Darrelle Revis Contract Issue: MERGED

flgreen

Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?

• Yes. He's not a good public speaker anyway.
    • No. He's being shrewdly advised that this will help him feed his family.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This whole core thing is my Jets fan-dom on the line. If the Jets step up and keep the core (or at least try) they'll have my respect. If they don't... if they think NO Guarunteed money is a good deal for Revis... im walking away until Woody dies or sells the team. I've loved this team since Ive been little...t his is a step too far.

You said this when they traded Ratliff too.

Oh.

Wasn't you?

Weird.

Sound just like him.

Revis A Castaway On His Own Island

Jets Star Defensive Back Has Lost His Way With Contract Negotiation Tactics That Have Left Bad Taste In Many Mouths

By JEFF CAPELLINI, WCBSTV.com Senior Sports Producer

NEW YORK (CBS) ―

Megan Fox -- Then & Now Celebrity Real Names...Revealed! Hottest Female Athletes Hottest Celebrity Moms Celebs Who Lean To The Right Best Picture Blunders Scarlett Johansson -- Then & Now Jessica Simpson: Then & Now

Related Stories

Jets' Revis Sits Out Some Plays In Protest

(6/14/2010)

NJ: We're Hosting The Next Super Bowl, Not NY

(6/1/2010)

So when exactly did Darrelle Revis decide to become that guy?

Sure, Jets coach Rex Ryan emerged from a meeting with his all-world defensive back and told anyone who would listen that things are just groovy between the two. Understandably, Ryan wants everyone to think that Revis' contract situation will not be a distraction as the Jets embark on a crucial summer that will go a long way toward positioning them for a run at a spot in Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

That's garbage. Ryan never should have felt compelled to have the sit-down in the first place. If fans think Revis is just going to forget he wants somewhere in the neighborhood of $16 million per season in a new contract they are kidding themselves.

The Green Lantern Sports Blog

This issue will fester because Revis suddenly is no longer the guy we all thought he was. He's gone from a player who was lauded for his unbelievable exploits on the field and gentlemanly conduct off it to someone who's now no different than the countless me-first guys to come before him.

And if there's one person who should feel betrayed by Revis' ridiculous behavior over the last week it's Ryan.

Let's clear up a few things.

First off, there's no question Revis deserves every last penny he's asking for. He was, for all intents and purposes, the best defensive player in the NFL in 2009. He has every right to feel frustrated that his money team and football team have not yet seen eye to eye on a contract that will keep him in green for the next decade and make him among the highest paid players at his position in the game.

Second, the Jets deserve some of the blame for this sordid affair because they were the ones who agreed to go against their grain and re-open contract discussions. If you believe what you read General Manager Mike Tannenbaum told Revis after the AFC Championship game loss to the Colts that the organization would reward Revis for being the stud that he is.

Third, everything seems to suggest locking up Revis long term is not only the right thing to do but should be the Jets' primary priority, even though there are several other key players on this team that must be resigned at some point as well. Nick Mangold, don't fret my friend. We all know you deserve every dollar you want. David Harris, ditto. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, we've got your back, too, big guy.

The problem here is how Revis has handled the situation. He's gone from being class personified to acting more like Brandon Marshall. Gone are the days of the quiet leader who lets his game do the talking. They have been replaced by stunts and Rod Tidwell-esque shenanigans that have left everyone in Jets Nation frustrated and worried.

By actually admitting he embellished injuries and took plays off during mini camp as a sort of protest against the lack of a satisfactory contract offer, Revis instantly became Terrell Owens.

He became a cautionary tale about what individual success and sense of worth can do to the team dynamic.

He turned his back on his biggest supporter. Ryan has gone out of his way at every turn to tout Revis as the greatest defensive player in the league. Now, some will say by doing that Ryan put the Jets in a corner, leaving them with no choice but to tear up the final three years left on Revis' current deal and give him some sort of a record deal.

But what's the guy to do? Ryan loves his players and his players love him for precisely this type of public affection.

Revis pulled a bag over Ryan's head by faking injuries, leaving the good-natured and loyal coach feeling like a schmuck, publicly embarrassed and searching for his own words during press conferences.

