Healthy Sanchez key to Jets' season

Larz

http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCEast/post/_/id/14105/healthy-sanchez-key-to-jets-season

By Sal Paolantonio

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets second-year quarterback Mark Sanchez is clearly making major strides coming back from the minor surgery on his left knee. But pay attention to the nuances of his progress and you can see he’s got more work to do.

nfl_g_msanchez1_300.jpg

Al Pereira/Getty Images

Mark Sanchez has been rehabbing his surgically repaired left knee, but is still limited in practice.

Case in point: Thursday’s OTA at the Jets’ practice facility here. Sanchez threw a nice back-shoulder 50-yard bomb that David Clowney caught after a slight adjustment. After Clowney waltzed into the end zone, Sanchez slapped his knee in frustration -- the ball should have been thrown in front of the wide-open receiver, requiring no adjustment at all. Last season, Sanchez might have made that connection perfectly.

But to really understand the progress Sanchez is making, it’s important to go back one play earlier. On a quick wide receiver screen to his right, Sanchez dropped back, planted his feet and seemed to lock his left -- surgically repaired -- leg in the grass. As a result, when the ball was released, it took a nose dive -- incomplete.

Quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh quickly came over to Sanchez and motioned with his throwing arm to keep the release point up to avoid having top spin on the football. The next play, Sanchez did exactly what Cavanaugh instructed and the result was the long touchdown pass to Clowney.

"I’d be lying if I told you I saw that," said head coach Rex Ryan, when asked about Cavanaugh’s subtle instruction to his young QB. "That’s why we have Matt."

Sanchez said it was no big deal. "They're pretty happy with my mechanics," he said. "I’m using my legs. My feet are under me. I’m driving the ball."

Sanchez is still limited. Seven-on-seven drills are no problem. But team drills are still a no-no. In fact, Sanchez sneaked into a team drill last week for one hand-off to a running back, and got reprimanded by Ryan, who got an earful from team owner Woody Johnson.

"Rex said, ‘Next time you do it, make sure Mr. Johnson is not out there,’" said Sanchez, who is attacking these practices with his trademark boyish bounce and grin.

Sanchez said he hopes to be ready for all team activities for a three-day minicamp beginning June 14. But Ryan stressed that Sanchez has not been given clearance by the team’s medical staff.

Despite the additions of some big-name veterans -- LaDanian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor and Antonio Cromartie -- Ryan knows this team will get only so far without a healthy Sanchez. That’s why he’s being careful. But so far he likes what he sees.

"He really knows this offense well," Ryan said. "All that time rehabbing the injury has been a blessing, because he’s been here with the coaches all the time. He looks fantastic. Last year, you saw a lot of positive things, but you also saw a lot of negatives. Right now, he’s throwing the ball great. He’s got such a great grasp of the system and that’s so encouraging to me."

"Now, I’m visualizing it," said Sanchez. "I’m seeing the concept. Audible mechanics. Route depth. Little nuances ... every day it’s feeling better."

Clearly, Sanchez should be ready for training camp in Cortland, N.Y., in July. He better be. That’s when the HBO cameras will be with the team 24/7 for the next installment of the "Hard Knocks" series.

The Sanchez star power certainly will be good for ratings, even though the headliner will be the media-friendly Ryan. The New York tabloids are already calling the show, "Rex in the City II," :) a sequel to last season's appearance in the AFC championship game in Ryan's rookie year as head coach.

Thanks for posting this, Larz.

It may be a figment of my imagination, but Sanchez looked bigger in his press conference today compared to this time last year. He said that last year he played around 225, but now he's at 230. Even with rehabbing his knee it looks like he was able to participate in the NFL weight training program.

It may be a figment of my imagination, but Sanchez looked bigger in his press conference today compared to this time last year. He said that last year he played around 225, but now he's at 230. Even with rehabbing his knee it looks like he was able to participate in the NFL weight training program.

no prob

230 is pretty big for a guy 6'1" or whatever he is

I was very happy to see this ... '"Now, I

Dude I thought I was the only one. He said he's around 230 in his presser. He definitely has been in the weight room.

Yeah, its going to suck that he'll have to learn a new offensive system next year.

Because Schotty will either be the wont of this team, and get himself fired... or he'll be HC for some ****ball team after getting a ring on Rex's coat tails.

i'll take the getting a ring scenario for $500 alex

Is QB really that important?

Favre was the best QB of the 90s and won one SB.

Peyton is the best QB of the 00s and won one SB.

Marino might have been the best QB of the 80s and won zero SBs.

I don't buy this the-QB-is-everything argument. Especially on a team like the Jets that has been built to run the ball.

I don't buy this the-QB-is-everything argument. Especially on a team like the Jets that has been built to run the ball.

Brady > Manning over the course of this past decade

Montana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marino in the 80s

Aikman won the most Super Bowls in the 90s and he is certainly no slouch.

If you wanna win, your chances are much better with a top flight QB. This Jets team might be good enough to win the big one in Sanchez's second year.

True, but it would help if Sanchez shows improvement in year 2. Can we win the Super Bowl with average QB play? Sure. But anywhere from good to excellent QB play all but guarentees us a title with the team that's been assembled.

It would also behoove us to upgrade at the backup QB position too, if at all possible. I don't want another 1999.

