Ex-Jet Leon Washington to Revis: Don't be victim like me

SoFlaJets

I think the parallels that people are trying to make to the average Joe are terribly misguided . Unlike the numerous enemies of capitalism in this thread, I have no problem with the vast fortunes made by athletes and entertainers since we, as consumers of the products, are complicit in it all. If it bothers you that much that in three days, Darrelle Revis willfully forfeited salary that exceeds the per capita income of the United States, then you can protest by not going to games, turning off the television, and ceasing to buy merchandise. You can still post here, however, as less than a quarter of the posts on this site are actually football-related.

Why would a Jets fan or any NFL fan do that? Neither the NFL nor the Jets need Darrelle Shavar Revis; Darrelle Shavar Revis needs the NFL.

Hypothetically: Let say Revis holds out indefinitely. The Jets never budge, never release him, never renegotiate, and stick to a policy of if you want to play you play for us for $1 million dollars.

What will happen? Will the Jets stop playing football? Will the NFL cease to exist? Will fans stop watching the games on TV and come to the stadium? Will Dicks sporting good stop selling Nike apparel? Nope. None of this will happen. Jets might sell a few less PSLs, the Jets might win a few less games, but the NFL will continue to go about its merry way. The Jets will still field 11 men on defense on every play. There will still be 53 men on the Jets roster. You will continue to root for the Jets and I will continue to root against them.

OTOH, What would happen on to Revis? He might become the highest paid player in the AFL or CFL. A few folks might show up to an autograph signing in a NJ mall. But for the most part he will become irrelevant. Dicks and Nike will find new spokesmen and shoot new ads.

The Jets existed for 50 years before Revis arrived and will continue to exist after he leaves even if that is this year or in 10 years from now.

Revis isn't the reason why folks started caring about the Jets. The Jets are the only reason anybody cares about Revis. That true for any and every player.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets are controlling the message, and that plays a big part when the fans (for some reason) are generally biased against the players in these types of things, anyway.

I disagree with this.

Revis has made his own messages and the fans aren't misinterpreting them as part of some great Jets conspiracy.

Publicly, he's taken a statement of (something like): "You're outperforming your existing contract and we promise to address it this offseason," and turned it into, "The Jets promised to tear up my contract," which it seems they clearly did not promise to do. Tannenbaum had no incentive to approach Revis and promise such things only to go back on the promise. He and the team he represents stand to gain nothing and lose a bad PR battle to fans, to his teammates, and to potential future FA's. C'mon. He simply doesn't misspeak like that and later say he was taken out of context or other such sorry excuse people use. No need to mince words. Either Tannenbaum promised to tear up his deal and replace it with one averaging $16M starting this season or he did not. I find it hard to believe our cap-counting GM would offer up such an absurd statement to a player the team already controls for the 3 upcoming seasons.

When the Jets were under zero obligation to add one day or one penny to his existing contract, they did and through the media Revis gave the message was that it was "insulting."

Revis, not the Jets, then further gave a message to the public when he faked an injury in OTA's, the equivalent of lying to the face of the very HC who has been his greatest champion to the media.

Hypothetically: Let say Revis holds out indefinitely. The Jets never budge, never release him, never renegotiate, and stick to a policy of if you want to play you play for us for $1 million dollars.

This "let him rot" hypothetical will never happen, and it's one of the things that Revis' camp is banking on. The Jets will either get their commodity on the field, or get value back for him in a trade - to a team that will pay him. So it's a bullsh*t point, too.

Leon is absolutely right, Revis should learn from Leon's situation. He should learn that if the team makes you a substantial offer that represents a significant raise on a long term contract, you either accept the deal or suffer the consequences of your own actions. Leon only has himself to blame for the situation he's currently in. Revis better know if he follows Leon's lead, the same might be said of him if things go badly.

Exactly.

Leon could have gotten the security but he stupidly thought he was worth MJD money which he wasn't.

I can't believe he is still with Keels. Good luck, Leon, but you're a fool.

That was implied as the other factor in owners being reluctant to dole out wads of guaranteed cash this offseason and his holdout only increased that reluctance.

Frankly, I'm shocked that you didn't infer that from my original post.

I inferred that you were worried about Revis holding out 3 years down the road when his one-year salary drops to "only" $5M, not taking $20M in SB and then going on strike with his fellow underprivileged players.

Outside of the bullsh*t in that statement?

Tanny's a bright guy. He can figure out a way to pay arguably the league's best defender without exploding the team's future cap.

Revis is ridiculously underpaid, and is both smart and right to seek guarantees when his own employers have put his value at $100-150M, and he's slated to earn $550K -and that's it- right now.

And was ridiculously overpaid.

Why would a Jets fan or any NFL fan do that? Neither the NFL nor the Jets need Darrelle Shavar Revis; Darrelle Shavar Revis needs the NFL.

