Ex-Jet Leon Washington to Revis: Don't be victim like me

SoFlaJets

slats he and his agent signed this deal 2 years ago,it was ok then but isnt now? I like Revis and we need him in camp and on the field. I just have to ask,when does it end with these players and what is the financial limit that a team can spend and still satisfy all the players.

It was three years ago, and it was the best he could do as the 14th pick in the draft. He has a new perch to negotiate from now, and that's as the best CB in the world. A little hyperbole there, but probably true. He gets hurt in camp, he collects his $550K and a minor injury settlement and that's it - when even the Jets have placed his value to the team at $100M or $150M depending on what you believe. The guy wants some of that up front in the form of a guarantee. That's a reasonable stance considering what the guy does for a living, IMHO.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was three years ago, and it was the best he could do as the 14th pick in the draft. He has a new perch to negotiate from now, and that's as the best CB in the world. A little hyperbole there, but probably true. He gets hurt in camp, he collects his $550K and a minor injury settlement and that's it - when even the Jets have placed his value to the team at $100M or $150M depending on what you believe. The guy wants some of that up front in the form of a guarantee. That's a reasonable stance considering what the guy does for a living, IMHO.

Understood but what stops others from doing the same dam thing. Shonne Greene had a helluva year I dont see him crying.

Understood but what stops others from doing the same dam thing. Shonne Greene had a helluva year I dont see him crying.

Listen, I support any player out to get whatever he can. Just so happens that Revis has a very strong position, and he's using it to his advantage. Shonn Greene does not have that same leverage. Few players do. If Shonn held out, the Jets could just say OKBAI and find out how good Chauncey Washington is, or some waiver wire pickup.

My job requires to me to be on the road a lot, driving from client to client. I'm more likely to die in a car accident then Mevi$ is on the Football field. Should I ask my company for upfront money just in case I'm killed in a car accident.

There is a risk associated with every single job in the country. Only difference is, we dont make near what these ****s make to play a god damn game, which they absolutely love playing.

I hate my ******* job and risk my life every time I get behind the wheel to go make them more money, you dont see me complaining or demanding guaranteed money.

Listen, I support any player out to get whatever he can. Just so happens that Revis has a very strong position, and he's using it to his advantage. Shonn Greene does not have that same leverage. Few players do. If Shonn held out, the Jets could just say OKBAI and find out how good Chauncey Washington is, or some waiver wire pickup.

He's asking for money that he can't get, and being a dick about it. So stop supporting him.

Bottom line: Mevi$ plays for the Jets or he doesn't play at all

Back to his Facebook page. I wrote on there that he should get a real job and got jumped on about how it is a real job and they could get hurt, blah, blah, blah...As JiF says and I clarified to HIS FAMILY, all 150 of them, get a job he hates like the reat of us slubs and then cry about your money issues

A 34 year old CB can't expect to make much more than that. But a 25 year old CB who's probably better can expect to make more than that. Certainly a lot more than the $550K he's currently under contract for.

Well obviously, but that was not the point. I was trying to get across that Aso's deal should in no way be used as the benchmark. That deal is an oddity and if Darrelle wants a deal like that he can go to the Rams or Lions and play.

Revis is set to earn $1 million this year and with incentives could be 1.9. I know he still deserves more.

My job requires to me to be on the road a lot, driving from client to client. I'm more likely to die in a car accident then Mevi$ is on the Football field. Should I ask my company for upfront money just in case I'm killed in a car accident.

There is a risk associated with every single job in the country. Only difference is, we dont make near what these ****s make to play a god damn game, which they absolutely love playing.

I hate my ******* job and risk my life every time I get behind the wheel to go make them more money, you dont see me complaining or demanding guaranteed money.

JiF, if you could hold out and get your boss to pay you 10-15x what you currently make, would you do it? If you had a couple million in the bank already to tide you over while you pay a daily fine, would it be worth it to you for yourself and your family of the future? I'm guessing it probably would be.

This game that these guys love playing cripples people, effects their brain function, and shortens their lives. They do it because they love the game, the fame, and of course - the money. People are taking out mortgages to see them perform their athletic feats in person. They're worth some significant coin.

He's asking for money that he can't get, and being a dick about it. So stop supporting him.

He's taken a stance in negotiations that as the best CB in the league, he should be the highest paid. It's the smart negotiating stance.

Outside of his little OTA drama, how else is he being a dick?

JiF, if you could hold out and get your boss to pay you 10-15x what you currently make, would you do it? If you had a couple million in the bank already to tide you over while you pay a daily fine, would it be worth it to you for yourself and your family of the future? I'm guessing it probably would be.

