Ex-Jet Leon Washington to Revis: Don't be victim like me

SoFlaJets

it ain't tiddlywinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

Mike Webster was a hall of fame center for the steelers, won 5 rings, found dead age of 50, homeless on the floor of Penn Station men's room.

literally thousands of tales just like that... entertainers like Russell Crowe don't get punch drunk. Revis is the best of the gladiators they have to pay him.

I'm not disputing the physical toll that being a professional athlete takes on your body later in life.

So does being a coal miner.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What bothers most people is when they are making 50 times what the average Joe makes and then they start whining that they deserve to be making 100 times more than the average Joe, then the average Joe gets upset.

Again, misguided anger. If it bothers people that much, then the average Joe can protest in the form of not funneling their hard-earned money into the product that allows these guys to be so handsomely paid.

So does being a former Army Ranger that's been in combat, and that's all I am saying on that...I promise.

+1000 on that and they didn't have flat screens in the jungle for you to watch SB3 on either-you should have held out for more Bill

Mike Webster was a hall of fame center for the steelers, won 5 rings, found dead age of 50, homeless on the floor of Penn Station men's room.

Using a player whose entire career in the NFL was before free agency came into play is not exactly a fair parallel to the current NFL labor situation.

Again, misguided anger. If it bothers people that much, then the average Joe can protest in the form of not funneling their hard-earned money into the product that allows these guys to be so handsomely paid.

That is one option. A fan could decide to completely boycott the NFL over the handling of the Revis holdout.

Another option is they can go to an Internet message board and call said athlete "whinny and selfish" and start spelling his name "MEvi$" but continue to follow the sport they love.

Seems that option B is more popular.

Sorry, Steve, but this is bullsh*t.

Revis has value, and they're not going to let that value waste away to make a point. It has nothing to do with his roster spot, or how much money they're not paying him, and everything to do with the fact that he's probably worth two defenders on the field, or a bounty of players and picks in a trade. The Jets will opt to get whatever value they can out of him before his value starts to decline. If they get bitchy with him, his trade value could drop to Santonio Holmes levels. They'll want to cash in while it's closer to Hershel Walker levels.

But then you have to have a team willing to pay him $16 million a yr for a 6 yr deal after sitting out a yr or so.

What team is going to do that? A team is not trading for him without a new contract.

Again, the trade argument is flat out bullsh*t. Revis will be a Jet or retire.

Also, Doggin mentioned a good point elsewhere. You do realize that if Revis holdsout past 8/10 it's not just that he loses a yr of eligibility. He also can't opt out of his contract. He'll be an exclusive rights free agent with only 3 yrs of service.

The bottom line is that Revis is exponentially more hurt by a holdout than the Jets. As such, the incentive to trade Revis simply won't be there. They are not in a situation of "get something for him now or they won't in the future." That "future" is 3 yrs + away.

Finally, the Santonio situation happened because they were going to cut him anyway. That's why his value was so low.

That is one option. A fan could decide to completely boycott the NFL over the handling of the Revis holdout.

Another option is they can go to an Internet message board and call said athlete "whinny and selfish" and start spelling his name "MEvi{:content:}quot; but continue to follow the sport they love.

If only message board protests had been around, perhaps the Berlin Wall would've fallen years earlier.

Another option is they can go to an Internet message board and call said athlete "whinny and selfish" and start spelling his name "MEvi$" but continue to follow the sport they love.

it's never about a single player with us Jets fans anyway-hasn't been that way for me since Joe Namath left. That's what's so great about the game. It's when people try and turn it into a 'ME'-first sport fans unite in their disapproval-that's what Revis is doing to us now. And as far as boycotting-I know this family won't be going to any games this year or buying any jerseys-especially none with the #24 on them.

But then you have to have a team willing to pay him $16 million a yr for a 6 yr deal after sitting out a yr or so.

What team is going to do that? A team is not trading for him without a new contract.

Again, the trade argument is flat out bullsh*t. Revis will be a Jet or retire.

