Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

Well that's your take.. I give credit to I28, Slats, Sharrow, and Crusher all who helped me stay alive for 2 days while you guys speed lynched each other.

Special shout out to DanX once she joined but a lot was done to get to that point. Also thanks to Vic who did a 180 and frantically tried to help us win in the last minute.

Fair enough. It is kind of nice that your 35 scum team members were there to have your back. :biggrin:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you son of a bitch!

fwiw.. i know i played poorly, but i do think that the way bleedin thing went down was a little shaky. I understand you're perpsective in the matter, but I'd think the mod should refrain from inserting himself into the game to that degree. Just my 2 cents, but protecting the town from their own stupidity isn't really the mods role, I understand what you were going for (protecting mass butt hurt ala jif), and at that point I relied on your heavy handed approach to my own fault.

I really thought i'd be given a chance to unvote based on your post, which is ashame that a misread of the mod caused such a critical turning point. I knew i was going to be on and around so i figured i'd have time to unvote after digesting bleedin's post

But as i said earlier, this isn't sour grapes. We had our chances, just something to think about for the next time.

Hey, understandable, but hey, it wasn't the first time I tried to protect the town from their own stupidity. :D

Did you guys ever notice something in common with the 2 deadline days?

In both instances the town had the scum within striking distance of a lynch but started to waffle. If you guys didn't have the deadline you would have convinced yourself that Sharrow and Crusher shouldn't be lynched.

You're too hard on yourself. You're better at this game than you give yourself credit. Just to give you an idea, right after I got torched, you're sitting here talking yourself done while also being the one person in the game who had Pac dead to rights. Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking to myself to stop doubting yourself, you've got the bastard! Had he missed on that conversion that night, you would've had your sights set on the last Thing on the way to a town win.

Well I appreciate that. I was convinced Dan X was a thing because they came out firing at me. Once everyone knew I was the last roleless it became more or less "lynch you now cause your dead anyways."

This was a rough game to be a roleless townie. Had no idea if I was a thing or what haha.

Fair enough. It is kind of nice that your 35 scum team members were there to have your back. :biggrin:

The funny thing is when I was alone 2 days I kept telling those guys I was toast but thankfully your and CTM's follies kept us right in it. The speed lynch of JiF made for a GREAT moment in the Thing Thread. ;)

Lol.

I'll give credit to Dan. I was really angry when I was converted, mostly because I was till in the game COMPLETELY ROLELESS, only to be converted at the end. I didn't know if the town would win or lose but I didn't want to make it easy for the things. She continued playing for the win. This game wore me out though, I rather die early as town or be scum. Because I honestly do think I blow at this game. I was off the mark all game and didn't do a single damn thing right.

Ironically, my character inexplicably disappears from the movie. I guess my self vote made the end-game much more interesting.

The thing is, though, that you weren't the only role less townie in the game.

The role less townies were:

Vicious

AVM

Slats

Pac

AVM got lynched day 1. Slats & Pac got converted. That left you.

BTW, if JVoR got lynched early he had the option to recruit another player to replace him as CIA agent. That would have been you.

The funny thing is when I was alone 2 days I kept telling those guys I was toast but thankfully your and CTM's follies kept us right in it. The speed lynch of JiF made for a GREAT moment in the Thing Thread. ;)

That was a classic SOCTMBG as townies moment.

Hey, I had nothing to do with that speed lynch nonsense. I made it in the thread just in time to see the hammer get dropped.

And for all of my follies, need I remind you that until I realized CTM was lying out of his ass, my scum choice was between you (Thing) and JVOR (3rd party douchebag who wasn't even in the movie). If only people had listened to me sooner. Clearly I'm a genius.

Hey, I had nothing to do with that speed lynch nonsense. I made it in the thread just in time to see the hammer get dropped.

And for all of my follies, need I remind you that until I realized CTM was lying out of his ass, my scum choice was between you (Thing) and JVOR (3rd party douchebag who wasn't even in the movie). If only people had listened to me sooner. Clearly I'm a genius.

Fair enough. Too bad your 35 townie team members weren't listening to you. ;)

The thing is, though, that you weren't the only role less townie in the game.

