Unforgiving Spotlight of Rookie Minicamp

flgreen

its funny how everyone is like Joe McKnight's defense lawyer.

"he's sick!" "it's only mini-camp" "it's May 1 what's wrong with you" "why do you hate Joe?" etc.

can't we just call it like it actually happens?

The dude showed up, looked ok but puked a couple times. Great talent, questionable work-ethic or "intangibles". That was his story before the draft, that's his story now. Just because we root for him doesn't change who he is and what he is doing.

"he's sick!" "it's only mini-camp" "it's May 1 what's wrong with you" "why do you hate Joe?" etc.

The dude showed up, looked ok but puked a couple times. Great talent, questionable work-ethic or "intangibles". That was his story before the draft, that's his story now. Just because we root for him doesn't change who he is and what he is doing.

Sounds like a reasonable value risk reward pick based on team needs. Good to see our Management reasoning when making draft picks is sound as can be.

Oh, sweet irony!

This coming from the guy who's still making excuses for Vernon Gholston two years later.

This is why I find it hard to take you seriously at times, Bit. You "call it like you see it" with Joe McKnight, which is fine and dandy, but the problem is that you're never consistent with your criticism of players. You can't rag on McKnight for "questionable work ethic" and then go out of your way to defend Terrence Cody's work ethic at every opportunity. It just looks ridiculous.

Now, I'll agree that McKnight looks like he was out of football shape (I'm not buying this stomach virus nonsense). But it's not like the guy came into camp 20 pounds overweight like a LenDale White. McKnight just needs to spend the next few weeks conditioning, which isn't a big deal at all. He has plenty of time between now and OTAs to get in football shape.

You can't rag on McKnight for "questionable work ethic" and then go out of your way to defend Terrence Cody's work ethic at every opportunity. It just looks ridiculous.

it would be ridiculous... if Terrence Cody puked in public.

people (mcknight supporters?) try to make this about Drob, gholston, cody or any other comment i made in the last 10 years.

The "logic" is bit was wrong about X, so he must be wrong about Y. Im not perfect. Im not saying anything other than this is not good. McKnight had a bad start.

Bit, if I recall correctly pronounced Greene a bigger bust then Gholston last year

wtf is this? i dont remember saying anything of the sort about Greene. i was worried about his injury prone-ness... and guess what he got injured in the biggest game of the year.

what this all boils down to is Jets fans don't want to hear anything negative, whether it's true or not. We live in a world of denial, so that when they inevitably lose we can go ballistic.

people (mcknight supporters?) try to make this about Drob, gholston, cody or any other comment i made in the last 10 years.

The "logic" is bit was wrong about X, so he must be wrong about Y. Im not perfect. Im not saying anything other than this is not good. McKnight had a bad start.

Actually, no. Nobody is trying to make it about anyone else. Rather, some of us are pointing out the hilarious irony of the fact that you're judging those who dare to defend a rookie who's had all of 3 practices as a Jet when you vehemently defend anyone who dares to question a guy who hasn't done anything in his two years on the team.

I purposely didn't bring Drob or Gholston into this discussion because the two have nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make.

I bring Cody up because you blindly defended his work ethic, 22 reps of 225lbs, his 370lb weigh-in at the Senior Bowl, him being gassed 15 minutes into practice at the Senior Bowl, etc and refused to knock the kid at all, claiming that he's the best NT prospect since Ted Washington.

But when Joe McKnight vomits and looks winded on his first two days of practice, you act like his career is in jeopardy and he

I purposely didn't bring Drob or Gholston into this discussion because the two have nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make.

I bring Cody up because you blindly defended his work ethic, 22 reps of 225lbs, his 370lb weigh-in at the Senior Bowl, him being gassed 15 minutes into practice at the Senior Bowl, etc and refused to knock the kid at all, claiming that he's the best NT prospect since Ted Washington.

But when Joe McKnight vomits and looks winded on his first two days of practice, you act like his career is in jeopardy and he

I was actually at those practices. Cody was not gassed. Played very well.

It's funny no one shows up and says hey Bit you know the guy in your avatar? great player.

