1998 Jets-Niners game on NFLN at 8.

redman81

**** you garrison hearst

I was so impressed that Mo Lewis caught up to him...I really thought he was gonna pop that ball out for a fumble when he came over the top with that club.

Came across this article. He got hurt and missed 2 games. Testaverde won both. Foley came back lost. And then they switched for good.

Foley reminds me alot of Clemens. Decent arm, but absolutely no athletic ability.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/13/sports/pro-football-jets-on-roller-coaster-ride-at-quarterback.html

The Jets went 0-3 when Foley started and 12-1 when Testaverde started.

Didn't Jamie Henderson pick off Steve Young in that game? I thought I remembered him getting his first career INT in that game.

Henderson was in college at that time.

The player you are thinking of is Kevin Williams.

Week 3, and I believe because Foley got hurt, again.

It was week 2 when he got hurt against Baltimore -- Vinny started weeks 3 and 4 and won both games - Foley came back in week 5 against the Rams and crapped the bed Vinny replaced him in the 3rd qtr I think and we had a small comeback but fell short -- Vinny started the rest of the games and would have won them all except for a choke job blown lead against the Colts and a young Peytom Manning.

If my memory serves me correctly.

Watching that reminded me of some of the really underrated great players that I miss. Besides from the obvious guys.

But V. Green and D. Ward never got the respect they deserved.

You're absolutely correct with the mention of how underrated Vic Green was. Monster hitter and playmaker, and once Parcells and Belichick were done with him, he was a COMPLETE Safety. VG and AG were two Jets I idolized and when I started playing football and was a DB, those were the guys I tried to be in my mind. Having said that, however....

Victor Green's run support in OT is the reason we lost that game. If you ever wonder how Hearst got to the sideline and up the field, thas all on Green, Jets were either in a Cover 3 or some kind of variation, where the S have alley run support, and consequently, is also the force player. Green came up, but instead of making an outside in tackle at the SF 8 and tackling Hearst with his right shoulder pad, he chose to go inside out and hit Hearst with his left shoulder, which caused him to get washed inside by the blocker and then bump the Jet LB to his right (can't tell who), thus giving up the outside for Hearst to spring up the field.

If Green keeps the force, there are enough guys on the other side who are flowing over that would have wrapped up Hearst once he tried to cut back away from VG.

Watched this game ...

One very minor observation ... I believe this was the first game that the Jets went back to the traditional Jet uniforms with the white helmets after years of wearing the green helmets.

In this game, they wore the "all whites", which is my favorite Jets uniform, but they also wore the white cleats with the solid green on top of their socks.

I wish they would go back to this "look" instead of the black cleats and the striped socks that they wear now.

Not real important but just something I noticed.

Archived