The role less townies were:

Vicious

AVM

Slats

Pac

AVM got lynched day 1. Slats & Pac got converted. That left you.

BTW, if JVoR got lynched early he had the option to recruit another player to replace him as CIA agent. That would have been you.

Oh, I'm WELL aware of that. But by the end of the game it was me, things and power roles. I was so ronery.

Hey, understandable, but hey, it wasn't the first time I tried to protect the town from their own stupidity. :D

Did you guys ever notice something in common with the 2 deadline days?

In both instances the town had the scum within striking distance of a lynch but started to waffle. If you guys didn't have the deadline you would have convinced yourself that Sharrow and Crusher shouldn't be lynched.

I noticed it :D..

bah.. i still can't beleive i bought your bs and talked myself out of investigating you 2x

in any event, this will all serve me well as I hope i did some rep repair, both that i'm some kind of evil mastermind or that i'm particularly good at this game.

If it makes you feel any better, my power role was essentially useless and I was as good as roleless anyway considering the Thingies never even took a shot at me.

I guess what makes me feel better is that CTM, who is a player I respect, was as lost as I was at certain points. It was a great set-up.

bah.. i still can't beleive i bought your bs and talked myself out of investigating you 2x

in any event, this will all serve me well as I hope i did some rep repair, both that i'm some kind of evil mastermind or that i'm particularly good at this game.

Welcome to my life. At the beginning of the game before this, everyone was talking me up about how great I was at the game. The town "needing me" was even part of the reason I made it through day one. After you schooled my ass at end-game, everyone realized how much I truly sucked. It was so bad that I was one of only three people in the entire game that there wasn't a conversion attempt on at all, and one of them (AVM) was killed night one! So don't worry, come next game people will think you're the worst and want nothing to do with you.

Dude.. the post abotu Copper being the only doctor had me thinking about lynching pac.. then you came in and said nevermind..lol

gah! so close.. I could kick myself reviewing all of the stupid decisions i made..

Attacking you because you are good at this game was the best strategy I could come up with. Funny thing is if you had come back with a guilty result earlier then you did I planned on going out in an epic, curse filled, blaze of glory.

Welcome to my life. At the beginning of the game before this, everyone was talking me up about how great I was at the game. The town "needing me" was even part of the reason I made it through day one. After you schooled my ass at end-game, everyone realized how much I truly sucked. It was so bad that I was one of only three people in the entire game that there wasn't a conversion attempt on at all, and one of them (AVM) was killed night one! So don't worry, come next game people will think you're the worst and want nothing to do with you.

The day after I was converted they wanted to go after you but I convinced them to go after I28... I thought he was rolled up.

I guess what makes me feel better is that CTM, who is a player I respect, was as lost as I was at certain points. It was a great set-up.

And i had info!

Don't sweat it dude.. You ahd pac clocked at the end and I was still doubting it lol.. I just couldn't understand how he had visited me and was not converted. I assumed that multiple people had vests and that was the cause of all the missed conversions. I literally kep going back and forth on it and kept landing on i guess he has to be the doctor..

Conversion games are real hard to figure out and the paranoia the conversion creates causes the mind to get pretty inventive. At one point i asked SMC if i was thing and didn't know it.. LOL!!

Attacking you because you are good at this game was the best strategy I could come up with. Funny thing is if you had come back with a guilty result earlier then you did I planned on going out in an epic, curse filled, blaze of glory.

that was the other great move. The other thing i said to myself towards the end was i feel better now that pac is all over me for lying.. THe intial limp dick I'm so confused stuff, made me sure you were lying intially.. If you had kept that up i would've ended up pushing for you the day bleedin died..

And i had info!

Don't sweat it dude.. You ahd pac clocked at the end and I was still doubting it lol.. I just couldn't understand how he had visited me and was not converted. I assumed that multiple people had vests and that was the cause of all the missed conversions. I literally kep going back and forth on it and kept landing on i guess he has to be the doctor..

Conversion games are real hard to figure out and the paranoia the conversion creates causes the mind to get pretty inventive. At one point i asked SMC if i was thing and didn't know it.. LOL!!

That's what I kept thinking! That's why at the end I said "Hey I swear on my son but if I don't know don't hold it against me!"

