this year we find out if rex really can build, coach and lead an nfl team

neckdemon

rex is obviously making the moves to build and mold the team he wants here. there's no way we get rid of faneca, tj, washington, etc and bring in or draft the guys we have unless rex wanted it that way. so now he's putting his fingerprints all over the team and in year 2 with 2 offseasons behind him we will really get to see if he has what it takes to make this happen for th ejets after 40+ years of futility and heartbreak. genius or blowhard we will find out for sure come this year. now i'm not saying that it's superbowl or complete failure. but i expect to see a team that either wins the division or competes strongly for it, makes the play-offs wins a couple gamess and hopefully it to the championship game at least. what i don't expect to see is another team that barely squeaks into the play-offs. i need to see definitive improvement. and while the end result might not be the same i wan tto see the method improve greatly. i expect to see even better defense and i expect to see much improved offense. there's no reaosn why this shoudl not happen. and i expect to see all these moves not turn out to blow up in his fsace...because if they do he should be held accountable. this is his team now.....and he sink or swims with it, imo.

Very true, but really Rex's fate is tied into Sanchez's fate. Right now, I think Sanchez will turn out just fine.

true...but ryan picked sanchez. sanchez is definiteyl a big part of what i'm talking abotu when i say that these are rex's boys now. cromartie, tomlinson, poole, greene, taylor, holmes, edwards, etc etc. all of our cuts and replacements. this is rex's baby now. i fo rone have trust in him and think this is going to be fun to watch. but we will all find out. i didn't have much expectation for last year and it turned out much better thna i expected. but he needed a little luck for it to happen. not going to get quite so lucky this year.

it isn't his job to build the team, and lat year wasn't good enough for a rookie HC with a rookie QB ?

you're kidding yourself if you don't think every one of these moves are signed off on, or even initiated by rex ryan. if rex insists we need faneca then he's still here. this is his team now...and while it's not his "job" to build the team.....it is his team now and this is his time to shine. an di never said that last year wasn't good enough......but i expect to see improvement this year. and that doesn't mean superbowl...that means improvement in the play of the team.

We already found out that he can coach and lead. He had the number 1 defense without even having all his guys in place. He was 30 minutes away from the SB with a rookie QB.

He can lead and he can coach...

i agree....i believe in him too. but i can't pretend that there haven't been a few controversial moves made. so when i sit back and think about it i think this is his time to prove that he can be consistent. let's face it, in the nfl no team really stays the same year to year.....and it's a testament to the head coach when a team consistently contends year after year.

Anything short of making the Super Bowl will look like a failure. Period.

Thats a little dramatic we do still play in the same confrence as Peyton Manning, say what you want he has beat Rex up and down the field his whole career including when Rex had his D in place with Lewis, McCallister, Reed, Thomas, and so on.

I think its Division win and a playoff win or complete failure, if we lost again to the Colts in the playoffs cause Peyton is the best in the world at what he does I am not going to call for Rex's head or Mr. T's, and neither should you.

We already found out that he can coach and lead. He had the number 1 defense without even having all his guys in place. He was 30 minutes away from the SB with a rookie QB.

He can lead and he can coach...

We all know Rex is a great DC and he finally put to bed the notion that he was only a product of having great defensive players.

There is still an open question about whether Rex is a good HC.

I love Rex as a HC and think he's a defensive genius. But to be truly considered a good HC he needs consistency. This is a crucial year for him.

Parcells is the last HJets C whose team improved record wise after having a winning season. That means it hasn't happen in 12 freakin years.

If Rex is as good as we think he is, the Jets should be better than last year and post a better record.

Very true, but really Rex's fate is tied into Sanchez's fate.

it really is just as simple as this...Bill Belichick was a mediocre HC in Cle probably a year away from losing his job in NE when he struck gold and all of a sudden became a "genius" after Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe and a 6th round QB named Tom Brady turned him into one

it really is just as simple as this...Bill Belichick was a mediocre HC in Cle probably a year away from losing his job in NE when he struck gold and all of a sudden became a "genius" after Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe and a 6th round QB named Tom Brady turned him into one
I wonder how much the spying helped him too?

