Darrelle Revis Contract Issue: MERGED

flgreen

Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?

• Yes. He's not a good public speaker anyway.
    • No. He's being shrewdly advised that this will help him feed his family.

So while the team isn't replying to the comments Revis is making other than the truthful "We'd like to get a deal done" stuff, Revis has changed his story. First it was that the Jets promised to address his contract. Then that changed to them promising to redo his current contract. Now he's claiming they promised to make him the highest-paid CB, which effectively means they promised to pay him $16M per season.

Anyone who cares to can see Revis is now lying (like with his hammy) and just making it up as he goes along.

I've always like your comments because they're always well put together. Even for a person who is at a disagreement has to appreciate what you stated.

With that being said let me say this. Revis story hasnt changed once.

If the Jets promised to address his contract, then that sounds like they wanted to "redo" his contract. I've read that Tanny stated that "Revis will retire a Jet". That was stated just a month ago. It only seems like the longer the negotions, the more specific Revis has gotten in respects of what was told to him.

If Revis is told that we want to make you the highest player at your position and we want you here forever then I doubt during negotiation Revis would be so elaborate given things arent sour at the moment and negotiation is occuring. This is Revis attempting not to negotiate through the media because there's no reason to. The moment you start to see inconsistencies with what was originally stated thats when I can see more of the information of what was said start to come out due to frustration. Thats not changing the story, thats an elaboration of what was said.

Now let me say this, Darrelle could be lying his hammy off (lol), but at the same time it wasnt him that initiated the contract negotiations, it was the Jets. I simply think that theres some truth to what he said, and just because he wasnt man enough to tell Rex that he was going to sit out some plays to make a statement doesnt mean that he's a liar all of a sudden. We all have said things that wasnt necessarily the truth, not with the intention to decive others with evil intent (thats what a lie is) but to be passive about a situation. He got caught...and yes it was wrong.

Thats the bad part about negotiating through the media as a player, it aint always good because the Media will ALWAYS remember what you said, unless you're the organization and you can say something one day and the next say you never said it and THOUGH its on tape the Media wont attempt to fry you as they do players.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tanking threat, like the contract dispute in general, is getting overblown.

I don't see how tanking can possibly be overblown. Even making a veiled threat to do so and then immediately backpedaling is anathema. I don't even really need to argue it. When the ball's in the air and you're crossing your fingers Revis feels sufficiently respected that day you'll know.

If Revis tanks thats only going to hurt him going forward. No team will ever be willing to pay top dollar for a CB whose numbers are mediocre at best, first of all. Second of all, no team will even pay mediocre salary for a player that purposely tanks when he still has 3 yrs left on his contract.

I'm not claiming that his bargaining posture is to his rational interest. I'd hope that the reversal means that he gets it and has abandoned the thought but based on the last couple weeks one can no more justify trusting his intellect than his integrity.

these are athletes not robots.

Frankly I don't care about the CBA problems and neither should Revis. He's super-elite and deserves to be paid as such.

Without Revis this defense falls apart. Without Mangold the OL is a shambles.

You don't have to believe these statements (denial)... and hopefully we never actually have to see them in other uniforms.

but Im going down on record saying the Jets have to treat their all-pros differently than the 99% of players that are fodder.

IF the 1st team all-pros are unhappy you MAKE them happy by drowning them with money. That's the way the league works. Stars in their prime get paid like stars. Once every 10 years these guys come around... and we are rooting for the Jets to screw them?

Without your stars you can't win Jack Crap. The Jets don't have Payton Manning. They have a #1 defense. REvis is the key to that defense. You pay him like he's Payton manning and it's a fair deal for everyone.

If we were talking about Mike Devito is unhappy with his contract I would be just like you guys saying shut up and play Mr. Devito. Revis is not Mike Devito. He's not replaceable. He has TONS of leverage. He has sat out before he will sit out again. HE could derail this entire 2010 run if the Jets don't pay him. He's the rare NFL athlete that actually can sit out a year and still get paid.

anything that comes out of the Jets camp that isn't a check payable to Darrelle Revis is worthless talk. I want to see the stars get paid and as Jets fans you all should root for that as well... not rooting for the Billionaire owner to turn the screws on his talent.

Without Revis that new stadium is a shiny new Bon Jovi concert arena. No one is buying a PSL for a 6-10 Jets team.