I wonder if BG will set it up conversion style for the Star Wars game? Converting the Jedi to the Sith. I seriously can't wait for that.

That's what I kept thinking! That's why at the end I said "Hey I swear on my son but if I don't know don't hold it against me!"

I wonder if BG will set it up conversion style for the Star Wars game? Converting the Jedi to the Sith. I seriously can't wait for that.

I hope not.. lol.. h8 conversion games

even though i lost, i'm glad i wasn't converted, after the last game i wnted nothing to do with duping the town again..lol

even though i lost, i'm glad i wasn't converted, after the last game i wnted nothing to do with duping the town again..lol

I try really hard not to play the identity politics in the game. The way I see it if someone gets a rep it's cause they're good. I actually for once, never questioned your innocence. JVoR I had suspicions of all game, and although he wasn't a thing he wasn't pro-town either :)

And i had info!

And I had a good laugh sending you an Investigation Response:

"CTM is Human"

And you screaming back to me that wasn't your investigation choice. I considered being a prick and telling you that you used up your investigation when you sent the real one, but I knew you'd go ballistic.

BTW, Bleedin was so close to figuring it all out but at the last minute he'd talk himself out of it.

I know conversion games are tough, but this was a good group of players to do it with, and the paranoia matched that of the movie. You always had to question the way things were happening.

When I created this game I told myself that CTM HAD TO BE MacReady. There was no question about it.

Your personality fit the character in the movie to a T. I was so glad the conversion attempts failed.

On the night Dan X got converted, I thought Pac was going to try you again. You would have been converted then because the coin flipped in the Thing's favor.

JVoR played really well and he had the best role in the game. It was a homage to my other favorite Sci Fi horror flick.

But the funny thing is that JVoR essentially quite a couple of times in the game because he thought he couldn't win. He'd PM me saying it's over he can't win. I had to PM him back and say, "No you fool, you still have a chance."

JVoR played really well and he had the best role in the game. It was a homage to my other favorite Sci Fi horror flick.

But the funny thing is that JVoR essentially quite a couple of times in the game because he thought he couldn't win. He'd PM me saying it's over he can't win. I had to PM him back and say, "No you fool, you still have a chance."

I seriously wanted him SO DEAD. I still hate the reveals. I know every game is different, but when we have constant reveals I feel it sets a precedent to scum that "Hey just BS reveal and you'll be fine". I have to learn to be more aggressive with my thoughts.

And I had a good laugh sending you an Investigation Response:

"CTM is Human"

And you screaming back to me that wasn't your investigation choice. I considered being a prick and telling you that you used up your investigation when you sent the real one, but I knew you'd go ballistic.

BTW, Bleedin was so close to figuring it all out but at the last minute he'd talk himself out of it.

I know conversion games are tough, but this was a good group of players to do it with, and the paranoia matched that of the movie. You always had to question the way things were happening.

Ohh yeah.. it was tons of fun. I hate them because I'm not good at them lol...

I was 100% sold on jifs innocence, then crusher flipping scum + a run of hits had me anxious to lynch him.. All cause of the paranoia factor..

even dan x, had her 100% as town, and then she did that little, well if you think it's a good idea hammer of jif made me investigate her that night thinking she had been converted..

my mind is too paranoid to function properly in these types of game with all the changing variables.. Players that are more intuitive like jif and crusher fare better in them..

When I created this game I told myself that CTM HAD TO BE MacReady. There was no question about it.

Your personality fit the character in the movie to a T. I was so glad the conversion attempts failed.

On the night Dan X got converted, I thought Pac was going to try you again. You would have been converted then because the coin flipped in the Thing's favor.

lol.. oh man, if i had gotten converted it would've been so easy. My gambit to deter the things from trying to convert me also would've made me untouchable in a convert and bus scenario. I even tried to spell it out to pac to deter him from trying it. Had i gotten converted then and went to war with pac, I can't see how the town would've ever lynched the survivor of that battle..

Ha! Both of you can come whining to me after you get a gambit named after you, so that in EVERY DAMN GAME people remind each other they can't trust you, even if you're not playing

The day after I was converted they wanted to go after you but I convinced them to go after I28... I thought he was rolled up.