Montana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marino in the 80s

No offense, but you never watched a whole game of Marino in his prime. I think I speak for most Jets fans who hated every snap Marino took throughout his phag-philled career. The only joy I have over his career with Miami is knowing how much it burns him not having a ring, and how much it probably burns him that the all-time yardage and TD records are no longer his.

But rings or not, nobody >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marino. Not ever.

I still hate seeing his face every time it's on TV, either now as a commentator or back then peddling those piece of **** gloves. But the guy was unbelievably great. Waste of a career to have been on the Dolphins -- whatever the scumphags' shortcomings were, Marino wasn't among them.

Lucky there was no DirecTV back then because 2-3 regular season games a year was all I could stomach watching him making just about every defense in the league look horrible.

the game has changed BB-even from what it was in the last decade

Yeah, its going to suck that he'll have to learn a new offensive system next year.

Because Schotty will either be the wont of this team, and get himself fired... or he'll be HC for some ****ball team after getting a ring on Rex's coat tails.

I don't think it will be that different without Schotty Callahan will still be here and all the running plays and schemes will be exactly the same and if he or Cavanaugh are promoted to OC that just might incorporate a lot of things Schotty did IE same language and same bread and butter pass plays, so it shouldnt be that difficult.

No offense, but you never watched a whole game of Marino in his prime. I think I speak for most Jets fans who hated every snap Marino took throughout his phag-philled career. The only joy I have over his career with Miami is knowing how much it burns him not having a ring, and how much it probably burns him that the all-time yardage and TD records are no longer his.

I still hate seeing his face every time it's on TV, either now as a commentator or back then peddling those piece of **** gloves. But the guy was unbelievably great. Waste of a career to have been on the Dolphins -- whatever the scumphags' shortcomings were, Marino wasn't among them.

Lucky there was no DirecTV back then because 2-3 regular season games a year was all I could stomach watching him making just about every defense in the league look horrible.

You're right.

He just never won.

It's fairly well documented that Marino (and Manning) came up small in big games time and time again, that alone makes Montana better

It's fairly well documented that Marino (and Manning) came up small in big games time and time again, that alone makes Montana better

I'm not arguing that Montana was or wasn't better, or that some other than Montana weren't also better.

I'm saying I really don't think anyone was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marino, as it was put.

And in just about every playoff game he came up small in, the crappy Miami defense gave up at least 4+ touchdowns making the passing game a hell of a lot easier to defend. It's not quite the same thing to have to pass your way to victory when you've got a top-3 defense backing you up just about every year. The one season SF didn't have a top-10 defense (the norm for most of Marino's career), Montana wasn't so Montana-esque either.

Hey, I despised the guy (and still do), but he was amazing.

Montana was the better QB for the reasons you state.

But Marino was the "perfect" QB. Now, of course, you'd ask that if someone is perfect how can someone else be better?

By perfect I mean that if you would build a QB from scratch, it would likely look like Marino. He had the size, arm strength, release, and pocket awareness. I hated Marino as an opponent, but he was a joy to watch play the position.

I'd tune in to watch Montana and Elway late in the game to see if they would do something special to pull out a victory. I'd watch Marino for the whole game.

The ONLY thing Marino lacked was the personality makeup needed to be an elite QB. He had everything else. Too many times he'd refuse to run the ball or would let his ego go unchecked, leading to costly turnovers or forced throws when the team needed him to be more efficient. Hence, his great regular season success and pedestrian postseasons.

That's what set Montana apart. Say what you will about how he had a better coach and better talent around him, or even mention that a lot of people felt he was a jerk. But with 2 minutes to go in a game, there's no one else you would want to try to lead a comeback drive.

I'm not arguing that Montana was or wasn't better, or that some other than Montana weren't also better.

I'm saying I really don't think anyone was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marino, as it was put.

And in just about every playoff game he came up small in, the crappy Miami defense gave up at least 4+ touchdowns making the passing game a hell of a lot easier to defend. It's not quite the same thing to have to pass your way to victory when you've got a top-3 defense backing you up just about every year. The one season SF didn't have a top-10 defense (the norm for most of Marino's career), Montana wasn't so Montana-esque either.

Hey, I despised the guy (and still do), but he was amazing.

Great post. I watched almost every game Marino ever played, and he definitely belongs in the top 3-5 QBs ever. I dont buy the Montana won SBs logic b/c Montana's teams were far superior to anything Marino had. By that thnking, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Phil Simms are better than Marino also. Marino played without a defense or a running game for most of his career, thats why he didnt win a SB, or at least contend on a more consistent basis.

Montana was the better QB for the reasons you state.

But Marino was the "perfect" QB. Now, of course, you'd ask that if someone is perfect how can someone else be better?

By perfect I mean that if you would build a QB from scratch, it would likely look like Marino. He had the size, arm strength, release, and pocket awareness. I hated Marino as an opponent, but he was a joy to watch play the position.

I'd tune in to watch Montana and Elway late in the game to see if they would do something special to pull out a victory. I'd watch Marino for the whole game.

Montana and Elway were both pretty spectacular for the whole game as well. You don't ring up the W/L records the way they did without being great from the opening kickoff to the final gun.

Marino had a ****load of 4th quarter comebacks himself, as many or more in fact than Montana and Elway. The difference is, Montana and Elway had theirs on bigger stages. Marino didn't get it done when it mattered most. That's what separates Montana and Elway from Marino from that era.

Archived