And what Revis doesn't seem to understand here is he can't play both sides of the fence. His interviews have been borderline comedy: Oh, I want this. In fact I deserve this and I'm going to do what I have to do to get it, but at the same time I don't want anyone to think I'm a bad guy.

Sorry man. You are the bad guy.

Revis needs to understand people would be more inclined to respect him for holding out for his dollars instead of playing games in front of his teammates, the fans and the media.

Darrelle, you have three years left on your deal. If the Jets are not meeting your expectations -- as most everyone thinks they should -- then sit out a year. Be a man about it. I think you'll find that public perception will be on your side because you are that good, that important, a face of the franchise who must play an integral role if the Jets are to end their four decade-plus run of championship futility.

Don't pull this adolescent nonsense. What purpose does it serve other than to hasten your exodus from New York and label you as a malcontent?

Do us all a favor: tell your handlers to back off. Whoever is whispering in your ear and patting you on the back for making a public spectacle of yourself for all the wrong reasons needs to be on the unemployment line.

And if this charade is all you, grow up.

You'll get your money, but first give us back our guy.

If you don't then you may one day find out how truly lonely it is on Revis Island.

Email Jeff your thoughts and follow him on Twitter at @GreenLanternJet

After an hour heart-to-heart Wednesday afternoon in Rex Ryan 's office, the latest Darrelle Revis behavioral saga is officially over. Two days after Revis' brief "sick-out" to display his anger at the slow pace of contract negotiations, the coach and the cornerback pronounced themselves on the same page.

Now it remains to be seen whether it will have any bearing on Revis' long-term future. Or whether Revis will begin to realize that the team really is ready to make a huge investment in the 24-year-old star. More on that in a minute.

For now, it's all good.

"Being one of the leaders on this team, and showing guys how to do things right, a lot of young guys are looking up to me," Revis said after practice at New Meadowlands Stadium.

Message received.

"We had a great talk, and we're on the same page, seeing eye to eye," Ryan said. "We have the same goals and the same vision for this team."

Even so, there's no guarantee Revis will resolve his contract situation soon. And Ryan admitted that there's no telling whether Revis will report to training camp on time. The contract situations of several core players remain at issue, including disgruntled center Nick Mangold, tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and linebacker David Harris .

Revis is clearly front and center, and there has been no movement in talks aimed at a new deal. But there are a few things you should know that might influence the perception - created largely by Revis' and Mangold's critical comments - that the Jets are unwilling to invest significant money in their core players.

According to sources familiar with the situation, the Jets are willing to reward Revis with the biggest contract ever given to a defensive back, one that could even exceed $100 million.

Not only that, but the team is further along in negotiations with Ferguson on a long-term deal than is widely known. An agreement could be reached before the start of training camp, barring unexpected complications, according to people familiar with Ferguson's situation.

Mangold and the team aren't close to reaching a new deal, however. And although the Jets appear willing to invest in the center long-term, they also are leaving open the possibility that they'll let him play this season with his current contract and use the franchise tag next year, thereby limiting his options in 2011.

Harris isn't expected to get a new deal this year, but the team is likely to reward him with a deal next year that will make him one of the league's highest-paid linebackers.

For now, Revis continues to be under the most scrutiny, and he continues to demand a deal that will exceed Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's three years for $45.3 million. The Jets are unwilling to meet Revis' demand for an average of $16.2 million per season.

What the Jets appear ready to do instead is add six years to the existing deal, a total package that, when added to the remaining $21 million Revis is owed would approach $100 million or more. That deal, which would average around $12 million per season, would keep Revis with the Jets until he is 33.

Revis told me after practice he didn't want to get into specific numbers. "I'm just trying to stay focused," he said. He added, however, he stands by his demand that his contract's yearly average must exceed Asomugha's.

So despite yesterday's détente, Revis still isn't convinced the Jets are showing loyalty. Funny, but how is a team not showing loyalty by going to a player with three years left on his contract, and then offering him a deal worth more money than most athletes will see in a lifetime?