Haters will hate. Get in line.

as for McK... take all the "shape" discussion out of it, i was also disturbed that he complained about his number. 25 he can't have because he's not Reggie Bush.

he's just not a professional football player right now. The kid is a mess. Can he get over it? yes he can. but my expectations get lower by the day. the sad truth is Danny Woodhead might very easily make this team again.

It's funny no one shows up and says hey Bit you know the guy in your avatar? great player.

as for McK... take all the "shape" discussion out of it, i was also disturbed that he complained about his number. 25 he can't have because he's not Reggie Bush.

he's just not a professional football player right now. The kid is a mess. Can he get over it? yes he can. but my expectations get lower by the day. the sad truth is Danny Woodhead might very easily make this team again.

I will agree mental toughness is a concern with McKnight. Most Jets fans were pretty high on the Dbrick pick a few years back...Our OL was a MESS the year before and we needed some new talent, and Dbrick seemed like a safe pick at a HUGE position of need. He didn't play anywhere near his potential his first couple of years in the league, and it took signing a vet pro-bowl guard in Faneca and hiring probably the best OL coach in the league in Callahan for him to start playing like the 4th overall pick he was. Listen, all thats important is that he got to that point and remains at that point, but I wouldn't go bragging about wanting to draft him.

I'm not hating at all -- I'm just calling them like I see them. I didn't bring up any of your previous evaluations, so I don't know where that's coming from. The problem I have, like I've stated, is that you get all over McKnight for being out of shape but defend Terrence Cody for being out of shape in the same breathe. It makes no sense.

Can we at least wait until camp opens to determine if this guy is "not a professional football player"?

As for your evaluation of Cody at the Senior Bowl, I'd say that you were in the minority of people who didn't think he looked gassed.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/941091.html

"From the flabby physique at the weigh-in to the poor conditioning that he showed on the practice field, Monday was a day to forget for Mount Cody. Measuring in at a disappointing 370 pounds, Cody

It's not a virus. He's out of shape and admittedly brought it up yesterday, he's throwing up because he's getting worked to the ground.

My thing is, how the ***** are you so out of shape when the combine and pro days just passed. Weren't you trying to work your tail off to get the highest draft grade possible?

To me, I think work ethic is going to be a problem.

LEON COME BACK!!!

Leon has a rod in his leg.

There is still an open question of whether he'll play in 2010.

The problem I have, like I've stated, is that you get all over McKnight for being out of shape but defend Terrence Cody for being out of shape in the same breathe. It makes no sense.

let me know when Cody pukes in public... not just once but at 2 practices in a row. Cody lost 35 pounds between SB and combine. He wasn't in great shape but tried to get better... and did get better.

Now it's McKnight's turn to get better. We will see. His conditioning or flu can't explain why he didn't want to wear #25. That's a sign of immaturity. He doesn't want to be Reggie Bush, wait til he finds out most Jets fans think Reggie Bush is a bust!

As for the others at the SB what some of these guys know about the defensive line can fill a puke bucket. I can only tell you what I saw.

Listen, all thats important is that he got to that point and remains at that point, but I wouldn't go bragging about wanting to draft him.

Brick was a 2006 draft pick who became a 2009 pro bowler. He's underrated by Jets fans.

let me know when Cody pukes in public... not just once but at 2 practices in a row. Cody lost 35 pounds between SB and combine. He wasn't in great shape but tried to get better... and did get better.

Now it's McKnight's turn to get better. We will see. His conditioning or flu can't explain why he didn't want to wear #25. That's a sign of immaturity. He doesn't want to be Reggie Bush, wait til he finds out most Jets fans think Reggie Bush is a bust!

As for the others at the SB what some of these guys know about the defensive line can fill a puke bucket. I can only tell you what I saw.

What? Terrence Cody weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 370 and weighed in at the combine at 354lbs. That's 16 pounds, not 35. I agree, he was in terrible shape and tried to get better.

Fine, fair enough. So he's immature. It's not like this guy is doing lines of cocaine off a stripper's @ss. He doesn't want to wear #25 -- but to look at this as a cause for concern is silly. Plenty of players have hangups on the numbers they wear; McKnight is hardly the first and will not be the last.

And Reggie Bush is a bust for a top 5 pick. If he was drafted in round 4, it'd be a different story.

And Reggie Bush is a bust for a top 5 pick. If he was drafted in round 4, it'd be a different story.