You keep saying this. Explain how or stop.

he sits out, the lockout comes, eventually his contract expires... he gets signed on the open market. He's 24 now... he could miss 3 seasons, be 27 and make more money in that 1 bonus than he would have made in the 3 years of guaranteed money. I'm not an expert but what is factual wrong with that scenario?

also Aten i'm just as mad about Mangold not getting money. I don't see alot of people defending that miscarriage of justice. Why should the best interior OL in the NFL be entering his walk year with no new deal?

It should also be noted that Demeco Ryans, Patrick Willis and Jahri Evans all got super huge deals this offseason. There are teams making deals, despite all the CBA uncertainty... that's what I meant by propaganda. If the Jets say they can't make a deal because of the labor dispute, that's not true. Teams are making deals... big ones to good young all-pro type players.

he sits out, the lockout comes, eventually his contract expires... he gets signed on the open market. He's 24 now... he could miss 3 seasons, be 27 and make more money in that 1 bonus than he would have made in the 3 years of guaranteed money. I'm not an expert but what is factual wrong with that scenario?

also Aten i'm just as mad about Mangold not getting money. I don't see alot of people defending that miscarriage of justice. Why should the best interior OL in the NFL be entering his walk year with no new deal?

Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. After the lockout the cap may be lower than it is today.

3 years of pay for a player whos prime is roughly 6 years is an insane risk for Revis. Not to mention that 3 years from now the federal tax rate for people making over a million a year is likely to be 20 to 30 percent higher than it is currently.

Up front money today before the tax expirations and the lockout is worth a huge amount more than a big payday down the road.

There's nothing factually wrong with the statement, but if you think there's one iota of a chance Darrelle Revis is going to sit out the next 3 seasons (i.e. his prime), you're clinically insane.

he could miss 3 seasons, be 27 and make more money in that 1 bonus than he would have made in the 3 years of guaranteed money. I'm not an expert but what is factual wrong with that scenario?

Pretty sure you just nailed it. This is so wildly hypothetical that there's not really evidence either way, but come on. Three years out of football and somebody's gonna break the bank, probably under a reduced cap and on the heels of the Haynesworth meltdown? That's just insane.

He's presumably demanding 8M per and he's going to get it. Just not from us. I know you're never going to let go of the idea that the Faneca signing was a good one, but we learned our lesson. Every single one of the interior OL deals in the wake of Hutchinson's has been a ****ing albatross. Not being Adrien Clarke is worth about a million per, and the gravy ain't worth another seven.

To be fair, in Mangold's case, this is the last year of his rookie deal and they haven't made him an offer yet. At the same time, what do they offer? If the salary cap is indeed $20M less (probably won't be), you're talking about a 17% decrease in what any team can spend. Theoretically, that should translate to contracts that are 17% lower than they would otherwise be. Do the Jets offer Mangold the $8M-ish per year he'd probably get on the open market (under the old CBA), or do the Jets offer him 17% less than that?

The part that is a bit unfair (to this team or any other) is that as a matter of practicality the player can negotiate in the press and the team cannot. If a player does and looks petty, most turn a blind eye to it and blame the agent; or they understand this is an individual trying to get the most money he can from a billion-dollar conglomerate for his life's one big payday. He can do United Way commercials and give nice-guy interviews after it's over and all is forgiven and forgotten. Conversely, if the team negotiates through the press it's always bad. It's bad for morale of players on the team and it's bad for other players they'd like to attract to the team.

So while the team isn't replying to the comments Revis is making other than the truthful "We'd like to get a deal done" stuff, Revis has changed his story. First it was that the Jets promised to address his contract. Then that changed to them promising to redo his current contract. Now he's claiming they promised to make him the highest-paid CB, which effectively means they promised to pay him $16M per season.

Anyone who cares to can see Revis is now lying (like with his hammy) and just making it up as he goes along.

The NFL and the players, just like all of us are in very uncertain times. Desperate times bring out the worst and the best in us. Greed is among the worst and prudence is among the best.

Pigs will get feed Hogs will get slaughtered.

You're dead wrong, Bit.

If Revis sits out a whole year he loses a year of eligibility. That means the Jets would control his rights for an extra year. So rather than being a FA in 3 years he'll have to wait 4 years.

Revis turns 25 on July 14. Under your scenario he'll be 29 yrs old when he becomes a FA.

You're dead wrong, Bit.

If Revis sits out a whole year he loses a year of eligibility. That means the Jets would control his rights for an extra year. So rather than being a FA in 3 years he'll have to wait 4 years.

Revis turns 25 on July 14. Under your scenario he'll be 29 yrs old when he becomes a FA.

Oh, that throws an otherwise plausible scenario right out the window.

