Jets-Pats: Best Combined 53-Man Roster: Round 2

rick34125

large_jets-patriots416_medium.jpg

After having so much fun with a Jets-Phins roster, I decided to put together my best 53-man roster using the NY Jets and the New England Patriots.

With this roster, I assigned 24 spots for offense, 26 for defense and 3 for special teams. Same as with Miami, except on offense I chose one fullback and 3 tightends.

Overall, New England claimed 23 spots and New York claimed 30. New York had more starters with 14, compared to New England with 11.

Again positional depth could vary, but this roster is pretty conventional for a lot of teams.

I eliminated rookies from the roster who were drafted this year. I also eliminated seriously injured players, like Wes Welker, who are doubtful not only to return, but to return to their pre-injury form. Welker would certainly be a starter otherwise.

I enjoyed again making this type of roster and comparing players. Both teams are talented, but until proven otherwise New England is still the top of the division. Let's hope for some well-played games this season.

Enjoy the post. :)

trans.gif

The Jets-Pats 53-man roster; offense, defense and special teams:

Offense - 24/53 Players --- Pats: 4 starters, 10 players overall --- Jets: 7 starters, 14 players overall

Pos Starter 2nd 3rd

QB Tom Brady Mark Sanchez Kellen Clemens

RB Shonn Greene Kevin Faulk Laurence Maroney

FB Tony Richardson

WR Randy Moss Santonio Holmes Julian Edelman

TE Dustin Keller Alge Crumpler Ben Hartsock

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson Sebastian Vollmer

LG Logan Mankins

C Nick Mangold Dan Koppen

RG Stephen Neal Brandon Moore

RT Damien Woody

WR Braylon Edwards Jerricho Cotchery Brad Smith

Defense - 26/53 Players --- Pats: 5 starters, 11 players overall --- Jets: 6 starters, 15 players overall

Pos Starter 2nd 3rd

LDE Ty Warren Sione Pouha

NT Vince Wilfork Kris Jenkins

RDE Shaun Ellis Mike DeVito Mike Wright

LOLB Calvin Pace Bryan Thomas

LILB Jerod Mayo Bart Scott

RILB David Harris Gary Guyton

ROLB Tully Banta-Cain Jason Taylor Jamaal Westerman

CB Darrelle Revis Leigh Bodden Pat Chung

SS Brandon Meriweather Eric Smith

FS Brodney Pool Brandon McGowan

CB Antonio Cromartie Dwight Lowery Darius Butler

Special Teams - 3/53 Players --- Pats: 2 starters, 2 players overall --- Jets: 1 starter, 1 player overall

Pos Starter

PK Stephen Gostkowski

P Steve Weatherford

LS Jake Ingram

Jim Leonhard wasn't good enough to make the team?

Also Alge Crumpler is a beached whale. He's a pure blocking TE. I'd take Gronkowski over him (or Hartsock) on potential alone and he hasn't even been through a single practice with contact yet. No way I'd carry both Crumpler and Hartsock over him even though it's been several years since a 2nd round pick has panned out for the Pats.

Thought Pat Chung was a SS not a CB. Haven't really seen him in action so I don't know what the Pats do with him.

Some of the starters are toss-up's at best. I don't know that I'd have Mayo starting over a healthy Bart Scott, Wilfat over a healthy Kris Jenkins, or 34 year-old (in October) Stephen Neal over Brandon Moore. Also, while he did a more than admirable job at NT after Jenkins went down last year, I still might call it a toss-up at best choosing him over Gerard Warren at DE. And maybe it's just me, but I'd take my chances with the Pats' rookie over Weatherford. Banta-Cain is tough one to call as a starter; did he have a fluke year in '09 or did the light just finally click on where he not only got to the QB more but wasn't a liability in the ground game? 5 of his 10 sacks did come against Buffalo and I doubt he could effectively cover 290-lb Alge Crumpler. Against running teams, or ones with a decent pass-catching TE I would probably start Thomas. Against a pass-first team then I'd give the nod to Banta-Cain.

I will say it takes less effort to critique than to create these, so good job.

Jim Leonhard wasn't good enough to make the team?

Also Alge Crumpler is a beached whale. He's a pure blocking TE. I'd take Gronkowski over him (or Hartsock) on potential alone and he hasn't even been through a single practice with contact yet. No way I'd carry both Crumpler and Hartsock over him even though it's been several years since a 2nd round pick has panned out for the Pats.

Thought Pat Chung was a SS not a CB. Haven't really seen him in action so I don't know what the Pats do with him.

Some of the starters are toss-up's at best. I don't know that I'd have Mayo starting over a healthy Bart Scott, Wilfat over a healthy Kris Jenkins, or 34 year-old (in October) Stephen Neal over Brandon Moore. Also, while he did a more than admirable job at NT after Jenkins went down last year, I still might call it a toss-up at best choosing him over Gerard Warren at DE. And maybe it's just me, but I'd take my chances with the Pats' rookie over Weatherford. Banta-Cain is tough one to call as a starter; did he have a fluke year in '09 or did the light just finally click on where he not only got to the QB more but wasn't a liability in the ground game? 5 of his 10 sacks did come against Buffalo and I doubt he could effectively cover 290-lb Alge Crumpler. Against running teams, or ones with a decent pass-catching TE I would probably start Thomas. Against a pass-first team then I'd give the nod to Banta-Cain.

I will say it takes less effort to critique than to create these, so good job.

Against a passing team, I'd start Jason Taylor over Tully Canta-Play.

Otherwise, I agree with everything in your post.

Against a passing team, I'd start Jason Taylor over Tully Canta-Play.

Otherwise, I agree with everything in your post.

I thought of that also. I consider that a wash. Some may prefer Taylor and some may prefer TBC. I don't think after the 2009 season it's obvious which is a better pass-rusher. TBC had more sacks but he was probably on the field for more passing plays as well. Neither can cover worth a lick but TBC is now probably a little better vs the run (though the opposite used to be true). Even a passing team doesn't pass 100% - or even 80% - of the time, so I was comfortable with his choice of TBC as the better overall starter. Was too close for me to make a stink over anyway.

What my starting team would be assuming everyone is 100%:

QB - Tom Brady

RB - Shonn Greene

WR - Santonio Holmes, Randy Moss, Wes Welker

TE - Dustin Keller

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG - Logan Mankins

C - Nick Mangold

RG - Brandon Moore

RT - Sebastian Vollmer

DE - Ty Warren

NT - Kris Jenkins