Also, Doggin mentioned a good point elsewhere. You do realize that if Revis holdsout past 8/10 it's not just that he loses a yr of eligibility. He also can't opt out of his contract. He'll be an exclusive rights free agent with only 3 yrs of service.

The bottom line is that Revis is exponentially more hurt by a holdout than the Jets. As such, the incentive to trade Revis simply won't be there. They are not in a situation of "get something for him now or they won't in the future." That "future" is 3 yrs + away.

Finally, the Santonio situation happened because they were going to cut him anyway. That's why his value was so low.

All this is well and good, but it's just not realistic.

I hope it doesn't go another day, but if it goes the whole season, they will trade him before they let him sit another year and his trade value starts to decline. The longer it lasts, the more pressure they're going to be under to get something done. They will not want this hanging around their necks for another year (or more) no matter how much legal leverage they might have over the player. They'll want to get maximum value out of him and move on. Realistically, he's either going to get paid this year, or he's going to get paid before the 2011 draft.

Screw LW and his advise to MEvis...

Washington never got the contract he was seeking (though the Jets say they offered him one with $10 million in guarantees that Washington rejected) and he suffered a scary compound leg fracture in the sixth game of the season, against the Raiders in Oakland.

When you turn down 10 mil in guarantees, I have no sympathy for you...LW got greedy and wanted more...same advise he is giving MEvis. Learn from that if you're going to learn anything at all.

yep. LW was not even that good. his rookie year really over hyped him.

I hope it doesn't go another day, but if it goes the whole season, they will trade him before they let him sit another year and his trade value starts to decline. The longer it lasts, the more pressure they're going to be under to get something done. They will not want this hanging around their necks for another year (or more) no matter how much legal leverage they might have over the player. They'll want to get maximum value out of him and move on. Realistically, he's either going to get paid this year, or he's going to get paid before the 2011 draft.

Trade him to Cleveland , or better yet, Detroit...that would fix his sorry a$$

+1000 on that and they didn't have flat screens in the jungle for you to watch SB3 on either-you should have held out for more Bill

Jimmy, that made me laugh...your late brother Carlo (and my Nam brother) and I held out for maybe a cold drink on a day where the temps would creep into the low 100's when we were making about 400 a month...and we were sergeants too. :D

MEvis, sign the freaking offer and only buy 3 houses and 6 cars instead of 6 houses and 12 cars.

Jimmy, that made me laugh...your late brother Carlo (and my Nam brother) and I held out for maybe a cold drink on a day where the temps would creep into the low 100's when we were making about 400 a month...and we were sergeants too. :D

MEvis, sign the freaking offer and only buy 3 houses and 6 cars instead of 6 houses and 12 cars.

If anybody deserves to see a SB....

Slats, the bottom line is this: Revis sitting out a yr or more is equally ridiculous to the idea of the Jets trading him at any point.

Revis' value to the Jets on the field and current salary >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than any trade they can make.

Where you and I differ is the "pressure" notion. The longer it last the more pressure there will be on REVIS, not the Jets.

BTW, under your scenario, if the Jets are forced to trade Revis are they going to simply walk away from the MILLIONS of dollars Revis owes them in fines? Are they going to say, "Yeah, okay, you caused us a massive headache and made us lose you as an asset so here's a gift: you don't have to pay us the money you owe us."

Slats, the bottom line is this: Revis sitting out a yr or more is equally ridiculous to the idea of the Jets trading him at any point.

Revis' value to the Jets on the field and current salary >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than any trade they can make.

Where you and I differ is the "pressure" notion. The longer it last the more pressure there will be on REVIS, not the Jets.

BTW, under your scenario, if the Jets are forced to trade Revis are they going to simply walk away from the MILLIONS of dollars Revis owes them in fines? Are they going to say, "Yeah, okay, you caused us a massive headache and made us lose you as an asset so here's a gift: you don't have to pay us the money you owe us."