If that's not loyalty, then what is?

What the Jets appear ready to do instead is add six years to the existing deal, a total package that, when added to the remaining $21 million Revis is owed would approach $100 million or more. That deal, which would average around $12 million per season, would keep Revis with the Jets until he is 33.

This is where I thought we'd end up with before Revis made his little line in the sand. It's on par with Jared Allen's deal and a little more than DeMarcus Ware's deal. Both of them, like Revis, are and will continue to be defensive MVP types, so that sounds like the right neighborhood.

It sounds like that $13.75/yr number that was rumored before, over the six years after his current (plus buyback) deal is done. So over the last 7 years of the deal the average would be $97.5M (about $14M even).

If they guarantee enough of it ($30M+) then it should be over unless Revis is just that greedy. Aso's deal didn't guarantee $30M. If Revis is that stubborn about the average when non-guaranteed years are included, then add another year at $30M to the end of the contract to bring the average up.

This is where I thought we'd end up with before Revis made his little line in the sand. It's on par with Jared Allen's deal and a little more than DeMarcus Ware's deal. Both of them, like Revis, are and will continue to be defensive MVP types, so that sounds like the right neighborhood.

It sounds like that $13.75/yr number that was rumored before, over the six years after his current (plus buyback) deal is done. So over the last 7 years of the deal the average would be $97.5M (about $14M even).

If they guarantee enough of it ($30M+) then it should be over unless Revis is just that greedy. Aso's deal didn't guarantee $30M. If Revis is that stubborn about the average when non-guaranteed years are included, then add another year at $30M to the end of the contract to bring the average up.

Yup, at that point it is just a horse and pony show. If his ego is that large that he has to have the tag of 'highest paid defensive back", there are ways to conveniently manipulate that.

I like how you just gloss over basically the only point of contention. Save for Revis's patently retarded insistence that we rip up a deal with three years left for a guy who already sold us his leverage, the parameters are fairly straightforward.

http://footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-show-revis-money

If you can honestly tell me that you'd rather have Mangold for megabucks than a given draft's top center for a late 1/early 2 and a rookie deal then you've just plain lost it. Paying top dollar for an interior lineman is like swatting flies with nuclear warheads. Gets the job done, in spectacular fashion even, and is still a ridiculous waste of limited resources.

actually I'd liken your outlook more like saying "why go to an experienced barber, i can go to supercuts for 20 bucks, it's just as good" ... or "I'll just get my suit at sears, that will impress them at the interview" these guys mack, kahil, pouncey can't even carry Mangold's jock. He's clearly in another tier.

the center of the OL is a premium position, he makes the blocking calls and Mangold has to go 1-on-1 with 3-4 NT who are beasties. Look at Mangold after a game it's like he's fought a war. THe first time Wilfork eats Rob Turner's lunch and falls on Sanchez the Jets would regret losing Nick Mangold. He's as rare a player as there is... despite his not playing a glory position.

I like how you just gloss over basically the only point of contention. Save for Revis's patently retarded insistence that we rip up a deal with three years left for a guy who already sold us his leverage, the parameters are fairly straightforward.

http://footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-show-revis-money

Are you purposely being argumentative for the sake of being so or do you seriously not know how extensions work? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll guess the former.

Naturally, you give him an extension with up-front money today (and next year as well), while leaving his current deal intact.

Then his "take-home" for this year is $15-20M (all but $1M of it new bonus $), $5-10M next year (all but $5M new bonus $), $9-15M the last year of his current deal (probably $15M if he plays anywhere close to last year's level), and then the new "salaries" are about $8-10M thereafter. Can probably throw some other reachable incentives in there on top of that.

Surely if I can think of that, it's more than occurred to Tannenbaum.

Are you purposely being argumentative for the sake of being so or do you seriously not know how extensions work?

How it works with the void-out, buyback, and a reasonable interpretation of the statement that our last offer didn't include any guaranteed money? I'd be lying if I said I do. Enlighten me.

How it works with the void-out, buyback, and a reasonable interpretation of the statement that our last offer didn't include any guaranteed money? I'd be lying if I said I do. Enlighten me.