This game that these guys love playing cripples people, effects their brain function, and shortens their lives. They do it because they love the game, the fame, and of course - the money. People are taking out mortgages to see them perform their athletic feats in person. They're worth some significant coin.

So when exactly does the coin become signifacant? 10 mill isn't signifacant enough? only 16 mill+ is? BS..if you love the game so much, wtf is the different if you are the 2nd highest paid db at ONLY 10 mill a year? Sorry slats,you will never gonna convince me otherwise.

He's taken a stance in negotiations that as the best CB in the league, he should be the highest paid. It's the smart negotiating stance.

Outside of his little OTA drama, how else is he being a dick?

I'm not going through this again. I've gone through my stance on this 100 times already just like everyone else. Nothings going to change my mind, nothings going to change yours.

I'm bored right now, but just realized not bored enough to talk about nonsense all day.

I keep seeing references to this mysterious family. What 'family' exactly does Revis have to support? Does he have a wife or any kids? Or is it just that uncle Sean needs a few more cars to tool around in? Seriously, it's not like he's A-Cro or anything.

he has a daughter.

so when does the coin become signifacant enough? 10 mill isn't enough? only 16 mill + is enough? if you love the game so much, be the2nd highest db and know that crazy Al screwed you with the Aso deal, not the Jets...sorry slats, you will never convince me otherwise

Between Twitter and here I think the only 2 Jets fans I see supporting Revis in all this is slats and afos-it's uncanny how almost every other Jets fan has turned against him-I'm glad some of you guys like Jetfan 13 are going over to his FB site and fighting the good fight for us

Between Twitter and here I think the only 2 Jets fans I see supporting Revis in all this is slats and afos-it's uncanny how almost every other Jets fan has turned against him-I'm glad some of you guys like Jetfan 13 are going over to his FB site and fighting the good fight for us

I don't necessarily support him but Im not going to turn against him either. I could give a sh!t about the fight between a billionaire and a millionaire. It's all rich people sh!t to me.

I think the parallels that people are trying to make to the average Joe are terribly misguided . Unlike the numerous enemies of capitalism in this thread, I have no problem with the vast fortunes made by athletes and entertainers since we, as consumers of the products, are complicit in it all. If it bothers you that much that in three days, Darrelle Revis willfully forfeited salary that exceeds the per capita income of the United States, then you can protest by not going to games, turning off the television, and ceasing to buy merchandise. You can still post here, however, as less than a quarter of the posts on this site are actually football-related.

The real problem with this situation is the greed/ego factor that seems to be the driving force behind the demands, if Revis truly thinks his contract should approach, if not exceed the one signed by Asomogah. I would expect is that Revis and his representatives negotiate in good faith with reasonable (and feasible) demands, especially given the little leverage that they currently have. It is far from reasonable to expect the Jets to blow up their cap to satiate his need to be recognized as the league's best corner by exceeding a contract that is widely considered an aberration. Nor is it reasonable to think that, in this uncapped season, the Jets will fork over a $20m signing bonus to a player in the midst of his second holdout in three years.

The last time a defensive back that was a Pro Bowler for a Ryan-led defense held out for the full season, that team had one of the most dominant seasons in NFL history, culminating with them winning the Super Bowl.

On the poll on this site, 16 people voted that they supported Revis completely: http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/90550-the-darrelle-revis-holdout/

21% of those voting.

Not bad when you consider that the Jets are holding press conferences painting Revis as greedy with their "total compensation" memo, while Revis' camp is staying completely silent, or that for some reason fans always seem to take the side of management in these issues.

I think the people on his FB page are largely out of line, and that he'd be smart to shut that down.

As JiF says and I clarified to HIS FAMILY, all 150 of them, get a job he hates like the reat of us slubs and then cry about your money issues

there are very few jobs in this country as difficult as making sure Andre Johnson or Randy Moss doesn't get open. It's not fun and games.

On the poll on this site, 16 people voted that they supported Revis completely: http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/90550-the-darrelle-revis-holdout/

21% of those voting.

Not bad when you consider that the Jets are holding press conferences painting Revis as greedy with their "total compensation" memo, while Revis' camp is staying completely silent, or that for some reason fans always seem to take the side of management in these issues.

I think the people on his FB page are largely out of line, and that he'd be smart to shut that down.

so 72 Jets fans participated and out of 77 votes only 16 agree with him-3 out of every 4 don't (5 could care less)

Nor is it reasonable to think that, in this uncapped season, the Jets will fork over a $20m signing bonus to a player in the midst of his second holdout in three years.

Yeah, but I have yet to see a report where the Jets have offered even a quarter of that, have you? I think half of it, combined with some sort of D'Brick type deal, would probably have him back in camp.

In an uncapped season, it should be easier to pay him some money that won't effect any future cap, too.

21% of those voting.