Fair enough, Dude. You're another guy I'd rather not skirmish with. :cheers:

Let's see what happens in the next few days. If he doesn't report by 8/10, he really won't have much incentive to report for the rest of the year unless the Jets pay him.

that's what everyone thinks life in the NFL is like... and sometimes... it is...

but most of the time they are up early, working all day, cross country flights, taking huge needles to play with pain... every mistake is magnified... on and off the field... 99% of them can be cut without a moments notice... and their life after the game is through is usually painful and sad. They aren't living like Paris Hilton.

Is this a joke? It sounds like the lives of countless millions of other people in this country, to say nothing of who knows how many actual warriors.

Hey, I get up early every day and I have no off-season that lasts for months every year. How getting up early distinguishes a professional athlete as being a "warrior" is beyond my comprehension.

Also, I work all day, every day, and I have no off-season that lasts for months every year. And there's nothing unusual or special about it.

I travel a lot for work and it usually isn't a first-class ticket paid by someone else.

Like just about every adult who goes, I pay for a gym membership and have to find the time to go around my full-time job and family and other responsibilities. Certainly no one pays me to work out, along dedicating with time allotted for me to do so, with personal trainers and doctors and nutritionists always available for free, and also people to give me rubdowns after really hard workouts.

EVERY mistake they make is not magnified. Very few mistakes are magnified. The first time Jerricho Cotchery drops a pass this year is he going to get cut? No. Is anyone going to call for him to get cut? No. The truth is, most mistakes they make are one individual bad play that is quickly forgotten. It is the few very big ones that stand out and get magnified and they damn well should be. They don't get written up at work or docked pay like regular folks. Regular folks who definitely don't get treated like royalty in public by total strangers when they have a good year, let alone just a good day.

99% of them most certainly can NOT be cut without a moment's notice. This is just a false statement you have thrown out there as though there was any merit to it. And whatever the real percentage is, it's definitely lower than the rest of society's employed. You make it sound like every worker in the country has a guaranteed contract or their employer will take a salary cap hit for firing an underperforming employee early, and compared to them NFL players have it so much worse. Anyone can get fired for being bad at a job or being overpaid for doing a mediocre job. And it should be that way anyway.

Plenty of people who have physical jobs have painful and sad retirements, without the millions of dollars and celebrity adoration. Most current NFL players do not live in pain and sadness for the rest of their lives like previous generations of retired NFL veterans. Go compare the balance of the life of a "warrior" like Curtis Martin to a warrior in the army who lost use of his legs in battle. What's painful and sad is listening to anyone rationalize a comparison between the two.

I don't doubt that it takes a physical toll on their lives after football. That doesn't make them warriors. Spare me the one-in-a-whatever who has; they don't die at work, they don't lose use of their legs or arms while still in their 20s. Warriors can and do. Every day more people are probably killed or paralyzed driving a car locally than all the on-field deaths and paralysis in NFL history. I couldn't make that claim about real-life warriors fighting other real-life warriors, with no referees throwing yellow flags if someone hits or pushes them in unsportsmanlike fashion.

You also left out:

For pretty much all NFL players referred to by fans as "warriors" these days, they earn a lifetime of financial security before they turn 30. Revis, for example, has already earned a lifetime of financial security if he never plays another down in the NFL. His life is pretty unlikely to be painful and sad. More likely he'll be a rich, happy celebrity for the next 5-7 decades.

I have no issue with it. I have no issue with their celebrity status. Awesome for them; they are living the rags-to-riches American Dream. However I do find it silly when fans cry for them as though their lives are tougher than say, single mothers who get up early every day, take care of their kids in the morning before they go to school, work full time at a crappy WalMart job they hate to pay for their dumpy apartment in their unsafe neighborhood, get home and make dinner for their kids, put them to bed, sleep, then get up in the morning and do it again, every day, for decades. And that's the upside if they and their children manage to go extended periods without being robbed, beat up, or worse. Nor the mountain of bills they can't afford or the debt they can't get out from under and the despair of having no relief in sight. Yet they still get up early every day and do it. This, with no off-season, no vacation, and no reporters and fans following them around telling them how awesome they are. Ever.

