Impending snow storm hurt SB chances?

Jetsfan1015

Just wondering do you think this impending snow storm hurt the new stadiums chances of getting the Super Bowl? Even though the area around the stadium is only suppose to get 3-6 inches, it clearly shows the potential for a blizzard to happen during the Super Bowl. Which I am sure the NFL does not want. Just a thought...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no...the fact that w eliv ein a cold weather area and the superbowl is smack dab in th middle of the coldest part of the year is the reason we won't see a superbowl in new york. if the stadium had a roof then we'd have a chance....but since it doesn't it will never happen. personally, i think a superbowl played in the snow would be awesome. but those days are over.

no...the fact that w eliv ein a cold weather area and the superbowl is smack dab in th middle of the coldest part of the year is the reason we won't see a superbowl in new york. if the stadium had a roof then we'd have a chance....but since it doesn't it will never happen. personally, i think a superbowl played in the snow would be awesome. but those days are over.

Even with a roof it wouldn't happen. The NFL wants Super Bowl Week to be an event... with lots of individual sponsored events being held out doors. NY would never happen.

Even with a roof it wouldn't happen. The NFL wants Super Bowl Week to be an event... with lots of individual sponsored events being held out doors. NY would never happen.

If we had a roof the Super Bowl would be here every 5 years. Remember, Detroit has hosted 2 SBs, Minnesota has hosted a SB, Indianapolis is hosting a SB. if we had a roof we'd be in the SB rotation.

If we had a roof the Super Bowl would be here every 5 years. Remember, Detroit has hosted 2 SBs, Minnesota has hosted a SB, Indianapolis is hosting a SB. if we had a roof we'd be in the SB rotation.

There has been 1 SB in the past 17 years in a non warm weather city. Atlanta will be out of the rotation because of the chance of inclement weather. There have been complaints about the weather in Miami... SB week has become a flagship event... it isn't about the game anymore like it used to be.

Actually, had the WSS been built the SB would have been played in NY this Sunday.

Plus the NFL had pretty much guaranteed 3 SBs in the first 10 years to help get it built.

****ing Dolans! :akf:

There has been 1 SB in the past 17 years in a non warm weather city. Atlanta will be out of the rotation because of the chance of inclement weather. There have been complaints about the weather in Miami... SB week has become a flagship event... it isn't about the game anymore like it used to be.

It hasn't been about the game in 30 years but NY knows how to handle big events and regardless of the weather we would be in the rotation.

Pretty much.

And Miami is about to go out of the rotation as well because of the weather and sub-par facility.

The SB will primarily be played in the following cities on a rotation basis IMO:

Dallas

San Diego

Phoenix

Houston

New Orleans

Places like Detroit and Indianapolis will be thrown in, but that's it.

How you can spend over a billion dollars on a stadium and not have a retractable roof over is just plain ridiculous.

This has been explained countless times.

The NFL and NOT THE LOCAL TEAMS controls when a dome is open or closed during games.

Woody and the Maras didn't want a roof because they want the coldweather home field advantage.

Plus, the benefit of the roof goes to New Jersey rather than the teams because New Jersey would get the most benefit out of a SB, Final Four, etc.

Soooo, Woody and the Maras when to then Gov. Corzine and said, "Since a roof benefits you more than us and we don't want a roof, but you do, then New Jersey should pay for it."

Corzine said NO.

Get it now???

The NFL and NOT THE LOCAL TEAMS controls when a dome is open or closed during games.

Woody and the Maras didn't want a roof because they want the coldweather home field advantage.

Plus, the benefit of the roof goes to New Jersey rather than the teams because New Jersey would get the most benefit out of a SB, Final Four, etc.

Soooo, Woody and the Maras when to then Gov. Corzine and said, "Since a roof benefits you more than us and we don't want a roof, but you do, then New Jersey should pay for it."

Corzine said NO.

Get it now???

Did that rule change recently? Because up until a couple of years ago, the home team decided, 90 minutes before the game.

Did that rule change recently? Because up until a couple of years ago, the home team decided, 90 minutes before the game.

Yep.

The new rule came into play with the Bills playing in Toronto.

Tagliabue and Goodell in recent years have been pushing to make the games a more level playing field and removing aspects of homefield advantage. The QB headset was part of that. There controlling of crowd noise and sound effects is another.

Yep.

