Darrelle Revis Contract Issue: MERGED

flgreen

Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?

• Yes. He's not a good public speaker anyway.
    • No. He's being shrewdly advised that this will help him feed his family.

Here's a hint. It rhymes with shmollective shmargaining shmagreement. Your obvious response: one guy isn't going to make that much of a difference. Mine: the **** you know that. Between the conduct policy and RFA limbo and everything else, the owners have the players over a barrel and there's really no telling what could happen. Upshaw ruined everything.

Exactly.

Without a CBA in place the Jets have no way of knowing if the deal will even be allowable under whatever kind of CBA they put in place. I think they miscalculated in approaching Revis right after the season thinking a new deal would be in place by now which tells me it ain't too far off despite what the media says.

Whatever happend, expect the rules to change... a lot. Expect to see the franchise tag go away and be replaced with a more player-friendly version of keeping players with their original team longer.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Expect to see the franchise tag go away and be replaced with a more player-friendly version of keeping players with their original team longer.

The owners have all the leverage. The players already have to take a hit on revenue sharing just to stay employed, let alone restore the free agency rules and everything else to the pre-uncapped year state, and you're talking about the owners giving the tag away? Not going to happen.

The owners have all the leverage.

most players have no leverage... Revis, being a possible HOF type player, has leverage.

Without Revis the D goes from elite to only decent. Without an elite D the Jets as a team aren't special. Without a 12 or 14 win season the shiny new building doesn't sell out. It's a domino effect.

to not end uplike Leon... busted up, no speed, rookie money all spent and shipped to seattle for a 5th rounder.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. These are far different situations and are being approached differently by both parties.

Revis' contract demands are not outrageous and out of line like Leon's were. Revis is the best CB in the league and has a valid case that he should be the highest paid.

Washington was a nice change of pace back and great kick returner coming off a major injury who was asking for number one RB money. Washington was like an ugly girl who looks in the mirror and sees a beauty queen.

Quite frankly Revis is starting to look stupid.

"oh I felt lightheaded"

Is his agent pulling an Alvin Keels here?

If he turned down >10m per and gets hurt this year well welcome to the ******* club.

Additions of Cro and Wilson plus the fact that Darrelle has a contract he is still obligated to leave Darrelle very little leverage.

Quite frankly Revis is starting to look stupid.

"oh I felt lightheaded"

If he turned down >10m per and gets hurt this year well welcome to the ******* club.

Additions of Cro and Wilson plus the fact that Darrelle has a contract he is still obligated to leave Darrelle very little leverage.

Which is exactly why a deal will be done before TC starts.

Revis doesn't want to risk going into this season only making $1 million without the guaranteed buyback. So he won't be holding out and he will have a new deal in place within the next couple of weeks if not the next couple of days.

Here's a hint. It rhymes with shmollective shmargaining shmagreement. Your obvious response: one guy isn't going to make that much of a difference. Mine: the **** you know that. Between the conduct policy and RFA limbo and everything else, the owners have the players over a barrel and there's really no telling what could happen. Upshaw ruined everything.

Most teams have 4-7 starters who (unlike Revis) won't be under contract past this season. It's only a revenue issue when it's the Jets. But when the Colts and Patriots have unresolved contracts with their pro bowlers, then it isn't a stadium/PSL issue. Only with the Jets.

Because Al Davis is insane, then Johnson and Tannenbaum should also be insane or it's evidence of cash flow problems.

No. The agent's screwup was three years ago. The Jets were covered for all contingencies. Revis was also covered...except in the event that he turned out to be so good that the buyback ended up being below market. Oops.

Most teams have 4-7 starters who (unlike Revis) won't be under contract past this season. It's only a revenue issue when it's the Jets.

It's not a revenue issue. It's a cap issue. People act like it's just going to pick up where it left off. I think it's manifestly insane to assume it'll even be close.

It's not a revenue issue. It's a cap issue. People act like it's just going to pick up where it left off. I think it's manifestly insane to assume it'll even be close.

Thank you. I have been saying that for months. The new CBA is going to be very different from the old one. There will be a cap but it probably won't be as high a number.

Where you and I disagree is that I think the players have a bit more leverage than you are giving them credit for and a new union head that is playing hardball because he is determined to not look like a puppet of management like Upshaw was accused of being so while there will be a way for teams to have an advantage in resigning their own FAs, it won't be the franchise tag. Expect it to go away and be replaced with a Larry Bird rule type of scenario, giving teams a one-time cap exemption to re-sign their superstars.