What will happen? Will the Jets stop playing football? Will the NFL cease to exist? Will fans stop watching the games on TV and come to the stadium? Will Dicks sporting good stop selling Nike apparel? Nope. None of this will happen. Jets might sell a few less PSLs, the Jets might win a few less games, but the NFL will continue to go about its merry way. The Jets will still field 11 men on defense on every play. There will still be 53 men on the Jets roster. You will continue to root for the Jets and I will continue to root against them.

OTOH, What would happen on to Revis? He might become the highest paid player in the AFL or CFL. A few folks might show up to an autograph signing in a NJ mall. But for the most part he will become irrelevant. Dicks and Nike will find new spokesmen and shoot new ads.

The Jets existed for 50 years before Revis arrived and will continue to exist after he leaves even if that is this year or in 10 years from now.

Revis isn't the reason why folks started caring about the Jets. The Jets are the only reason anybody cares about Revis. That true for any and every player.

I'm terribly sorry that you missed the entire premise of my post and subsequently spent precious time writing this response.

My point was simply that it is silly to be angry at Revis for making more money than most in this country or for him to forfeit large sums of money as if it was pocket change, especially wen there are far better reasons to be bothered by this situation.

It's still entertainment any way you want to paint it. Some movie celebs get over 10 mil to make a freaking picture...people in the entertainment business are way out of line with the money they command.

While I think Bitonti's post is asinine at best, the fact is you're paid as an earner for your employer.

Lets take a name like Russell Crowe. Russell Crowe headlines a film and that film makes 150M for Paramount. The film is marketed and sold to the public on his name and his face. He's in large part responsible for generating 150M for Paramount. What is fair compensation? And, if he were to be paid 1M, where does the other 9M go? To the executives?

Just curious on your thoughts here.

I inferred that you were worried about Revis holding out 3 years down the road when his one-year salary drops to "only" $5M, not taking $20M in SB and then going on strike with his fellow underprivileged players.

Well, duh, that was the easy inference to make. The other one required some reading between the lines. :D

This "let him rot" hypothetical will never happen, and it's one of the things that Revis' camp is banking on. The Jets will either get their commodity on the field, or get value back for him in a trade - to a team that will pay him. So it's a bullsh*t point, too.

A bullsh*t point is saying the Jets will trade him at any point in the next 2 yrs.

Revis costs the Jets absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada.

They don't have to pay him and he doesn't take up a roster spot so long as he holds out. The Jets don't need to get "value back" because Revis is a non-entity. He doesn't exist roster wise or financially. Plus, he will owe the Jets a ton of money in fines (which won't get paid unless the Jets really play hardball).

And was ridiculously overpaid.

No. He's been paid like a solid starter, which he has been since day one - and more.

To this point in his career, Revis has been a major bargain for the Jets.

Out of curiosity, why are you fighting Darrelle's fight? You win an argument, he makes millions, and your favorite football team falls apart over the next 5 years...

Wait... Really?

What slats, or anyone else on this board, says matters?

I'm terribly sorry that you missed the entire premise of my post and subsequently spent precious time writing this response.

My point was simply that it is silly to be angry at Revis for making more money than most in this country or for him to forfeit large sums of money as if it was pocket change, especially wen there are far better reasons to be bothered by this situation.

I assume a lot of what you were referring to was stuff I said in my post. So just for the record, the money really isnt the issue with me. I find it absurd the amount of money they make, turn away from, cough up...what have you, but I dont blame them for any of it. Its the market. I get business.

I get pissed at the ways they conduct themselves. Like Leon saying "dont be a victim"...phulezzz!!!! That sh*t disgusts me. Or like saying, I need money to feed my family, or faking an injury, or saying I want 1 more dollar then the highest paid at my positions or the fact they believe they are bigger than the team and want to sign a contract that could be detrimental to the future of his team.

Its their actions that upset me, not their urgency to make as much money as possible.

oh spare us this one.

It's a game.

it ain't tiddlywinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

Mike Webster was a hall of fame center for the steelers, won 5 rings, found dead age of 50, homeless on the floor of Penn Station men's room.

literally thousands of tales just like that... entertainers like Russell Crowe don't get punch drunk. Revis is the best of the gladiators they have to pay him.

I know that it won't come to that.

But the point of the post was while the NFL needs players. They don't need any one specific player. The NFL can survive without Revis, without Peyton Manning, w/o Tom Brady. No one player is bigger than the NFL or a team. Did Brady's absense in 2008 make the season less interesting for Patriots fans? Absolutely, but the team survived. People still watched the games and rooted.

But the converse is not true. Without the Patriots, Brady is nothing. Without the Colts, Manning is nothing. You can be as talented as Matt Harrington, if you aren't on a sports team you are just the guy changing tires at the home depot.

While I think Bitonti's post is asinine at best, the fact is you're paid as an earner for your employer.

Lets take a name like Russell Crowe. Russell Crowe headlines a film and that film makes 150M for Paramount. The film is marketed and sold to the public on his name and his face. He's in large part responsible for generating 150M for Paramount. What is fair compensation? And, if he were to be paid 1M, where does the other 9M go? To the executives?