Jets fans have been sucked into the propoganda. That Somehow Revis is being greedy expecting fair market value for his services.

He isn't being greedy for wanting fair market value for his services, he is being greedy to expect fair market value as if he had played out his rookie contract and was a free agent.

He is under contract which he agreed to play for and isn't entitled to FA fair market value. It's the act of entitlement as if he were an FA that gives the apperance of greed.

little weird that the jets have dismantled - or are in the process of dismantling - the 3 strongest facets of our team: O-line, running game, secondary.

Dismantling?

We got rid of our weakest link on the O-Line and replaced him with a 2nd round guard.

We replaced "take what the OL gives me and no more Jones" with Tomlinson, a Hall-of-Famer who is 1 year younger than the Jones and can break a tackle. Then, we traded up for a RB.

We also drafted Kyle Wilson in the 1st round after landing Cromartie and replacing Rhodes with Pool.

And there's no indication we're trying to get rid of Revis. We're in the process of re-negotiating his deal, with 3 months until the season begins.

Not sure where in all of this you can say we've declined or are in the process of declining at our 3 strongest positions. We've gotten stronger.

Dismantling?

We got rid of our weakest link on the O-Line and replaced him with a 2nd round guard.

We replaced "take what the OL gives me and no more Jones" with Tomlinson, a Hall-of-Famer who is 1 year younger than the Jones and can break a tackle. Then, we traded up for a RB.

We also drafted Kyle Wilson in the 1st round after landing Cromartie and replacing Rhodes with Pool.

And there's no indication we're trying to get rid of Revis. We're in the process of re-negotiating his deal, with 3 months until the season begins.

Not sure where in all of this you can say we've declined or are in the process of declining at our 3 strongest positions. We've gotten stronger.

i never said declining at all. i said dismantling - which we are. we got rid of 20% of the oline; 2/3rds of our runners; and some dudes in the secondary. probably won't lose revis but mangold could definitely hold out - last year of deal. my point was they must have a lot of confidence to tweak our three strongest elements and i hope it doesn't blow up in their faces.

i never said declining at all. i said dismantling - which we are. we got rid of 20% of the oline; 2/3rds of our runners; and some dudes in the secondary.

I was going to say this argument only makes sense in a vacuum, but it really only makes sense in some bizarre parallel dimension where talent, age, and marginal value are less important in personnel decisions than stability and volume.

I was going to say this argument only makes sense in a vacuum, but it really only makes sense in some bizarre parallel dimension where talent, age, and marginal value are less important in personnel decisions than stability and volume.

wasn't aware i was making an argument. i was just wondering aloud whether the fact that the Jets are revamping our three strongest units is good or bad.

i never said declining at all. i said dismantling - which we are. we got rid of 20% of the oline; 2/3rds of our runners; and some dudes in the secondary. probably won't lose revis but mangold could definitely hold out - last year of deal. my point was they must have a lot of confidence to tweak our three strongest elements and i hope it doesn't blow up in their faces.

The Old stadium was dismantled. The team just had a little face lift. They actually replaced what they got rid of.

He isn't being greedy for wanting fair market value for his services, he is being greedy to expect fair market value as if he had played out his rookie contract and was a free agent.

He is under contract which he agreed to play for and isn't entitled to FA fair market value. It's the act of entitlement as if he were an FA that gives the apperance of greed.

Well put.

And I don't even think that it's a slam dunk at all that Revis would get $16M per season on the open market from a team that has NO leverage on him. Al Davis had to give Nnamdi $15M per because that's the only way to keep a premiere player from leaving his Raiders. But for that ridiculous contract offer that couldn't be refused, Aso would have signed somewhere as a UFA, and probably in the $10-12M average per season range (with that average being bloated by a voidable final contract year he'd never see, just like Clements).

Good point. Guess I'll go and change my sig now. Your point was that good!:love0030:

I've always like your comments because they're always well put together. Even for a person who is at a disagreement has to appreciate what you stated.

With that being said let me say this. Revis story hasnt changed once.

If the Jets promised to address his contract, then that sounds like they wanted to "redo" his contract. I've read that Tanny stated that "Revis will retire a Jet". That was stated just a month ago. It only seems like the longer the negotions, the more specific Revis has gotten in respects of what was told to him.

If Revis is told that we want to make you the highest player at your position and we want you here forever then I doubt during negotiation Revis would be so elaborate given things arent sour at the moment and negotiation is occuring. This is Revis attempting not to negotiate through the media because there's no reason to. The moment you start to see inconsistencies with what was originally stated thats when I can see more of the information of what was said start to come out due to frustration. Thats not changing the story, thats an elaboration of what was said.

