Florio: Revis Alienated Ryan

flgreen

I'd like to see where I said different?

Also, do you think Rex would just turn it in if Revis isnt around. I'm thinkin his expectations are the same.

Revis is the most important player on the Jets defense. A rookie CB and Cromartie would be a disaster.

Revis makes that possible. No other CB in the league is shutting down the caliber of #1 WR's on his own that Revis does on a regular basis. That frees up another player to blitz, and that's what makes Rex's dee go. That's why he's the rare coach who likes to build his defense from the secondary forward, no matter how many people want to tell you that this game is still won in the trenches.

Take out Revis, Cromartie needs safety help every passing down on the #1, and you're praying a rookie can handle the #2, and Lowery's your nickel. This defense is completely different - for the worse.

Not to mention that the entire defense was based on forcing teams the throw at revis with where the blitz was coming from

the fans shouldn't even be having this debate. The team should have locked Revis up in Feb, when they first talked at the combine. The Jets are not doing the right thing. There's no logical reason why Revis should play 2010 for 550k.

Except that's the contract he signed. :rolleyes: Not logical enough?

Teams have won the super bowl without elite CB's. I love Revis and don't blame him one bit for wanting to get paid as the highest CB in the league. But I can't help but wonder if signing Cromartie AND drafting Kyle Wilson might have been a move to prepare for potentially not being able to afford Revis.

Revis is the most important player on the Jets defense. A rookie CB and Cromartie would be a disaster.

won't happen. no way revis sits out this year. he has 3 years left on his contract. he can't afford to sit out in 2010 and probably not in 2011 either. if we want him, we got him for another year at least.

If Rex wasn't insulted by how Revis acted than he has no self respect. A man is only as good as his word and Revis admitted he lied to the staff abut injuries.

The Jets won't do anything with Revis until they get Kyle Wilson signed. Until that happens Revis is in limbo.

Florio sucks, the Jets offered a similar contract to Revis. Contracts like Brick's and Dumervil's, but Revis wants the whole thing guaranteed pretty much which is tough to do this year.

These skill or injury incentive money is not guaranteed and contracts are being structured that way because the guaranteed money falls under the rules of the 2009 salary cap since there is none in 2010.

Revis wouldn't accept a contract like that period, so this signing does nothing other then let us know that Dumervil will be a Bronco longer.

I think we are overrating Revis at this point. He had a great season, maybe one of the best ever, but that doesn't mean that he's going to keep it up forever. He can and does hit, but the fact is that he almost never uses that skill. Maybe Rex can scheme around it. We were saying same bull**** about Jenkins last offseason and we didn't even miss him. Now there are people that want to dump him for being injury prone. It's all irrelevant because there is a better chance that Cromartie is the best CB in football than that Revis has a significant hold out.

Rex has been doing it without Revis for years. Its like people think that Rex wouldnt blitz if Revis wasnt here...wtf???

Great point on Kris Jenkins and its spot on.

Before Rex with Revis playing on Mangini's D they were never better then 18th with Rex they were #1..Who made the difference? :cheers:

I was going to go back and respond to everyone's post, but this is what it boils down to...bottom line.

If that would be a disaster than NE is seriously ****ed.

Cro is an upgrade over any CB on your roster and Wilson will be better than Butler or any young gun.

Florio is an asshat who wants to write something controversial to pump up his hits form NBC and Sprint.

The Revis deal will get done. Ryan is smart enough to know Revis makes this defense special, and that Revis is a smart guy and a dcecent person trying to max out his earnings. Ryan probably wasn't happy, but suspect Revis could show up September 1st and wouldn't miss a beat. And Revis knows the Jets are a team on the way up.

Does anyone manufacture more unsubstantiated stories centering around speculation about feelings than Florio?

2 questions:

First, why do you guys bother reading his drivel?

Second, why do you then post it here and squabble over it - when you should know damn well there is absolutely nothing credible behind it other than the smarmy piece of dootz that is Florio, the Perez Hilton of sports journalism.

Archived