Tens of thousands of our country's own are actually fighting real-life wars as I'm typing this. To refer to these celebrities as warriors who have it oh-so tough is so stupid it it shouldn't even warrant any of my babbling above.

Let's see what happens in the next few days. If he doesn't report by 8/10, he really won't have much incentive to report for the rest of the year unless the Jets pay him.

Yeah, we'll see after 8/10. BUT, the other incentive is the fines. Revis will owe the Jets $700,000 by the MNF opener. It will be interesting if he doesn't care about the fines accumulating from there. If it gets so acrimonious I can't see the Jets just telling Revis "don't worry about it."

I don't begrudge Revis for asking for more money or even holding out. I just think his demands are wholly unreasonable.

I don't doubt that it takes a physical toll on their lives after football. That doesn't make them warriors. Spare me the one-in-a-whatever who has; they don't die at work, they don't lose use of their legs or arms while still in their 20s. Warriors can and do. Every day more people are probably killed or paralyzed driving a car locally than all the on-field deaths and paralysis in NFL history. I couldn't make that claim about real-life warriors fighting other real-life warriors, with no referees throwing yellow flags if someone hits or pushes them in unsportsmanlike fashion.

That entire post was great Sperm. Really was...but I'm quoting this part alone because it hits home. The reason why I've said numerous times the I take just as much risk driving my car for work daily as Football players do is because its true and it hits home.

3 years ago, my niece was paralyzed in a car accident on her way home from work where she earned 10/hr to help pay her way through Community College. Today, she is a "warrior" and the people with her condition that she works out with are no different. They battle a life without the use of their extremities. You want to talk about an inspirational warrior...she's it. Tell her she wont walk again.

Check out this site. Her condition inspired a community to start something that Central Florida never had. A true spinal cord recovery center for people like her to give it every thing they have to walk again. Some very touching stories at the center. And they truly go to battle every day just to try and live an independent life.

So when people like Leon say things like "dont be a victim like me"...sorry, I have absolutely no sympathy. For the rest of my families life, we are going to work to support my niece because unlike the Football players...we are not financially stable for the rest of our lives because of a couple of years of work.

www.stepituprecovery.org/

And yes, that is my mommy holding the cook books!

Problem with this theory is....

Either 1) he is willing to sign a reasonable contract, in which case there is absolutely no point in trading him OR 2) he is unwilling to sign a reasonable contract in which case he has little or no trade value.

I don't like to get into anything with you because I think you're a great guy and I know I tend to piss people off, but...

These guys don't live in the same economy as you and I. If you were working for a club making $200 a night, and another guy was working down the street -no better than you- making $3000 a night, wouldn't you want to do something about it? If by withholding your services you could put a serious financial pinch on that club and force their hand get your pay close to that $3000 a night, wouldn't you do it? For yourself, your daughter, your grandchildren, your estate, or even your ego?

It's not about "feeding their family," even if that stupid phrase comes out of their mouths. It's about getting what they're worth.

+100000

would you sell a car worth 10 thousand dollars for 6 thousand? no just like revis doesnt wanna sell his talent for anything less than what its worth. thats the bottom line here i think

Between Twitter and here I think the only 2 Jets fans I see supporting Revis in all this is slats and afos-it's uncanny how almost every other Jets fan has turned against him-I'm glad some of you guys like Jetfan 13 are going over to his FB site and fighting the good fight for us

I support him 100%.

Why? I can't fault someone for looking out for his family. Some of you are acting like he killed your favorite pet or a family member. I also realize that the team approached HIM about a new deal. They said they want to make him the highest paid CB, and I can't fault him for that. We also have no idea what was really offered. We have Tannenbaum stating they made a long and short term offer to him, but without any details. It could very well be that they offered no signing bonus or no guaranteed money. As has been stated a thousand times, that is very important to Revis, and the Jets know this. It's funny how people actually pick now to believe anything that Tanny says.

