want, but the defense is not great. Very good, but not great. All we can hope is that we ride our very good defense to 9-7 and the playoffs.

The defense is good enough, that with an average offense, we'd be legitimate contenders.

I don't know how you can ask for much more than that out of one of your units. Think about it, if we didn't SUCK on offense, we'd be a very good team.

The defense is good enough, that with an average offense, we'd be legitimate contenders.

I don't know how you can ask for much more than that out of one of your units. Think about it, if we didn't SUCK on offense, we'd be a very good team.

We'd have the division just about clinched.

I completely agree with you, EY.

The defense is very great, this season.

What they aren't is an alltime great defense. Which is what you need to be a SB contender when you can't pass the ball..

See sig. It's not just Shott IMO. I'd happily replace him, but on the field, we have a real problem at the QB position.

there's two things we can only hope for going into the New Year Eric;

1-that they fire Schottenheimer and that...

2-we get to see that it really WAS his fault and that Sanchez DOESN'T really suck or we're in big trouble going forward and that Rex Ryan isn't going to be long on this job.

2-we get to see that it really WAS his fault and that Sanchez DOESN'T really suck or we're in big trouble going forward and that Rex Ryan isn't going to be long on this job.

There's 0 chance that it's ALL Shotty.

What we need to hope is that we fire shotty and get an OC that knows how to better utilize the talents and weaknesses of a young QB, but perhaps more importantly, that Sanchez makes great strides this offseason, as he hasn't really done so during the season.

I agree. The offense is the problem here.

AND the Special Teams.

AND the Defense for not closing out games.

All 3 units are responsible.

We miss Leon Washington on Offense AND Special Teams. He is by far a bigger loss to this team than Kris Jenkins was. Sione Pouha has played very well in replacing Big Jenk. We still haven't replaced Leon, and we won't. I think by him being out for 10 games this season that he has proved his worth to this organization.

There's 0 chance that it's ALL Shotty.

What we need to hope is that we fire shotty and get an OC that knows how to better utilize the talents and weaknesses of a young QB, but perhaps more importantly, that Sanchez makes great strides this offseason, as he hasn't really done so during the season.

I guess it's me HOPING it's Schottenheimer EY, b/c if it isn't....groan.....

I'm not sure if you could pin the failings of Sanchez on Rex Ryan and fire him if he busts. He's a defensive coach, and I'm not sure how much Ryan wanted to draft him, do you?

I'm not sure if you could pin the failings of Sanchez on Rex Ryan and fire him if he busts. He's a defensive coach, and I'm not sure how much Ryan wanted to draft him, do you?

Ryan knew he needed a Quarterback and he gave up 4 players to get Sanchez. He wanted him. He likes him. He's his guy. You cannot win in this league without good Quarterback play.

No disagreement here, EY.

But I am not going to sit here and suck off the Defense when they have in fact lost three games in the final five minutes. You cannot simply poo poo it and ignore it. The defense is good, it isn't great. It will be great when they stop blowing those late leads.

We miss Leon Washington A LOT, on both Offense and Special Teams. Getting him back next year will be huge to the return unit, as well as Sanchez. Mark doesn't really have anyone to check down to, other than an inexperienced Woodhead. Leon makes plays, plain and simple, and we desperately need him back.

And of course, the play calling isn't anything special, either.

Joe is right 8-0. Ryan tied his tenure here around Sanchez' neck-so as Mark goes, so does Ryan. If Sanchez busts Rex will pay the price with his job b/c you KNOW Tannenbaum will never get fired and will always be looking for the next scapegoat

But I am not going to sit here and suck off the Defense when they have in fact lost three games in the final five minutes. You cannot simply poo poo it and ignore it. The defense is good, it isn't great. It will be great when they stop blowing those late leads.

We miss Leon Washington A LOT, on both Offense and Special Teams. Getting him back next year will be huge to the return unit, as well as Sanchez. Mark doesn't really have anyone to check down to, other than an inexperienced Woodhead. Leon makes plays, plain and simple, and we desperately need him back.

I'm not asking for any fellating of the defense, I just think to condemn them this season is misguided as they're the only reason that in week 16 (while playoffs are still a longshot) we are actually playing a meaningful game.

I just think this very defense would look a hell of a lot better if this team was capable of playing defense on offense, that is running the clock out or putting a late score on the board to close things out. As CTM said, the best D is a good O. You can call it 'letting the d off the hook', but I call it objectively looking at how teams win games. For us to win, we ALWAYS need a last minute stop. Good teams don't always put themselves in that position.

ST has been a mess, and a surprise, and if not for gaffs, in spite of the offense, we'd have 2 more wins in vs MIA and ATL. You hate to see that.

As for checkdowns, I put it on Mark because I'd rather check down to Joe Schmo than go deep to Edwards in triple coverage, which he currently has a tendency to do. With CP, we always checked down when we should have taken shots. Now we never check down and take ill advised shots.

hopefully we'll have an OC that will utilize him-Schottenheimer NEVER learned how to do that-he should be being used like Meggett was, like Faulk is up in NE. No screens-hardly any sweeps...

So, is today the official end of the Jets season?

The only way the Jets are not eliminated if they lose today is if Miami, Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Denver all lose.

We could also be eliminated with just a loss and a Dolphins win .... OR... a loss and wins by Baltimore and Denver.

If we win, we're alive Week 17 no matter what.

AND if these 4 things happen, we are in a "win and we're in" scenario against the Bengals:

-Jets win

-Jaguars loss

-Dolphins loss

-Ravens OR Broncos loss

The only way the Jets are not eliminated if they lose today is if Miami, Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Denver all lose.

We could also be eliminated with just a loss and a Dolphins win .... OR... a loss and wins by Baltimore and Denver.

If we win, we're alive Week 17 no matter what.

well hey, at least the season lasted this long-who'd of thunk it last summer? One more week would be great...

Injury Report

New York

Probable: WR Braylon Edwards, DE Shaun Ellis, CB Marquice Cole, S Jim Leonhard, CB Dwight Lowery, QB Mark Sanchez, OL Robert Turner

Indianapolis

Out: DT Keyunta Dawson, WR Pierre Garcon, WR Anthony Gonzalez, DB Jerraud Powers

Doubtful: T Charlie Johnson, LB Clint Session

Questionable: DE Robert Mathis, DB Melvin Bullitt, DE Dwight Freeney, K Adam Vinatieri

Probable: RB Donald Brown, LB Gary Brackett, DB Antoine Bethea, LB Freddy Keiaho, WR Reggie Wayne, RB Chad Simpson, G Jamey Richard, QB Peyton Manning, DB Jacob Lacey, DB Tim Jennings, RB Mike Hart, DB Aaron Francisco, T Ryan Diem

wow 23 players on Indy's in jury report-that's half an active team

Last week's didn't. DLJ used these: ~ ~

Also, I searched some old ones, and the Jets-Pats game had three *'s. Granted, we played our worst game of the season with the three asterisks, but you can't say there's any protocol anymore with the way the gameday threads have been done this season.

In any case, no one was around to do it at midnite. No 124, DLJ, Max, SoFla, etc. No one. So its either this or nothing until someone would have woken up. Jerk.

LOL I didnt make the thread because we lost last week and the boys usually bitch about "jinxes" and such.

Archived