The dude has a ring, defenses have to account for him... if Reggie Bush is a bust... no one else stands a chance.

they gave Clausen #2 cause he was a 2nd rounder. They gave Marty Gilyard the 81 of Torry Holt.

Welcome to the NFL where your worst fears stare you in the face every day.

Oh please. Ad hominem tu quoque cuts both ways. If missing on D-Rob and Gholston doesn't hurt your reptuation, then hitting on Brick doesn't help it. If three days of practices in shorts and t-shirts is sufficient cause for you to go all Chicken Little about every one of McKnight's predraft concerns, then preaching forbearance in year three of the Gholston Era isn't going to fly anymore.

The dude has a ring, defenses have to account for him... if Reggie Bush is a bust... no one else stands a chance.

OK, now I actually know that you're out of your mind. He was the number two pick in the draft, and you think that someone who averages 485 yards rushing, 4TDs, 4.0 yards per carry, per year with with per year receiving averages of 483 yards, 3 TDs, averaging 7.4 yards per catch, is really worth the #2 pick in the draft? Because he happened to play on a team that won the Super Bowl?

Those are numbers you expect from middle rounders, not a number two pick. Those are good number for someone like Leon Washington -- not for a guy who was drafted in front of Vince Young, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Vernon Davis, Jay Cutler, Haloti Ngata, Antonio Cromartie, DeAngelo Williams, and Nick Mangold...

go all Chicken Little about every one of McKnight's predraft concerns, then preaching forbearance in year three of the Gholston Era isn't going to fly anymore.

If I admit gholston is about done... can I go chicken little on McK?

by the way expressing concern in anyway = chicken little. got it.

OK, now I actually know that you're out of your mind. He was the number two pick in the draft, and you think that someone who averages 485 yards rushing, 4TDs, 4.0 yards per carry, per year with with per year receiving averages of 483 yards, 3 TDs, averaging 7.4 yards per catch, is really worth the #2 pick in the draft? Because he happened to play on a team that won the Super Bowl?

Those are numbers you expect from middle rounders, not a number two pick. Those are good number for someone like Leon Washington -- not for a guy who was drafted in front of Vince Young, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Vernon Davis, Jay Cutler, Haloti Ngata, Antonio Cromartie, DeAngelo Williams, and Nick Mangold...

the only number that matters is rings. Should the Saints have taken Nick Mangold at 2 because he's an all-pro?

people look into numbers too much... Reggie Bush may not get Chris Johnson type numbers but he scares the opposition. That's what CJ Spiller will do as well. If the other defense has to account for play makers that opens up everything else.

If I admit gholston is about done... can I go chicken little on McK?

by the way expressing concern in anyway = chicken little. got it.

I was on board with the #25 thing and calling out the hear-no-evil brigade. Once you lapsed into confirmation bias and invoked the name of Danny Woodhead it was time to abandon ship.

the only number that matters is rings. Should the Saints have taken Nick Mangold at 2 because he's an all-pro?

people look into numbers too much... Reggie Bush may not get Chris Johnson type numbers but he scares the opposition. That's what CJ Spiller will do as well. If the other defense has to account for play makers that opens up everything else.

Dude, you just continue to spin any angle you can to prove an argument that's dead in the water. Running backs' value are based on production, plain and simple, and Reggie Bush's production compared to others at his position is average, at best. If he were a NT, I'd agree that numbers are overrated. But he plays a position where statistics tell the story way more often than not. Also, the Saints were ready to RELEASE Reggie Bush earlier in the year, so it's clear they don't seem to value him as much as you. The dude is sitting on a $51 million contract with something like $28 million guaranteed. He won't see half that on the open market, when he eventually hits it.

Also, the Saints were ready to RELEASE Reggie Bush earlier in the year, so it's clear they don't seem to value him as much as you.

they were gonna... but then they decided they wanted to win the Super Bowl with him instead.

I love all my stalkers from Westchester. They keep track of what I say so I don't have to. Thanks.

they were gonna... but then they decided they wanted to win the Super Bowl with him instead.

I love all my stalkers from Westchester. They keep track of what I say so I don't have to. Thanks.

This was after the Super Bowl, you DeWayne Robertson loving retard.

Archived