The new rule came into play with the Bills playing in Toronto.

here is what Lucas Oil Stadium has on their site:

NFL rules for roof opening -- home team determines if roof is to be opened or closed 90 minutes before kickoff (except if precipitation is within the vicinity of LOS, temperature is below 40 degrees, or wind gusts are greater than 40 mph, then roof is automatically closed). It remains open unless there are hazardous conditions (lightning, severe winds, precipitation, low temperatures, etc.) Once closed, the roof may not be reopened.

here is what Lucas Oil Stadium has on their site:

NFL rules for roof opening -- home team determines if roof is to be opened or closed 90 minutes before kickoff (except if precipitation is within the vicinity of LOS, temperature is below 40 degrees, or wind gusts are greater than 40 mph, then roof is automatically closed). It remains open unless there are hazardous conditions (lightning, severe winds, precipitation, low temperatures, etc.) Once closed, the roof may not be reopened.

That sounds like Meadowlands weather to me. Does it to you?

The exception I highlighted above is essentially the rule--which Woody and the Maras specifically invoked according to the articles I've read.

It's a hollow rule don't you think? The team has the option to keep the roof open or closed EXCEPT IN COLD OR BAD WEATHER. That's really not a choice, is it?

That sounds like Meadowlands weather to me. Does it to you?

The exception I highlighted above is essentially the rule--which Woody and the Maras specifically invoked according to the articles I've read.

It's a hollow rule don't you think? The team has the option to keep the roof open or closed EXCEPT IN COLD OR BAD WEATHER. That's really not a choice, is it?

Hazardous would have to be more strictly defined.

I remember when they halted a Jets opening game due to lightning (rightly so).

Low temperatures? Hazardous? I would like to see examples when the NFL stepped in on any of those occasions (aside from Toronto which had NFL scrutiny).

Just does not appear clear cut.

Corzine said NO.

Get it now???

I'll make sure to personally email you next time I have a question or make a statement. Just to make sure it is okay with you.

Pretty much.

And Miami is about to go out of the rotation as well because of the weather and sub-par facility.

The SB will primarily be played in the following cities on a rotation basis IMO:

Dallas

San Diego

Phoenix

Houston

New Orleans

Places like Detroit and Indianapolis will be thrown in, but that's it.

How do you take Miami and Tampa out of the rotation? Is 65 degrees too cold?

Hazardous would have to be more strictly defined.

I remember when they halted a Jets opening game due to lightning (rightly so).

Low temperatures? Hazardous? I would like to see examples when the NFL stepped in on any of those occasions (aside from Toronto which had NFL scrutiny).

Just does not appear clear cut.

SD, why are you referring to "hazardous" when it's in 2 seperate clauses?

This is your quote:

The "except" part concerning precipitation and temperature doesn't mention hazardous and the term hazardous is in a different sentence.

That clearly means that the roof is closed in cold weather or rain. Hazardous conditions is a separate grounds for closing the roof.

Again, you're making a connection that simply isn't there.

The teams can't keep the roof open except in bad weather, which would take the choice out of Woody or the Mara's hands in December and January.

Case in point BASED ON YOUR OWN QUOTE, if the AFC title game had been played in the Meadowlands with a domed stadium and the temperatures at the time, the roof would have had to be closed.

I'll make sure to personally email you next time I have a question or make a statement. Just to make sure it is okay with you.

Thanks!

But hey, you have every right to make factually inaccurate statements.

How do you take Miami and Tampa out of the rotation? Is 65 degrees too cold?

I mistakenly forgot about Tampa, but the NFL dislikes Miami because of the rain and the poor facilities. Goodell said recently that the SB won't return unless there's an upgrade.

SD, why are you referring to "hazardous" when it's in 2 seperate clauses?

This is your quote:

The "except" part concerning precipitation and temperature doesn't mention hazardous and the term hazardous is in a different sentence.

That clearly means that the roof is closed in cold weather or rain. Hazardous conditions is a separate grounds for closing the roof.

Again, you're making a connection that simply isn't there.

The teams can't keep the roof open except in bad weather, which would take the choice out of Woody or the Mara's hands in December and January.

Case in point BASED ON YOUR OWN QUOTE, if the AFC title game had been played in the Meadowlands with a domed stadium and the temperatures at the time, the roof would have had to be closed.

I only see "hazardous" once, and they associate it with cold weather. I don't get the connection.

Can post the NFL's official take on this, because as I see it, the decision resides with the home team.

I bet it might be different in a playoff scenario.

I only see "hazardous" once, and they associate it with cold weather. I don't get the connection.

Can post the NFL's official take on this, because as I see it, the decision resides with the home team.

I bet it might be different in a playoff scenario.

I can't understand how you can come to that conclusion based on what YOU QUOTED.

