Are the Jets Moving Donovan Warren to Safety?

Maxman

From thejetsblog.com

Posted on April 28th, 2010 by Bassett

Lebs is on a hot streak, catching some minor details on the Jets free agent / tryout list. While Donavan Warren was a shock to go undrafted, the former college cornerback looks to be listed for the Jets as a safety.

On the Jets list of undrafted free agent additions, they list Michigan cornerback Donovan Warren as a safety. While nothing is official yet, this is a strong hint that the Jets are moving the talented cover guy, who doesn

The most intriguing name the Jets added after the draft was Donovan Warren, cornerback from Michigan. He was a freshman All-American in '07 and continued to play well for the Wolverines. When he declared for the draft, Mel Kiper, Jr. said he would have been the first or second corner in the class of 2011 but wasn't a "sure-fire second-round pick." An ugly 4.62 at his pro day left him undrafted, but he's the sort of physical player Rex Ryan loves.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=6717

Yeah I saw an interview with Pool, he claims he got a concussion on his very first play in the NFL, and one last year. He says all the rest are migraines that run in his family. The symptoms are very similar.

He is a very good cover safety, who is also a good tackler. If he stays healthy he will be an over all improvement on Rhodes.

IDK though-isn't this the move so many of us thought they would make with Dwight Lowery and all these reports about "great cover skills but slow" also seem to mark Lowery to a tee

Yes, absolutely.

Jets obviously now have their top three CB positions locked up. Lowery is better than most of the haters here believe, and should be well suited to handle the #4 job. I figured that Warren would compete with Lowery for the #4 CB spot, and that the "loser" would be in competition for a slot with the safeties. Looks like maybe the Jets are already comfortable with Lowery, and are setting Warren up with the best chance to succeed by putting him with the safeties now.

Seems like a smart move to me. Either way, they're both competing for a spot in the dime package.

Yeah I saw an interview with Pool, he claims he got a concussion on his very first play in the NFL, and one last year. He says all the rest are migraines that run in his family. The symptoms are very similar.

He is a very good cover safety, who is also a good tackler. If he stays healthy he will be an over all improvement on Rhodes.

3 plays that stand out most in my mind of Rhodes last year was his inability to help Revis deep on Ginn, getting smoked by Welker and getting caught from behind "by a white guy" (as he said) after an INT that he should have scored on-why is that?

My guess is we keep Warren around as a special teamer and project at the FS position. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of the secondary (maybe Coleman will be gone?), but we DID have 11 DB's late into the offseason last year, and currently have at least 10 on the roster.

My guess is we keep Warren around as a special teamer and project at the FS position. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of the secondary (maybe Coleman will be gone?), but we DID have 11 DB's late into the offseason last year, and currently have at least 10 on the roster.

you know what the great Herman Edwards once said: "you can never have too many cornerbacks"

He also said, and I'm paraphrasing here: Trying to tackle Michael Vick is like being at the farm and chasing around a chicken!

the Gang Green had a great thread a few years back of Herm Edwards' greatest hits-it was hard to believe that this guy was actually our head coach

IDK though-isn't this the move so many of us thought they would make with Dwight Lowery and all these reports about "great cover skills but slow" also seem to mark Lowery to a tee

Lowery was faster. He claimed a 4.44 at the combine, but most quotes I saw had him at 4.55 and 4.7, with a 4.52 at his pro day. Warren can claim the ankle injury, but Lowery had a hamstring problem when he ran his. IMO, Lowery's skillset may lend itself more to zone and facing the QB. I remember a big deal being made about his film study and knowlege of the game when he was a rookie. As far as I've heard, Warren is a man to man guy that can't run. Maybe he can cover TEs.

the Gang Green had a great thread a few years back of Herm Edwards' greatest hits-it was hard to believe that this guy was actually our head coach

What I find hard to believe is that the Jets can still support such a booming website community without that morons quotes to go on and on about. Every press conference was a month of material.

Just found out via Twitter (Jason Davis) that Wilson will be #20 and McKnight #25

Richie Anderson! Scott Dierking!

As a Michigan fan I applaud moving Warren to S. Rich Rod did nothing for this kid the past two years and I'm happy to have him as a Jet, but in the NFL he does belong at the FS position. The knock on him always has been that his hips are too stiff. Will he be Ed Reed? No. But he could become a pretty good pro. He'll never be elite though.

And of course if the Jets were to get a rash of injuries at the Cornerback position he COULD step in and help to some extent.

In the games you have seen 124 did he look that slow?

Watching the games live? No. He stayed with almost everyone, especially on go-routes.

Which is why there is always the argument that the 40 time is crap because its track speed, especially for a Cornerback/Wide Receiver, because how often is the Wide Receiver running straight like that and even more so how often is the Cornerback running like that?

The issue is his hips and people say his hips are too stiff for the NFL, that he can't change direction as easily as a lot of teams would hope. For that, they assume he'll be a better Safety in the NFL, and he even played some Safety at Michigan, too. I think no matter where he plays, he'll be a decent-to-good player, but Safety is probably the better route for him.

I still can't see any way that this kid beats out Smith, Pool, or IDigs-he'll be a PSer and at best a STer who MIGHT get activated for a few games this year

I'm not saying he's going to jump in and replace Kerry Rhodes in the starting lineup, Jimmy, but I am saying I would be very, very shocked if he does not make this team because of his ability to play both CB and S.

He very well could kick Ihedigbo to the curb though if one S has to go to make room for Warren.

Yes, absolutely.

Jets obviously now have their top three CB positions locked up. Lowery is better than most of the haters here believe, and should be well suited to handle the #4 job. I figured that Warren would compete with Lowery for the #4 CB spot, and that the "loser" would be in competition for a slot with the safeties. Looks like maybe the Jets are already comfortable with Lowery, and are setting Warren up with the best chance to succeed by putting him with the safeties now.

Seems like a smart move to me. Either way, they're both competing for a spot in the dime package.

Rex and Tanny brought in a good cadre to improve competition in the secondary/special teams. Warren is a decent prospect but watch out for Brian Jackson...Oklahoma. Ran a very slow 40 (4.6) at the combine but excels at press coverage and run support. Walter Football and the Huddle Report also projected him at free safety in the NFL. Huddle compared him to Jairus Byrd.

Archived