Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

Yeah, I never used one of those before. Seemed funny to say things like that in a conversion game, hahaha.

Well go to the first few pages... they were calling my irritating, mocking me, and plotting my death LOL.

I try not to take that stuff personally and I apologize if I offended you... although in fairness it wasn't really a debate on how you looked naked... it was a 1 liner (not by me) that fizzled out quickly.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
apparently pac said them right before converting you..

dumbass..

i'd never read that thread... i cant imagine how blasted i was getting in there..

Wrong again....

and it was said much more in jest then being serious... I think she'll attest to that.

By the way, scummates, the most entertaining part of the game had to be when I read back in your chat thread and saw Pac wanting to "punch her in the face" and the debate about whether or not I look like Margaret Cho naked. Really nice. ;)

Oh, yeah... in case you haven't gotten the memo... you can't put Pac and I in the same room together without something terribly offensive coming out of it.

Oh, yeah... in case you haven't gotten the memo... you can't put Pac and I in the same room together without something terribly offensive coming out of it.

It was almost as fun as the game thread! Your posts were DEFINITELY helping me get through the last couple days and the laughs helped take the edge off.

Dude we knew she'd see it... we tried to convert her a couple times!

Dan was actually their first conversion attempt, I was their second.

Crusher was pushing the idea of us as teammates early, and it really would've worked well if they'd gotten Dan earlier and we bussed Crusher.

Dude we knew she'd see it... we tried to convert her a couple times!

Yeah, I actually had 0 protection against conversions. I just said it hoping you all would stay away, or that it would work to my advantage if I did get converted.

In SMC's opening scene, he tells you, "...be warned, research team, there are human members among you that may be an ally or ultimately an enemy."

I talked about this a lot before I was converted. Too bad the rest of you missed it. :P

My mistake, that statement right there clearly completely justifies a 33% townie rate at game's end. It's fine, I have no problem with giving JVOR a hearty pat on the back, thanking my teammates and giving absolutely no credit to the rest of you whatsoever. :biggrin:

My mistake, that statement right there clearly completely justifies a 33% townie rate at game's end. It's fine, I have no problem with giving JVOR a hearty pat on the back, thanking my teammates and giving absolutely no credit to the rest of you whatsoever. :biggrin:

I think between the unassimilatable, the doc, and the percentages that SMC put in place, that it was pretty well balanced. Scum got lucky on a couple conversions, and JVoR had to make sure that Pac lived for a while to keep himself in the game.

The "lynch all liars" mantra went right out the window in this game. Everyone was full of crap!

:rl:

i was so desperate to not get converted i would've claimed anything!

And then some way through it occured to me that if I was converted, I unwttingly had set myself up quite nicely..

I think between the unassimilatable, the doc, and the percentages that SMC put in place, that it was pretty well balanced. Scum got lucky on a couple conversions, and JVoR had to make sure that Pac lived for a while to keep himself in the game.

There weren't THAT many people who couldn't be assimilated, most who said they couldn't be were liars. Me and JiF only had one immunity a piece. JVOR was the only one completely uncovertable. Did it help balance things some? Sure, but not enough. But that's why the conversion % thing is a crock (and I'm not just saying in this game). Its SUPPOSED to balance things out, but when it comes to statistical percentages, while they always work out in the long run with a big enough sample, you can't take a small subset and expect for those numbers to always work out. Its all based on pure luck and if the luck falls too heavily in one direction, the balance goes right out the window. When there were 3 conversion in 4 phases, from there on out the game was unbelievably unbalanced. If not for Dan it would've been unwinnable at that point.

Just to clarify, I'm not actually mad, but I am completely pissing on the merits of a winning scum team who ended having over 50% of the game roster and still needed the game handed to them by a 3rd party on the last day. :biggrin:

Great job SMC, the setup and death scenes we're very immpressive and make the game so much more fun...

I spent wayyyy too much time on this game, but like i said, i love figuring out puzzles and didn't get this one until it was too late.

Thanks again!

Great job SMC, the setup and death scenes we're very immpressive and make the game so much more fun...

I spent wayyyy too much time on this game, but like i said, i love figuring out puzzles and didn't get this one until it was too late.

Thanks again!

Actually yes, in fairness while I am taking a nice big crap in this thread I should say thanks to SMC as well and say you made this game exceedingly interesting and did an awesome job with the setup and everything.

Now lets just leave it at that and not get into any discussion regarding game balance and we'll be just fine and dandy. :biggrin:

This is one of my favorite movies and I really do love the fact that it came down to Macready and Childs in the end. The nerd in me can't get over how awesome that is.

The mafia nerd in me makes me jokingly ask SMC if that's just an awesome coincidence...Maybe CTM was onto something with the bastard mod theory?:Nuts:

Or were you guys just not given your character names? Just alignments and roles so that we could have this fitting finale?