This is true. We also had it in our minds to have someone claim cop if they were cornered, but then we converted the doc - so we had that role in our pockets.

And Bleedin' always seems to be on the cusp of getting lynched, anyway.

I seriously wanted him SO DEAD. I still hate the reveals. I know every game is different, but when we have constant reveals I feel it sets a precedent to scum that "Hey just BS reveal and you'll be fine". I have to learn to be more aggressive with my thoughts.

I did, too -as scum- but I'm dead serious that I would've felt that way as town, too. Didn't make sense for there to be a watcher type role for the town. And when he released CTM's name like that - I can't believe everyone still bought that he was town! Even though I thought I knew he was town at the time, that was clearly an anti-town move.

Ironic that you were the one townie who really wanted him dead, and that you would've gotten the PM that you're the new FBI agent overnight!

This is true. We also had it in our minds to have someone claim cop if they were cornered, but then we converted the doc - so we had that role in our pockets.

I did, too -as scum- but I'm dead serious that I would've felt that way as town, too. Didn't make sense for there to be a watcher type role for the town. And when he released CTM's name like that - I can't believe everyone still bought that he was town! Even though I thought I knew he was town at the time, that was clearly an anti-town move.

Ironic that you were the one townie who really wanted him dead, and that you would've gotten the PM that you're the new FBI agent overnight!

It was ironic and in the gameplay aspect... I think it would've been easier for the person who killed him to win. Everyone would've assumed the role was dead. He played a hell of a game.

Its funny you say that, as this game was actually only the second time ever I actually got lynched in a mafia game. Go figure. :P

And JVoR, I only mention that as an option. If Dan had off'd herself and Pac converted someone else that would have been difficult. But the town had already screwed themselves and anything short of NKng Pac was putting the town in a hail mary situation.

In this case, the only hail mary that would have worked for the Town was off'ng her self.

My problem was I didn't know if I had been converted yet. If not, how awful would it have been to go down in history as the vig who shoots herself when the pressure's on, haha. :P

If not for the fact that CTM said he was investigating Pac, I definitely would have shot him. But at the time, I was in a frenzy trying to catch up and didn't want to kill a power role when I knew an investigation was coming. Haha, I really don't think I'm cut out to be a vigilante, the stress is just too much!

Anyway, this has proven to me how much the game of mafia is dependent on chance. Haha, just imagine if my shots at Slats and Integrity hadn't gone through and I had ended up killing CTM instead! This was a game full of really wonderful players, all of whom did a fantastic job trying to work with the limited information they had. Everyone makes good and bad choices, and a lot of it comes down to guesswork and timing.

Lol.

I'll give credit to Dan. I was really angry when I was converted, mostly because I was till in the game COMPLETELY ROLELESS, only to be converted at the end. I didn't know if the town would win or lose but I didn't want to make it easy for the things. She continued playing for the win. This game wore me out though, I rather die early as town or be scum. Because I honestly do think I blow at this game. I was off the mark all game and didn't do a single damn thing right.

Ironically, my character inexplicably disappears from the movie. I guess my self vote made the end-game much more interesting.

The more I think about, I'm not sure that your self-vote was such a terrible move. Maybe in principle ... but we probably would have had to lynch you that day, anyway. CTM had a guilty on you, and I doubt you and I could have gotten him or JVoR lynched.

I'll just say those 10 minutes were one hell of an emotional rollercoaster for me (as I'm sure they were for you and a lot of people)! :P I went from anger/guilt when I was converted, to panic and then immediate exuberance when Pac was lynched but the conversion on you succeeded, and finally horror when you angrily PMed me and self-voted. Haha, by the time it got to the begging portion of the game, I was wiped.

Well that's your take.. I give credit to I28, Slats, Sharrow, and Crusher all who helped me stay alive for 2 days while you guys speed lynched each other.

Special shout out to DanX once she joined but a lot was done to get to that point. Also thanks to Vic who did a 180 and frantically tried to help us win in the last minute.

I agree! Dead scummates were a huuuge help in getting me up to speed really fast and understanding how horrible it was to get converted against your will. :D Like I said, I think everyone played really great games this time around!

Archived