Now let me say this, Darrelle could be lying his hammy off (lol), but at the same time it wasnt him that initiated the contract negotiations, it was the Jets. I simply think that theres some truth to what he said, and just because he wasnt man enough to tell Rex that he was going to sit out some plays to make a statement doesnt mean that he's a liar all of a sudden. We all have said things that wasnt necessarily the truth, not with the intention to decive others with evil intent (thats what a lie is) but to be passive about a situation. He got caught...and yes it was wrong.

Thats the bad part about negotiating through the media as a player, it aint always good because the Media will ALWAYS remember what you said, unless you're the organization and you can say something one day and the next say you never said it and THOUGH its on tape the Media wont attempt to fry you as they do players.

Revis didn't say anything about the Jets promising to make him the highest-paid CB in the NFL until after he was "insulted" by the first offer. He has changed his story, meaning he is now lying. Just as he lied about his hammy injury.

I'm not finding fault with him for trying to get the best deal he can for himself. But he is clearly being untruthful. And read my other post. It's a lot easier for the player to negotiate in the media than the team.

Revis didn't say anything about the Jets promising to make him the highest-paid CB in the NFL until after he was "insulted" by the first offer. He has changed his story, meaning he is now lying. Just as he lied about his hammy injury.

I'm not finding fault with him for trying to get the best deal he can for himself. But he is clearly being untruthful. And read my other post. It's a lot easier for the player to negotiate in the media than the team.

Well, we see it differently. He could have been told that and he did not state it until he seen that that contract didnt reflect what was told to him. We dont know for sure because the Jets have refuse to comment on the situation, maybe because they dont want to add insult to injury. It is what it is.

Look, neither me nor you will spend any of the money that this guy is gonna see lol. I say f**k it and just hope there's no hold out and a Supebowl in Feb.

Even if he doesn't make money by sitting out... he doesn't have to put his body thru the meat grinder for 3 years... there's no reason he HAS to do that. What's the cost of a lifetime of medical bills? Not being able to bend down and play with your kids pain-free? He's risking himself every single game, he doesn't have to do that for less money than he feels he is worth. Revis is not Cro, he doesn't have 7 kids or Mike Vick with creditors bearing down. REvis could just walk away. He's stubborn and that's why he's an all time great player.

Im still waiting for someone to explain how Patrick Willis, Demeco Ryans and Jahri Evans can get huge deals while REvis sits... the teams all operate under the same rules.

Oh and Aten, you just said Nick Mangold, the best center in the game, the best interior OL in the game, leader of the league's #1 rushing attack isn't worth the money?

I cry for the Jets if they think like you. If they let a first team all pro best in the game, possible all time great walk cause they are cheap I will flat out lose it.

This whole core thing is my Jets fan-dom on the line. If the Jets step up and keep the core (or at least try) they'll have my respect. If they don't... if they think NO Guarunteed money is a good deal for Revis... im walking away until Woody dies or sells the team. I've loved this team since Ive been little...t his is a step too far.

i'm surprised there is no way to negotiate your way out of this uncertainty. for example, "ok, revis, we'll give you 16 mill a year but if the cap is reduced/increased your contract will be reduced/increased accordingly."

Even if he doesn't make money by sitting out... he doesn't have to put his body thru the meat grinder for 3 years... there's no reason he HAS to do that.
Except if he'd like to get paid for the next 4 years. What'aya bet he does?

Im still waiting for someone to explain how Patrick Willis, Demeco Ryans and Jahri Evans can get huge deals while REvis sits... they all operate under the same rules.
How many of them had 3 years left on their deals, and an added 4th if they sat out?

i'm surprised there is no way to negotiate your way out of this uncertainty. for example, "ok, revis, we'll give you 16 mill a year but if the cap is reduced/increased your contract will be reduced/increased accordingly."
There probably is, maybe Revis won't go for it.

Oh and Aten, you just said Nick Mangold, the best center in the game, the best interior OL in the game, leader of the league's #1 rushing attack isn't worth the money?

I think he's the best offensive lineman in the league and in the discussion for best player. And nope, he's not worth 8M per. Not right now and certainly not a year from now. If you can honestly tell me that you'd rather have Mangold for megabucks than a given draft's top center for a late 1/early 2 and a rookie deal then you've just plain lost it. Paying top dollar for an interior lineman is like swatting flies with nuclear warheads. Gets the job done, in spectacular fashion even, and is still a ridiculous waste of limited resources.

Archived