Actually yes, in fairness while I am taking a nice big crap in this thread I should say thanks to SMC as well and say you made this game exceedingly interesting and did an awesome job with the setup and everything.

Now lets just leave it at that and not get into any discussion regarding game balance and we'll be just fine and dandy. :biggrin:

aye..

balancing games is tough.. especially with non traditional roles..

i personally don't ever do anything with % odds partially for the reasons you stated and partially cause i like this game as a logic puzzle, not reliant on chance.

i know however that doggin is big on % chances as are plenty of other mods..

And when you think about it, if we had lynched vic instead of you on that last day we'd have won, I guess (assuming you had converion blocks left). so it was right there for us..

Glad you liked it guys & gals. I had fun modding it.

Shutout, this was absolute coincidence it ended like this and I was more than happy it was. The movie characters were important to their roles.

MacReady being the cop and having the blood test.

Childs being a hothead and being the vigilante.

Copper the doc.

The conversions actually followed the movie closely. Heck, Clark was the first one killed and he was human. LOL

There weren't THAT many people who couldn't be assimilated, most who said they couldn't be were liars. Me and JiF only had one immunity a piece. JVOR was the only one completely uncovertable. Did it help balance things some? Sure, but not enough. But that's why the conversion % thing is a crock (and I'm not just saying in this game). Its SUPPOSED to balance things out, but when it comes to statistical percentages, while they always work out in the long run with a big enough sample, you can't take a small subset and expect for those numbers to always work out. Its all based on pure luck and if the luck falls too heavily in one direction, the balance goes right out the window. When there were 3 conversion in 4 phases, from there on out the game was unbelievably unbalanced. If not for Dan it would've been unwinnable at that point.

Just to clarify, I'm not actually mad, but I am completely pissing on the merits of a winning scum team who ended having over 50% of the game roster and still needed the game handed to them by a 3rd party on the last day. :biggrin:

I guess I'll let SMC field this but conversions weren't as easy as you're making them sound... we missed the last 6-7 times before hitting DanX... not only that but as we didn't know there were bulletproof townies we could have tried to convert the same person 10 times in a row assuming we were missing on our odds.

aye..

balancing games is tough.. especially with non traditional roles..

i personally don't ever do anything with % odds partially for the reasons you stated and partially cause i like this game as a logic puzzle, not reliant on chance.

i know however that doggin is big on % chances as are plenty of other mods..

And when you think about it, if we had lynched vic instead of you on that last day we'd have won, I guess (assuming you had converion blocks left). so it was right there for us..

That's true, we still had our chance. But it also involved us missing on only two lynches the entire game prior to that and having a vig who shot perfectly. At that point I'm pretty sure we had already wracked up enough dead things that we would've already picked up the win in a normal mafia game. Outside of me stressing out way too much over the last day, it was still a really fun game, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. Doesn't mean I'll ever give credit to the scum team in this one though. :biggrin:

I guess I'll let SMC field this but conversions weren't as easy as you're making them sound... we missed the last 6-7 times before hitting DanX... not only that but as we didn't know there were bulletproof townies we could have tried to convert the same person 10 times in a row assuming we were missing on our odds.

EXACTLY.

And I purposely didn't tell the Thing the reason their conversion attempts were unsuccessful.

So they tried to hit JVoR THREE TIMES! And all they knew was the odds were against them. They didn't know he couldn't be converted.

Awesome setup, but that dude's from Alien. Where is Brimley? lol

I know. I did that on person because he had the same mission in Alien as the character in my game. LOL.

I purposely kept out Blair because he was the final Thing.

In a 15 player game I would have 3 Thing instead of 2 and Blair would be 1 of them.

I swear for a minute i thought you were bastard modding you seemed to enjoy it so much :D

LOL.

Crusher PM'd me before hand about it. He thought he was going to be lynched soon so he asked me if he could use that defense.

I told him go ahead, do what you want, but I won't allow a vote on it. So he said what the heck & tried it.

I wanted to slap you upside the head for going along with it. LOL. That hurt you because it took some moral authority away from you after that.

LOL.

Crusher PM'd me before hand about it. He thought he was going to be lynched soon so he asked me if he could use that defense.

I told him go ahead, do what you want, but I won't allow a vote on it. So he said what the heck & tried it.

I wanted to slap you upside the head for going along with it. LOL. That hurt you because it took some moral authority away from you after that.

lol.. i've read through a bastard mod game a few years ago. It's totally legit.. I think doggin did it as a matter of a fact. The entire goal was to lynch the mod..

It's kind of amusing, everything i do people think i'm up to no good..i need a nice run of innocent roles to do some rep repair!

Archived