He wants over $45 million with a large portion of that guaranteed.

How many of that 21% actually support him getting that?

there are very few jobs in this country as difficult as making sure Andre Johnson or Randy Moss doesn't get open. It's not fun and games.

It's still entertainment any way you want to paint it. Some movie celebs get over 10 mil to make a freaking picture...people in the entertainment business are way out of line with the money they command.

Ive been fighting that fight for a month now.

I think the parallels that people are trying to make to the average Joe are terribly misguided . Unlike the numerous enemies of capitalism in this thread, I have no problem with the vast fortunes made by athletes and entertainers since we, as consumers of the products, are complicit in it all. If it bothers you that much that in three days, Darrelle Revis willfully forfeited salary that exceeds the per capita income of the United States, then you can protest by not going to games, turning off the television, and ceasing to buy merchandise. You can still post here, however, as less than a quarter of the posts on this site are actually football-related.

The real problem with this situation is the greed/ego factor that seems to be the driving force behind the demands, if Revis truly thinks his contract should approach, if not exceed the one signed by Asomogah. I would expect is that Revis and his representatives negotiate in good faith with reasonable (and feasible) demands, especially given the little leverage that they currently have. It is far from reasonable to expect the Jets to blow up their cap to satiate his need to be recognized as the league's best corner by exceeding a contract that is widely considered an aberration. Nor is it reasonable to think that, in this uncapped season, the Jets will fork over a $20m signing bonus to a player in the midst of his second holdout in three years.

The last time a defensive back that was a Pro Bowler for a Ryan-led defense held out for the full season, that team had one of the most dominant seasons in NFL history, culminating with them winning the Super Bowl.

I would add in there "which would further provide more than ample incentive for him to be a-ok with going on strike less than a year after cashing a $20M signing bonus check."

so 72 Jets fans participated and out of 77 votes only 16 agree with him-3 out of every 4 don't (5 could care less)

Right. It's not two, that's all I'm saying. wink.gif

Jets are controlling the message, and that plays a big part when the fans (for some reason) are generally biased against the players in these types of things, anyway.

Yep, and you know what my employer would do, the exact same thing the Jets are doing...not willing to cave. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should and doesnt mean you are going to get what you want.

Guess what, without Mevi$ the Jets still play Football and still have a great chance of achieving their goals. He is one man, and no one man is bigger than the team. Thats what you are failing to see. As Hector pointed out, the last time this happened to Rex, he went on to coach one of the greatest D's in NFL history. And just yesterday Rex said Cro is like nothing he's ever seen before...the Jets will move on...and the Jets will still be damn good.

And its not really about the Money...I get it. Its a business and I'm going to try and make the most I can. Its about the way these ****s handle themselves during the negotiations. Mevi$ is a punk. He's proved that with his actions. Thats why I get pissed.

I would add in there "which would further provide more than ample incentive for him to be a-ok with going on strike less than a year after cashing a $20M signing bonus check."

I wonder if he did, how the people who are supporting him now would feel, and if they would support him then too?

That was implied as the other factor in owners being reluctant to dole out wads of guaranteed cash this offseason and his holdout only increased that reluctance.

Frankly, I'm shocked that you didn't infer that from my original post.

It's still entertainment any way you want to paint it. Some movie celebs get over 10 mil to make a freaking picture...people in the entertainment business are way out of line with the money they command.

yea but there's a more direct correlation between say what a star actor makes and what that picture they are in makes-and a lot of it comes in points...if Tom Cruise makes a bomb he ain't making what he made for a picture like The Last Samurai on the next one...Players will make more money as rookies than SB winning QBs made the previous year-did Revis deserve the however many millions he made for the first 2 years of his contract?

Right. It's not two, that's all I'm saying. wink.gif

Jets are controlling the message, and that plays a big part when the fans (for some reason) are generally biased against the players in these types of things, anyway.

Out of curiosity, why are you fighting Darrelle's fight? You win an argument, he makes millions, and your favorite football team falls apart over the next 5 years...

While I agree, I can't help but think its us that fund the whole fiasco.

Out of curiosity, why are you fighting Darrelle's fight? You win an argument, he makes millions, and your favorite football team falls apart over the next 5 years...

Outside of the bullsh*t in that statement?

Tanny's a bright guy. He can figure out a way to pay arguably the league's best defender without exploding the team's future cap.

Revis is ridiculously underpaid, and is both smart and right to seek guarantees when his own employers have put his value at $100-150M, and he's slated to earn $550K -and that's it- right now.

Why?

Going onto his facebook accomplishes nothing. Let the grown ups hammer this one out on their own, and we'll all be there for week 1. And my bet is, a lot of those folks who've 'turned against him', will be sporting their #24 Jerseys at the opener.

Archived