Where you and I disagree is that I think the players have a bit more leverage than you are giving them credit for and a new union head that is playing hardball because he is determined to not look like a puppet of management like Upshaw was accused of being

That's where you and reality disagree. De Smith is playing hardball because, like Revis, the only option left at his disposal is to go full retard.

That's where you and reality disagree. De Smith is playing hardball because, like Revis, the only option left at his disposal is to go full retard.

imagine this thing escalates... Revis holds out all TC. He misses week 1. the ravens go all ballistic with their new passing attack, Anquan Bolden has a big game and the Jets lose on MNF.

What's Revis' leverage then?

What's Revis' leverage if they lose to the Pats week 2? Randy Moss has a field day against the rookie or Cromartie.

the sad truth, the Jets need Revis more than Revis needs the Jets.

call me manifestly insane cause i think the cap will be higher than it was when this is all said and done... if there is a cap at all.

call me manifestly insane cause i think the cap will be higher than it was when this is all said and done... if there is a cap at all.

Teams wouldn't be saving money and just retaining their own guys if they anticipated a higher cap or no cap in the future. The owners want an 18 % decrease in salaries.

imagine this thing escalates... Revis holds out all TC. He misses week 1. the ravens go all ballistic with their new passing attack, Anquan Bolden has a big game and the Jets lose on MNF.

What's Revis' leverage then?

Exactly twenty million guaranteed dollars less than it is now. You've screwed him up completely and haven't gotten anywhere near an actual endgame. Congrats. Let's just make it easy and say he sits the whole year. Now what?

you'd think this deal would be a no brainer... this deal should have been done months ago... the Jets are stalling... for a naming deal? for more PSLs to sell? im not sure what they are stalling for but this deal is very simple. He's the best, he needs to be paid like the best.

This deal should have been done as soon as the draft was over. I understand that Al Davis has created somewhat of an issue with the Nnamdi signing. However, I just cant see Darrelle being offered 13 million with gaurantees and he looks at it like an insult. The Jets are nickle and diming him and it should be an insult.

This deal should have been done as soon as the draft was over. I understand that Al Davis has created somewhat of an issue with the Nnamdi signing. However, I just cant see Darrelle being offered 13 million with gaurantees and he looks at it like an insult. The Jets are nickle and diming him and it should be an insult.

The problem was that apparently it contained no guarantees for some odd reason.

I'm assuming that means no more than the $20 million he's already guaranteed, which would make it a reasonable open for the Jets and a reasonable reject for Revis and nothing all that odd after all.

exactly. You cant offer a contract like that. Revis is trying to put himself in a situation where he'll see the majority of that money, which i respect. The Jets are trying to put together a deal where it wouldnt hurt to cut him in the future before the bulk of that money kicks in (my opinion).

I'm assuming that means no more than the $20 million he's already guaranteed, which would make it a reasonable open for the Jets and a reasonable reject for Revis and nothing all that odd after all.

Who knows but that is probably a safe bet. They need to toss the buyback years aside and give him a big fat guarantee check that counts towards the uncapped year.

Exactly twenty million guaranteed dollars less than it is now. You've screwed him up completely and haven't gotten anywhere near an actual endgame. Congrats. Let's just make it easy and say he sits the whole year. Now what?

I'm bored, I'm broke and I'm back.

Or he could just take 2011 off too, along with the rest of the NFL.

I'm bored, I'm broke and I'm back.

Or he could just take 2011 off too, along with the rest of the NFL.

Exactly. I don't understand what's so hard to grasp about the fact that how good Revis is doesn't directly correlate to the leverage he has to renegotiate his contract. Peyton Manning doesn't get a new contract every year.

kind of surprised the jets haven't offered him a deal for 12ish with potential incentives to get his 16 mill. got no problem paying him 16 mill if he is all pro, defensive mvp, gets 8+ picks and we win the superbowl and i doubt the jets do, either.

kind of surprised the jets haven't offered him a deal for 12ish with potential incentives to get his 16 mill. got no problem paying him 16 mill if he is all pro, defensive mvp, gets 8+ picks and we win the superbowl and i doubt the jets do, either.

What if those incentives wind up not being allowed by the new CBA?

Archived