Some of you take this game way too seriously and take things so personal. Going to his Twitter and Facebook pages and getting into arguments over all of this? Calling him greedy and other colorful remarks to his family? Coming up with childish nicknames like Mevi$? Seriously? Grow the hell up people. I thought we were above this as a fan base, but I obviously underestimated the childish behavior that some Jets' fans are capable of.

This whole situation has actually made me embarrassed to be a Jets' fan to be honest. Just a few months ago, people were singing his praises, and now people are listing him as their least favorite player? Calling him and his family names on his Twiter and Facebook pages? Yeah, that's really mature.

The reason that more people seem to be against him is mainly because the people supporting him are all sitting at their computers just shaking their heads when reading some of the comments posted here. This is my one and only post on this topic. For those of you beating your chests and proud over the way you've been acting, grow up. I'll just go back to shaking my head and wondering how people can be so childish because I won't be pulled into a pissing contest with some of you.

FOR THE LAST TIME... STOP READING AND BELIEVING... THEY NEVER OFFERED LEON ANY BONUS AND THEY NEVER OFFERED 10 MILLION GURANTEED EITHER... JUST LIKE DARRELLE.. THEY HAVENT OFFERE ANY GURANTEED MONEY OR EVEN HALF OF WHAT HE WANTS AND DESERVES.... JETS LEAK THE NUMBERS AND U GUYS BELIEVE THEM.. ITS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE... LEON NEVER TURNED DOWN 5 MILL A YEAR CAUSE IT WAS NEVER OFFERED... 2.8 WAS OFFERED WITH NO BONUS AND IT WOULDNT KICK IN UNTIL THIS YEAR.. SO TALK WHAT U KNOW....

YALL ARE TURNING UR BACK ON DARRELLE JUST LIKE U DID LEON AND ITS NOT RIGHT JUST BECAUSE U BELIEVE THE JETS FRONT OFFICE LIES... AND DARRELLE DOES HAVE A FAMILY BTW... HE HAS 2 KIDS

I keep thinking of this speech by Don Vito when it comes to Revis:

Don Corleone: You talk about vengance. Is vengance going to bring your son back to you or my boy to me? I forgo the vengance of my son. But my youngest son had to leave this country because of this Sollozzo business. So now I have to make arraingments to bring him back safely cleared of all these false charges. But I'm a supersticious man. And if some unluck accident should befall him, if he should be shot in the head by a police officer, or if should hang himself in his jail cell, or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning... then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room... and that, I do not forgive. But, that aside, let say that I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made here today.

should the Jets lose their SB shot because of a Randy Moss or Brandon Marshall 4th quarter TD it's going to be hard to ever forgive Revis if he holds out some games or the whole season

Why would a Jets fan or any NFL fan do that? Neither the NFL nor the Jets need Darrelle Shavar Revis; Darrelle Shavar Revis needs the NFL.

Hypothetically: Let say Revis holds out indefinitely. The Jets never budge, never release him, never renegotiate, and stick to a policy of if you want to play you play for us for $1 million dollars.

What will happen? Will the Jets stop playing football? Will the NFL cease to exist? Will fans stop watching the games on TV and come to the stadium? Will Dicks sporting good stop selling Nike apparel? Nope. None of this will happen. Jets might sell a few less PSLs, the Jets might win a few less games, but the NFL will continue to go about its merry way. The Jets will still field 11 men on defense on every play. There will still be 53 men on the Jets roster. You will continue to root for the Jets and I will continue to root against them.

OTOH, What would happen on to Revis? He might become the highest paid player in the AFL or CFL. A few folks might show up to an autograph signing in a NJ mall. But for the most part he will become irrelevant. Dicks and Nike will find new spokesmen and shoot new ads.

The Jets existed for 50 years before Revis arrived and will continue to exist after he leaves even if that is this year or in 10 years from now.

Revis isn't the reason why folks started caring about the Jets. The Jets are the only reason anybody cares about Revis. That true for any and every player.

There is iron in your words of life.

Archived