Clearly the Jets will have to do better than $0 guaranteed money on the extension, as I already outlined above. If Revis isn't going to get any more guaranteed than he's currently got, then he might as well play under his current deal and then hit FA. But a signing bonus is guaranteed since he gets it at the signing.

Clearly the Jets will have to do better than $0 guaranteed money on the extension, as I already outlined above. If Revis isn't going to get any more guaranteed than he's currently got, then he might as well play under his current deal and then hit FA. But a signing bonus is guaranteed since he gets it at the signing.

Didn't think so.

Im still waiting for someone to explain how Patrick Willis, Demeco Ryans and Jahri Evans can get huge deals while REvis sits... the teams all operate under the same rules.

I forget which one of those three drew a line in the sand and said "I must get $16.3M per season" and then received it. Any of those who did would still be unsigned, and all 3 of their mega-deals are still LESS THAN HALF of the demands as set forth by Revis.

Demeco Ryans and Jahri Evans were free agents. Willis was entering his final season. Revis is 3 years away from free agency. It is not a minor point.

Patrick Willis is (clearly) the best player on SF's defense. But if he wanted $12M or $16M per season he would still be playing under his rookie deal.

The Jets have brought in a lot of high-priced players who are going to continue to make a lot of money on their deals. Maybe if the Jets had Drew Brees for $6M per year less than Mark Sanchez and Marques Colston for $3M their future cap concerns would be somewhat alleviated.

It's June 18th and you're already crying foul. You didn't cry foul over DRob for how many years in a row?

Woody Johnson is not too broke to re-sign our players. Give it and the rest of the conspiracy theories and the NYJ-are-always-in-the-wrong propaganda a rest. It's old already.

If these guys end up on another team then bitch about it. No NFL team would offer Revis $16.3M per season to play cornerback with an unknown cap situation coming up, let alone when he's already locked up for the next 3 seasons.

If you can find one example of a player - a non QB at that - who had 3 years left on his contract, and the team tore it up to replace it with a deal that's 1/7th of the previous season's salary cap limit, you let me know.

And Revis, great as he is, is not as valuable as Peyton Manning. No one other than you, Revis, and those who represent him think so. It's so absurd it doesn't even require further comment.

Apparently you believe, should there be a salary cap in the future, that the Jets will not be required to adhere to it. That or you're OK with the Jets turning into the Raiders as long as it satisfies your sense of justice that select individuals get paid anything they want by this franchise.

Did you figure it out yet? I'm thinking it has something to do with a conflict between the uncapped year rules and the amortization rules with regard to rigging some kind of lockout-proof convertible roster bonus. But then I'm just being willfully dumb.

Even if he doesn't make money by sitting out... he doesn't have to put his body thru the meat grinder for 3 years... there's no reason he HAS to do that. What's the cost of a lifetime of medical bills? Not being able to bend down and play with your kids pain-free? He's risking himself every single game, he doesn't have to do that for less money than he feels he is worth. Revis is not Cro, he doesn't have 7 kids or Mike Vick with creditors bearing down. REvis could just walk away. He's stubborn and that's why he's an all time great player.

Im still waiting for someone to explain how Patrick Willis, Demeco Ryans and Jahri Evans can get huge deals while REvis sits... the teams all operate under the same rules.

Oh and Aten, you just said Nick Mangold, the best center in the game, the best interior OL in the game, leader of the league's #1 rushing attack isn't worth the money?

I cry for the Jets if they think like you. If they let a first team all pro best in the game, possible all time great walk cause they are cheap I will flat out lose it.

This whole core thing is my Jets fan-dom on the line. If the Jets step up and keep the core (or at least try) they'll have my respect. If they don't... if they think NO Guarunteed money is a good deal for Revis... im walking away until Woody dies or sells the team. I've loved this team since Ive been little...t his is a step too far.

Bitonti serious question (and I asked this of you on JI as well), but if the Jets do start signing these players to extensions, will you say you were wrong about the cheap/cash poor subject?

