Seahawks waive LenDale White

Bruce Banner

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/28/seahawks.lendale.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

The Seahawks have waived running back LenDale White just weeks after the splashy draft-day trade that brought him to Seattle from Tennessee.

General manager John Schneider said Friday that "it became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks."

He did not elaborate.

The former USC star was seemingly getting a second chance as a pro in Seattle -- maybe to even become a starter again -- while being reunited with his former college coach, Pete Carroll. Issues with weight, work ethic and the emergence last season of Chris Johnson cost him his job with the Titans.

"I was a lot younger in my mind, honestly," the 25-year-old White said Monday of his early seasons in the NFL and with Tennessee. "I put myself in a lot of situations."

Now, he's in another one.

White posted this message on his Twitter page about an hour after the Seahawks made his release official: "God is good. All the time !!"

The Seahawks gave up on White after he had only limited chances to display his work ethic -- and months before he was even going to put on full pads. He participated in just one minicamp and a handful of organized team activities on the practice field before the team waived him.

White had lost more than 45 pounds last year, saying that when he stopped drinking tequila the pounds starting falling off. He was down to 220.

White said he wanted to get back up to 228 pounds for this season. Seattle's starting job seemed within his reach as Carroll opened every position to competition.

He missed one day of organized team activities this month. He said on Monday there was some "family stuff I had to take care of."

Agent Drew Rosenhaus did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages left by The Associated Press. He was on the phone late Friday afternoon with his client sorting out a confusing sequence in which the Seahawks put out an announcement on their website around noon that White had been released, only to take it down soon after.

Hours later, Schneider made it official in a statement released by the team.

Earlier this week, White said he felt great. He thanked Carroll for rescuing him from his dead end in Tennessee.

"Going from 'SC, back-to-back national championships to not playing at all, it's a life-changing thing," White said Monday. "But I'm still here. Pete gave me another chance.

"I don't think I've been this healthy since I was 18 years old."

Carroll said Monday that the team would see how everything fit together. "He's got a long ways to go to get back in here with this club, but we're going to certainly wait it out and see how it does," he said.

The wait lasted all of four days.

"It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program," Schneider said. "We wish LenDale all the best with his future."

Awesome.

2 trades.

1 RB (Leon) going on the PUP list.

1 RB got cut before mini-camp.

And they said the Jets were stupid for trading away Leon and Carroll was teh geniuzzzzz for winning teh draft. :rolleyes:

Carroll is wasting no time working on a trifecta of fail as an NFL head coach it seems.

I could see trading for Leon. That's a good risk vs. reward. They didn't give up much. But trading for White was a retarded. What did they think was going to happen. He's never had a good work ethic and the reason he dropped to the titans was because of his drug addiction.

Their saying he's going to get suspended for the first 4 games due to drugs. Just a rumor at this point. The Jets lead the league in pot heads already, if they can get this guy for free then do it. Trust me, he's better than Chauncey Washington.

Their saying he's going to get suspended for the first 4 games due to drugs. Just a rumor at this point. The Jets lead the league in pot heads already, if they can get this guy for free then do it. Trust me, he's better than Chauncey Washington.

Who said it's pot? guy is probably yacked out, he lost 45 pounds and has issues with work ethic

Awesome.

2 trades.

And they said the Jets were stupid for trading away Leon and Carroll was teh geniuzzzzz for winning teh draft. :rolleyes:

Carroll is wasting no time working on a trifecta of fail as an NFL head coach it seems.

:cheers: Here's to you Pete .

I could see trading for Leon. That's a good risk vs. reward. They didn't give up much. But trading for White was a retarded. What did they think was going to happen. He's never had a good work ethic and the reason he dropped to the titans was because of his drug addiction.

If I remember correctly , the Titans practically gave White away to the Hags so it really didn't cost Seattle much. How bad is it when your college coach trades for you then cuts your ass a month later ? Possibly totally done at age 25.

If I remember correctly , the Titans practically gave White away to the Hags so it really didn't cost Seattle much. How bad is it when your college coach trades for you then cuts your ass a month later ? Possibly totally done at age 25.

Moving down a few slots in the 4th and 6th rounds isn't exactly going to make or break a team's future, but unless Carroll knows something about Vickerson that we don't, that trade was a colossal waste of time considering this scenario was highly likely. If the guy was able to go Solazzo on Mays (rightfully so), there really was no reason for him to waste any time on White.

Say what you want about the rift between Jets and Pats fans, but the one thing we're probably all able to agree on is the refusal to acknowledge Pete Carroll as any sort of genius.

So who winds up as the 3rd down back in SEA? Brian Westbrook? Marshawn Lynch? I've read alot of speculative articles about Lynch landing with the USCHawks, but that would make as little sense as the original trade. Why would you jetison a guy with major charater issues and risk for suspensions and replace him with a carbon copy? Westbrook, I'm guessing.

Moving down a few slots in the 4th and 6th rounds isn't exactly going to make or break a team's future, but unless Carroll knows something about Vickerson that we don't, that trade was a colossal waste of time considering this scenario was highly likely. If the guy was able to go Solazzo on Mays (rightfully so), there really was no reason for him to waste any time on White.

Say what you want about the rift between Jets and Pats fans, but the one thing we're probably all able to agree on is the refusal to acknowledge Pete Carroll as any sort of genius.

USC fans might argue a bit with you , my GF being one of them. :biggrin:

I wonder what the story is. A suspension would make sense, otherwise why they would cut bait now is just odd.

The whole think reeks of something rotting. They only made the trade what 5 weeks ago ? What changed so quickly ? Did he test + yet again ? It IS odd.

Sorry Bro, not going to trust you on this one. White

The other thing that makes trading away draft picks for an un-recovered Leon Washington a HUGE FAIL for Pete Carroll... is the fact that he has Justin Forsett on that roster, who has the same exact skillset as Leon. :rolleyes:

I understand Jet fans being upset at Leon not being on the team, but I'm still shocked that they can't admit that the Jets were fortunate to unload him for something at all...

How bad is it when your college coach trades for you then cuts your ass a month later ? Possibly totally done at age 25.

Eric Dickerson had trouble with his old college coach, Ron Meyer, when he was first traded to Indianapolis, but he worked it out and had productive seasons afterward. Dickerson was never content, but he sounded like a thoughtful guy and I always thought the press took the NFL party line when dealing with him.

But if your college coach trades for you and then actually cuts you a few weeks later, I would say your careeer is likely over. And White is no Dickerson.

Yeah, just like Notre Dame fans would argue Lou Holtz was a genius.

Lou Holtz , IMO, is a total POS. When he was at ND a place kick recruit called him personnally to tell him he was going to Florida State and not ND but he thanked him for the offer. Mr. Classless Holtz's respoinse ..... " I hope you break both your legs and never kick again. " This to an 18 year old HS kid ! Real class that Holtz. :P

Awesome.

2 trades.

It seems so. Since LenDale quit the Henny he hasn't been the same.

Archived