I understand where you're coming from and there isn't a real simple answer. This is on par with college players (football as a good example), who generate millions of dollars for their institution and don't get a dime out of it. Some say, but hey, they're getting a free education. Still, it doesn't come close to the money their schools are raking in and where does all that money go?

Why?

Going onto his facebook accomplishes nothing. Let the grown ups hammer this one out on their own, and we'll all be there for week 1. And my bet is, a lot of those folks who've 'turned against him', will be sporting their #24 Jerseys at the opener.

Of course we will be right there rooting for him EY-we're all friggin JETS fans-not Jets' players fans. I want him in camp, signed and happy and healthy for the rest of his hopefully long HoF career, I just don't like the way he's trying to get there. If he costs this team games with his holdout we'll never forgive him-THEN we'll turn against him you can bet on that.

I take it you cringe when you read people describing pampered, fabulously-paid athletes as warriors?

that's what everyone thinks life in the NFL is like... and sometimes... it is...

but most of the time they are up early, working all day, cross country flights, taking huge needles to play with pain... every mistake is magnified... on and off the field... 99% of them can be cut without a moments notice... and their life after the game is through is usually painful and sad. They aren't living like Paris Hilton.

I assume a lot of what you were referring to was stuff I said in my post. So just for the record, the money really isnt the issue with me. I find it absurd the amount of money they make, turn away from, cough up...what have you, but I dont blame them for any of it. Its the market. I get business.

I get pissed at the ways they conduct themselves. Like Leon saying "dont be a victim"...phulezzz!!!! That sh*t disgusts me. Or like saying, I need money to feed my family, or faking an injury, or saying I want 1 more dollar then the highest paid at my positions or the fact they believe they are bigger than the team and want to sign a contract that could be detrimental to the future of his team.

Its their actions that upset me, not their urgency to make as much money as possible.

another great post and saying a lot of how I feel

it ain't tiddlywinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

Mike Webster was a hall of fame center for the steelers, won 5 rings, found dead age of 50, homeless on the floor of Penn Station men's room.

literally thousands of tales just like that... entertainers like Russell Crowe don't get punch drunk. Revis is the best of the gladiators they have to pay him.

Problem is, you inferred that Mevi$ has a job of social significance. When in reality, it has absolutely zero.

Paramount is actually my client, and I know the answer to this.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999998% of that money definitely isn't going to me.

I understand where you're coming from and there isn't a real simple answer. This is on par with college players (football as a good example), who generate millions of dollars for their institution and don't get a dime out of it. Some say, but hey, they're getting a free education. Still, it doesn't come close to the money their schools are raking in and where does all that money go?

One hopes into the educations of the people who actually are there to learn?

Maybe wishful thinking?

yeah...i did miss your point.

I don't think anyone is bothered by the idea that athletes make more money than the average Joe.

What bothers most people is when they are making 50 times what the average Joe makes and then they start whining that they deserve to be making 100 times more than the average Joe, then the average Joe gets upset.

A bullsh*t point is saying the Jets will trade him at any point in the next 2 yrs.

Revis costs the Jets absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada.

They don't have to pay him and he doesn't take up a roster spot so long as he holds out. The Jets don't need to get "value back" because Revis is a non-entity. He doesn't exist roster wise or financially. Plus, he will owe the Jets a ton of money in fines (which won't get paid unless the Jets really play hardball).

Sorry, Steve, but this is bullsh*t.

Revis has value, and they're not going to let that value waste away to make a point. It has nothing to do with his roster spot, or how much money they're not paying him, and everything to do with the fact that he's probably worth two defenders on the field, or a bounty of players and picks in a trade. The Jets will opt to get whatever value they can out of him before his value starts to decline. If they get bitchy with him, his trade value could drop to Santonio Holmes levels. They'll want to cash in while it's closer to Hershel Walker levels.

yeah...i did miss your point.

I don't think anyone is bothered by the idea that athletes make more money than the average Joe.

What bothers most people is when they are making 50 times what the average Joe makes and then they start whining that they deserve to be making 100 times more than the average Joe, then the average Joe gets upset.

that's exactly it bro except Revis wants to make a thousand times more than the Average Joe

Problem is, you inferred that Mevi$ has a job of social significance. When in reality, it has absolutely zero.

You inferred that. I said was it was difficult... and often life-altering for the retired players. but no they aren't out there curing cancer.

end of the day it's Supply and Demand if there's 2 or 3 people in the world who can shut down any of the league's 15 or so #1 WR wide receivers... what is that worth? Low supply, high demand.

It wasn't just you... it was a theme that was beginning to overwhelm the thread.

As far as the lip service, I guess I just ignore that nonsense and laugh when the overly greedy pass on big coin and wind up getting far less in the end (see: Sprewell, Latrell).

It wasn't just you... it was a theme that was beginning to overwhelm the thread.

As far as the lip service, I guess I just ignore that nonsense and laugh when the overly greedy pass on big coin and wind up getting far less in the end (see: Sprewell, Latrell).

add Leon Washington to that list

Archived