No offense, but over the last month, I've seen you spread the Jets are cheap and/or cash poor rhetoric that Bart Hubbich also seemed to share. Anytime a contract/negotiaton thread comes up, its basically the same thing like a broken record. And yet when potential reasons that the contracts haven't gotten extended as of yet (30% rule preventing a large salary increase, the potential that the salary cap could be significantly lowered, tough negotiations, etc) you haven't really counterargued except to say that there is no cap and the extensions should have already been signed (all but ignoring the presented arguments).

I'm not trying to attack as we're all entitled to our opinions (and maybe I just have my head in the sand on this whole situation), but without counterarguments to those points it just comes across as stirring the pot. And this argument in particular is a sensitive area as many people (myself included) are not willing to root for the NFL's answer to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

FTR, I haven't taken the Jets side blindly on any of these contracts. Revis needs to have a lot of guaranteed money. Mangold needs to be signed not only because of his value, but because of how many contracts end next year. I believe its hypocritical for any fan to tell a player to honor their contract when that same person will scream that an aging/underperforming/injured player should be cut.

Bitonti serious question (and I asked this of you on JI as well), but if the Jets do start signing these players to extensions, will you say you were wrong about the cheap/cash poor subject?

I will... gladly. Until then, money talks and bullcrap walks.

I will... gladly. Until then, money talks and bullcrap walks.

You root for the laundry. I mean that in the declarative, not imperative sense. You, personally, root for the laundry and I know this because you say it all the goddamn time. Yet here we are with any number of valid reasons for not throwing money around indiscriminately and you profess that the Jets' failure to do so has you questioning your fanhood. Please.

Did you figure it out yet? I'm thinking it has something to do with a conflict between the uncapped year rules and the amortization rules with regard to rigging some kind of lockout-proof convertible roster bonus. But then I'm just being willfully dumb.

Did I figure what out yet?

You said the problem with offering an extension was that Revis wants his current deal torn up because he only makes $1M this year and has $0 guaranteed. The Jets can offer him an extension today that tacks onto his current deal. To that they can put up bonus money this year, increasing his 2010 take-home pay. Some bonus money could also be added next year as well. Combine new bonus money with the guaranteed $20M for buying back years 5 and 6 of his current deal and you should have over $30M guaranteed.

You were being argumentative on purpose. You know perfectly well that, under normal circumstances, when an extension to a current deal is signed it is always accompanied by up-front or guaranteed money. Barring that, there is no sense in the player signing said extension since it offers security for the team but none for the player.

So what is your question?

Yet here we are with any number of valid reasons for not throwing money around indiscriminately and

Im trying to figure out why you care about Woody's money? Are you his accountant? Where were you when he was making Alan Faneca the highest paid OL in football? Or giving wrangler jeans Brett Favre 15 mil for 1 year?

All i care about is that the 4 all-pro type players get taken care of... i dont care if the Jets "overpay" on young talent this good. What's the downside they gave "too much" money to a young Pro Bowler, BFD.

You all know me, and my love for the draft. What's the point of drafting the best player at a position or a once in a generation type of talent, to only let em walk? Im talking about Mangold as well as Revis here. They gotta sort it out... so far they haven't done anything but talk.. leak.. and muddy the waters... like this DBrick thing... they aren't even talking to Dbrick but they leak stories that they are to play with Revis' team. It's alot of bull crap and not alot of action.

Until the action happens, by the way, my statements still stand: They either are cash poor or dumb. These deals should have happened months ago. Until someone signs we have no reason to believe otherwise, that the Jets are financially healthy, Woody is still super rich and just being frugal. Yeah right. when have they been frugal? why be frugal with the league's best defender? It just doesn't make sense.

You can't unintentionally be this obtuse... at least I hope not.

did u read the rest of the post or just the first line? It just doesn't make sense that all of a sudden the Jets are financially prudent. They weren't prudent when they were bleeding money to free agents. meanwhile the homegrown talent is getting the shaft... and they are actually better younger players.

