Edwards wants long-term deal.

visajets

The uncapped year came at a bad time for Braylon, but a good time for the Jets. Tanny's using the lack of a contract to pressure Edwards into spending some time in NJ during the offseason (you'd have to pressure me, too), and to commit himself to the program.

If Edwards opens the season strong, the Jets will work out a nice contract extension for him during the 2010 season to take whatever advantage they can of the uncapped year. It's up to Braylon. He just needs to work hard and minimize the drops.

Best news in that article:

The GM has scheduled talks with the agents for CB Darrelle Revis and C Nick Mangold, both Pro Bowlers, regarding long-term contracts.

Those would be the top two names on my list, too. Braylon can wait.

We can't do that just yet.

1) Braylon Edwards dropped many key catches. He even dropped one against the Bengals in the playoffs. He also could've cost us a couple of games in the reg. season. I say we wait one more year and he see how he does with a full off-season under his belt.

2) Contracts for Nick Mangold, David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Ferguson.

The drop stuff is overrated by fans and the media.

Edwards should get a long term deal, but not this year. Tendering him is the smart thing to do with other players (as mentioned) higher in the pecking order of new contracts.

Every single WR drops passes.

Not at the rate Braylon Edwards & Roy Williams do.

Ugh the offseason sucks, it seems like everyone forgets the stuff that transpired during the season. How many passes did Braylon Edwards drop, easy passes?

Here is a refresher, lest you forget:

2a9e5nn.gif

^^WTF WAS THAT?

Not at the rate Braylon Edwards & Roy Williams do.

Ugh the offseason sucks, it seems like everyone forgets the stuff that transpired during the season. How many passes did Braylon Edwards drop, easy passes?

Here is a refresher, lest you forget:

2a9e5nn.gif

^^WTF WAS THAT?

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

Dwayne Bowe...Vernon Davis...Holmes...Celek...Clark...Colston...Gates...AJ...drops don't actually have any significance, like alot of things fans give significance to.

Everyone drops...just like everyone sh*ts. It happens.

...drops don't actually have any significance, like alot of things fans give significance to.

:confused0058:

A drop is often the difference between a TD, first down, or a punt. I'd say they frequently have significant significance.

Braylon's seemed to always come in big spots. Long balls where he was wide open, with beautiful passes falling right between his hands. It's something worth working on.

Edwards should get a long term deal, but not this year. Tendering him is the smart thing to do with other players (as mentioned) higher in the pecking order of new contracts.

If drops didn't count Richard Caster would be in the HOF.

LOL

But I never said "drops didn't count."

I'm saying that the Braylon criticism concerning drops is overblown.

It's a tough call with Braylon. He clearly is a physical beast, blocks well down field but he not only drops balls he doesn't go after balls and protect the QB from INT's. He also has alligator arms shying from contact that he can't initiate. He's not afraid of contact in fact loves it but only if he's the one creating it.

I don't get the sense that he is a hard worker and get the sense he is a great athlete who is coasting on his talent.

While he does add a demension or fear to our O you have to be careful about tying him up to a high paying long term deal. We need to see some commitment from him to put in the work. This guy could go either way. He has huge upside potential but he also has team cancer written all over him.

It really isn't. His catch rate last year was 47%. What you see as overblown criticism I see as a legitimate issue being glossed over.

It is a legitimate issue. Even Edwards' father says it is.

That I'm not challenging that. It's the matter of degree that I'm challenging. For me it's a legitimate issue. For fans and the media it's a crisis the way it's portrayed.

Thus, that's why I say it's overblown. The issue is mental. Edwards can make spectacular catches (as we saw against the Fins and in other games), but then there are mental lapses on easier passes.

I would sign him. His drops all seem to be concentration drops. The ball hit him in the head on one for crying out loud.

That is something that is correctable.

What they can't teach is his size, speed and ability to take over a game.

EJq1hdPk74Y

You know how youtube suggests things in the search field? So I type in braylon edwards and the first suggestion is 'braylon edwards drops'. Anyway, here is a clip of him dropping a pass in pregame warmups.

wow lol i never saw that. i still love braylon and he beasted it up that game

He dropped a touchdown pass in the playoffs. How is it overrated?

:confused0058:

A drop is often the difference between a TD, first down, or a punt. I'd say they frequently have significant significance.

Braylon's seemed to always come in big spots. Long balls where he was wide open, with beautiful passes falling right between his hands. It's something worth working on.

Very good WRs have high amount of drops all the time. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and it's inconsistent on a year to year basis.

He had some bad drops, but he was a really good player for us and he's heading into his prime years. My guess is we see a huge year for Edwards, but only after not signing him long term to see if he has a huge year.

Very good WRs have high amount of drops all the time. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and it's inconsistent on a year to year basis.

He had some bad drops, but he was a really good player for us and he's heading into his prime years. My guess is we see a huge year for Edwards, but only after not signing him long term to see if he has a huge year.

Spot on, Brayon will be a Jet long term, just look how our running game improved when he signed. People know he's a game breaker, yes he had the drops last year, and yes I almost put the Tv through once or twice myself, but you don't let him go F.A because he dropped a few balls! You work on that in the off season. We got the guy with some chump change picks and roster fillers. I'd be more p@ssed if I was Brown myself. Man we punked them all last year!

Archived