Let's break the sentences down:

NFL rules for roof opening -- home team determines if roof is to be opened or closed 90 minutes before kickoff (except if precipitation is within the vicinity of LOS, temperature is below 40 degrees, or wind gusts are greater than 40 mph, then roof is automatically closed).

It clearly states that the roof is AUTOMATICALLY CLOSED with rain/snow and cold weather. There is no decision by the home team.

It remains open unless there are hazardous conditions (lightning, severe winds, precipitation, low temperatures, etc.) Once closed, the roof may not be reopened.

This sentence states the grounds for closing a roof after it's been open. It gives separate grounds, including those grounds for when the roof is automatically closed as stated above.

Again, if there are automatic grounds for closure such as rain or cold weather, I don't understand how you can claim the decision resides with the home team.

The home team only has a "decision" during good weather. So, yes, they have a choice, but it's an empty choice.

As to different playoff rules? I have no idea. But I seriously doubt there'd be a difference.

I can't understand how you can come to that conclusion based on what YOU QUOTED.

Let's break the sentences down:

It clearly states that the roof is AUTOMATICALLY CLOSED with rain/snow and cold weather. There is no decision by the home team.

This sentence states the grounds for closing a roof after it's been open. It gives separate grounds, including those grounds for when the roof is automatically closed as stated above.

Again, if there are automatic grounds for closure such as rain or cold weather, I don't understand how you can claim the decision resides with the home team.

The home team only has a "decision" during good weather. So, yes, they have a choice, but it's an empty choice.

As to different playoff rules? I have no idea. But I seriously doubt there'd be a difference.

Where does the NFL come into the decision? That is the crux.

Where does the NFL come into the decision? That is the crux.

When the term AUTOMATIC is used.

The NFL has made the decision that whenever there is percipitation in the area or when it's colder than 40 degrees, the roof is closed.

If they had a roof, you can GUARANTEE a Super Bowl would happen here.

Now why they didn't put a roof on the damned stadium is beyond me. PUT IT THE F ON, just don't close it if you want it open.

When the term AUTOMATIC is used.

The NFL has made the decision that whenever there is percipitation in the area or when it's colder than 40 degrees, the roof is closed.

Gotcha now.

Your statement made it seem more that the NFL decides EVERY time how a roof is operated. That is not true. The TEAM controls it, unless certain thresholds are met, by the NFL mandate.

If the wind is 39mph and the temp is 41, it is a TEAM decision.

Splitting hairs, but hairs that needed to be split.

All you needed to do pre building the stadium is tell the NFL.. "Look, we want a waiver to the automatically closed roof rule, and in return, we'll get NJ to fund the roof on the stadium and you can have your metropolitian windfall called a super bowl" it would have been done in a heartbeat.

Gotcha now.

Your statement made it seem more that the NFL decides EVERY time how a roof is operated. That is not true. The TEAM controls it, unless certain thresholds are met, by the NFL mandate.

If the wind is 39mph and the temp is 41, it is a TEAM decision.

Splitting hairs, but hairs that needed to be split.

Yes, splitting hairs. That's your forte.

In any event, the TEAM does have control over the roof when the weather is good.

For Woody and the Maras, they'd have no choice in November, December, and January because NJ weather would have fallen within the "thresholds." That's why they were against the roof.

A roof would have removed an important aspect of lateseason & playoff homefield advantage for the Jets and Giants. That's the important point.

All you needed to do pre building the stadium is tell the NFL.. "Look, we want a waiver to the automatically closed roof rule, and in return, we'll get NJ to fund the roof on the stadium and you can have your metropolitian windfall called a super bowl" it would have been done in a heartbeat.

True.

But hey, Corzine is out of a job so blame him. ;)

Yes, splitting hairs. That's your forte.

In any event, the TEAM does have control over the roof when the weather is good.

For Woody and the Maras, they'd have no choice in November, December, and January because NJ weather would have fallen within the "thresholds." That's why they were against the roof.

A roof would have removed an important aspect of lateseason & playoff homefield advantage for the Jets and Giants. That's the important point.

YOU were the one that said the NFL decides. That is inaccurate, as they always do NOT.

Carry on.

YOU were the one that said the NFL decides. That is inaccurate, as they always do NOT.

Carry on.

The NFL has decided. They've decreed that the roof is ALWAYS closed during cold or inclement weather.

That's accurate.

Carry on.

The NFL has decided. They've decreed that the roof is ALWAYS closed during cold or inclement weather.

That's accurate.

Carry on.

Some people may say that 41 degrees is cold. Some may say that 39 mph wind is inclement.

Home team decides there.

How many games at the Meadowlands have had winds of more than 39mph? I would guess less than 10 percent..

Archived