Pretty sure I just won.

why did the Jets sign Revis this afternoon?

here's a fun fact the Jets have not made 1 single player move that cost them money this entire offseason. Not a single red cent more than 2009. Everything has been a cost savings.

did u read the rest of the post or just the first line? It just doesn't make sense that all of a sudden the Jets are financially prudent. They weren't prudent when they were bleeding money to free agents. meanwhile the homegrown talent is getting the shaft... and they are actually better younger players.

Though I should've stopped, I unfortunately did read the rest.

Please answer me these questions:

- what percentage of the unknown cap figure does $24 million account for?

- when have the Jets, under Woody Johnson, not spent up to the cap figure on player contracts?

Did you read Sperm Edward's post above, or do you just ignore every post that completely pwns your stupid argument?

Revis should have been resigned in Feb.

Where in the "being an NFL GM" rulebook does it say that? I'm sure Tanny is so sorry he couldn't take time out of his busy schedule (wheeling and dealing for guys like Antonio Cromartie, Brodney Pool, getting rid of Rhodes, preparing for the draft, etc.) to meet the demands of a guy who has 3 years left on his contract.

- what percentage of the unknown cap figure does $24 million account for?

- when have the Jets, under Woody Johnson, not spent up to the cap figure on player contracts?

- there is no cap in 2010.

- I don't know but there's a first time for everything.

prove me wrong Woody, I'm dying to be wrong on this...

PAY REVIS

PAY MANGOLD

PAY DBRICK

PAY HARRIS

PAY THE CORE 4!

Where in the "being an NFL GM" rulebook does it say that?

Keep your best players, the ones that are super elite, possible Hall of Famers, happy. Not all of em... not even most of em... just the handful that, if they hold out could flush the whole season down the drain. It's gotta be in the rulebook somewhere...

Keep your best players, the ones that are super elite, possible Hall of Famers, happy. Not all of em... not even most of em... just the handful that, if they hold out could flush the whole season down the drain. It's gotta be in the rulebook somewhere...

And Tannenbaum has every intention of re-signing them. The latest reports say Revis is about to get an upwards of $100M record-breaking deal and Ferguson's new deal is coming up shortly. So what are we arguing?

No offense, but over the last month, I've seen you spread the Jets are cheap and/or cash poor rhetoric that Bart Hubbich also seemed to share. Anytime a contract/negotiaton thread comes up, its basically the same thing like a broken record. And yet when potential reasons that the contracts haven't gotten extended as of yet (30% rule preventing a large salary increase, the potential that the salary cap could be significantly lowered, tough negotiations, etc) you haven't really counterargued except to say that there is no cap and the extensions should have already been signed (all but ignoring the presented arguments).

I'm not trying to attack as we're all entitled to our opinions (and maybe I just have my head in the sand on this whole situation), but without counterarguments to those points it just comes across as stirring the pot. And this argument in particular is a sensitive area as many people (myself included) are not willing to root for the NFL's answer to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

FTR, I haven't taken the Jets side blindly on any of these contracts. Revis needs to have a lot of guaranteed money. Mangold needs to be signed not only because of his value, but because of how many contracts end next year. I believe its hypocritical for any fan to tell a player to honor their contract when that same person will scream that an aging/underperforming/injured player should be cut.

This might be the greatest post of all time. POTW nomination right here (does JN still do that?). Bitonti just spews BS throughout the board -- when someone methodically dismantles his argument (which always happens), one point at a time, he just sticks his head in the sand, completely ignoring any possibility that he might not be the "draft daddy" he thinks he is.

When someone takes the time to respond to his arguments like an adult, he dodges them quicker than Kerry Rhodes dodged contact. He's on the same level as a PatsFanTX -- the only difference is that, when push came to shove, PatsFanTX actually knew the NFL, whereas Bitonti just acts like he does.

And Tannenbaum has every intention of re-signing them. The latest reports say Revis is about to get an upwards of $100M record-breaking deal and Ferguson's new deal is coming up shortly. So what are we arguing?

it depends on what reports you read.

I read DBrick's not even in negotiations, as in 0 communication... none whatsoever. so why should we believe Revis has a 9 figure deal brewing?

I can't believe anything at this point, unless it's a core player signing a new contract.

Archived