I know, that's all she's got, a one trick pony.

and it's not like "every Jets fan" thinks we're going to win the SB this year-we are a pretty plugged in fan base around here and know full well how many things have to be aligned just right with a bit of luck a call here or there and a missed one too. Injuries killed us at CB and RB vs Indy-we focking KNOW and have no illusions or positive expectations-unlike what Garb thinks that WE think-we already know

and it's not like "every Jets fan" thinks we're going to win the SB this year-we are a pretty plugged in fan base around here and know full well how many things have to be aligned just right with a bit of luck a call here or there and a missed one too. Injuries killed us at CB and RB vs Indy-we focking KNOW and have no illusions or positive expectations-unlike what Garb thinks that WE think-we already know
This is true, but she's like a broken record. :P

that's one thing i like about jets fans. i mean sure we have our homers....but if you ever glance at finheaven to see what's being said it's like one big circle jerk for the most part. it's sickening. at least it seems most jets fans who are into it enough to discuss the team, and football in general, on a message board, seem to have a decent amount of knowledge abotu the game. and for the most part, are realistic abtou what the team should be bale to accomplish. you read finheaven and most of those guys come across as completely stupid homers.

meh, the superbowl can be just as much about the team that gets hot at just the right moment, see the Cards from a few back.

I think division dominance is what we need to see. The pats still get the benefit of the doubt in everyone's mind, the Jets need to change that. We sweep the division and it knocks the pats off that pedestal, and i consider that to be a success. We really need to win the division handedly, not by backing in.

that's one thing i like about jets fans. i mean sure we have our homers....but if you ever glance at finheaven to see what's being said it's like one big circle jerk for the most part. it's sickening. at least it seems most jets fans who are into it enough to discuss the team, and football in general, on a message board, seem to have a decent amount of knowledge abotu the game. and for the most part, are realistic abtou what the team should be bale to accomplish. you read finheaven and most of those guys come across as completely stupid homers.

meh, the superbowl can be just as much about the team that gets hot at just the right moment, see the Cards from a few back.

I think division dominance is what we need to see. The pats still get the benefit of the doubt in everyone's mind, the Jets need to change that. We sweep the division and it knocks the pats off that pedestal, and i consider that to be a success. We really need to win the division handedly, not by backing in.

Agreed.

True.

Win the division handedly, then accumulate as many wins as possible to set us up for a first-round bye, and home field advantage.

We need to build a cold-weather team based on defense and running: check.

Then, we need to take advantage of that cold-weather team by ensuring that we play where we can take advantage of our cold-weather attributes, unlike last year where we played in San Diego and a dome.

You know how everyone says it'll only be official when we go to a SB?

Well, I'm not jinxing anything but hm....big money team, new stadium, newer coach everyone loves right now, new QB everyone's just lining up to worship at the altar of...new stadium....oh yea...and a new stadium...The stars are aligning...and not for that 2012 rubbish either....that would be the planets.

Very true, but really Rex's fate is tied into Sanchez's fate. Right now, I think Sanchez will turn out just fine.

This is really true. Rex has to do all the other things right, but it's a QB driven league and Sanchez will determine the Jets future.

This is really a ridiculous statement.

What do you even mean by it?

If we don’t win the SB this year we should give up on Rex?

Unlike Mangini I think Rex’s first year has bought him a lot of time with this team. I really do. I think he came in here, installed his own systems while bringing with it this whole new attitude this team was severely lacking, a belief and a swagger that goes against everything associated with the SOJ. Players will love to play for him; he’s one of the boys as Bart Scott said. That kind of relationship between players and coaches is pretty rare.

I love what he’s done so far. Its funny most of what I said seemed to apply to Herm too, yet in terms of football philosophies on the field they are completely different. Rex has some of the best most complex defensive schemes in the league that propelled our defense from a middle of the pack group to the best in the league in all defensive categories within one season. Yes this season means a lot but he’s accomplished so much in one year, got a bit of luck along the way no doubt but his impact was obvious. This team doesn’t have to win a SB next season – if we maintain what was good about the team last season this year and improve on the areas that were weaker then I’ll be satisfied. Obviously that means clear progress from Sanchez and the passing game. As others have said there is so many variables that go into winning SB’s – look at the Giants a few seasons ago. They weren’t anywhere close to the Patriots level over the course of the season and it was only in January where things really picked up. If the Jets are able to take over the AFC East and become a perennial playoff team then we give ourselves every chance of winning a championship, he’s off to a hell of a start, that’s the type of progress I want to see.

As somebody said in the Faneca merged thread this is young team built for the long haul. Now to the skeptical rival fans who come here that think the Jets have mortgaged their future by making the moves they have made are obviously not paying attention

Archived